Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2015, 11:34   #211
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Took a TD of the new scorpio today. One problem I encountered is that I couldn't see the center touchscreen panel AT ALL in sunlight. It's too vertical, perhaps they should have had it at a slant or put some non-reflective material on it. Could see it fine in the shade. But even then, operating that while driving could turn out to be a major pain.

A question I have is why is the engine warranty for only 75,000 Kms or 2 years? As opposed to the toyotas which have probably upwards of 100,000 kms or 3 years. Is this any indicator of engine reliability?
Old 25th January 2015, 14:43   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Took a TD of the new scorpio today. One problem I encountered is that I couldn't see the center touchscreen panel AT ALL in sunlight. It's too vertical, perhaps they should have had it at a slant or put some non-reflective material on it. Could see it fine in the shade. But even then, operating that while driving could turn out to be a major pain.

A question I have is why is the engine warranty for only 75,000 Kms or 2 years? As opposed to the toyotas which have probably upwards of 100,000 kms or 3 years. Is this any indicator of engine reliability?
The HU is a bit of a problem with direct glare. I don't have to look at the HU for most practical purposes while driving and this is my experience. Only pain may perhaps be from the NAV to look and drive. That also gives you voice over. But certainly an angle of anti glare screen could have been been a welcome.

Th engine is bullet proof and know old MHawks done over 2 lack with not a fastener opened beyond the timing case and clutch bell.

In fact this version is a de-tuned 120 BHP running low rations. Given that the engine is expected to last longer. If it perhaps had further reduction in the higher gears like the XUV the engine would do better. But heavy reduction in a rear wheel driven car will result in a lot of vibration like the 6th gear on the Contessa at low RPM.

Some quick good to haves-
  1. Disk brake in the rear
  2. Point for grease in the propeller shaft Unions stars (perhaps the sealed joint have good grease and may last longer -don't know)
  3. XUV tune (140 BHP) and Gearbox
  4. Wheel base extension could have been between the wheels there by additional leg space and better suspension dynamics. Currently it is extended in the front.
  5. Engine could be dropped further down and improve stability by lowering the CG
  6. Plastic pinning in the mud flaps, bumper are all flimsy

Storage and all the other small things that make a big difference have been discussed in the past
Miyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:10   #213
Senior - BHPian

Has the new Scorpio been crash tested by any car assessment programs ? I believe the older Scorpio got a very poor rating in the ANCAP program.

Also , Mods, it would be very helpful if you can post a separate review for the 4x4 variant as you did for the Storme.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:06   #214
BHPian

I believe the new Mahindra Scorpio is yet to go under hammers of NCAP. The Mahindra Scorpio isn’t sold in Europe and hasn’t been tested by Euro NCAP either.

Though Mahindra had claimed that the new chassis would enable to incorporate the “new safety” regulations to be implemented by Govt of India, I guess it would not be to the effect of NCAP’s requirements.

However, Mahindra does offer dual front airbags on the Scorpio (S6, S6+, S8 and S10 and now even with S4+) variants while ABS is standard on the S6+ variant and upwards. The car gets panic brake indication (if you brake hard over 100 km/hr than the hazard lights will turn on).

It would have been nice if Mahindra had given the Scorpio side airbags, at least as an option!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 10:15   #215
BHPian

Any info on the Automatic? Are they coming out with a slush box or an AMT?
Old 17th February 2015, 12:19   #216
BHPian

Inquired from a local dealer, s4+ 4wd is definitely available. The dealer however confirmed that you cannot install a 2 DIN HU, only single DIN HU can be attached on this model.

The dealer was however not able to answer my other query on whether it is possible to fit LED eyebrow headlights on S4+ model. I just wanted to know a) if its feasible and b) what is the cost of replacing the entire headlight unit with that of S10.

Powerdrift video on scorpio talks about some piece of hardware moving from left to right (vice-versa) when taking a turn. Check this video at 5.33. Does anyone know what exactly it is?
Old 17th February 2015, 12:49   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Check this video at 5.33. Does anyone know what exactly it is?
I did hear that sound, but I am sorry, it is not there either in my VLX 2WD or my S10 4WD.

