Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 01:08   #886

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

The cost of the adapter is 4500/- . I Dont want to spend that much. Dropped a note to sony, awaiting reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I remember from some video on YouTube that the Japanese audio players like Pioneer and Sony have configurations for the steering mounted controls, but these work for Honda, Toyota and/or Japanese cars directly.

Hence I'm not too sure if it can be made to work for Duster directly. But heard that it can be done via an adaptor or so.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:58   #887
BHPian

Hi Team,
I was wondering if there is any way to enable the gear shift indicator in AWD or other facelifted variants of Duster other than AMT

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-screenshot_20180925100031.jpg

Last edited by ARAY : 25th September 2018 at 10:01.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:26   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Hi Team,
I was wondering if there is any way to enable the gear shift indicator in AWD or other facelifted variants of Duster other than AMT

Attachment 1801889
Its enabled in the earlier AWD variant. Isn't it there in facelifted Dusters? Better to check with ASC.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:33   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Its enabled in the earlier AWD variant. Isn't it there in facelifted Dusters? Better to check with ASC.
Is it
I have seen few pre facelifted duster AWDs and its not enabled. Atleast not by default unless there are some settings thats needs to be revoked the same should apply for Facelifted AwDs .
Old 25th September 2018, 11:37   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Is it
I have seen few pre facelifted duster AWDs and its not enabled. Atleast not by default unless there are some settings thats needs to be revoked the same should apply for Facelifted AwDs .
ok..Just to be clear the gear shift indicator is an arrow indicating up or down shift. It wont show the number. That's what I meant.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:43   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
ok..Just to be clear the gear shift indicator is an arrow indicating up or down shift. It wont show the number. That's what I meant.
Nope! Thats already there , I was looking for the gear indicator. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 25th September 2018, 23:34   #892
Distinguished - BHPian

My Duster AWD has completed 1800 km in 25 days.

Initial impression till now is quite satisfactory.

The ride quality is excellent.

The brakes are good.

Gear shift is smooth.

Ac is just satisfactory. Its not a chiller but keeps you cool. The climate control button has a mind of its own! Once or twice it simply refused to get on & then again it worked perfectly.

The Medianav was hanging when i tried to sync it with my Iphone 6S but without syncing the Bluetooth works fine. My phone is loaded with 1500+ contacts, so that might be a reason.
The rear-view camera display is good at night but in day time it gets a bit difficult to see when there is sufficient light inside the cabin.

Getting a healthy mileage of 16+ according to the MID till now. 60-70% of my drives were on highways.

Few pics from the first few drives-

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-duster.jpg

Now the not so good part-

Today i noticed a problem. After a 140 km drive when i parked my car with A/C off, the RPM needle was fluctuating at idle. I switched off the engine and again switched it on and it was fine. Am a bit worried because with the same problem Bhpian Delix's Duster Awd was diagnosed with a faulty injector which was replaced under warranty. I asked few of my friends to share the idling RPM of their respective Duster's and they were rock steady.

Attaching a video of my Duster's RPM meter for reference.

Attaching the video of Bhpian Delix's Duster AWD with the same issue-

Both the video's look similar.

The first service is at 2,000 km mark. So will be taking my car for the first service soon. Hope it gets resolved.

Last edited by Samba : 25th September 2018 at 23:52.
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 09:54   #893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Ac is just satisfactory. Its not a chiller but keeps you cool.
I do drive a 110 PS [very first lot] Duster regularly and post an after market condenser change, the AC is a chiller, the same gent's Creta SX(O) isn't a patch on Duster's cooling ability.

Quote:
Today i noticed a problem.
I have seen a similar trait in a Brezza post gunning it for over 150kms, though the fluctuation wasn't so rapid, it was slow. What does PapaBravo have to say? Make sure he is present at the time of service, bribe him well.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 23:23   #894
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I do drive a 110 PS [very first lot] Duster regularly and post an after market condenser change, the AC is a chiller, the same gent's Creta SX(O) isn't a patch on Duster's cooling ability.
Can you get the details of the make and model of the aftermarket condenser for us folks.
Old 28th September 2018, 20:46   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today i noticed a problem. After a 140 km drive when i parked my car with A/C off, the RPM needle was fluctuating at idle.
...Bhpian Delix's Duster Awd was diagnosed with a faulty injector which was replaced under warranty. I asked few of my friends to share the idling RPM of their respective Duster's and they were rock steady.
There are multiple reasons a common rail diesel engine will 'surge' or 'hunt' at idle, as you have described. Unfortunately, this is not showing up as a DTC, in which case the resolution would have been easier. And 1800km is rather too early for injectors to need replacement.

My suspicion would be on a) fuel quality, or b) MAF sensor (but this should have thrown an error code).

In any case, I look forward to knowing what solution Renault offers to resolve the hunting at idle. Looks like this is a known issue with the particular engine...
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:03   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba;4467376

[B
Now the not so good part- [/b]

Today i noticed a problem. After a 140 km drive when i parked my car with A/C off, the RPM needle was fluctuating at idle. I switched off the engine and again switched it on and it was fine.

Attaching a video of my Duster's RPM meter for reference.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=jCXD...ature=Youtu.be
Update-

For the 1st service i went to Renault service center at Barasat as its near to my house.

I told the service advisor about the rpm fluctuation which happened. He took a note of it and insisted me on doing the under body 3m rust protection paint and engine lacquering! I politely denied on both and told him, as i have the Gang of Duster membership, i have a coupon for free engine lacquering and some discount on 3m under body protection. He was not happy but had to agree. Then he insisted me to apply grease on battery terminals and door locks. I again declined that.

Our appointment was given at 12-30pm. Finally after all these, a mechanic came to inspect my car after 2pm. They had lunch break in between. Easily they could have called me at 2pm rather than wasting my time. He connected the OBD scanner and found no error. I was updated the same and i asked the service advisor to get my car washed and give it back.

Then came the shocking part. I was seating on the customers lounge and this guy called me. He told me, he got the reason for the rare RPM fluctuation.
The reason given was, my car's diesel has water in it! He showed my some diesel and water mixture in a container and told me, he took out that diesel from my cars diesel tank. So he told me, i have to leave my car for a couple of days. He will open the diesel tank, remove the fuel, clean the tank and change the diesel filter. It will be a paid job. I always refuel from noted company operated pumps.

I asked him to take out some diesel from the tank in front of me and show me the same. He declined and told, i wont be able to identify it!

Then I asked him to take out some fuel from the fuel tank in front of me in a container, so i can take it to a nearby Bharat Petrol Bunk and get the Litmus paper test done. Again they kept mum.

I asked, then how did you guys identify it? The mechanic told he got water from the diesel filter. My reply was, if there is water in diesel filter the warning lamp in the dashboard must glow. They had no answer.

I told the service advisor to put back the parts and release my car. For that his reply was, if i do so, he will update that, i was driving my car with water in fuel, so i wont be eligible for any further warranty claims from Renault! Then he took few pics of my car and the opened parts! God knows why!

Plus when i asked him, if he can guarantee me that, after this work is done the RPM fluctuation will never occur, he refrained from saying so.

I was shocked to see the diesel filter of my car! How can a 2000 km run car's diesel filter become like this. I suspect a foul play over here but i have no proof. They have not opened it in front of me. There explanation was, i used adulterated fuel and my diesel tank had mud and dirt in it!

Few pics from the parts that were opened!

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_9415.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_9417.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_9418.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_9419.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_9420.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_9421.jpg

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-img_9423.jpg

I knew the service manager of Renault Budge Budge through my friend Abhisek Lahiri who is also a Duster AWD owner. I called up Renault Budge Budge and asked them to tell these guys to release my car, so i can take my car to Budge Budge service center and get it checked over there. The service manager over there took some time and did the needful. So the service advisor at Renault Barasat asked his mechanics to refit the parts and release my car. Those guys were having a tough time to refit the parts but ultimately they managed! Finally i took my 2,000 km run, 1 month old car, back home.

After a day i took my car to Renault Budge Budge service center.

These guys were professional, no pressurizing for any unwanted add on's. They gave me an appointment at 9-30 am and by 9-45 am they started working on my car. The service advisor, service manager both took special care of my car.

They promptly opened the diesel filter and cleaned it with diesel and told me, there is no need to change it. They took out some diesel and got it checked.
They found the fuel to be absolutely fine with no fuel water mixture or any adulteration! After that the mechanic siphoned out some fuel again to look inside the tank for dirt and mud. The tank looked to be super neat with no traces of dirt!

Several test drives were taken, car was connected with the OBD scanner, they checked the injectors and told everything is fine in my car. The rpm fluctuation could not be replicated. These guys cleaned the air-filter and mostly sprayed the MAF sensor too.
There diagnosis was, car is brand new, so may be after a long hard drive, once or twice the ecu took a bit of time to settle down. They advised me to drive the car as of now, the problem should go away. If it persists, it should increase with time and then the OBD scanner must show some error.

At the end a clean chit was issued to my car and reconfirmed me that no warranty will be void. I was charged nothing for the whole exercise.

What a relief at the end.

Just a word of caution to Renault owners in Kolkata, please avoid their Barasat service center! The Budge Budge service center is big, honest and much better equipped.

Last edited by Samba : 2nd October 2018 at 16:31.
Samba is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:51   #897
BHPian

Congrats on your beloved Beast Samba da. Wishing you many happymiles with her.
AKSen2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 08:00   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Just a word of caution to Renault owners in Kolkata, please avoid their Barasat service center! The Budge Budge service center is big, honest and much better equipped.
Hi Samba, what you had to face at the said dealership is very serious and really unfortunate. Dealerships like this one should really be punished, rather banned.

I normally get a call from Renault Customer Service after every visit to the Service Center for repairs or service, and I make sure to put every mistake of the service center on record so that Renault hauls them up and makes sure corrective measures are taken.

I would urge you to put the entire episode on record and write to customer@renault.com with cc to Renault India's CEO at sumit.sawhney@renault.com (got this email id from internet through google search). Also, tweet to Renault India on their official Twitter handle.

Two years back, when I was facing some issue, I had tweeted to them and I got immediate revert from Renault and they at least followed up on my issue.
Touringlawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 06:29   #899
Team-BHP Support

Was watching this video on YouTube and in one frame saw the Duster. Amazed to see it in Africa, the Land Cruiser (erstwhile Land Rover) country!

A screenshot showing the Duster -

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-screenshot_201810070147072.png
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 12:11   #900
BHPian

Hi,
My 110 has done 107000 Km and had developed a 'misfire' kind of response while starting off. This would happen only once during the pressing of accelerator also. Had it for almost 1-2 months now and finally brought the vehicle in for checkup.
Though it was not diagnosed initially ,the mechanic suggested to start from the EGR valve cleaning and that brings to this post.

The EGR valve cleaning had a noticeable difference in power delivery and fuel mileage improvement also. He was surprised that the work was not suggested to me earlier ,given that mine has done 100K km. He remarked that it's better to get the work done every 40-50K km or so.

Best part being that this costs only Rs.600/- .

The 'misfire ' was finally traced to a faulty Purge Valve and was replaced.
Cheers
jmktm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed