Team-BHP - Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/158263-maruti-alto-k10-official-review-18.html)

Saw a video by Gyani Enough of 2019 Alto800, and it has received Dual Airbags along with these other safety features. Surprisingly, the more expensive Alto K10 only gets the Driver Airbag in it's kit update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMZem8cDzow

Even though the article mentions Driver Airbag only, but the video shows Passenger Side Airbag as well (around 8:05 in the video).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishnipon (Post 4470754)
Issue 1: Steering noise - since 2016 (fixed in Sep 2018)

This problem has resurfaced in the last few months. :Frustrati
Quote:

Issue 3: Engine whining at specific RPM - since > 1 year (not solved)
A visit to the FNG has provided me with clarity on this issue. While MASS had refused to accept that there was any such noise, Sumanda from Alok Automobiles caught the noise and assured me that it is nothing but gearbox whine. He advised me not to do anything about it.

Quote:

Issue 4: AMT issue? (new problem)

This never-before problem started from the day after I got the car back after the steering work (explained above) a few days ago where I am getting a transaxle warning indicator occasionally in the MID! I will write in details about it in the Maruti AMT thread.
This problem was solved on a subsequent visit to MASS. I will write about it in the AMT thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspv (Post 4548655)

Blaupunkt Montecarlo 750 in my Alto K10. I had got it installed with a reverse camera from MGA.

What was the total pocket pinch?
Quote:

Notice the wiired microphone placed near the instrument cluster for voice commands.
Is there any other way out, without using wires?

Hi all,
We purchased Alto K10 Vxi(o) in July 2017 and have completed 15,000 kms yet, mostly on highways. I wanted to purchase Tiago but couldn't due to financial reasons. Anyways, coming to the K10, love the way the engine revs to the redline and practically flies on the highway surprising bigger cars. The car is delivering 12-14 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic and 16-20 kmpl on highways.
While the car is not meant for the highway, is there any way we can mitigate its shortcomings?
- At any speed beyond 100, it feels like car is floating and have to hold the steering tight as any undulation sends the car scurrying in different directions. I keep the air pressure at 31 psi since lesser pressure causes high road noise and wear at outer edges of tire. What would be the optimum pressure to keep ride pliant and relatively less road noise?
- Any broken section on road is jarring at any speed, esp concrete roads on Bangalore ORR towards airport. Also, any road which is less than perfect is felt as if a hair trimmer is connected to the steering. I suspect the stock JK tyres to be the culprit. Any suggestions for a better tyre? People suggest XM2, but are they prone to punctures? Are Apollo accellere good?
- Will upsizing tyres help? I read various threads on this topic and people complain about the rear tyres rubbing against the fenders and body on load. Highway runs are usually with friends (4 ppl + luggage). While 175/55 is what I want but Maruti hasn't left any space between tyre and wheel arches so I highly doubt they will fit without rolling the arches. Since 165/60R13 are not available, is 165/65 advisable on stock 4.5J wheels? Has anyone tried with positive offset wider alloys?
- Has anyone upgraded suspension components? While there is lot of vertical movement over uneven surfaces, the car thrashes over potholes and I have felt the rear suspension bottom out even under 2 up with luggage. Do polyurethane bushes or strut braces help? My car is still under warranty.
- Thanks to TeamBHP, I was able to fit a day night mirror in my Alto, which has made my night drives in city tolerable. Is there any way we can fit a light switch for the boot and the hood as well, connected to interior light?
- Will damping sheets reduce the sound inside? I can literally hear people talking outside the car. The audio system is stock as of now. Also, the door pads vibrate and flex with the music. Any suggestions?
Apologies for the long post, while it would be best for me to sell the car and purchase a highway ready car but can't for lack of Vitamin M right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishnipon (Post 4649662)
What was the total pocket pinch?
Is there any other way out, without using wires?

The wires should be run behind the dash, then in the driver side A pillar and mic should be mounted on top right corner of the windshield. Thats the right way to install it.
If you are looking for a system - go for SONY XAV AX3000 (resistive touch) or AX5000 (Capacitive touch). Will cost between 16k to 20k including installation at good accessory stores. I have used AX5000 in my car and its worth every penny paid. Both include android auto/apple car play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey (Post 4655115)
Hi all,
We purchased Alto K10 Vxi(o) in July 2017 and have completed 15,000 kms yet, mostly on highways. I wanted to purchase Tiago but couldn't due to financial reasons.

Congratulations & thats a good running number. I bought the K10 VXI AGS for my wife exactly for the same reason instead of Tiago. Lack of money. But I'd say it was the right choice in hindsight. The car is so small and devoid of any features whatsoever, we take it anywhere in the city! Don't care about parking it at crazy places or about bike riding morons putting scratches on it. :D It does its job as a city run-about very well & I have stopped going anywhere on a bike for more than 2 kms altogether. Its much better to travel in it with my kid, than on a 2 wheeler on our killer roads.

As for the problems you mentioned - I'm afraid none of them can be fixed to turn an Alto into a Tiago. Live with those & work around them. Tyre upsize, suspension changes, door damping will make marginal changes to ride quality, sound output. But the money you'll spend on those - will not be justified by the tiny improvements you'll see in comparison. The car is not meant to be a cross country highway cruiser anyway & so isn't built as one. Its a wonderful package for the right purpose - a very reliable, comfortable cool city runabout that can take you places outside town once in a while.

As for the door trim & dashboard plastic - its just thicker than white-paper. It flexes even at the touch of little finger (try it on top of console or on the top part of dash near RHS AC vent). Door pads vibrate with speakers & flex with window rolling mechanism. None of these can be fixed as its that way by design I'm afraid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4655124)
As for the problems you mentioned - I'm afraid none of them can be fixed to turn an Alto into a Tiago. Live with those & work around them.

True, the amount of cost cutting Maruti has done on their smaller cars is unbelievable! The car is a joy to use in the city, fitting into tight spaces, able to squeeze and be parked wherever, its just slightly wider than an auto-rickshaw. Perhaps I will save money and buy a bigger car once my wife learns to drive (it's her car after all :D, I would rather be on a bike) since we love to go on roadtrips every 2-3 months or when there is a long weekend.

On a side note, what tyre pressure do you suggest for a good balance between tyre life and ride quality since 33psi is too high and causes a bumpy ride

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey (Post 4655227)
On a side note, what tyre pressure do you suggest for a good balance between tyre life and ride quality since 33psi is too high and causes a bumpy ride

Correct! Save up (that much more motivation to continue working :D) & get a good strong highway touring car some years later. The Alto lives happily for decades so you can maintain it easily as a 2nd car. Its light on pocket to keep that way. Frugal little gem!
I fill up 30 PSI & let it drop a month or two! By the time I fill up again its around 27ish. Which is okay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey (Post 4655115)
- At any speed beyond 100, it feels like car is floating and have to hold the steering tight as any undulation sends the car scurrying in different directions. I keep the air pressure at 31 psi since lesser pressure causes high road noise and wear at outer edges of tire. What would be the optimum pressure to keep ride pliant and relatively less road noise?
- Any broken section on road is jarring at any speed, esp concrete roads on Bangalore ORR towards airport. Also, any road which is less than perfect is felt as if a hair trimmer is connected to the steering. I suspect the stock JK tyres to be the culprit. Any suggestions for a better tyre? People suggest XM2, but are they prone to punctures? Are Apollo accellere good?
- Will upsizing tyres help? I read various threads on this topic and people complain about the rear tyres rubbing against the fenders and body on load. Highway runs are usually with friends (4 ppl + luggage). While 175/55 is what I want but Maruti hasn't left any space between tyre and wheel arches so I highly doubt they will fit without rolling the arches. Since 165/60R13 are not available, is 165/65 advisable on stock 4.5J wheels? Has anyone tried with positive offset wider alloys?

I have upsized my K10 AMT to Michelin XM2 165/65 R13 on stock wheels since purchase 4 years ago - no complaints whatsoever! Car seems safer & more planted and more importantly the ride over Mumbai roads is better as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakv (Post 4655280)
I have upsized my K10 AMT to Michelin XM2 165/65 R13 on stock wheels since purchase 4 years ago - no complaints whatsoever! Car seems safer & more planted and more importantly the ride over Mumbai roads is better as well.

Thats good to hear since the car is undertyred for the performance it packs (85+ bhp/tonne)! Do the rear tyres rub under full load, since the K10 tyre upgrade thread has folks complaining about tires rubbing when using 165/65

Guys, is there a MGP day/night mirror for the current K10? It is really a pain at night and I need to get this changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat_tarun (Post 4662292)
Guys, is there a MGP day/night mirror for the current K10? It is really a pain at night and I need to get this changed.

Quoting my post regarding the same. It is suitable for the present gen Alto 800 & K10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 4234681)
I am using a Day-Night Mirror from the 1st Gen Wagon R (F10 Engine one) on my A Star for the past few years. I fit one on the Alto too around 6 months back.

It costs Rs.700/-

The same mirror is a direct fit on Wagon R Gen 1, A Star, Alto (all versions) and Estilo. It comes along with the cabin lamp as a single unit. It's not usually available readily. Just give an order at your local MGP Store and you will get it within a week.

This is the part number and details.

Attachment 1657240

(I happened to have the box in which the mirror came lying around). And it's DIY stuff.

Take off the cabin lamp lens by pushing in slightly at the sides and pulling down. Unscrew both screws holding the IRVM in place. This will be little tight. The mirror will come free. Now disconnect the wire to the cabin lamp. Connect the wire to new mirror cabin lamp. Reverse the above procedures.

The ones on Swift /Ritz /Ertiga / New Gen Wagon R are all not a direct fit as it's an unit seperate from the cabin lamp. So they cost less too. Around Rs. 400/-

Here are a few pics to show where to apply pressure on the lens and the screws to be undone.

Attachment 1657269

Attachment 1657270

Attachment 1657271

Attachment 1657272

Attachment 1657273

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat_tarun (Post 4662292)

Yes, you can easily get a earlier WagonR mirror fitted in, I am using the same since day 1, costs about 700-800 and a easy 5-10 min swap by the Maruti service centre (if you do not want to get your hands dirty),

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 4662359)
Quoting my post regarding the same. It is suitable for the present gen Alto 800 & K10

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantanumishra (Post 4668182)
Yes, you can easily get a earlier WagonR mirror fitted in, I am using the same since day 1, costs about 700-800 and a easy 5-10 min swap by the Maruti service centre (if you do not want to get your hands dirty),

Went to the Maruti dealer close by and as expected they did not have the part in stock and weren't ready to order it as well. :eek:

Casually checked Bodomo and they had it in stock. Have placed a order now. Link for others interested (INR 692 with shipping)
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-mirr..._view-6788610/

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat_tarun (Post 4670642)

Casually checked Bodomo and they had it in stock. Have placed a order now. Link for others interested (INR 692 with shipping)
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-mirr..._view-6788610/

Received and installed today. Easy DIY that anyone can do. Current MRP for reference.

For any K10 users that are looking for a good & economical lighting upgrade, my DIY thread for HID fog light installation is published on the forum now. You can have a look here -
Link - TBHP DIY Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat_tarun (Post 4672714)
Received and installed today. Easy DIY that anyone can do. Current MRP for reference.

Quite reasonable price. Seems someone at MSIL GP likes to use the 1337 (LEET) script! The product name reads "INS1DE". :D