But I think I have heard this sound in few Scorpios.
Old 17th February 2015, 15:40   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

But I think I have heard this sound in few Scorpios.
Oh yea, that's the lug wrench kept loose below the middle seating. Its long and loose, keeps moving left to right. A simple well-crow tricking could have held it tight!
Old 20th February 2015, 23:29   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Took a TD of the new scorpio today. One problem I encountered is that I couldn't see the center touchscreen panel AT ALL in sunlight.
Yes sunlight visibility of unit is not good but would you really need to operate in bright sunlight.

I am finding the placement of touchscreen nice . Easy to use using elbow as a pivot on the arm rest .

Not sure if people have noticed . The player volume is speed sensitive, the volume increases with increase in speed.
ManuMacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 09:11   #220
BHPian

Caution Scorpio Owners-

There is a loss of Brake and Clutch pedal if the car experiences G forces. For instance if the car rolls over a speed bump/ramp (with the typical take off and land approach), when the car lands the fluids are still in flight and there is a loss of pedal. I recollect this problem with the initial TATA SUMO's and loss of control leading the car to turn turtle during fast curves.

A free rolling ball bearing contraption was used in the master cylinder to bear down on the fluid and fix the problem.

M&M, are you hearing the problem. Please fix this immediately.
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 19:13   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Any info on the Automatic? Are they coming out with a slush box or an AMT?
Any further information on the automatic? I'm holding back on the current one to get the automatic instead? Anyone got any inside information?
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:19   #222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Inquired from a local dealer, s4+ 4wd is definitely available. The dealer however confirmed that you cannot install a 2 DIN HU, only single DIN HU can be attached on this model.

The dealer was however not able to answer my other query on whether it is possible to fit LED eyebrow headlights on S4+ model. I just wanted to know a) if its feasible and b) what is the cost of replacing the entire headlight unit with that of S10.
I guess I will be able to answer both your questions, since I have got both of them done on my blue streak.

Concerning the first one, I got that done right after my car was delivered. Don't even let the dealer touch it. One thing I can say right now, its a royal pain. I have written about the installation done by one of the most genuine installers I have been to here in Mumbai. But the fact that it needs the utmost care cannot be magnified enough. (Installation time: 8.5 hours)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ur-mumbai.html

Regarding the LED strip on the headlights, if you notice; the place where S10 has the tube, the variant has swapped it for a metallic strip. It also needs to be done by someone who has experience is installing the LEDs into headlights. The biggest challenge that I saw was to open the seal of the headlights and then eventually resealing it. A mistake in either of them will mean you will have a leaking HL unit. (Installation time: 3.5 hours)
methecupid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 01:28   #223
BHPian

I dont know whether It has already been discussed in this thread or not, but saw two Scorpio NG's without the black strip on the back doors near DND flyway having temporary registration numbers. One was a white scorpio and other was black, both without that infamous cladding. A quick chat with mahindra showroom contact confirmed that they will be getting the new ones shortly within 7-8 days.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 3rd March 2015 at 01:32.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 10:33   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I dont know whether It has already been discussed in this thread or not, but saw two Scorpio NG's without the black strip on the back doors near DND flyway having temporary registration numbers. One was a white scorpio and other was black, both without that infamous cladding. A quick chat with mahindra showroom contact confirmed that they will be getting the new ones shortly within 7-8 days.
About time they got rid of the patch. Somehow now it makes even better sense never to buy a M&M immediately after it is launched. One should always wait. and let them experiment on the first few batches before they get the market feedback and change.

Few more things they should be looking at changing / providing:

1. Remove the pseudo handle on to of the tail lights and either bring back the reflector cluster or have it something like an XUV500 has.
2. Remove the roof antenna and bring in a glass embedded one. This would be a relief for people living in high rainfall areas as the antenna hole invariably leaks after some time.
3. Provide indicators on the ORVM's
4. Provide a decent storage space for the tools including the jack handles etc.

Last edited by m_upreti : 3rd March 2015 at 10:41.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 11:32   #225
BHPian

The reverse camera for S10 is available at Mahindra Accessory. I have it installed at IG, St Marks Rd, Bangalore. ICE needs a firmware update and I am waiting to see it in operation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks