Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 11:49   #916
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Losar to Gramphoo - Spiti Expedition - Renault Duster AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Undoubtedly, it was the most surreal driving experience of my life - exciting, thrilling, risky, fearful, amazingly beautiful - all at the same time.
A great experience shared.

Can you please give us details of the whole roof rack set-up. Components and cost and where you bought it from?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 12:38   #917
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Touringlawyer, great pictures and happy to hear that the Duster did this drive without problems. I had traveled this route in September 2015 with a Dzire which broke down after the last water crossing before Gramphoo. Now I have a Duster AWD and would like to travel this route next year. Did you have any trouble starting the Duster in the morning in the sub zero temperatures? I suppose the road to Chadratal would have been closed during your drive.

You should really write a travelogue with details of the journey. Look forward to the travelogue.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 13:31   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
A great experience shared.

Can you please give us details of the whole roof rack set-up. Components and cost and where you bought it from?
Hi,

Please check my following posts. They have all the details you need.

Check post #84

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...arriers-6.html (Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers)

Check post #153 for the Roof Carrier Bag

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ur-car-11.html (Small, yet value-adding Accessories for your car)

Check post #12

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi...r-3-noida.html (Maintenance, repairs, mods & spare parts - Classic Service Point (Sector 3, Noida))

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Last edited by Touringlawyer : 4th December 2018 at 13:35. Reason: Grammatical correction
Touringlawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 14:12   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Did you have any trouble starting the Duster in the morning in the sub zero temperatures? I suppose the road to Chadratal would have been closed during your drive.

You should really write a travelogue with details of the journey. Look forward to the travelogue.
Hi,

No, I did not have any trouble starting in the sub-zero temperatures. But that is thanks to the advice I got from the chef / caretaker of the Hotel I was staying at. He told me to start the vehicle and let the engine run for 40-45 mins at about 9 pm and again wake up at around 2 am at night and do the same thing. Though I did keep the engine running for 40-45 mins at 9 pm, I did not have the courage to step out in - 20 degrees at 2 am (apparently the temperature is the minimum around that time), so I took my chances and luckily for me, the Duster started in first attempt itself.

But interestingly I noticed that for his own old bolero, the same guy would keep the engine running for about 1 hour, then put a huge blanket over the engine and then close the bonnet. He had also covered his diesel tank with a huge plastic sheet. I guess he didn't advice me all of this because my Duster was a newer modern vehicle as compared to the Bolero.
Touringlawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 17:16   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks, I have been meaning to write a detailed travelogue about our recent Spiti Expedition in the Duster AWD, with our 2 dogs. We started from Noida on 13th October 2018 and traveled via Shimla, Sangla, Chitkul, Kalpa, Tabo, Kaza, Losar, Manali, Shimla - and back to Noida on 26th October 2018.
Oh come on. Don't give us such a small sneak peek !! Please write a travelogue for your trip. The videos and pictures are outstanding. Happy that the Duster is taking you places.

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 10:27   #921
BHPian

5th Year Extended Warranty - 100000 KMs

Hi folks,

While I was at the service center yesterday for my 40000 Kms service, I was informed by the Renault guys that 5th Year Extended Warranty - 100000 Kms is now available.

For my Duster AWD August 2016 model, I have been quoted Rs. 11255.

Have any of you bought this extended warranty for 5th Year - 100000 Kms? What was the cost quoted to you?

Also, please do share thoughts on the value proposition of this 5th Year - 100000 Kms Extended Warranty. Is it worthwhile to buy the same.

Best
Old 21st December 2018, 12:40   #922
BHPian

The 5th year warranty is good as it covers the Diesel injectors, each of which costs over 25K. In addition, you get roadside assistance free, which is also good. The cost is standard and is offered by Renault, not the dealer.

I am in the fourth year of my warranty and will definitely upgrade to 5 upto 7 year warranty. I have covered 50,000 km and plan some Leh, Nepal, Bhutan trips next year.
Old 26th December 2018, 19:07   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

How much does this timing belt replacement cost?
2016 model onwards one of the belt need to be changed at 60k and other at 120k. I don't remember the exact details. Costed me about 14k for parts and labour. They gave me back the old belt and to a normal eye it was as good as new.

I had a leaking rear shock also and my next door alignment guy has asked me to change it. I asked the service center guy to check it. After checking they told that it's not an issue. leak is present, but need to change only if there is sound. They were not eager to suggest any replacement. Good or bad I was releived as I did not want to spend another 15k the same month.

Last edited by nettooran : 26th December 2018 at 19:20.
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 22:06   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

15k for a single strut+spring+shock absorber is daylight robbery! Why are they so expensive to change? Are they by any chance electrically controlled even if in a basic way?
Old 28th December 2018, 09:53   #925
BHPian

After a wonderful year of trouble free driving, the vehicle did not start yesterday. On turning the ignition, all the dashboard display lights lit up briefly and died. I was puzzled and called up the roadside assistance.
After an hour, a mechanic turned up with a battery and jump start cables and we managed to drive the vehicle home. I wonder if the battery is dead. It is just 3 years old and is the stock Exide battery.

Called Renault service to ask a mechanic to have a look at the electricals and suggest next course of action. They replied that they will try to arrange. Waiting...

I had changed one rear shock during the 50K service and it cost about 5.5 k, without changing the coil spring.
Old 31st December 2018, 09:54   #926
BHPian

After a day of waiting, Renault confirmed that the stock Exide battery, which was just 3 years old had two dead cells. They offered another Exide battery, which I declined. Contacted the Amaron battery dealer and bought it for Rs 6100 on exchange with the old Exide. After this the vehicle is back to life. Renault charged Rs177 for changing the battery at their workshop.

I felt Renault service could have done a faster job and confirmed the dead battery at the first instance.
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:06   #927
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: 5th Year Extended Warranty - 100000 KMs

Quote:
Have any of you bought this extended warranty for 5th Year - 100000 Kms? What was the cost quoted to you?

Is it worthwhile to buy the same.
I had the 5th year / 1,00,000 km extension done in October. My car went for the 80,000 km service and the turbocharger needed replacement. was covered in warranty. I am a satisfied customer but have really begun to doubt the reliability and longevity of the parts on the vehicle.

Following Repairs have been done in warranty thus far (approx costs):
  • 3 Shock absorbers (INR 21,000/-)
  • Inter-cooler Hose+clip (INR 4000/-)
  • INter-cooler hose seal (INR 640/-)
  • Read Differential (INR 1,57,000/-)
  • AC control box (INR 27,000/-)
  • Turbocharger (INR 74,000/-)
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 16:33   #928
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I was crunching some numbers while going through the entire service history of my June 2015 AWD which has completed 80,000 Km till date. Ended up making a spreadsheet detailing each expense on the car including warranty repairs, body work, insurance premiums etc. Following numbers might interest some of you:
  • Total spent on Regular Maintenance: Rs. 1,13,313/-
  • Cost of Regular Maintenance : 1.42 Rs./Km
  • Total spent on Extended Warranty: Rs. 24,080/- (not sure)
  • Cost of Extended Warranty: 0.30 Rs/Km
  • Cost of repairs under warranty: Rs. 2,32,685/-
  • Total Spent on Insurance Premiums: Rs. 1,41,295/-
  • Cost of Insurance Premiums: 1.77 Rs/Km
  • Cost of repairs under Insurance: 80,681/-
  • Total spent on Tyres: Rs. 61,000/- (Assuming current set has 10 % life left)
  • Cost of Tyres: 0.76 Rs/Km

If we add up the costs, running the AWD costs
Rs. 4.25 per Km in maintenance
Rs. 3.83 per Km in fuel

Overall Running Expense of Rs 8.10 per Km
Tgo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 14:37   #929
BHPian

Completed 50k service for our Aug-15 Dusty. Total cost 7.7k. No niggles faced during past year. They adivised rear suspension change during 60k service. Stock tyres are good for another 10k. Asked about the rear differential oil change..they advised not to change it. Need to check this with Renault. Its been hasslefree ownership so far. This car is great for long drives and the ride quality is unmatched.
Old 6th January 2019, 20:00   #930
Senior - BHPian

I am a little confused. Many folks have had trouble free service with their Dusters. Others have had nightmares. Does this point to inconsistent quality control at manufacturing or is the Duster sensitive to the way its driven. There is no clear direction that can help say whether the Duster is an economical and reliable car to own or whether its the case of pot luck.

Really wanting to hear about expert views on this.

Most Viewed