Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 20:40   #766
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Here is the progress on the Clutch Failure and leakage from the GB.
Car was towed from the office parking to ASS -Sireesh Auto, Singasandra, Bangalore.
Operation-
The clutch bell was separated from the block knowing that it is the slave cylinder failure. I used to have a slight shudder ever since my second service and did not pay attention. Perhaps the problem has started and resulted eventually in failure.
Observation-
The Slave Cylinder had failed. The Clutch and Pressure plate has severe perspiration of clutch fluid. Uneven wear of the clutch plate and grove in the pressure plate was observed.
Assurance-
I am glad I had payed for extended warranty and got all the parts replaced FoC under EW. The bell and Flywheel were thoroughly cleaned with petrol and the new clutch assy and slave cylinder fitted.
Recall Part added-
Also a small bracket to the cooling line from the compressor next to the clutch fluid reservoir was added as part of the recall.
Small works pending
I have 2 more complaints for which spares are awaited-
  1. Hand brake cable bracket on rear dogleg is broken due to the stress of hoisting the car and the weight of the rear axle hanging on the brake line and this bracket.
  2. One right back door rubber Gromet- Small rubber conical part that sits on top of the door to reduce vibration.
Mysterious sound-
I don't hear the turbo howl now and perhaps was some tubes fouling at a particular RPM or the vacuum valves behind the dashboard. A test drive put my doubts to the cold store and so did the diagnostics for turbo problems. I will still investigate this during one of my long drives and record the sound if I hear it.
ASS great job-
Sireesh Auto- The ASS always surprises me with their quality and customer service.
After I made the first distress call to Shireesh Auto.Sanjay Joel (GM Service- Sireesh Auto Bangalore) immediately pressed people into action. Ajay (works manager, Singasandra) called back in minutes and dispatched a Getaway to tow the car. He continued to help with all the issues and resolved each of them. The mechanics Sreenivasan and Prasann Kumar did a good job of taking things out, cleaning them and putting it back.
30K service-
  1. I replaced the engine oil (Not recommended)
  2. I replaced diesel filter
  3. I replaced Cabin filter
  4. Topped GB oil that came out while pulling the drive shaft out and extracting the GB.

I am relieved this is over.
Learning:
My learning form this episode-
  1. Do not ignore even a small problem with Mahindra Vehicle.They are like humans.
  2. Carry the towing rod for Scorpio Always
  3. Make good friends with ASS and they are actually good guys who help.

Many thanks to Nagesh, MD,Sireesh Auto, Sanjay, GM Service, Ajay WM and the boys of course Srinivasan and Prasann
I have attached some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-fluidplus-clutch-dust-inside.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-img_6992.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-nc-before-fitting.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-slave-cylinder.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-new-clutch1.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-new-clutch.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-srinivasan-prasann.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-bracketrecall.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-lss1.jpg  

Last edited by Miyer : 12th April 2017 at 20:43.
Miyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:06   #767
BHPian

I thought the new gen Scorpio with the new 5MT320 gearbox (from Xylo) does not have the infamous slave cylinder failure. The shift action of the new 5MT320 gearbox is nice when compared to the previous gen gearbox. Had hoped this gearbox & slave cylinders to be trouble free.

Its sad to see the clutch slave cylinder continuing the fail even in the latest gen Scorpio that too as early as 30k kms. This definitely is of concern for people who travel late in the night with family.
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:23   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
I thought the new gen Scorpio with the new 5MT320 gearbox (from Xylo) does not have the infamous slave cylinder failure. The shift action of the new 5MT320 gearbox is nice when compared to the previous gen gearbox. Had hoped this gearbox & slave cylinders to be trouble free.

Its sad to see the clutch slave cylinder continuing the fail even in the latest gen Scorpio that too as early as 30k kms. This definitely is of concern for people who travel late in the night with family.
Agree its a leap of improvement. The quality of parts (Plastic SS/Servo) could be the cause for the failure. While the materials are tested for high operating temperature/pressure conditions, Cast parts are far more reliable in terms of their material properties. The Clip coupling to the slave cylinder is also scary. I think its a design problem of not having a lever and pivot that can reduce the effort on the slave cylinder to make the displacement. If the old yolk system and release bearing had the other end connected to a slave cylinder the system could have been more reliable. Well, trade off is- more weight, more parts, springs and frictional surfaces. End of the day its the designer and feedback of the user that the company makes design changes. As a fail over method (in this case), there should be a cable that you can hook up to the pedal and continue driving in the manual mode.

Again what is note worthy is my car is maintained in the showroom condition. Even after 30K KM/2.6 years, the under chassis and body are like new. Perhaps rough users don't have any trouble....

Br,
MIyer

Last edited by Miyer : 13th April 2017 at 10:25.
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:49   #769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
End of the day its the designer and feedback of the user that the company makes design changes. As a fail over method (in this case), there should be a cable that you can hook up to the pedal and continue driving in the manual mode.
M&M has seen enough cases of the CSCs failing over the past many years now and is well aware that it causes a lot of inconvenience to its customers. I was greatly hopeful that the issue was rectified in this version of the Scorpio but have seen numerous cases of premature failures of CSCs in them as well without any prior warning. This is not acceptable.

The idea of a backup manual clutch is indeed very intriguing and practical but will never see the light of day ("Saar, it will increase the cost of the vehicle by 1589.67 INR plus VAT, Excise, Swachch Bharat, Education Cess and all Saar. Let us give them brighter DRLs instead Saar.")
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 20:07   #770
BHPian

What I have heard is even a small design improvement by the design team for as little as Rs.500/ goes through a big approval system. End of the day M&M does not want to transfer the cost to the customer and be competitive.

One good story I hear was the Thar's ST canvas roof. The zipper used to come out in brand new Thars. Neither the company not suppliers were aware till about 500 tops reached the warranty returns. Then they went to the design team and spoke to the suppliers. Perhaps its fixed now.

I hope CSC is in the list. By the way there are some 200 odd parts for the Scorpio alone as a model that are fast moving and need to be stocked by all dealers. This is besides Oil/Filters and other regular consumables.

Its scary to know what are these 200+ parts that are fast moving. All said and done, M&M is "Swadeshi" made by us for us. A great brand, reasonably good products and loads of value for money. I believe most of us will agree to a very large extent.

Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 08:50   #771
Senior - BHPian

Hi! I have now been reached out by two separate dealerships, who have informed me that my S4+ 4WD is listed for a Recall Action. On enquiring from both, they have said that they will inspect a chassis member, for likely cracks and based on that they will initiate replacement of the entire Chassis!
Has anyone else been affected by this recall?
A full chassis replacement, as a recall action, sounds scary, when I contemplate that I may have been driving around with a cracked chassis all along!!!
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 10:26   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hi! I have now been reached out by two separate dealerships, who have informed me that my S4+ 4WD is listed for a Recall Action. On enquiring from both, they have said that they will inspect a chassis member, for likely cracks and based on that they will initiate replacement of the entire Chassis!
Has anyone else been affected by this recall?
A full chassis replacement, as a recall action, sounds scary, when I contemplate that I may have been driving around with a cracked chassis all along!!!
Oh! that sounds scary and a dangerous situation indeed. Doesn't the chassis replacement requires update to chassis number in RC and can affect the resale value of vehicle very badly?
Old 19th April 2017, 13:03   #773
BANNED

