Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Yes I read it on the HV forum on Facebook sometime back. And yet I do not think that there is any vehicle in India that can handle 2-3 lakh kms of "abuse", the keyword is abuse except may be the Qualis or the Innova.

I am not sure how much HVK abuses his Scorpio. In anycase I did not make a comment on the reliability of the thing. Mahindra had more than 12 years to improve it and yet what they come up with is this. Even more surprising considering the XUV500 is surprisingly good for a first effort.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:06   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Yes I read it on the HV forum on Facebook sometime back. And yet I do not think that there is any vehicle in India that can handle 2-3 lakh kms of "abuse", the keyword is abuse except may be the Qualis or the Innova.
OK. So that is always an option for someone who wishes to spend the money being asked for it by Toyota. Individual's choice I say.

Quote:
I am not sure how much HVK abuses his Scorpio.
Well then you need to see his trip reports/logs.

Quote:
In anycase I did not make a comment on the reliability of the thing. Mahindra had more than 12 years to improve it and yet what they come up with is this. Even more surprising considering the XUV500 is surprisingly good for a first effort.
Compared to what TML dished out in 7 years, I say this one is still better. And mind you, there were facelifts/feature add ons/suspension tweaks etc. along those 12 years.

We can debate about what is good or bad for others here, but E-O-D market votes decisively with its wallet. The next few months' numbers will clear the air.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
That is exactly what I also feel. my LED tower is WIP for last one year currently it is static all lighting up in one go, after trying to use varying current to light it up in steps failed (I do not want it to be linked it to the brake pressure as it would need a lot of effort and change of brake light switch which I don't want to temper with). I have come up with an idea now to use the a Chinese Diwali lights circuit which blink in alternate sequence, instead of removing some of the LED's I will black them out and use them in a top up and down sequence by taking the poser from the brake light. Given time this should be through in another month.
That's an interesting project. Do post the details. IIRC even GD had made a similar setup in his TB-2 - but linked to the parking lights. Sort of DRLs.

Just an idea, why not add a F1 style flasher for these tower lights? But don't go overboard with the number of leds. With the high mount stop lamp, current brake lights - it will light up your Scorp's rear like a *true* Christmas tree.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 3rd November 2014 at 13:13.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:20   #93
BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly what I also feel. my LED tower is WIP for last one year currently it is static all lighting up in one go, after trying to use varying current to light it up in steps failed (I do not want it to be linked it to the brake pressure as it would need a lot of effort and change of brake light switch which I don't want to temper with). I have come up with an idea now to use the a Chinese Diwali lights circuit which blink in alternate sequence, instead of removing some of the LED's I will black them out and use them in a top up and down sequence by taking the poser from the brake light. Given time this should be through in another month.
Wow,very interesting. I am sure it will give a killer look to your monster. Do keep us posted.
joe_antony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:19   #94
BHPian

I have always had a liking for Scorpio even though I could not afford one then( I always buy my cars and bikes on a single payment), and when I could the new Scorpio was a big disappointment. The guys at Mahindra have been losing it since every new or refreshed model, first the Xylo and then the Quanto and now the Scorpio. Hope this thread serves as a wakeup call and they don't botch-up the refreshed Bolero expected next year.
Old 3rd November 2014, 23:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

I feel that Scorpio should have been priced 50,000/- more but should have been given a chance to be a part of the purple club. When an XUV5OO, W4 gets entry, a more costlier S10 4X4 should have got entry into the purple club.

I need that Purple club just for the personalized RM and not for anything else. All others like activities / freebies / gifts etc are secondary to me personally as a buyer.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 3rd November 2014 at 23:07.
Old 5th November 2014, 09:57   #96

Excellent review.. 5* ...

I test drove S10 and really loved the drive. I could not try high speeds, thanks to bangalore traffic... but in the short drive I had, I loved the SUV. when i spoke to sales rep on my requirement which is mostly highway drives ( not in high speeds.. max 110 kmph) he recommended me to look at XUV. but I don't like XUV due to its poor under thigh support.

Even though i could not try high speeds, wanted to know from existing users if the handling of Scorpio is bad?

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th November 2014 at 10:19. Reason: See note in post.
Old 5th November 2014, 11:43   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
when i spoke to sales rep on my requirement which is mostly highway drives ( not in high speeds.. max 110 kmph) he recommended me to look at XUV. but I don't like XUV due to its poor under thigh support.

Even though i could not try high speeds, wanted to know from existing users if the handling of Scorpio is bad?
110 kmph itself is bit too much for a body on ladder vehicle like Scorpio. I don't think you will be able to corner or take on a curve with much confidence in that. I haven't heard the poor under thigh support complaint from any XUV owners (I may be ignorant), did you try seat height adjustments? Its true that it suits the highway cruising much better than Scorpio, as XUV is monocoque design.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:03   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
when i spoke to sales rep on my requirement which is mostly highway drives ( not in high speeds.. max 110 kmph) he recommended me to look at XUV.
For a change, a sales rep with the right recommendation. Yep, he's bang on. The XUV500 with its superior handling, dynamics & power-to-weight ratio will run rings around the Scorpio. The XUV500 will also handle an emergency manouveur at 110 kph in a far superior / safer manner than the Scorpio.

Quote:
but I don't like XUV due to its poor under thigh support.
Don't reject an entire vehicle based on this. While I personally didn't find any problem with the under-thigh support, you could get the seat beefed up in the after-market as per your preferences.

Quote:
wanted to know from existing users if the handling of Scorpio is bad?
All you need to know about the Scorpio's dynamics are in the opening page of this thread.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 14:41   #99
BHPian

"Mahindra has added an anti-roll bar at the rear and made tweaks to the multi-link coil spring suspension to improve the Scorpio's road manners. "

Any word if the Scorpio will be offering "ESP with roll-over mitigation ?
Old 5th November 2014, 14:58   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I test drove the new Scorpio and the XUV back to back. Scorpio was a S10 with 254kms on odo and XUV was a W6 with 81kms on odo. It was a small TD within the city.

Few points that I have from my own test drive for both the vehicles which I'll mention here.

* You actually need to climb into Scorpio which might be not so easy for my parents, XUV seemed easier.
* Once in the driving seat, I adjusted the seat for height. The Scorpio gave me a commanding view of the road with fully visible hood without the instrument cluster coming in my way, XUV was not the same. I am 5' 6".
* The engine noise is more or less same inside the cabin when compared to XUV, maybe because I test drove both new vehicles.
* The gearshift placement was easier for my reach in Scorpio than XUV. I was missing the XUV gear lever while gear changing. Later my brother asked me if I had adjusted the steering for reach which I had not!
* The Scorpio already had some rattle in it. The side step to climb into it seemed a little short for rear passengers and its plastic covering was already coming out.
* The steering of Scorpio shuddered when it went through a pothole. The XUV had no issues with the very same pothole at same speeds.
* Scorpio engine was feeling more refined than XUV, maybe because of lesser kms done by the XUV.
* I did like the Scorpio for a few things but then XUV makes more sense here if I look at the features for prices.

OTR Scorpio S10 is Rs 13,16,XXX/- and XUV5OO W8 Rs 15,24,XXX/- in Muzaffarpur, Bihar with no discounts on the Scorpio and just 20K discount in XUV! Insurance and registration I can do from outside and the showroom has no issues.

We already own a Wagon R and want an occasional 7 seater, 7 seater use limited to maybe 4-5 times over a distance of 10kms within the city and 80kms on 3-4 occasions in a year on highways. Mostly it'll be used for highways with 4-5 people. All this is very confusing and I might look at other options also. Will think over it and maybe if permitted by the Mods, will start a new thread.

But what I liked in both the vehicles was the way other people and vehicles, especially the auto wallas gave way to it.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 5th November 2014 at 15:05.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 15:51   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scorpio is a boxy design and at high speeds prone to react to the high air pressure thrown on the facia.

At 100+ you get a lot of steering & tyre feedback apart from the shuddering in the body and it is advisable to have double hand firm grip on the steering. All said and done once you understand the dynamics and are used to driving it you can take it all the way up to the legal driving speeds without any issues. I have taken it to the maximum what the engine allowed me without any issues.

This is with respect to the 2007 VLX I own, the new model may have some of the quirks taken care of but since the primary DNA is the same the underlying behaviour would not change much
Old 5th November 2014, 17:11   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Scorpio is a boxy design and at high speeds prone to react to the high air pressure thrown on the facia.
This is boxy too, yet rock solid at silly speeds:

The Scorpio's handling is down to its chassis, suspension tune, hardware etc. While the design might be a contributor, it's placed down on the reason's chart.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 18:37   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is boxy too, yet rock solid at silly speeds:

The Scorpio's handling is down to its chassis, suspension tune, hardware etc. While the design might be a contributor, it's placed down on the reason's chart.
I guess even M&M might get closer to this if you can pay 1+ Crore to them.
2500cc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 21:20   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I guess even M&M might get closer to this if you can pay 1+ Crore to them.
Well said. One can buy 10 Scorpios for the price of one of that boxt thing. Can we compare a 1.5 crore car to a 10 lakh car?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 21:36   #105
Team-BHP Support

But may I compare a SFX to a Scorpio or a Storme to the Scorpio? And the boxiness of the G-Wagen doesn't change just because it costs a lot.

As said, drive the Storme or the SFX.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed