Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 15:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Excellent Review! Good Car! except that it is bound to be abused on the roads by goons and political partymen with their flags hoisted on the front!
Old 30th October 2014, 15:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. I have always been a fan of the Scorpio, even after buying the XUV.

Compared to the XUV, the things which are better in the Scorpio are the hydraulic lifts for the bonnet and the lovely LED parking lights.

Plus the SUV looks amazing in this shade of blue.

On the flip side, as mentioned in the review, there are a lot of rough edges which is not acceptable in this era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The fit and finish is just appalling for the price and I just cannot forgive daylight entering via a closed door.
LOL, that is not daylight entering the cabin. That is puddle light which is placed on the bottom of each door.
Old 30th October 2014, 15:32   #18
BHPian

Amazing review, very detailed! Had taken a TD & some of the things mentioned didn't even come to my notice.

BTW, I think some of the picture were taken at Shivaji Park, the lane opposite Barista.
Old 30th October 2014, 15:33   #19
BHPian

The XUV electronics are a constant problem. They have followed on the same line with scorpio as well, which just would translate into more of these niggling problems as in XUV. Scorpio stands for reliability, More so in Rural areas, where these electronics malfunction.
Old 30th October 2014, 15:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
LOL, that is not daylight entering the cabin. That is puddle light which is placed on the bottom of each door.
Looked at it again. My bad. It was slightly ambiguous. Even then why is the puddle light 'on' when the door is closed.
Old 30th October 2014, 15:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Had my first look at the new Scorpio at the parking today. Everything except the rear look better the older models (Original Mhawk & Mighty Muscular).

The plastic (virtual grab handle ) used to cover the tower reflector area of the older Scorpio looks gross and protrudes like an overgrowth, if I buy the Scorpio I have a good mind to replace it with the reflectors set from the older gen Scorpio since there is no change in the body design.

The black plastic insertion on the rear door is also an overkill, the car would look much better with it removed and the resultant holes filled and the door repainted.

Disappointments (what M&M could have done better):

1. Integrated antenna. I am sure there is no change to the quality of fixed antenna on the roof, it would definitely leak after a couple of years (I manage with generous application of mSeal in my Scorpio)

2. OVRM's with turn indicators, even hatches have these now.

3. Better storage space for tools rather than hanging them on the back of the rear seats.

4. 5 seater option for those who prefer leg room & luggage space over seating 7 /8 people.

5. 140 BHP tuned engine

6. 6 Speed transmission If the gear box was to be changed what better was than an XUV gear box.

7. Factory fitted rear camera

8. Not going cheap with the steel wheeled spare on the top end models

9. leather / Art. leather seats

10. Rear / Roof mounted AC or at a least roof mounted blower for the last row.

11. Dead Pedal This is a must

12. Pull up rear door This was the time when they could have rid us of the side opening rear door and provided a contemporary rise up door supported by struts

Last edited by m_upreti : 30th October 2014 at 15:57.
m_upreti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 15:42   #22
BHPian

Excellent review. I was waiting for this launch as was looking to upgrade to the vehicle of this size. Now will definitely give it a miss and look at other options.

The fit and finish is definitely from a stone age era. Even a 3-4 lac cars have a better finish. Disappointed.
Old 30th October 2014, 15:49   #23
BHPian

Excellent review worth 5 STARS. The Scorpio and XUV were in my to buy list and boy am I relieved to have chosen the XUV AWD. Phew!
Old 30th October 2014, 15:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Love this new blue shade! Excellent in-depth review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
4. 5 seater option for those who prefer leg room & luggage space over seating 7 /8 people.
It is a 5 seater for all practical purposes. If MM remove the jump seats however, they will need to re-engineer a lot of stuff to pass the much stringent CMVR test for 5 seater vehicles.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:03   #25
BHPian

A good review, deserves appreciation.

Reviews are a good guide.
Though we read through reviews, it is extremely advisable for someone to take test drives back to back with vehicles in comparison and then decide which should be chosen.

Before that, its better to list out the features/ needs (qualities) that one is looking for and give them weightage and then give some marks , say in a scale of 1 to 10 and then arrive at the final figure for each vehicles.

I may call it a rate card and it can be used for decision making during a vehicle purchase process.
This can take away lot of confusions and help in arriving at right decision.

In my case now I have XUV, Aria and Scorpio in question. Need to apply this approach soon.
Tornado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:08   #26
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review. I guess, in blue shade this does look tolerable.
Tata was faulted for not taking the opportunity to change body style, and Mahindra has followed suit. Infact, I believe Mahindra has gone a step further.
Rather than focus on the foundation, they have focused more on the topping.

Ever since Mahindra Scorpio was launched, the biggest complaint was poor ride and handling. And that still remains.

As for quality, it seems to have gone down a few notches. The vehicle is build without any attention to detail. I mean, it costs 10p to put rubber covers on screws. How much cost cutting can they achieve.

The end result is a vehicle that seems to be put together in a haste.
I hope things like the slave cylinder etc., are not prone to failure now.

Regarding bushes, changing the material is curing the symptom. Since many decades many vehicles with Rubber bushes have been working fine. If your design is eating up bushes, I wish they had done R&D on the design itself rather than change the bush material.

With a new chassis, they could have taken the opportunity to liberate some space inside the cabin, but it seems its same old. Look at the front. You can't even keep bottles in your door pockets. And what sort of design is the seat adjustment which cannot be reached with door closed.

Coming to the dashboard, there seems to be no recessed places to keep stuff like sunglasses etc., Practicality has been thrown out of the window it seems.

Its a facelift no doubt, but looks like a half baked job. Maybe the hurry to be in time for the festive season was the cause. "Do it right the first time" seems like a phrase not in Mahindra's dictionary.
tsk1979 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:15   #27
BHPian

Amazing Review. Who needs a test drive now?
sharanvenu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:30   #28
BHPian

O Man! Such a detailed review! Took me 3 hrs to finish!

Scorpio to M&M was a game changer for sure. When I was working as a trainee there, I got to know small small things like: investing crores in Scorpio's development in Austria's design studio was much confronted decision, it was Anand Mahindra's vision and resilience to develop the same. If Scorpio had flopped, M&M would have sunk closing its operations or selling off its Kandivali plant to pay off huge debt
Scorpio turned M&M's fortune as at that point of time they badly needed a hit product which sells. Armada, voyager flopped, Bolero was not bringing home numbers as expected, JV with Ford was broken etc.

To get rid of the crude, vernacular image, Scorpio when launched was not advertised or written as Mahindra Scorpio. Instead they advertised it as Scoprio in big font followed by 'from Mahindra' as subscript in small font. It has been always advertised with foreign models in their commercials.
StepUP! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:32   #29
BHPian

Excellent review *rating it a well deserved 5 stars*. Mahindra has done a good job on the New Scorpio but there are issues with fit and finish. The S2 variant will sell with the tourist taxi market since it gets features like Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear AC which are necessary for a taxi. It is obvious that this car will be preferred by local MLAs/politicians who will put on their party flags and stickers on the car.
carfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:34   #30
D4D
BHPian

Who wants to buy the S6, S6+, S8 ans S10? The far better Mahindra XUV 500 is ages ahead of the Scorpio.

And mahindra really need to cut down weight from some place. We really are looking at merely 66 bhp per tonne which is not far from the Innova's 60 bhp per tonne.

IMO this is going to be a sales dud as:
I mean it's not going to create the same uproar it did way back in 2002
  • Mahindra XUV 500 is a far better product. And those who have the $$$ will rather buy it.
  • Renault Duster is a great product. For the guy who's happy with a 5 seater with decent space and now it comes in an AWD that's pretty capable for a little off roading. Cheaper running costs and lower maintenance costs too.
  • Those who like a roomy back seat will stick to the Safari/ buy an Innova(Budget permitting?)
  • No AT box.
  • Looks the same old thing. They could have redesigned a lot of side panels at least.
  • Exposed deforgger wiring? Are you kidding me?

BTW, are there AC vents for the third rows?

Only thing Mahindra has going for it is the image of the scorpio and the 4x4.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed