Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 10:47   #511
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhiljaipurkar View Post
Hi,

I am seeing divergent figures for the 2nd free service charges. Also, some people have mentioned wheel balancing and alignment being included. Is that standard for the 2nd free service, and if so, have I been overcharged and under served ? The bill is attached.

Cheers,
Nikhil
Its not standard Nikhil. You can get it done outside.
The cost of Air Filter in your bill seems a bit higher.
Also, they should first seek your confirmation before going for the add-on jobs.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 10:49   #512
BHPian

I just came back from a trip to Davanagere. I got some insane FE. Below is my travel log:

Total distance traveled: 525.9 km
Fuel consumed: 27 L
Average FE: 19.4 km/l
Average Max: 20.2 km/l
Average Min: 18.4 km/l
Drive mode: Auto
AC: On, throughout the trip
Average Speed: 59.1 km/h
Max Speed: 90 Km/h
Places covered: Bangalore - Davanagere - Bangalore (with 2 stops, one in each direction)
Route taken: Basavanagudi - Mysore Road - ORR - NH4 - Davanagere - NH4 - Bangalore - Yeshwantpur - Dr. Rajkumar Road - Basavanagudi
Old 18th March 2016, 16:50   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Can you define "underdriving"?
Sorry for the delay, I was on a Duster trip for a day, 750 km of pleasant highway miles munched away.

Under-driving is when you shift to higher gears and let the engine struggle at low rpms, this is very common in India.

Try to be in the recommended rev range of the engine at any gear and you will never have problems. In 25 years I have been driving/riding I have never changed a clutch plate or a gear in any vehicle of mine, except when I had crossed 200000 km in them.

And please respect the gearbox, it is responsible for getting you places don't 'whack' the gear stick, slide it gently.
Old 20th March 2016, 11:32   #514
BHPian

Hello duster owners. Till last year and well into this one was almost certain about going in for the xuv 500 awd as the next vehicle purchase. However after seeing the new look 2016 duster have given serious thought to this capable vehicle. The facelift duster has been lambasted and received lots of thumb downs in the review on TBHP forum.
I still am confused about choosing between the xuv and duster. What are you owners views on the facelift is it worth going in for the car.
What I like -
Perfect car size for city conditions
Excellent riding conditions
Independent suspension

What I don't -
Only 2 airbags
Looses out on lots of features to the xuv
Plain interiors (read crimson )

Any inputs will be really helpful

Thanks
Vinit
Old 20th March 2016, 12:25   #515
BHPian

There is a lot of difference between the ride quality in the XUV AWD and the Duster AWD. The latter being much better. Of course the inclusion of other features of the XUV would have been better. However if you want a seven seater then its the XUV as Duster seats only 4 comfortably.
I own a Duster AWD and can vouch for the driving pleasure.
prabhatshah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 12:59   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post

Any inputs will be really helpful

Thanks
Vinit
If you want a 7 seater your choice is very simple - XUV AWD. If a 5 seater is all you want think no further than Duster AWD. The road manners are impeccable, it is completely car like and it does not sway around at high speeds and your spine will thank you all the way. I think this is the single most important feature of a car besides safety and reliability. Interior is tertiary IMO.
artrocious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 13:03   #517
BHPian

How is the clutch in duster? Heard it was hard clutch in the earlier models.
Old 20th March 2016, 17:58   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
There is a lot of difference between the ride quality in the XUV AWD and the Duster AWD. The latter being much better. Of course the inclusion of other features of the XUV would have been better. However if you want a seven seater then its the XUV as Duster seats only 4 comfortably.
I own a Duster AWD and can vouch for the driving pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artrocious View Post
If you want a 7 seater your choice is very simple - XUV AWD. If a 5 seater is all you want think no further than Duster AWD. The road manners are impeccable, it is completely car like and it does not sway around at high speeds and your spine will thank you all the way. I think this is the single most important feature of a car besides safety and reliability. Interior is tertiary IMO.
Hii guys appreciate the prompt response. It's just me wife mom and twin 1 year old boys so definitely don't need a 7 seater. I still would like your input about the facelift. Also for those from Mumbai/Navi Mumbai / Thane do we have a group where duster owners meet and have softroading incursions like many other vehicles in other cities have.

Vinit
Old 20th March 2016, 18:14   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Clutch needs from effort. No doubt. I have a 2015 Duster AWD.

But there is something about this clutch that makes it very hard to stall the engine. It is very forgiving on late or early shifts and keeps a smooth pickup curve through out the gear range. Never seen this in any of the vehicles I have driven.
Old 21st March 2016, 16:41   #520
BHPian

Anyone knows the difference between Duster AWD and XUV5OO AWD? I know that the latter is a borg-warner system but that is all.

I would assume that duster would be a superior off-roader than XUV5oo owing to its power to weight ratio.

Any thoughts from the experts?
Old 21st March 2016, 17:11   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The first Duster 110 2WD had a very heavy clutch and is a pain to drive stop and go traffic. The 110 4WD Duster has a different gearbox and the clutch is much lighter than the 110 2WD models. I don't find the clutch an issue at all. Later on Renault added a refit for the old 2WD, which is essentially a spring loaded assembly to ease the pressure off your foot. This contraption was retrofitted on my friend's 2WD Duster 110 at it made the clutch effort better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Anyone knows the difference between Duster AWD and XUV5OO AWD? I know that the latter is a borg-warner system but that is all.
The 4WD systems of both are fairly capable. As you said the XUV uses the Borg Warner System. Renault and Nissan family of off-roaders, I think share the Haldex system, which is the same supplied to Audi, VW, etc, etc...

But just putting in a 4WD system into an SUV doesnt' make it capable, there are other issues like suspension travel/articulation, Ground clearance, etc, power to weight ratio, approach/departure/ramp over angles, etc that are of equal importance. This is where the Duster outclasses the XUV.

Quote:
I would assume that duster would be a superior off-roader than XUV5oo owing to its power to weight ratio.

As discussed above, from an off-road perspective, Duster will win hands down for the reasons, mentioned above. However, the XUV has much more space and features inside. So, you need to figure out if you are willing to compromise on a bit on the off-road aspect to get more space, an extra set of seats and more features...
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 17:26   #522
BHPian

Quote:

Any thoughts from the experts?
Duster AWD system is developed by Nissan. As per the info available online, its the same system fitted on x-trail.

More details on Daciaforum UK:
http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/to...47-4wd-system/
http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/to...ial-lock-work/
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:13   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch is no longer a concern. The AWD' clutch is lighter than our Fiesta's. We have the RXL in the family. That was some variant! So sad Renault pulled the plug on that one.

And the shorter gears and excellent drivability means, one doesn't have to use the clutch that much at all. AWD is terrific in the city.
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:06   #524
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The first Duster 110 2WD had a very heavy clutch and is a pain to drive stop and go traffic. The 110 4WD Duster has a different gearbox and the clutch is much lighter than the 110 2WD models. I don't find the clutch an issue at all. Later on Renault added a refit for the old 2WD, which is essentially a spring loaded assembly to ease the pressure off your foot. This contraption was retrofitted on my friend's 2WD Duster 110 at it made the clutch effort better.

The 4WD systems of both are fairly capable. As you said the XUV uses the Borg Warner System. Renault and Nissan family of off-roaders, I think share the Haldex system, which is the same supplied to Audi, VW, etc, etc...

But just putting in a 4WD system into an SUV doesnt' make it capable, there are other issues like suspension travel/articulation, Ground clearance, etc, power to weight ratio, approach/departure/ramp over angles, etc that are of equal importance. This is where the Duster outclasses the XUV.

As discussed above, from an off-road perspective, Duster will win hands down for the reasons, mentioned above. However, the XUV has much more space and features inside. So, you need to figure out if you are willing to compromise on a bit on the off-road aspect to get more space, an extra set of seats and more features...

This is solid feedback. Most people seem to be getting influenced by the "romance" of off road driving, little knowing the wear and tear on the vehicle, the after off road, maintenance that is required and so on.

After seeing some of those trails in the west and some of the rough country roads in various parts of the world, Im seeing that for the most part, what we really need in India is a tough car with decent ground clearance, good torque and low end and that even 2WD will do for the most part. 4WD is not strictly necessary here which is why the percentage of sales is lower.

Incidentally, even in rural France, the most common vehicles that you are likely to see would be old Peugeots, Renaults, Citroens and specifically a number of those 2CV's. Those little light vehicles will go anywhere, quite literally. In rural Italy the sheer number of Fiat 500's, Uno's and Puntos and Linea's that you see are quite amazing. None of these have 4WD. However, all of them without exception have excellent "hard" suspension, to take those cobblestoned roads easily in their stride. French vehicles have long been renowned for their excellent suspension and this is mostly because they do have some terrible roads there plus the point about cobblestones which would shake up your teeth if you rode in a car with poor suspension!

The 4WD system used in the Duster is Nissan's 4WD system and is similar to what is used in the Qashqai as well as other vehicles in that family. It also uses the Haldex Clutch system as used in VW, Skoda, Audi etc.

In the colder bits of Europe and the US, why 4WD sells, is because of frequent conditions of Ice and Snow on the roads. But larger concentrations of these bigger 4WD SUV type vehicles are owned by the Urban Poseurs. The rural boys typically manage with older generation SUV's if at all. Relatively few of them splurge big bucks on the latest 4WD systems - that is left to the city zillionaires who are wannabe country-gents to do!

The Duster is really capable even in its 2WD avatar. With this re-set clutch if the driving experience becomes more comfortable, that is a very good thing indeed.
Overall, I think the Duster is just absolutely perfect for India - the suspension is simply superb.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:47   #525
BHPian

Thanks 4x4addict, C300. I was just curious to understand the difference in the AWD systems between the two few links in the net on Borg-Warner and Nissan's own system is good info.

@Shankar.Balan, Maybe my question would have alluded to "offroad" usage but as I said, it was more from curiosity than anything else . However, I do not agree that AWD is only needed for off-road reasons.

1. In this particular case we have duster available in FWD avatar. To my understanding a FWD car is more prone to under-steer than a AWD, so given an emergency maneuver you would definitely have more control with an AWD than an FWD only car. However, if you have ESC (only in top end), that does iron out some of this issue even in a FWD car .

2. In my stay in US and europe, the AWD cars are popular in areas where it snows a lot. I am not saying that AWD does magic when it snows, but along with proper snow tires/chains AWD does provide a lot more control over the car than otherwise.

3. Even in slippery conditions in india e:g:- when it rains, I do think that an AWD car may be tad bit more safer than an purely FWD car..

Agree, for all above conditions you don't need an "offroad type" AWD system , a regular AWD is just fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks