Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 15:06   #301
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra drops the black tailgate applique from the Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by harneets04 View Post
BUT IT IS OFFICIAL NOW. ALL COLORS except RED have body colored appliques. Check out the image attached.
Attachment 1364463
The black tailgate applique has been made body coloured. Earlier, the number plate applique was silver, which gave a contrasting look to the rear. Now, it has been changed from silver to black; again to add some contrast to the tailgate. This change has been made across all variants, with all the body colours available.

Do refer the e-brochure.

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-scorpio.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-scorpio2.jpg

Link to news article
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 15:11   #302
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Also noticed that the tail light cluster's, upper dummy portion, which was a matt black, raised "handle-like-but-without-handlegrip" plastic dummy, has now been replaced by a flat, glossy, black plastic dummy.

Could not take the picture as the Scorpio overtook me while i was driving my car.

But definitely the back end looks "smoother" now, if you know what i mean.
arjab is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 15:24   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

So even those "grab handle-things" have been changed? I couldn't figure out much from the website though. It would have been great had you managed to get a picture cause I can clearly see that they are still there but can't make out whether they are smoother or not, as the picture doesn't reveal much.
Old 27th April 2015, 16:24   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
So even those "grab handle-things" have been changed? I couldn't figure out much from the website though. It would have been great had you managed to get a picture cause I can clearly see that they are still there but can't make out whether they are smoother or not, as the picture doesn't reveal much.

Nope. The 'grab handle-things' are very much there. I think the blue tinge on the tail-lamp has been omitted too. Or is it just the 3D rendering that is playing tricks?

PS: The red Scorpio still having the black applique might be as simple as an error while updating the website.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 17:34   #305

Re: Mahindra drops the black tailgate applique from the Scorpio

Quote:
This change has been made across all variants, with all the body colours available.
Thank you for the acknowledgement Saumil bro. It was the website glitch that showed me Red color still has black cladding but apparently it is also changed. Sorry for the inconvenience caused from my behalf.

Quote:
The black tailgate applique has been made body coloured. Earlier, the number plate applique was silver, which gave a contrasting look to the rear. Now, it has been changed from silver to black; again to add some contrast to the tailgate.
As per my liking, i liked the black cladding with silver number plate applique better rather than the new combination because now it just looks like a very huge and cheap piece of plastic and it doesn't breaks the monotony of the rear door now. I'm not saying the black one was the best option but it was definitely better than the new one.
harneets04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 17:40   #306
BHPian

This is why i love Mahindra . Looking at how quickly they de-uglyfied the Scorpio's tailgate and all the changes they have made in the XUV so far (including the upcoming facelift), I can say that there isn't any other car maker in India (foreign or domestic) that listens to customers they way they do. Other companies can learn a lot from from Mahindra, a company that not so long ago was making tractors.
lordrayden is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 22:32   #307
BHPian

Though it is a bit off-topic but since it is related to the Mahindra design, I would like to share with you all my experience with the visit at their brand new, recently inaugurated and awesomely fantastic design studio in Mumbai.

(Please excuse my typos as I write this in a state of euphoria! )

Well guys! I got a chance to visit their design studio at kandivali yesterday after winning a 'Design an SUV for Mahindra' contest held in 2014. I consider myself lucky as only 2 persons were chosen for the visit since no one other than the designers and special invitees are ever allowed to get in there.

It's a classically built studio with a very European styling and meticulously designed. I was really gobsmacked looking at the HUGE studio with everything that a design enthusiast or employee could ask for. 10/10 for that!

What I experienced there was simply mind-blowing! They have a team of 20 designers who are highly enthusiastic! Their entire team is pro-active. I saw the Scorpio without the rear black-portion there which has made its way into the update.

Through this I want to say is Mahindra is BOLD in their designs. Their design head Mr.Anand Gawade told me that the core customers of mahindra want something that stands out amongst the competition. The conservative customer is a minority but they are happy with the sales of XUV and Scorpio as people got what they demanded! He said that such bold designs cannot be applied on a brand which only deals with sophisticated customers but they are rather for customers who want to make a statement!

I loved the visit as every one in their team was so eager to tell me the design process and how even something as simple as the 'S10' variant badge took 100-150 iterations to make it look perfect and also the placement of the 'Mahindra' name badge.

To conclude, though their designs may seem quirky and in your face, I can say that they work day in and day out to improve their products taking minutest of feedbacks from the customers. I love those guys! Very friendly!
My 5 hours visit there went in a jiffy! Einstein's theory of relativity! They gave me tips on design and guidance to pursue it as a full-time career later on.

I also saw there a last gen Scorpio with a tail-gate mounted well-integrated spare wheel. But that proposal was scrapped. Full size clay models on turn tables! And yes, also the HUGE foreign market oriented tractors were present there under the wraps and so were some of their 'concept' cars. Rest of the info I am not allowed to reveal.

Finally, I got a coffee table book and 'How to design cars like a pro' book and a set of Stabio pencils as a gift from Ramkripa Ananthan ma'am (head of entire team of Mahindra Design). I really felt blessed and that was one of the most unforgettable days in my life. 'You are very lucky', as a certain someone said to me sums it up!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st May 2015 at 12:53. Reason: Typo
RavSam is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 23:11   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Though it is a bit off-topic but since it is related to the Mahindra design, I would like to share with you all my experience with the visit at their brand new, recently inaugurated and awesomely fantastic design studio in Mumbai.
You indeed are lucky. Its every motorhead's dream to witness such an experience once in a lifetime. Soak it up buddy

Last edited by Eddy : 30th April 2015 at 23:19. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 23:19   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Also noticed that the tail light cluster's, upper dummy portion, which was a matt black, raised "handle-like-but-without-handlegrip" plastic dummy, has now been replaced by a flat, glossy, black plastic dummy.

Could not take the picture as the Scorpio overtook me while i was driving my car.

Thank you arjab for bringing another yet small change in notice. You missed taking the picture but here is one. I hope that helps.

Quote:
I couldn't figure out much from the website though. It would have been great had you managed to get a picture cause I can clearly see that they are still there but can't make out whether they are smoother or not, as the picture doesn't reveal much.
I managed to get the glimpse of it. I thought of sharing it. I hope the tweaking with brightness makes it visible enough.
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-scorpio1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Nope. The 'grab handle-things' are very much there.
No man. They removed it. See the above image.

Quote:
The red Scorpio still having the black applique might be as simple as an error while updating the website.
Yes i got that red colored scropio among others while 360° rotation as it was the only way to check all colors and even in that, when the car is viewed from behind, it shows black cladding but when turned on rest angles, it shows body colored only. I just missed it.
harneets04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:53   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harneets04 View Post
No man. They removed it. See the above image.
Oh yes. I stand corrected. Also, that blue tinge is still there in the tail-lamps. Guess I need an eye check-up and Mahindra needs some better 3D renderers

I'll go out on a limb and say that I actually liked the 'grab-handle thingy'. Looked nice. With it flattened out, the top half of the rear is as flat as an ironing board.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 18:50   #311

Quote:
Oh yes. I stand corrected. Also, that blue tinge is still there in the tail-lamps. Guess I need an eye check-up and Mahindra needs some better 3D renderers
Nah man. Anyone can miss that. But i guess Mahindra does need to pay attention to some of the glitches.

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and say that I actually liked the 'grab-handle thingy'. Looked nice. With it flattened out, the top half of the rear is as flat as an ironing board.
I agree with you buddy. But well we can't blame Mahindra as they only did according to the feedback they received. Earlier we liked, but others didn't. Now they like, but we don't. And it would go on and on...
Old 29th April 2015, 18:12   #312
BHPian

Saw a 'Special Edition' Scorpio at Ananth Cars, Bangalore...IMHO , doesnt look good , the chrome on the front was too much to digest. ( Sorry for the bad quality pic, took from my mobile)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-scorpio1.jpg  

Last edited by mazda4life : 29th April 2015 at 18:15.
Old 29th April 2015, 18:39   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mazda4life : Saw a 'Special Edition' Scorpio at Ananth Cars, Bangalore...
If that is a M&M executed edition, then - Some one still has not got over their fetish to copy from BMW !!!
Old 29th April 2015, 23:59   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Saw a 'Special Edition' Scorpio at Ananth Cars, Bangalore...IMHO , doesnt look good , the chrome on the front was too much to digest. ( Sorry for the bad quality pic, took from my mobile)
Is this is authentic special edition from Mahindra or is it a dealer specific limited edition?

I did not hear about this in newspapers or forums. Secondly, Scorpio is selling pretty well and i dont think Mahidnra needs to do limited edtions to push sales. Also, since this is a new model, there is no reason to test market response on new features from customer
Old 30th April 2015, 00:21   #315
BHPian

That certainly looks like a vehicle decked up with all the accessories available for a Scorpio by the dealer!

Btw saw the Scorpio with the changes today. Blue coloured car. The rear cladding colour has changed as mentioned above. The blue highlight of the taillamp has been removed and now its a clear glass. The grab handle dummy is still there but it has a gloss black panel on the side now. Couldn't click pics as i was riding. But noticed these changes properly.

Most Viewed