Team-BHP - Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti Alto K10 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/158263-maruti-alto-k10-official-review-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsathyap (Post 3633146)
I am quoting my own post - after I did the PSI test on my 1st Gen Alto K10. I did a 35PSI on all 4 tires and .. YES the mileage did differ - that too by almost 2kmpl in pathetic city traffic. I was getting 11.23kmpl on 32PSI and I touched 13.04kmpl on 35PSI - all under the same horrible Koramangala, Bannerghatta road B2B traffic. Under "standard test conditions", I feel this extrapolates to something around 23kmpl which is quite close to the mileage of the new Alto K10. I'll just rotate my tires a little bit earlier now (8K rather than 10K kms ) to ensure even wear on the rubber.

That is great to read. I am assuming the ride would be bouncier but with average speeds of 20-25 km/hr the higher air pressure would not even be noticeable, right?

However, months after the Alto K10's launch I've barely seen a few of these on the streets of Mumbai. However, during the GO+ drive, there were a lot of examples of the new Alto K10 (particularly in white) found in Uttarakhand.

I hope to book one soon to replace my 2001 Zen mpfi. AMT FTW! I've only spotted one new K10 in Mumbai as well. Surprising as its the perfect second car for the city. (Pun intended as my other car is a City SV!)

I just got a new Alto-K10-VXi-AMT for my wife last week. Have driven it around Pune city for 100 km over the last 2 days. Impressed with the ease of use of the AMT gearbox.

My only observation is that the car is unsettled by regular undulations on the road while turning, at speeds as low as 40 kmph. Never observed this in my old Alto that was 12 years old. I am guessing this is due to overinflated tyres, need to check.

I checked the tyre pressure- it was at 50 psi in all the tyres when delivered from the showroom - got it down to 32 psi as recommended by Maruti.

Now the unsettled roadholding is gone, and the car is very sure footed in the city. Wish Maruti dealers check tyre pressure during PDI as well!!

Did a quick test drive for AMT model.
In Bangalore it is priced at 5L OTR which IMHO is high for a second car.

Did anyone notice that there is no place to accommodate a normal water bottle in this vehicle :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet (Post 3639818)
Did a quick test drive for AMT model.
In Bangalore it is priced at 5L OTR which IMHO is high for a second car.

Did anyone notice that there is no place to accommodate a normal water bottle in this vehicle :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3594889)
Useful 1L bottle holder which can be folded away when not in use:

I guess you missed the bottle holder behind the handbrake console :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3594891)

Hill starts require that you use the correct procedure in order to minimize rollback. There's even a sticker on the driver's door advising you to use the handbrake to aid starting on an incline. When starting off on a hill, switching your foot immediately from the brake to accelerator will result in the car rolling back....before it engages the clutch and moves forward. On a steep hill, the car can roll back as much as 3 feet before moving forward. It's dangerous, and also bad for the clutch in terms of wear & tear and overheating. In fact, there's a special 'transaxle overheating' warning light just for this. Thus, it's best to use the parking brake when starting off on an incline. This results in only an inch or two of rollback and a very gradual start-off. A 'Hill Hold' braking function would have been a neat addition, but we can't complain too much considering its affordable price tag.

A million thanks for a great review with such brilliant detailing and more than a handful of photographs!

Reg. the hill hold issue mentioned above, does this translate to what we actually do in a MT using a semi depressed clutch when starting off on steep slopes? (leaving aside the transaxle overheating issue mentioned for the AMT?)
Also, is the hill hold function missed out in all AMT cars like the zest and celerio?

Do pardon my ignorance for posing these questions.stupid:

Still looking around for a MT to AMT upgrade for my dad.

HR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humbleroadster (Post 3640204)
Reg. the hill hold issue mentioned above, does this translate to what we actually do in a MT using a semi depressed clutch when starting off on steep slopes? (leaving aside the transaxle overheating issue mentioned for the AMT?)

Absolutely, like the manual. I'm quoting my explanation from a few pages ago:
Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3595658)
The trick here is that when the car is standing still on a slope, keep the handbrake engaged in 'D' mode. If you're in 'N', and want to start moving, engage into 'D' mode with the brake depressed (obviously) -> keep the handbrake engaged and only then release the brake and press the throttle -> when you can sense that the car is pulling you forward, release the handbrake. Honestly, it is no big deal. Many people adopt the same trick on their manual cars too (as an alternative to the half-clutch technique).

With time you will get used to it.

Quote:

Also, is the hill hold function missed out in all AMT cars like the zest and celerio?

Yes, hill hold function is missed out in the Alto K10, Celerio, Zest AMT but then I wouldn't complain about that (keeping their price in mind).

Quote:

Still looking around for a MT to AMT upgrade for my dad.

I'd assume that this will be the first time he'd be owning an 'automatic'. If the drive is for short intra-city drives, the Alto K10 fits the bill perfectly. It is small, nimble, easy to park, has decent all round visibility, super fuel efficient and moreover the convenience of an AT.

What is the recommended tyre upsize? 165/65 R13 ? Would this fit on the stock steel rims? Excited to book my K10 AMT soon - any word on the wait periods? In Mumbai im being told 2 months.

The AMT or Automated Manual Transmission is an automated gear shifting mechanism that is coupled to a conventional 5 speed gearbox. It is currently available on Maruti Celerio, Tata Zest and Alto-K10 cars in India, and is made by the Italian manufacturer Magneti Marelli which is a part of the FIAT S.P.A. group.

Magnetti Marelli describes AMT as follows on their website - The robotized gearbox is a type of gearbox for automotive use whose name comes from the “robotization”, in other words the substitution of manual drives with automatic drives, of a regular manual gearbox. The electronic control unit independently manages the clutch and gear engagement movements. The Magneti Marelli robotized gearboxes feature hydraulic actuation of the movements, with faster actuation speed and consequently improved sports performances and greater vehicle comfort. Strong of a longstanding experience in this sector, which began with the first robotized gearbox created for the Formula 1, Magneti Marelli supplies its robotized gearboxes to all manufacturers of super sports cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Audi), compact cars and commercial vehicles.

So AMT has the pedigree of being born on the Formula-1 race track. Since the mechanical gearbox remains the same, it offers the same fuel efficiency as a manual shifter. I have been driving manual cars for more than 20 years now, and so was very interested in trying AMT out first hand. Here is my experience in driving an AMT Alto-K10 car from Maruti-Suzuki.

The AMT gearbox has two modes, fully automatic mode (D) and manual override mode (M).

Fully Automatic Mode (D)
D mode is for stop and start city traffic. The brake needs to be pressed when you slot the car from Neutral (N) to D. If you keep the brake pressed at standstill in D mode the clutch disengages, and the car remains in first gear. This is exactly like pressing the clutch pedal and slotting into the first gear in a manual gearbox.

When you release the brake, the clutch engages and car starts inching forward, even if you do not touch the accelerator – this is called the creeping mode, and is useful in stop and start traffic. To get on the move you gradually press the accelerator. The car now picks up speed, and starts shifting to higher gears as it gathers speed.

You can soon learn to coax the AMT by giving the accelerator some respite near it shift points, and it will use the opportunity to upshift immediately for better fuel economy. On the Alto K10 it shifts around 1500 rpm from first to fourth gear at about 10, 20, 35 kmph. It shifts to fifth gear after crossing 50 kmph only.

If your speed reduces, the AMT automatically upshifts as required. If you try to overtake by flooring the accelerator, it responds by upshifting and staying in the same gear for better acceleration. The automated shifting logic actually does its job better than an average driver, so this should result in better clutch life and fuel efficiency.

When you come to a complete halt at a traffic light, it stays in first gear with the clutch disengaged. If the stop is for a long duration above 30 seconds, it is best to engage the handbrake and shift the lever to Neutral (N), to prevent clutch wear. To start going again you have to remember to press the brake, shift to D mode and move on.

If you are on an incline when standstill, you need to use the hand-brake to prevent rolling back. When you release the brake coordination skill of releasing the handbrake and pressing the accelerator in tandem is definitely needed.

When parking the car, it is best to leave it in D mode and shut the engine. This will keep the first gear engaged, and prevent accidental rolling, exactly how we keep the manual gearboxes in gear when shutting down.

Manual Override Mode (M)
This mode is useful when on open highways, when you want to cruise in fifth gear most of the time. I found using D mode on highways causes the AMT box make unnecessary false upshifts to fourth gear. On the highway you can upshift with the flick of the lever when you need to overtake or accelerate. This mode is also useful while climbing and descending hilly roads, as you get to choose the right gear. The AMT in D mode keeps hunting for the right gear under these conditions.

When on the highways in M mode if your speed reduces for some reason AMT will automatically downshift till the right gear for you. You can then upshift using the lever as you accelerate. If you hit a stop light on the M mode, it is best to switch back to D mode. Let the car pick up speed again, and then switch back to M for cruising.

The M mode will satisfy drivers who want to use the power band of their car engine based on the conditions, but will still free them from the hassle of using the manual clutch. This is how the Formula-1 drivers extract the best performance from their cars in racing conditions.

Overall
Overall I feel the AMT transmission is very valuable stress buster in high traffic situations that are increasingly becoming the norm in urban areas. It retains the flexibility of manual override that will appeal to the expert drivers as well. It is a good balance of automation without sacrificing fuel efficiency. The Alto K-10 with AMT and a mix of D and M mode driving on the highway delivered 21 kmpl, which is as good as one can expect with a manual gearbox. AMT is surely capable of becoming the popular choice of automatic transmission in India in the near future.

I test drove the AMT while checking out a car from my father-in-law. Interiors have been slightly improved, although the car seems a little smaller to me than the previous gen K10. The design is more modern and the Vxi O AMT trim offers more features (Music Player/Body colored door handles) etc than compared to the Celerio Vxi AMT which doesn't have an options pack.

Hooked, cooked, booked! Booked my K10 AMT at SK Wheels Andheri Link road, Mumbai - waiting period has been informed as 4-5 weeks. Cant wait!

Hi, I have sent my car to get its 2nd free service done at MASS-Gurgaon. The service advisor just mentioned that the wheel alignment and balancing is chargeable(Rs 1000/-) and to add 3M fuel additives to the tank for better mileage. My understanding is that a free service should be free. The service manual says inspect at 2nd service for wheel alignment, they want to charge me to inspect it by putting it on the machine? I refused both for now as Rs 1000/- for wheel alignment is almost twice outside MASS. Your thoughts...

Booked my k10 AMT at ABT, Chennai.
Fortunately vehicles already in transit and can expect delivery in 20 days. Lets see...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowall (Post 3652087)
Hi, I have sent my car to get its 2nd free service done at MASS-Gurgaon. The service advisor just mentioned that the wheel alignment and balancing is chargeable(Rs 1000/-) and to add 3M fuel additives to the tank for better mileage. My understanding is that a free service should be free. The service manual says inspect at 2nd service for wheel alignment, they want to charge me to inspect it by putting it on the machine? I refused both for now as Rs 1000/- for wheel alignment is almost twice outside MASS. Your thoughts...

You my friend just saved a thousand bucks. :thumbs up
the Fuel additive is just not required.
in fact, i guess in the manual it is mentioned that no fuel additives should be used.

And the alignment is required once every 5k kms.
Outside they charge 350 rs INR