Quote:
On enquiring from both, they have said that they will inspect a chassis member, for likely cracks and based on that they will initiate replacement of the entire Chassis!
Also, why only the S4? The chassis is shared across all versions.
Old 19th April 2017, 13:48   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Oh! that sounds scary and a dangerous situation indeed. Doesn't the chassis replacement requires update to chassis number in RC and can affect the resale value of vehicle very badly?
Resale will not affect me, thankfully, given that my vehicle is under Company Lease, and I do not intend to retain the vehicle after the lease term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Also, why only the S4? The chassis is shared across all versions.
I can't comment on that. I was assuming that the chassis may differ between 2WD and 4WD configurations, and hence I mentioned my model in the post.
Old 19th April 2017, 16:41   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...A full chassis replacement, as a recall action, sounds scary, when I contemplate that I may have been driving around with a cracked chassis all along!!!
Really scary indeed and they should have informed about such a crucial defect much much earlier. Absolute callousness on the manufacturer's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
...Its scary to know what are these 200+ parts that are fast moving. All said and done, M&M is "Swadeshi" made by us for us. A great brand, reasonably good products and loads of value for money. I believe most of us will agree to a very large extent...
Indeed they manufacture products which are value for money and unique in some of the segments. But this is high time they pull their socks up to take care of the quality/ parts related issues with proper seriousness. What is the point of maintaining a competitive vehicle price when the customers are bound to suffer later on because of inferior quality parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
... I was greatly hopeful that the issue was rectified in this version of the Scorpio but have seen numerous cases of premature failures of CSCs in them as well without any prior warning. This is not acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
... Its sad to see the clutch slave cylinder continuing the fail even in the latest gen Scorpio that too as early as 30k kms. This definitely is of concern for people who travel late in the night with family.
Absolutely. This is quite surprising to see that M&M hasn't really tried to take care of this issue even after so much of so called improvements in the new generation Scorpio. This alone reduces the reliability quotient of the vehicle to a very good extent.
Old 19th April 2017, 23:23   #776
BHPian

This is a very serious issue, iam worried now as i have booked s4 plus 4wd and waiting for delivery 😐.
Old 20th April 2017, 16:48   #777
BHPian

Saw a part camouflaged current gen Scorpio on the Hosur Road, Bangalore driven at speed towards Chennai. Tried clicking pics but this is the best I could manage. Complete front right from the bumper till the windscreen was covered from all sides. Also covered were the D pillars, rear bumper and the mid part of the tailgate. It was a 4wd version with same prominent tow hook and 4wd markings. Looked like the base version as was running steel wheels. Any idea, what are the changes they are bringing in?

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-imag1615.jpg
Old 20th April 2017, 17:06   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Saw a part camouflaged current gen Scorpio on the Hosur Road, Bangalore driven at speed towards Chennai. Tried clicking pics but this is the best I could manage. Complete front right from the bumper till the windscreen was covered from all sides. Also covered were the D pillars, rear bumper and the mid part of the tailgate. It was a 4wd version with same prominent tow hook and 4wd markings. Looked like the base version as was running steel wheels. Any idea, what are the changes they are bringing in?

Attachment 1631343
Could be the refresh, the current scorpio is going to be 3yrs already
Old 20th April 2017, 19:53   #779
BHPian

Hello friends and co-Scorpio owners.

I have a Sep 2016 Scorpio S10 AT 2WD. I have MapMyIndia Navigator (factory fitted) with data version of 2014. Even after 2 requests to dealerships, I am getting a reply that there is no upgrade. I find it hard to believe that the data is not updated for 3 years! I checked with MapMyIndia. The response is even more confusing. They say that they have released a latest version. I have to pay Rs 500 online and I can download it. That is okay with me. However, when asked about the procedure of installing it and ensuring compatibility, I get a reply to the effect that they will tell me after I make a payment!

Has anybody done the update or got it done?
Should I risk the 500 bucks? Not a big amount - but will it create issues with Mahindra? The manual is totally silent on this issue.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 20th April 2017, 20:24   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
..Saw a part camouflaged current gen Scorpio on the Hosur Road, Bangalore driven at speed towards Chennai...
Could be a petrol variant? There was lot of buzz about launching a petrol variant of both Scorpio & XUV during the 2000cc+ diesel vehicle ban. But honestly in stead of launching new products every now and then M&M should focus on having a shorter but bit more reliable bunch of product portfolio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks