Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 02:41   #226
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
According to the parts catalogue, all that comes in the name of a toolkit is a jack handle and wheel wrench. Do let me know if you need their part numbers.
I found the part numbers: Wrench, Wheel 19
Part Number: 09816M00174
and Lever, Jack handle
Part Number: 09827M00004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
you can consider purchasing toolkit of some older generation Maruti. They had a couple of open end spanners, sparkplug socket, a screw driver and most importantly, a proper pouch too. Such tool kits cost around 150-200 rupees in MGP.
Will it not have the wheel wrench and jack handle too? Can you tell me the part number of this older generation Maruti toolkit? I did a little research on boodmo.com and zeroed in on one such for Wagon R with part no 09800M40026. Is this the kit you were talking about?

Sorry for the off topic discussion. Coming back to the Alto K10 main discussion, I would like to state that my car has completed 3 years last month. I drove about 15000 km is this period. The car is running smooth and although I drive within the city limits, I once drove to nearby town Burdwan this year when I could actually put the K10 engine's muscle to some good use. I was really in a hurry at that time to catch a wedding party and drove at top speed. However, as it has been said already, any swerving on the highway at high speeds was absolutely unnerving as the car is very lightweight.

Within the city, the Alto K10 is a fine car. Especially the small factor is a boon in the crowded Kolkata roads. One area where the car could really improve is the suspension. Even the slightest undulation on the road can be felt.

Much to my disappointment, the battery died and I had to change it in October. There was one creaking noise on the right front door which MASS fixed during the annual service after I pointed it out to them during a road test drive. Also the bonnet lock switch somehow malfunctioned and the bonnet wasn't shutting properly for last two months - this was also correctly diagnosed and fixed by MASS. A job called injector cleaning was also performed for ₹405.

What MASS couldn't fix was a steering noise which I have been facing and telling them about it since 2015 end. May be I will discuss the steering noise issue in another more appropriate thread. But this has made me think about going to a different MASS outlet or an FNG. Also, after the last annual service, when I went to receive the car, I was pleasantly surprised to see the bill to be a very low amount. Later, when I went home, I realized they have downgraded me from synthetic to mineral oil despite my specific instructions for synthetic!

Last edited by wishnipon : 11th December 2017 at 03:05.
wishnipon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:50   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Paid for a new White K10 AGS VXi (O) on 16th & should get the car with registration plate by Friday morning! The little pocket rocket will keep company to the Vista. Its obviously not for me but for the wife. Will be her daily office drive + shopping cart in city.

She (and me too) liked the AMT's ease of driving & was at home with the car in about 10 meters of TD already. What started off as a probing for our ever loved Nano Twist XTA, ended up at the AltoK10 instead. With the nano's cost now not too low & rumors about its discontinuation rife, I myself ended up suggesting the wife to go for a Maruti instead of my favourite Tata brand.

Tried to make ends meet with a Tiago but it was still going out of budget. While it is a superior car to anything upto its price, I just couldn't gather up enough money. Also - even with my 7+ year old Vista, I get high blood pressure when a biker gets too close! With a Maruti, I'd not care a dime about any scratches.

Wife found the small car better for her purpose of "use it anywhere" compared to the Tiago and Celerio etc. Decided to save the money & use it for petrol instead. For highway & long distance rides I anyway have my rock-solid Vista. AltoK10 will be a 2nd & city car for us.

Got it from Sai Service Pune.

December Discount = 30000.00
Corporate Discount = 3100.00
Free Maruti Accessories December Offer = 2500.00
Opted for in-house insurance via Maruti. 19700.00 for 0 Dep. Had checked elsewhere but all were either around the same number or over 20k.

OTR price = 471,000.00 for non-metallic white colour with MH12 registration. Boy have the cars got costly!!

Will share pictures when I get the car.
Not much to say about the car itself. When I drove it, it felt like driving an empty soap-case with milk bottle tops for wheels & a rocket for engine. 0 feeling of safety. But then, I knew what I'd get and was not surprised at all. Its an Alto K10. Its purpose is well defined & it is not to chase on the highway (while Maruti says it is to Chase!). Everyone knows what an Alto is, so won't write much about it.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th December 2017 at 16:55.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:14   #228
BHPian

I recently purchased a new Alto K10 VXI model. Car has done approx 390 kms till now. I have been facing an issue wherein i feel that the steering wheel is little hard when i compared the same with my Accent GLE.
Also when i take a full turn ( either right or left), the steering does not center back on its own ( something like "If I make a right turn then proceed straight the car wants to pull right and also when making left turns it does the same wanting to pull left" )

I have shown the same to the dealer and according to them, the car is new and this should resolve on its own when the car has travelled some "more" Kms.

But i am not really very satisfied with their answer. Can somebody share insight on this?
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:32   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I recently purchased a new Alto K10 VXI model. Car has done approx 390 kms till now. I have been facing an issue wherein i feel that the steering wheel is little hard when i compared the same with my Accent GLE.
Also when i take a full turn ( either right or left), the steering does not center back on its own ( something like "If I make a right turn then proceed straight the car wants to pull right and also when making left turns it does the same wanting to pull left" )

I have shown the same to the dealer and according to them, the car is new and this should resolve on its own when the car has travelled some "more" Kms.

But i am not really very satisfied with their answer. Can somebody share insight on this?
There can be two problems

1. The front tyre pressure is too low. Check it.

2. The wheel alignment (Castor), may be off. Castor ensures that the wheels come back, which is not happening. I suggest that you consult Maruti Authorised Service Centre, other than your dealer.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:50   #230
BHPian

Quote:
While I haven't yet driven the new Alto K10, I get to regularly drive the old Alto K10. The Alto K10 & most Marutis equipped with EPS that I have driven seem to have a weak center-back action (including my 01 ZEN VXi). While I have never driven the Accent, from my experience of driving i10 (both gens) & i20 (both gens), the Hyundai cars seem to have a very strong center-back action (too strong for my liking).

Among all the cars that I have driven the M800, ZEN (non PS version), Fiat Punto seem to have the best center-back action (not too weak nor too strong). My cousin who owns a first gen i10 1.2 had a hard time adjusting to the power steering of my ZEN Vxi, the first time he drove her. So I guess what you are experiencing is common, still as Aroy suggested you should get the tyre pressure & alignment checked.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 23rd January 2018 at 11:52.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 09:18   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abeer. Generally the steering in the Alto K10 is a bit hard compared to most other cars and I think it is designed that way. Even I find my K10's steering to be hard compared to the feather light steering in our Ertiga and i20. The steering felt same in my friend's Alto as well. So that's how it is.

Quote:
Also when i take a full turn ( either right or left), the steering does not center back on its own ( something like "If I make a right turn then proceed straight the car wants to pull right and also when making left turns it does the same wanting to pull left" ) I have shown the same to the dealer and according to them, the car is new and this should resolve on its own when the car has travelled some "more" Kms. But i am not really very satisfied with their answer. Can somebody share insight on this?
Yes, the steering doesn't self center easily when taking U-turns. This is usual with Alto K10 and it is not an issue and it will not get resolved after more kms. Even some Renault Kwid owners reported the same and part of the reason is the steering set up itself and the light weight front end.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 11:15   #232
BHPian

I agree that the Alto K10 steering wheel feels heavier, especially at slow speeds. Compared to the steering of the Chevrolet Beat, I find turning this one at idle is a bit of a task.

The self-centering action of the steering is just how I like it, effective but not overzealous like some other cars.
Old 8th March 2018, 19:30   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Alto crosses another milestone.

Quote:
The entry-level market in India has been shaped by Maruti Suzuki, initially with Maruti 800 and now with Alto. Maruti has managed the transition exceptionally well.

Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review-dxk3z2axcaaudso.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 08:40   #234
BHPian

Guys, one urgent input needed.

My sister's Alto K10 AMT had just showed this light on the dashboard, when she is driving to office.

Is it for low engine oil? Is it ok to drive or she should stop?

Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review-img20180614wa0004.jpg

Edit-

Just found this in the manual I downloaded. It says there will be a damage with the emission control system if the light is on while engine is running.

Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review-img20180614wa0000.jpg

But question is, is it ok to run for 20 Kms with this light on?

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 14th June 2018 at 08:51.
Old 14th June 2018, 09:00   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
But question is, is it ok to run for 20 Kms with this light on?

KK
Reason for this indicator can be anything from rat bite to a failing sensor.

Unless there is a sign that you notice where there are performance issues, driving to the nearest ASC and getting the error scanned would be the wisest thing to do.

You never know the actual reason behind this. A good thing to do would be to open the bonnet and check for broken wires around the couplers.

But a visit to the ASC is a must to ascertain the cause.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 09:22   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

My sister's Alto K10 AMT had just showed this light on the dashboard, when she is driving to office.

In addition to what Parag said, since you say its an AMT, its better she takes it to the office and park it there. Tell her to call the ASC or the service advisor who did the previous service. They might be able to get the Scan tool to her workplace and sort the issue there. Worst case if not possible, if the distance back home is not much then it can be driven back home or to the ASC directly. If the car is in a driveable condition then it should be mostly some rat bite or sensor malfunction.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 09:37   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Reason for this indicator can be anything from rat bite to a failing sensor.

Unless there is a sign that you notice where there are performance issues, driving to the nearest ASC and getting the error scanned would be the wisest thing to do.

You never know the actual reason behind this. A good thing to do would be to open the bonnet and check for broken wires around the couplers.

But a visit to the ASC is a must to ascertain the cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In addition to what Parag said, since you say its an AMT, its better she takes it to the office and park it there. Tell her to call the ASC or the service advisor who did the previous service. They might be able to get the Scan tool to her workplace and sort the issue there. Worst case if not possible, if the distance back home is not much then it can be driven back home or to the ASC directly. If the car is in a driveable condition then it should be mostly some rat bite or sensor malfunction.

Thanks for revert Parag & Sankalp.

She has taken it to office now, I asked her to call the nearest Maruti dealer to inspect and take it to ASC if required.

But she said she could feel more jerk below 40 kms speed and it was pulling slower than usual.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 15:40   #238
Senior - BHPian

I am hearing conflicting feedback from the Service center staff. who feels Applying the handbrake is same as being on 1st gear with clutch pedal fully pressed as against slotting to neutral.

My fear is will it result in premature clutch wear out ?
Quote:
• If you're in Drive and pull up the handbrake (say, at a traffic light), the clutch will automatically disengage. This is far more convenient than shifting to Neutral each time you stop. To start moving again, you need to lower the handbrake and press the accelerator. If you don't press the accelerator, the clutch will remain disengaged and the car could roll forwards or backwards (depending on the slope of the road).

• Further to the point above, for regular usage, there is no need to use Neutral, other than for starting the car. Even when you're stationary in 'D', just engage the handbrake and it's as good as Neutral. Do remember to completely press the brake pedal to start the car; partially pressing it won't help.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 20:51   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am hearing conflicting feedback from the Service center staff. who feels Applying the handbrake is same as being on 1st gear with clutch pedal fully pressed as against slotting to neutral.

My fear is will it result in premature clutch wear out ?
Forget what the service guys tell these days. Its a load of crap most of the times due to untrained staff and technically non qualified guys being made to handle complex technology. Here is how it works:
  • The moment any brake is applied be it via the pedal or through the handbrake, the clutch is decoupled.
  • In such a condition, the only way you can couple the clutch is by pressing the accelerator pedal. This is done to help start off in inclines and that is when the clutch is slipped.
  • Hence, if only the brake is pressed or handbrake applied, the clutch is always in decoupled(open) position and will not slip or wear out until either the accelerator is pressed or once the brake pedal is released(for creep)
As long as you are not trying to stay in one place by keeping accelerator pressed lightly or trying to use left foot for braking, there is no risk of premature clutch wear or even clutch overheating. But keeping safety in mind, always switch to neutral once you reach a place where you have to stop irrespective of whether you use the handbrake or not.
Also, even though you switch to neutral, as long as you keep the engine running, the clutch will still be in open position, ie similar to shifting to neutral and keeping clutch pedal pressed in a manual transmission car. Hence, the theory of the service center is wrong.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th June 2018 at 20:54.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 22:23   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Here is how it works:
  • The moment any brake is applied be it via the pedal or through the handbrake, the clutch is decoupled.
  • In such a condition, the only way you can couple the clutch is by pressing the accelerator pedal. This is done to help start off in inclines and that is when the clutch is slipped.
  • Hence, if only the brake is pressed or handbrake applied, the clutch is always in decoupled(open) position and will not slip or wear out until either the accelerator is pressed or once the brake pedal is released(for creep)
Makes sense.
Also i am observing the RPM settling into idle the moment i apply the brake to bring to stand still. Interestingly i did not find any official mention the user manual. Is this common across AMT ? like in TATA as well ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks