Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2016, 09:21   #526
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

The good news is, since I picked this up on a 3 year company lease, I'll be easily able to switch to something else in less than 2.5 years.
Are you sure double din HU cannot be added on S4+? My dealer said it can be done and T-BHP member dhruv45in already seems to have done it.

Which Pirelli tyres are you using?
Old 26th February 2016, 11:11   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Are you sure double din HU cannot be added on S4+? My dealer said it can be done and T-BHP member dhruv45in already seems to have done it.

Which Pirelli tyres are you using?
1) Well, it can - But you need to CUT the Panel to make space. Since, the Panel is not designed to take in a Double Din, the fitment will hardly be as neat as a Single Din unit. A bit of a Jugaad perhaps!
2) Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Lovely tyres. Highly recommended.
Old 29th February 2016, 19:27   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
I have S10 AT and previous VLX AT (4x4). Both are hoot to drive and extremely smooth. You will need to learn few techniques to get very good fuel efficiency like how to get lock on TC and when not to push the accelerator and lug a bit. I was able to drive from Tandi to Delhi (including Rohtang Pass) in single tank; which I think is excellent for any AT SUV.

P.S. I did Delhi - Leh - Delhi in my S10 AT. Travelogue is in process.

Camshot from the same journey:
Attachment 1423604
Wow ,now that is confidence inspiring regarding the AT.

Its great to know that you have owned two generations of the Scorpio Automatics.

We have a new member in the family and the need for a big car is evident now then ever before.

It will be mostly driven by my Dad who is 63 years young and i want him to drive nothing other than an Auto and Scorpio S10 4x2 fits our budget as well.

So I would like to know how are the maintenance costs of the AT and also have you sold your previous AT,if yes did you get good resale?

Thanks and Regards
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 08:03   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Wow ,now that is confidence inspiring regarding the AT.

Its great to know that you have owned two generations of the Scorpio Automatics.

We have a new member in the family and the need for a big car is evident now then ever before.

It will be mostly driven by my Dad who is 63 years young and i want him to drive nothing other than an Auto and Scorpio S10 4x2 fits our budget as well.

So I would like to know how are the maintenance costs of the AT and also have you sold your previous AT,if yes did you get good resale?

Thanks and Regards
Hi there,
Regarding the maintenance cost : AT is cheaper to maintain as the gear box is sealed for life and does not require an oil change. It only requires ATF to be changed at every 60 K.
Mine got that replaced recently and the cost was around 20k, which is reasonable.
Also to point out that during these 60K, it drove like it was just out of showroom; unlike manual wherein one tends to get frustrated by change in the clutch feel and bite during course of time.

The previous workhorse is still in action and I think resale of AT fine (atleast in Delhi) as I was in market for an AT sometime back.

I would highly recommend to buy Scorpio AT as its Value for Money quotient is unbeatable.
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 12:57   #530
BHPian

Mahindra has started delivering Scorpio and XUV with 1.99 CC engine in NCR due to the NGT ban. Surprised to see it is not promoted much. They claim no change in output of performance compared to 2.2 mhawk.

Any one has any first hand information on output?
Old 4th March 2016, 16:52   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio special edition coming up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Now, a Rushlane reader has managed to click what seems to be a special edition of the Scorpio. The SUV is partially camouflaged, but it sports a two tone exterior body colour with side decals. The outside door handles and the body cladding wear the same colour. It even seems to sport new 5-spoke alloy wheels and the front brake calipers are painted red. The roof rails too appear silver in colour instead of the black ones found on the regular Scorpio. No more details can be derived from the current set of spy pictures.
I doubt M&M is behind this.

Check out the edges of the cladding, underside of the roof rails. The Scorpio did come with dual paint scheme as recently as the last version. I don't think they would have forgotten how to do it properly, considering the body shape is largely the same. Further doubts - haphazardly put on cover with brown tapes, 'blue' headlights, whitish license plate lights. I think this must be a customer who got his modified. The bodyshop might be taking it to the owner and may have slapped these plastics on to 'cover/protect' the vehicle during transit. Kind of like what most cars have when coming to the dealer from manufacturer.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 16:30   #532
BHPian

Does anyone have the torque/power curves for the new Scorpio mHawk?
Old 16th March 2016, 14:57   #533

Hi, I have a new generation S6+ Scorpio and changed the ICE. The issue is that I lost the "Voice Messaging System" feature after installing the new ICE. The ASC fellows are claiming that it is part of the stock ICE, however i find some logical problem to accept it as it has to be integrated with the engine ECU. Any pointers on how to get this done in the new scorpio?
Old 24th March 2016, 00:41   #534
BHPian

Looks like M&M removed MicroHybrid feature recently from Scorpio variants other than S2. There website says so. Anybody know any specific reason for this?

Last edited by lal79 : 24th March 2016 at 00:44.
Old 24th March 2016, 09:39   #535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Looks like M&M removed MicroHybrid feature recently from Scorpio variants other than S2. There website says so. Anybody know any specific reason for this?
Two [different] reasons as per me

# They are developing an all new hybrid technology [as the older one stays in the DI engine] which would be implemented better, would make more sense and may provide some benefits in case the odd-even formula is taken up in other cities or some excise cuts or similar

# [unlikely] They realized it is not working and scrapped it.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 15:23   #536
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
I feel that Mahindra, as did most customers, realised that the Micro Hybrid added little value to the customer/product and hence discontinued it. Most people would just turn it off.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 16:37   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Two [different] reasons as per me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I feel that Mahindra, as did most customers....
Thank you Sheel, devdath. I am expecting delivery of my S10 4WD next week. I was curious to know if this omission is related to fixing some issues in Scorpio. As you both mentioned, may be they realized that this feature is not useful.

Last edited by lal79 : 24th March 2016 at 16:38. Reason: correxcting the ending [/quote]
Old 27th March 2016, 01:41   #538
BANNED

Hello Gents & Ladies,

I realize that this post may pertain to some specific thread in the "advise" section. Believe me. I spent some time looking for an appropriate thread there and couldn't find it. Hence I am writing here.

The thing is that I have a bad case of the woozies for the current Mahindra Scorpio and after a lot of heartache, decided to turn to this community of drivers.

Here are the facts:

1.) We have a Ritz at home that does admirably well. I really like the car and will not be selling it. Also the Mrs. just got her license and she will definitely be using it to putter around town on errands.

2.) Although the plan is for the wife to drive the Ritz almost exclusively, the situation hasn't yet come to pass. Her work-from-home arrangement and our toddler keep her at home most of the time. I am the one driving the car for the most part. So, at this present time, I don't really need a 2nd car. But, once the kid starts school and other activities, I imagine that her usage of the car will increase.

3.) Monthly mileage for the both of us is roughly 700 kms max. I know that this is way below the optimum range for a diesel car.

4.) Although I have bought ONLY the cars that I have liked, I have always bought them used. So, in some sense, I am the sensible one in the family. This is what makes this situation quite tough. I WANT that S10 quite badly.

5a.) The sensible side of me says that 16 lac price tag for the S10 is quite steep for us. We could probably afford the EMIs. But, it would definitely lock up cashflow from other uses during the month.

5b.) I am also worried about the future of a diesel considering the ban in Delhi. It may be a matter of time before similar legislation is rolled out nationwide.

6.) On the other hand, there is a voice in my head that won't shut up about the fact that this may be my last and only chance to buy something new that I really like. Once the kid's academics begin, I imagine that we will have no room for any discretionary expenses for the next 2 decades at least.

With these points in mind, I would greatly appreciate hearing from this group of erudite members. I am not necessarily looking for someone to push me over the edge to a buying decision. Actually, I would actively encourage the conservative voices to talk me off the ledge. The thing is that I just want to hear your thoughts - yay or nay or even just some additional points to ponder as food for thought. I am sure that plenty of us have found ourselves in this position, and I am curious as to how the situation played out in those cases.

As always, all of you have my deepest gratitude.

P. S.

Two other minor points...

7.) Both my parents and in-laws spend considerable time with us during the year. So, having a 7 seater may be a bit useful at times.

8.) We don't have parking for a 2nd car. If I buy one, I am going to have to rent one from someone in the building. So, that is an additional expense.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 00:43   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Hello Gents & Ladies,

I realize that this post may pertain to some specific thread in the "advise" section. Believe me. I spent some time looking for an appropriate thread there and couldn't find it. Hence I am writing here.

The thing is that I have a bad case of the woozies for the current Mahindra Scorpio and after a lot of heartache, decided to turn to this community of drivers.
Welcome to the confused club.
I have an Celerio AMT for the usage of the madam but she has never really used it in the last one year. The 14K+ on the Odo is all mine.
And I really was not sure if I should go for a big car though I really wanted one. Even the parents/in law situation is the same.
One difference is that I clock at least 2.5K a month. Long office drives and a couple of 700+ trips on average.

I still felt there is no need for a second car, so gave up my Innova a few months back and life was fine except when we wanted to travel as a family. Not having a large car is irritating those times. And I am a self drive person and tend to drive to any destination if its a reasonable distance. And all our long trips was mostly family trips (4 in mine + parents OR In laws).

Was quite keen on the Scorpio and wanted to get a 4WD but a lot of introspection lead to deciding that I never really do true off roading, so I would rather get something where the passengers (seniors and Infants) are more comfortable.
Ended up with the XUV 500 W6 a couple of weeks back after quite a bit of thinking due to a great deal through work which we didnt want to let slip even though the EMI will be a drain.

I still don't see the use for 2 cars unless the missus starts driving to work (which after a year I really don't see happening) but the sheer luxury of driving a tiny AMT in Bangalore crazy traffic is holding me back from selling it.

SO in your case
1. Small mileage
2. I assume no off roading
3. Family comfort
All tell me that the logical person in you should opt for a SUV LIKE car rather than the rugged Scorpio. Why not try the Duster and the likes or maybe the XUV.

But ultimately if the you feel just at home only in the Scorpio, just go for it. Just maybe decide that you will be off town at least 1 weekend every month to do justice to the Diesel and the EMI
srivibhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:07   #540
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Hello Gents & Ladies,

Here are the facts:

1.) We have a Ritz at home that does admirably well. I really like the car and will not be selling it. Also the Mrs. just got her license and she will definitely be using it to putter around town on errands.

2.) Although the plan is for the wife to drive the Ritz almost exclusively, the situation hasn't yet come to pass. Her work-from-home arrangement and our toddler keep her at home most of the time. I am the one driving the car for the most part. So, at this present time, I don't really need a 2nd car. But, once the kid starts school and other activities, I imagine that her usage of the car will increase.

3.) Monthly mileage for the both of us is roughly 700 kms max. I know that this is way below the optimum range for a diesel car.

4.) Although I have bought ONLY the cars that I have liked, I have always bought them used. So, in some sense, I am the sensible one in the family. This is what makes this situation quite tough.

I WANT that S10 quite badly.
First things first.

You are right when you say that this is prolly the last chance to buy what you lust for, before 100% practicality, responsibility, long term investments and the like take over.

However, even in your current situation you seem to be in a tight spot to be able to comfortably afford the S10 and your mention of the additional cost of parking makes it pretty evident.

What this means is, even if you end up buying it, every time you sacrifice the wish to go that special restaurant or watch that Hollywood flick at an IMAX with family/friends, you would not look at it with love but with a general feeling of "Faltu le liya kya maine??"

This along with the heartburns your family will have because of the lifestyle adjustments they will need to make, is not worth a vehicle. Had it been a house, my advice would have been different.

This is not a good feeling to have, more so when your usage is negligible further taking the utility of the S10 lower.

My suggestion is this. I do not know when your child's school starts but till it does, save money and scout around for pre-owned S10. In a city like Bombay, you will surely find them trickling into the pre owned market within a year, find a good one and get it so that you have the best of both worlds, the S10 you lust for, and an EMI you can afford.

Hope it helps.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks