Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2019, 18:58   #961
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Hi Folks,

Today, I changed my stock MRF Wanderer Tyres, run 44538 Kms, and replaced them with Yokohama Geolander A/T Tyres. Same Size.

Yokohama tyres cost me Rs. 7900/- per tyre. Bought them from Tyre Emporium, Malviya Nagar, New Delhi. Before deciding to buy from this shop, I called up about 4-5 shops in Delhi NCR (I live in Noida), and the price offered by Tyre Emporium was the best, by a good margin.

Alignment was free with the tyres; the dealer charged me for the weights put on the tyres, which came to Rs. 450/-. In total, I paid him Rs. 32000.

My stock MRF tyres could have gone on for 3000-4000 Kms more, but as one of the tyres had a sidewall edge puncture and the same was troubling me regularly (despite a mushroom puncture fix), I decided to replace the tyres without waiting any further.

My first feedback about the Yokohama Tyres after driving them for about 40 Kms is that the ride was slightly bouncier, as compared to the ride with MRF Wanderer. Will update the forum in detail after driving about 5000 Kms.
Touringlawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 00:56   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Today, I changed my stock MRF Wanderer Tyres, run 44538 Kms, and replaced them with Yokohama Geolander A/T Tyres. Same Size.
Congrats on getting the Yoko's, they are are great compliment to your vehicle. Check the air pressure again, it seems the are overfilled. Yoko's are quite comfortable and I use them on my Pajero and the ride is excellent and so is the offroad grip and braking. They will be a little firmer since they are AT but nothing too hard. You could also lower the overall pressure by 1 psi.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd April 2019 at 06:33. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:13   #963
BHPian

Touringlawyer, you have got an attractive offer for the Yokos. I think I paid more than 8K each for the MRF stock tyres in Trivandrum. Is the price difference due to the state tax, I wonder? Your stock MRF tyres lasted much more than mine which I changed at 35k km. Look forward to your experience after using the tyres beyond 5k km.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 12:29   #964
BHPian

Hi,

Sad to say that my no.3 injector failed at 113k km and came at a Rs.29000/-+ labour bill.

I ndications seems similar to others. Sudden loss of power , misfiring and with 2 warning icons. ESP on right dial and one on left dial in red colour. On previous 2 occassions, this corrected itself after about 15 minutes or so. But this time I decided to go straight to the service dealer ..

Had also replaced the headlamp control stalk ( named- combination switch ? ) along the steering wheel ,about a month back . @ Rs.8500/-
Old 12th April 2019, 13:29   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmktm View Post
Sad to say that my no.3 injector failed at 113k km and came at a Rs.29000/-+ labour bill.
Sad to know about the injector. I am really appalled at the price of spares for Duster. It's too expensive to maintain.

Wish you many miles of a trouble free service now.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd April 2019 at 06:34. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 13th April 2019, 21:20   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmktm View Post
Just today I too lost one of my injectors. And this is the second time I've been hit with this injector failure in my 37k running.
It really pisses me off how Renault is taking us all for a ride by saying poor fuel quality is responsible for this when millions of other injectors in competitor vehicles are running for thousands of kilometres.
And the high priced so called new and advanced fuel filter is also a hoax it seems as it has not prevented any incidence of injector failure.

This clearly is a design failure, no matter how much Renault tries to blame poor fuel. And it seems that in the face of declining sales, Renault is bent on making some money this way from the injectors only.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd April 2019 at 06:34. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 13th April 2019, 21:49   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Just today I too lost one of my injectors. And this is the second time

Till now, mine was one of the few trouble free ones . Guess that pass has been used up now.

But to be realistic, this is the end result of lax regulations and non existent consumer rights in our country. Our politicians and officials are so busy doing their ' own' things , they have so little time to spend worrying about the loser citizens and his rights. Manufacturers will continue to behave this way only .

Thinking of getting a different vehicle. Waiting for the MG or the Kia SP model.

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2019 at 06:46. Reason: compacted post
Old 14th April 2019, 08:56   #968
BHPian

Shock Absorbers - When should be replaced - Renault Internal Memo

Yesterday I visited NCR Motors, Delhi to get one of my Shock Absorbers (Rear Right) changed as I thought it was leaking (Visible Oil leakage on the Shock Absorber). Also, since my Duster AWD (August 2016 model) is now under extended warranty (shock absorbers are not covered under extended warranty), I was planning to buy the new one (approx. Rs. 8000).

To my surprise, the Service Manager at NCR Motors informed me that what I see as a leaking Shock Absorber needing replacement, is actually regular seepage not requiring any replacement or repair.

Since he had dealt with me earlier, he showed me an Internal Memo circulated by Renault to all their dealers, which indicates in what conditions do the shock absorbers need replacement and in what conditions they do not. This Memo also had pictures of the 2 conditions (one that requires replacement and one that does not). He did not allow me to take pictures of the Memo, since it was an internal memo meant only for dealers.

All I could make out from that quick glance of the Memo and the pictures therein, was that if the visible oil part covers less than 1/3rd the length of the shock, it is normal as per Renault and does not require any replacement and if the visible oil part covers more than half the length of the shock absorber, it requires replacement.

If there is anyone here who has contacts with Renault and/or any Dealer, it would be really great, if you could procure a copy of this Memo and share it with the forum.
Touringlawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 09:02   #969
BHPian

Re: 5th Year Extended Warranty - 100000 KMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I had the 5th year / 1,00,000 km extension done in October. My car went for the 80,000 km service and the turbocharger needed replacement. was covered in warranty. I am a satisfied customer but have really begun to doubt the reliability and longevity of the parts on the vehicle.
Hey TGO, wanted to check this with you. You said you had got 3 shock absorbers changed under warranty. Can you specify if these were changed under basic first 2 years warranty or under extended warranty.

I have a Renault Duster AWD (August 2016 Model), and the extended warranty booklet clearly excludes Shock Absorbers.

I was wondering if earlier Renault used to cover Shock Absorbers in Extended Warranty and it is later that they have stopped doing so. It would be really helpful if you could also share pics of the Extended Warranty Booklet with the exclusions mentioned there.

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2019 at 06:46. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 14th April 2019, 10:37   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I visited NCR Motors, Delhi to get one of my Shock Absorbers (Rear Right) changed as I thought it was leaking (Visible Oil leakage on the Shock Absorber). Also, since my Duster AWD (August 2016 model) is now under extended warranty (shock absorbers are not covered under extended warranty), I was planning to buy the new one (approx. Rs. 8000).
With all due regard to Renault. I find this quite surprising. How can a leaking shock be okay. Measuring the amount of spillover oil is not a scientific way of declaring whether a shock is faulty or not. I think it is a way of side stepping warranty issues. Once the oil leaks it means some oil seal in the shock has given way. It all comes down to bad engineering.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd April 2019 at 06:35. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 10:48   #971
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't remember when I've heard such garbage like assessment of shockers by studying the oil stains! Any leakages means suspect seals and needs looking into.

While I truly admire the Duster, it's stories like this that stopped me from buying it more than once. One of my Gurgaon cousins curses the high maintenance costs of his Terrano. How can a robust vehicle like this suffer from such part failures and shoddy engineering?

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th April 2019 at 10:49.
Old 23rd April 2019, 00:23   #972
BHPian

Re: Shock Absorbers - When should be replaced - Renault Internal Memo

Quote:

To my surprise, the Service Manager at NCR Motors informed me that what I see as a leaking Shock Absorber needing replacement, is actually regular seepage not requiring any replacement or repair.
I have the same issue. Oil leak from rear shocks. I was ready to change it if it was a real issue ( 15k for both shocks including labour). However the SA brushed aside my concerns and said that it need to be changed only if there is sound coming from the suspension. Since there was no sound and I did not face any other sort of issues, I did not proceed with the replacement. I got 10k more kms to complete my warranty period and is planning to replace the shocks after that with something from Bosch or other known brands which comes for less than half the price.

Other than this, my car runs perfectly and I just love it. Did a 3 day 1000 plus km trip couple of days ago and it was bliss. Almost 500 kms non stop and still I was comfortable.

Last edited by nettooran : 23rd April 2019 at 00:24.
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 02:10   #973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

All I could make out from that quick glance of the Memo and the pictures therein, was that if the visible oil part covers less than 1/3rd the length of the shock, it is normal as per Renault and does not require any replacement and if the visible oil part covers more than half the length of the shock absorber, it requires replacement.
My Bhpian friend Delix was told the same at BudgeBudge service centre in Kolkata for his Duster AWD. They also showed him the same instruction manual from Renault and asked him, not to share the pic outside.

For 1/3 length oil leak they call it seepage, which do not require replacement.
For half the length they call it leakage, which require replacement.

Renault will change the shock-absorbers free of cost till the 30,000 km mark. After that one has to pay for it.

Now to my surprise, i took my Etios for it's 90,000 km service at Toyota and told them, i have observed a minor leak in the front right shock-absorber.
A mechanic checked it and told me, there is no sound plus it's seepage and for seepage, i do not have to change it. Once it leak, they will change it. They gave me a similar explanation on the length of the leaked/seeped oil as the Renault guys gave.

These guys made me so confused between seepage and leakage, i finally did a Google search to check whether am missing out on something or not!

Wiki says-
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4574752
As nouns the difference between leakage and seepage is that leakage is an act of leaking, or something that leaks while seepage is the process by which a liquid leaks through a porous substance; the process of seeping.
Now i am even more confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
It really pisses me off how Renault is taking us all for a ride by saying poor fuel quality is responsible for this when millions of other injectors in competitor vehicles are running for thousands of kilometres.
And the high priced so called new and advanced fuel filter is also a hoax it seems as it has not prevented any incidence of injector failure.

This clearly is a design failure, no matter how much Renault tries to blame poor fuel. And it seems that in the face of declining sales, Renault is bent on making some money this way from the injectors only.
+1.

Car's made by other manufacturer's run for lac's of Km without any injector issues.

During idling, i sometimes find the RPM needle fluctuates in my Duster AWD. Mine is just 8 months and 8,500 km old. I sometimes suspect, whether any injector is on its verge of giving up or not!

Two of my friends in Kolkata had to change the injectors of their Duster AWD in less than 15,000km (Changed under warranty). Both of them had faced similar symptoms like fluctuating Rpm while idling. When the OBD scanner was connected, one injector showed less value.
Last time in my car the values of all the four injector's were perfect. Let's see what's in store for my 10,000 km service!

The other problem i have is a faulty fuel sensor. With full tank fuel, sometimes the meter shows low fuel! It gets rectified by it own after sometime! After refuelling in most of the cases, the fuel bars do not go up. They will go up after 70-80 km of driving! I always keep the ignition off while refuelling, still i face this.

It's hard to tame a Renault, when you get used to with a Toyota!

But still, i love the Duster.
The positive's just overshadow these niggles!

Last edited by Samba : 23rd April 2019 at 02:31.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:02   #974
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: 5th Year Extended Warranty - 100000 KMs

Quote:
Hey TGO, wanted to check this with you. You said you had got 3 shock absorbers changed under warranty. Can you specify if these were changed under basic first 2 years warranty or under extended
One was in warranty. Two were under Goodwill (which I doubt were changed at all). Now we know the basis for the seepage and leak at least. Info in the internal memo seems logical if you ask me.
Tgo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 01:21   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

The other problem i have is a faulty fuel sensor. With full tank fuel, sometimes the meter shows low fuel! It gets rectified by it own after sometime! After refuelling in most of the cases, the fuel bars do not go up. They will go up after 70-80 km of driving! I always keep the ignition off while refuelling, still i face this.
Spot ON! I have the exact issue. Do let me know if you come upon any solutions
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed