Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 14:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review

The big question is, does is look any better than competition (Eon & GO)? The answer is NO!
Will it sell as its predecessor? Big Yes! Its MSIL low budget hatch after all!

I think we are too much expecting from this car in terms of safety, build quality and NVH levels. I think, they are at par if the price is considered. What you get in this price range is a car with best power to weight ratio and the cheapest automatic box. It serves the purpose for a enthusiasts who is low on budget.
I'm sure, this model will better the sales numbers we have ever seen by a car in Indian auto-scene.
Aficionados is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 19:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Straight line stability at speed is worst for any car i have driven, at speed slightest gentle input to the steering is good enough send shivers down to your spine. I feel in case of emergency evasive maneuvers this car is going to be uncontrollable even for experienced drivers.
Will a tyre size upgrade improve the stability?
Old 5th December 2014, 20:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The trick here is that when the car is standing still on a slope, keep the handbrake engaged in 'D' mode. If you're in 'N', and want to start moving, engage into 'D' mode with the brake depressed (obviously) -> keep the handbrake engaged and only then release the brake and press the throttle -> when you can sense that the car is pulling you forward, release the handbrake. Honestly, it is no big deal. Many people adopt the same trick on their manual cars too (as an alternative to the half-clutch technique).
With time you will get used to it.
Thanks for the explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The tricky part with the AMT in city driving though is parking into tight spots. Unlike a conventional AT where it's possible to ease the car forward very gradually, the AMT is more of an 'on or off' solution, as it tries its best not to slip the clutch more than required. This results in more eager movement, which can be a bit tricky when getting in & out of tight parking spaces.
Do you suggest the manual mode when parking?
Old 5th December 2014, 21:56   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

S2!!!,

Compliments to you on what is the best and most thorough review I have read on any car in any forum. The home work you have done deserves a 6 on 5 rating. I can't help but wonder how much is packaged into small cars today and for a modest price to boot. When my father got delivery of his M800 in 1985 it didn't have two-thirds of the features of today's Alto and yet just a generation ago it was the talk of the neighbourhood and considered the most modern car in India (which relatively speaking it was). The old man did not trust it with my youthful driving for a whole year.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 23:38   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Few observation's from a last generation k10 owner.

1) I don't like this new shape. The older k10 looked better. (Personal opinion) Now the rear is too identical with the Alto800 and Celerio.

2) New dashboard and interiors look good.

3)Air Bag in the top model is most welcome.

4) Vxi loses out on the fog lamp. Its a bad miss.

5) Vxi gets music system now. Its really a welcome change.

6) Lx and lxi do not get left side ORVM and a 12v socket. How much does these two cost? If not the 12V socket why not a left ORVM? This shows Maruti's attitude towards safety for there customers.

7) At-least Vxi(o) could have got power windows in the rear. Again a bad miss.

8)My one year old K10 nearing 9,000kms rattles from 2-3 places. Hope Maruti addresses these irritants.

9) MID is too a welcome change, Vxi onwards.

10) K10 AMT too is a sensible option for people looking for a small peppy hassle free hatch in the congested cities.

Overall as a package it looks VFM and should again put the sales chart on fire as its doing from the past several years.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 11:26   #36
BHPian

Today I checked the dicky of new car. I was delighted to see a jack there. But could not find wrench, spanner, etc with a torch light.

There is no RFID tag on the windscreen of my alto!
Old 6th December 2014, 12:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
Today I checked the dicky of new car. I was delighted to see a jack there. But could not find wrench, spanner, etc with a torch light.

There is no RFID tag on the windscreen of my alto!
Seriously?

Our November 2013 built WagonR has it. She was registered MH12KT1480, in Jan 2014.

Spanners should be present. They're very much there, I reckon. Wrenches, I doubt.

Altogether another matter, that she has run 2,000 kilometers in the course of an year. Blame it on the bicycle.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 6th December 2014 at 12:29.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 13:02   #38
BHPian

Dealer (Machino Techno) didn't provide me the extra H4 headlamp bulbs! :(
Old 6th December 2014, 13:07   #39
BHPian

A very relevant video to this thread on AMT.

**If it was shared earlier, plesse delete this post.

Last edited by ganesc : 6th December 2014 at 13:11.
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 20:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend took delivery of his new K10 Vxi. So was with him and drove the car.

Few things i noticed immediately are-

1)The clutch is super light than my last generation K10. I felt the new clutch like the one i have in my Etios petrol or even lighter than my Etios. The time i handed over the car to my friends driver he just stalled the car in the first go! Then from there he got used to it.

2)The gear shifts are smoother and definitely the reverse gear slotted more smoothly than my K10.

3) The low end torque felt slightly improved than the last generation k10.

4) Power window switches shifted from the door pad to behind the gear shift. I personally like it on the door pad.

5) Stock music system is very basic. It plays mp3, aux, usb and fm but has no remote. But atleast they are providing one now!

Overall the feel good factor and the new tuned up engine deserves a thumbs up. .
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 22:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

I feel the Alto twins; are cars that are strictly meant for point A to point B commute in the city. They are best suited for that. Expect no more and you will be satisfied. Obviously the Alto badge will mean the car will sell in good numbers. Especially those who are first time buyers, will find the LX and LXi options lucrative. Overall a nice effort by Maruti to provide an affordable means of transport to the masses.

I would like to have one as a beater car within the city and for daily use. However, I would be sceptical of venturing out on the highway, with these cars. For some reason, in the pictures; even the Tata Nano looks more sturdily built than the Alto!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post

I am already an owner of the AMT. This is my first car and here are my observations.
How is your Alto K10 AMT keeping up? Do give an update about your ownership experience with the car and any additional observations which have been missed out in the review.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:49   #43
BHPian

Any thoughts on converting the AMT into CNG post the warranty period?
Old 13th January 2015, 17:23   #44
BHPian

This does not happen often, but since a month, the accelerator pedal is taking longer than it should to return to idle position. Service centre guys sprayed grease and looked for obstructions, but, that hasn't helped.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Please advise how I can go about resolving this issue. Thank you in advance
Old 28th January 2015, 14:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Hmmmm interesting indeed. I have the same stock tires of the same specification on my 1st gen K10 and the recommended pressure is 32PSI. Am now starting to think whether they are playing it smart by bumping up the pressure to gain that extra km/litre mileage. I am now tempted to go in for 35 PSI on my 1gen K10 too! I'm aware it will result in faster (and uneven) tire wear and the suspension will take a beating ... may be just for the one fueling cycle, to see if it improves mileage in any way!
I am quoting my own post - after I did the PSI test on my 1st Gen Alto K10. I did a 35PSI on all 4 tires and .. YES the mileage did differ - that too by almost 2kmpl in pathetic city traffic. I was getting 11.23kmpl on 32PSI and I touched 13.04kmpl on 35PSI - all under the same horrible Koramangala, Bannerghatta road B2B traffic. Under "standard test conditions", I feel this extrapolates to something around 23kmpl which is quite close to the mileage of the new Alto K10. I'll just rotate my tires a little bit earlier now (8K rather than 10K kms ) to ensure even wear on the rubber.
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks