Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 01:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

It's good to see a nice dashboard along with a super MID in the new Scorpio, praying to God to atleast wake someone up at Safari Storme design studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The Smaller yet Significant Things:

After spending over a million rupees, you don't get a key with integrated lock/unlock buttons! Even Mahindra's 2-wheeler Centuro (Rs.47,000) comes with a more impressive looking key. Press the red (SOS) button on the key-fob and the alarm starts chirping:
After paying a million rupees for this beast, customers should be entitled to a better looking key fob. In my opinion VW has just nailed it and other manufactures should take a cue.
Old 31st October 2014, 05:32   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Looked at it again. My bad. It was slightly ambiguous. Even then why is the puddle light 'on' when the door is closed.
I havent checked out the vehicle, but would assume that they have connected the puddle lamps to possibly the cabin lights wiring, which means when the door is open, and cabin lights illuminate (depending on switch option selected), all puddle lamps come on as well.

Again, this is just what i think could be the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Excellent review, the car looks 10 per cent better in darker shades than in the lighter ones, but it still looks ugly(I have been a cult Scoprio fan, primarily for the way it looked, not any more!).
I agree. I am not at all happy with the new looks, and am glad i owned the Scorpio with the much more palatable looks.

That said, right from when i test drove the Scorpio for the first time (2.6 CRDe), it was always its engine that won me over!
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 07:36   #48
BHPian

I don't understand where do they get the designers for Mahindra. In this day and age any decent designer would do a ton better than this ugly piece of crap which they are shoving on the public . I guess Safari Storm can breath easy as both seem to be ugly and carry forward 80'ish design themes. I find it so hard to believe they have done this on an entirely new chassis . Unpardonable in this day and age.
The only reasonable aspect is that the interior seems a bit cleaner from a distance. Don't want to look it close though. Even the hexagonal theme of dash gauges is poorly executed. Why can't they get a consistent design anywhere? I can understand a few problems with fit and finish at this price point. But they have got the entire design direction wrong. A half-hearted effort by Hyundai would definitely look much better. Sorry guys. I wanted to love this effort by Mahindra, but they fell way short. Disappointed.

Last edited by pamiboy : 31st October 2014 at 07:37.
Old 31st October 2014, 08:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

S2, GTO, Rudra Sen and Stratos! That's an entire army there and it shows in the review. Stellar! Thanks for sharing with us. "thumbs up"

Mahindra has retained all the positives of Scorpio and improved upon it. But they really havent addressed the negatives of the earlier iterations. I checked out the UV in person and the space is very unimpressive for even the second row. The fit and finish is also leave a lot to be desired. And as per the review the ride and handling is still scary and edgy. Not done Mahindra! I feel Scorpio can easily get 5000 new homes each month with those sorted out. Maybe Mahindra is looking at up sell here with the XUV or making space for the smaller iterations of the double O.

I love the blue colour Mahindra has used for the MID and the infotainment system. The red in XUV is way too over the top and uneasy.

They will have employ smarter proofreaders for the GUI though.
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-mahindrascorpio20.jpg

What is this for? Says it shouldn't be opened for 40K KM.
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-mahindrascorpio04.jpg

Did we get to try the 4x4?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 09:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
The XUV electronics are a constant problem. They have followed on the same line with scorpio as well, which just would translate into more of these niggling problems as in XUV. Scorpio stands for reliability, More so in Rural areas, where these electronics malfunction.
I have been driving XUV for the past 1 year now and have done 24000 kms and there has not been a single niggle as yet, electrical or mechanical. Niggles were common in the initial batches. Post 2013,the version 2 as they call it has almost all the niggles sorted out. So assuming that the electronics remain the same in scorpio, i dont think they should be a cause of worry.
manasmadaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 09:48   #51
BHPian

The exterior photos in this review are much better than the OEMs beauty shots for ads, Excellent Review !
Old 31st October 2014, 10:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hi S2!!! / GTO,

Is there a 3rd row AC vent like the Xylo / XUV / Innova?

If no, which blowers serve the third row passenger? Is the centre AC Vent sufficient to reach the third row? Should we add the roof blower accessory to the third row. I was honestly expecting one, but i dont think we seem to have one.
Like some modern hatchbacks and C-segment sedans, you only get rear air-con vents, which serve middle and third row passengers. In the afternoon heat of Mumbai, with 3 on board, it did a good job to keep the cabin temperature low (with GTO in the third row). On the other hand, if you are looking to ferry 6+ passengers on a regular basis, it would be better to opt for a roof-mounted air-con which Mahindra offers as an accessory. Especially because the position of the rear air-con is on the lower side and with 3 on board in the middle row, we are not quite sure of the air-flow/ effectiveness of these vents for third row passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
They will have employ smarter proofreaders for the GUI though.
Great catch!

Quote:
What is this for? Says it shouldn't be opened for 40K KM.
If I remember correctly, this was for the brake fluid.

Quote:
Did we get to try the 4x4?
No, we did not get to test the 4x4.

Last edited by S2!!! : 31st October 2014 at 10:02.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 10:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

An excellent review! Instantly rated it a well deserved 5 stars!! This is by far the most comprehensive review of the new Scorpio. No other review has been so exhaustive & honest. Answered so many of my doubts just like that! Well, thats just carrying on with TBHP standards anyway...

Of course the Scorpio has always been a capable car with a VFM tag. The positives are carried on and have also been improved upon. Surely the new one will sell well. But then unfortunately, the highlights that i will remember the most about this car are -

1. Exposed bolts everywhere.
2. Gear-shifter with the same finish as found on toy cars sold at Rs.20/- in fares.
3. An excuse of a vanity mirror that will probably show 1 eyebrow at a time.
4. Exposed solders and connectors of the rear de-mister.
5. "Scuff plates" that look as if added by some fabricator that makes metal safety doors and weather shades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
It's good to see a nice dashboard along with a super MID in the new Scorpio, praying to God to atleast wake someone up at Safari Storme design studio.
From what I understood in the review, the "MID" only has ODO, gear indicator, fuel & temp gauges and dual trip meters. The only thing missing in the Storme is the gear indicator. Honestly, anybody who is driving such a large vehicle on Indian roads, should be capable of doing so without having this "feature". A gear suggester instead would be better to improve some FE.

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st October 2014 at 10:50.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I still don't understand what that "grab handle like" looking thing is for?Or did I miss the elaboration on that part in the review?
That is some smart designers way to give new look to the rear by removing the tower reflector of the old Scorpio and replacing it with this monosterity to cover the gaps left in the body
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:01   #55
BHPian

Nice review.

I have made a short comparison between the Safari Storme and the Scorpio. I will attach the link below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3568544
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:03   #56
BHPian

Nice detailed review. All the probable questions regarding the new Scorpio seems answered.

I was expecting too much from the Scorpio before the launch, I had made up in my mind that I would get SUV with all the qualities and finish of an XUV at a much cheaper price. BUt I guees it was too much to ask for. I wonder if a person walks in to a Mahindra showroom to buy the S8 or S10 2WD why wouldn't he choose the XUV W6 instead !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Mahindra introduced the Scorpio back in 2002 as the company's first 'modern' UV. Prior to the Scorpio, the product line was crude & basic, with vehicles like the Bolero, Armada, MM550 etc. There's no doubt that the Scorpio took the company inside a lot more urban homes. This was at a time when the SUV was priced between Rs. 5.5 - 6.35 lakhs (ex-showroom, Mumbai) for the 2.6L diesel, and Rs. 7.07 lakhs for the 2.1L Renault-sourced Rev116 petrol.
Almost 100% increase in price in just over a Decade, I am not alarmed though. All cars have witnessed the same rise in price levels I believe. I wish I had the means to go back in time and buy the previous generation Scorpio, it looked more muscular and appealing to me than the new Scorpio.
Old 31st October 2014, 13:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Scropio S10 4X2 some time back in Gurgaon. It was a friend's cousin's vehicle & must say that I wasn't half impressed with the vehicle barring the exteriors.

The doors, except the rear one are flimsy, gaps are huge, plastic hard & dirt magnet & the interior overall is cramped. The paint quality is also does not impress me & I feel it would fade earlier than competition.

The Safari overall is much better, as it has acres of space, plastic are softer type (at least better than this one) & doors much heavier. The Storme is even better than Safari.

But, it's a looker no doubt... better than Storme, & that's enough for most buyers IMO.

I didn't request for drive of the vehicle, hence, can't comment on the improved ride, but I feel (on basis sight of the vehicle on the move on bad roads) there is marginal improvement only .

I feel they could have done a lot better, like liberating more space form the longest wheelbase, better ride on the new chassis, better interiors & better fit+finish.
Old 31st October 2014, 13:23   #58
BHPian

Excellent review and deserves a 5 star.

But I have few concerns how the vehicles are compared. Not with this review but overall and would like to have a response from fellow tean-bhpians what they think. I read other website as well and I just want they comparison should be based on certain parameters
1. Comparison criteria - shouldn't it be the engine cc or bhp or both. Scorpio compared to Safari but bhp is 120 vs 140
2. Compared to duster where again the above criteria is not met
3. A Scorpio should be compared with Tata Grande (now Movus)
4. I have seen comparison between Safari / Storme with XUV whereas they are different. BoF v/s Monocoque (if I am right)
5. Aria comparison with XUV seems to meet the technical parameters
5. Comparing XUV / Aria with Innova again should not be done as they are different

Today I read comparison between i20 and Amaze & Ecosport

Just my thoughts.
Old 31st October 2014, 14:02   #59
BHPian

amazing review! although i am one who would not be buying a scorpio in the near future, i still read the entire review. that says a lot for the ability of the author to keep the audience engaged. well done!
Old 31st October 2014, 14:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Guys
Has anyone seen the S2/S4 interiors ? Are they different in terms of plastic colour and fitments ? For e.g the earlier Scorpio Lx interiors were very spartan without even an arm rest in the door pad. Wonder if this approach has changed ?

Most Viewed