Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 10:35   #451
BANNED

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Having a small issue with Headlights of my Duster AWD.

When Car is washed or driven in rains, headlights gather moisture. Can anyone highlight the reason for this ?
Old 30th November 2015, 20:46   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I have a oneplus2 as well, and I see similar complaints on their forums. This is most likely an issue with the phone, rather than the ICE on the Duster.
Some update on the phonebook sync. Apparently you will need a bluetooth app with PBAP support now to connect for phonebook sync. One of the app recommended is 'Bluetooth Phonebook' and I tested with the trial version of this and it works. Looks like a lot of vehicle ICE platforms have this issue post the Lolipop release. Now the safety of this app is a question mark and one more app asking for all possible access.

HTH.

Regards, M
Old 1st December 2015, 12:53   #453
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Having a small issue with Headlights of my Duster AWD.

When Car is washed or driven in rains, headlights gather moisture. Can anyone highlight the reason for this ?
Some models of a particular batch were affected with this problem and have got their headlights changed by Renault as it is a known issue. You must do the same, take it up with the service center.
Old 1st December 2015, 13:14   #454
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Some models of a particular batch were affected with this problem and have got their headlights changed by Renault as it is a known issue. You must do the same, take it up with the service center.
Already raised this issue and yesterday vsited Service Centre.

My Bad luck, they were not having both side assemblies in stock.

They assured that before Saturday they will replace it.
Old 2nd December 2015, 22:48   #455
BHPian

My Duster AWD broke down yesterday due to clutch issues. The trident Renault roadside assistance was prompt and vehicle was picked up in a flat bed truck and dropped in Renault Silk board. That is where all hell broke loose. The SA called me and said clutch is worn out and I need to replace the assembly and the next day he calls and says the flywheel is completely burnt and I need to replace the flywheel.
Cost estimate
Clutch assembly 18.5K + tax
Flywheel 32k + tax
To add to the woes, they dont stock AWD clutch assembly and the part needs to come from chennai. With the current state of affairs in chennai he can't provide an ETA for delivery.
Current odo reading is 25.5K in an year.

My obvious question is , is this normal, I have a heavy left & right foot, but will flywheel burn so fast in 25K KMs?
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:35   #456
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
The SA called me and said clutch is worn out and I need to replace the assembly and the next day he calls and says the flywheel is completely burnt and I need to replace the flywheel.
What!! What were you doing with your car? Have you had a history of clutch replacement in any of your previous cars as well? If so, it boils down to your driving style.

Because, the AWD is much better in its gearing and engine response than the regular 110 PS duster and should result in lesser instances of having to let the clutch slip to keep momentum in Bangalore traffic.

Do you use the 1st gear or the 2nd gear when moving from a standstill?

Do you use a lot of engine braking when slowing down? Just guessing because you mentioned a heavy left foot.

Otherwise, it seems to be a faulty installation, would be informative to see the pictures of the wear pattern on the clutch plates and the flywheel. If you flywheel has been shot you might be facing problems of the clutch not disengaging/engaging properly.

Whatever happened, please keep us updated as the matter progresses, would be interesting to know what warranted the clutch to its early demise
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:49   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The can't provide an ETA for delivery.
Current odo reading is 25.5K in an year.

My obvious question is , is this normal, I have a heavy left & right foot, but will flywheel burn so fast in 25K KMs?
This seems very abnormal man. My friends who also has an AWD like me has been using it continuously in the hills for over 30K kilometers and still on his original clutch.

The 4WD gearing is much shorter than 2WD and generally there is no reason to ride the clutch as much as the 110 duster 6-Speed.

I think you should escalate to Renault and see if you can get a part goodwill warranty.
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:12   #458
BHPian

Yes...it is my driving style is what I think too. My earlier car was manza and as you can check in that thread I've had similar issues. 2 counts my fault and 4 counts tata's fault- had to replace clutch within 1000 kms.
I use 2nd gear to move as per Renault manual for duster. And yes I do a lot of engine breaking (breaking without pressing clutch). High time to correct my driving style I guess.
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:28   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes...it is my driving style is what I think too. My earlier car was manza and as you can check in that thread I've had similar issues. 2 counts my fault and 4 counts tata's fault- had to replace clutch within 1000 kms.
I use 2nd gear to move as per Renault manual for duster. And yes I do a lot of engine breaking (breaking without pressing clutch). High time to correct my driving style I guess.
Never too late to correct a wrong, better learn fast, it's already cost you a pretty penny. Btw, I admire your honesty and more importantly your courage to come clean on your driving style being the culprit, rather than blaming the manufacturer or service centre. Kudos to you!!!
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:38   #460

Question: why would engine bracking be a problem? Also. I use 2nd gear to start often on flat roads (the awd manual specifically recommends the same) - is that going to be an issue
Old 4th December 2015, 00:35   #461
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes I do a lot of engine breaking (breaking without pressing clutch). High time to correct my driving style I guess.
Don't be so quick in the diagnosis... Did you get hold of the pictures of the worn plates and fly wheel?

Have you been driving a lot in heavy vehicles or old jeeps which had really bad brakes? The only vehicle I have driven in which engine braking was a must was a MM540 with an XD3P engine, and of course my pre-owned 2009 Royal Enfield Thunderbird. Used the Jeep for a short spin only but had been using my Thunderbird extensively and had to change its clutch within 18,000 kms.

On a separate note guys, Its already been raised in this thread before by DIBISENA2, the case where transmission assembly was changed on his duster within 300km because he noticed a mechanical grinding noise from under the car while accelerating from 60-70 kmph in 6th gear. I tried doing the same in my car today, and guess what...??

The grinding noise is definitely there. It seems like the kind of noise coming from the gearbox when a gear is not fully engaged (like somewhere in between R and N, or 1st and N) and you release the clutch. Something like the dog clutch of the synchromesh mechanism slipping. Its not the sound of the engine lugging since there were no jerks and the frequency of the sound was much higher than the frequency of the sound from the engine. It definitely comes from the under side of the car. I was really scared of doing major damage to the car and as soon as I heard it I eased off the throttle and shifted down to 5th.

I request you all to check this in your cars so that we can understand what's the source of this noise.

Could it be that the 4wd transfer case starts to disengage since the vehicle is crossing 60 kmph mark (the point where the 4wd clutch should disengage), but due to the engine rpm (as a result, rpm of the gears in the gearbox) not being high and the disengaging mechanism being driven by centrifugal force of rotating parts does not disengage in on/off (rather in progressive/prolonged) fashion which causes some partially meshing parts to cause this noise?
Old 4th December 2015, 18:04   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I request you all to check this in your cars so that we can understand what's the source of this noise.

Could it be that the 4wd transfer case starts to disengage since the vehicle is crossing 60 kmph mark (the point where the 4wd clutch should disengage), but due to the engine rpm (as a result, rpm of the gears in the gearbox) not being high and the disengaging mechanism being driven by centrifugal force of rotating parts does not disengage in on/off (rather in progressive/prolonged) fashion which causes some partially meshing parts to cause this noise?
What mode should I be on to verify this? AUTO? I drive in AUTO by default (I want to believe that forcing 2WD forever might never engage the rear diff and like all things that remain unused, it may cause problems?)

I have observed a few things on my AWD with my 6.5K on the Odo
1) Mild grinding noises like you have mentioned when I accelerate at 60s, but I could not pin point when and where or could consistently reproduce
2) I also feel a grinding sound/roughness when I depress the brake at slow speeds (under 20kph) which usually ends with sudden "lock" on the tyres at near stand still (Maybe this is characteristic? I love the braking though)
3) My steering slightly aligns left (maybe 3 deg.) when I let the AWD roll on a straight road. I do not see any wear on my tyres nor does the steering feel strained. There have also been times when this mis-alignment does not occur. Am I hallucinating or should I take it for alignment?
4) I find very strong feedback from the road on the steering and B/C pedals. But none of the roughness is felt on my seat (the duster cushions it)
5) Engaging cruise control causes the vehicle to "sprint" to the designated speed when I expect it to be gradual. It gets unnerving to me and passengers at times as though the A pedal has been floored.
6) My wipers leave a wipe mark in mild rain and that takes an extra moment to dry causing poor visibility, especially on the right side of the road near the kerb.
7) Slotting gears from the 4th to 5th is not swift, I sometimes overshoot and struggle for the slot or usually abort+retry.
Old 4th December 2015, 19:10   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrocious View Post
What mode should I be on to verify this? AUTO? I drive in AUTO by default (I want to believe that forcing 2WD forever might never engage the rear diff and like all things that remain unused, it may cause problems?)
I've faced a few of the issues that you've mentioned.

There is a sound during braking but I've noticed it's usually first thing in the morning and when the car has been running for a bit, it disappears. My guess is that the brakes are cold and after using them for a bit, they warm up and I don't hear the sound.

Also, I faced the same issue of the car pulling slightly to the left sometimes. I got the alignment done and the rotation too since I'm at 25,000 km plus. Didn't make a difference. Told the service guys about it when I gave the car for the third service. They said they did the alignment and it was gone for the most part. However, I took the car straight to the pump and checked the pressures. Left was at 38psi and right was at 31psi. On getting both down to 30-31psi, it was back. So, no solution yet for that.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2015 at 19:16. Reason: Reduced length of quoted post
Old 4th December 2015, 20:32   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5) Engaging cruise control causes the vehicle to "sprint" to the designated speed when I expect it to be gradual. It gets unnerving to me and passengers at times as though the A pedal has been floored.
The same phenomenon happens in my Lodgy and as you said it is disconcerting. And on the last trip my family was ticked off with it supposing it to be my crazy driving. Now, I attain the desired speed normally and after I've attained it, engage cruise control. I use the "resume (R)" option only after manually attaining that preset speed. Works for me and no more whining from the back.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 4th December 2015 at 20:33.
Old 5th December 2015, 14:38   #465
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What mode should I be on to verify this? AUTO?
I tried it in 2WD. (Which actually contradicts my theory, still, just try it once in both modes.) I'll try it in AUTO and 4WD LOCK today.

Quote:
I drive in AUTO by default (I want to believe that forcing 2WD forever might never engage the rear diff and like all things that remain unused, it may cause problems?)
I did the same for a while however, have recently changed to 2WD and I use AUTO for situations like steep inclines and sand or mud or wading through water. It feels nice to turn the knob and feeling like you're feeding in the inputs to the car to gear up for a challenge.

Quote:
I have observed a few things on my AWD with my 6.5K on the Odo
1) Mild grinding noises like you have mentioned when I accelerate at 60s, but I could not pin point when and where or could consistently reproduce
Try accelerating, in 6th gear, from 55-75 kmph. Grinding should be audible as soon as you hit 60 kmph. Will Stop as soon as you ease off the throttle. Other grinding noises are just the sound from the exhaust system. Tinny sounds from the exhaust at certain rpms and loads sound like grinding noises inside the cabin.

Quote:
2) I also feel a grinding sound/roughness when I depress the brake at slow speeds (under 20kph) which usually ends with sudden "lock" on the tyres at near stand still (Maybe this is characteristic? I love the braking though)
Yes, that happens. Should be normal and have heard it in other cars as well.

Quote:
3) My steering slightly aligns left (maybe 3 deg.) when I let the AWD roll on a straight road. I do not see any wear on my tyres nor does the steering feel strained. There have also been times when this mis-alignment does not occur. Am I hallucinating or should I take it for alignment?
Similar to my car. I didn't know it was connected to the tyre pressure. I'll equalize the tyre pressure on all my tyres today. Although I had got it centered during thee 10K service it still is very slightly off center with a vague pattern, sometimes its noticeable and other times it isn't. I think its because of the play in the straight ahead position. Nothing to worry about, just doesn't look good, rather annoying.

Quote:
4) I find very strong feedback from the road on the steering and B/C pedals. But none of the roughness is felt on my seat (the duster cushions it)
Feedback from road on the steering is accentuated when rough sections are encountered when the wheel is turned more than a quarter turn accompanied by muted clanking sound from the front suspension struts. Its something I have been facing since the 2012 duster and is present on my AWD too, although Renault did change the suspension bushes under warranty on the 2012 duster which had done 70,000 km, this problem is still present as it was since day one.

Quote:
I've come to a conclusion that cruise control can only be used on highways like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway or the Yamuna Expressway where the traffic is well disciplined.

Quote:
6) My wipers leave a wipe mark in mild rain and that takes an extra moment to dry causing poor visibility, especially on the right side of the road near the kerb.
Wipers are really sad.

Quote:
7) Slotting gears from the 4th to 5th is not swift, I sometimes overshoot and struggle for the slot or usually abort+retry.
You'll soon get used to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks