Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 13:47   #196
BHPian

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Took a TD of the Bolt Revotron XT at Concorde Motors showroom on KR Road on 10-Jan. My +1 to all the positive feedback on Bolt expressed so far on this thread. Didn't get any information from the showroom on expected pricing/FE/variants

One point which I did not see being mentioned anywhere was the space between the clutch pedal and the center console. On the Zest, there was a complaint that there is hardly any space to the left of the clutch pedal. I have done a test drive of the Zest also before and the Bolt seems to have improved in this aspect. I did get a decent amount of leg space to the left of the clutch pedal in the Bolt.

The FE shown on the MID of the TD car was 8 kmpl, but the TD car had only run 170 kms, so it would be too early to draw any conclusions.

The showroom promised to get back with a valuation quote for my old car in 2 days, but havent heard anything from them yet (its been 5 days as of today), so will probably move on to another vendor
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 16:30   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Took a TD of the Bolt Revotron XT at Concorde Motors showroom on KR Road on 10-Jan. My +1 to all the positive feedback on Bolt expressed so far on this thread. Didn't get any information from the showroom on expected pricing/FE/variants

One point which I did not see being mentioned anywhere was the space between the clutch pedal and the center console. On the Zest, there was a complaint that there is hardly any space to the left of the clutch pedal. I have done a test drive of the Zest also before and the Bolt seems to have improved in this aspect. I did get a decent amount of leg space to the left of the clutch pedal in the Bolt.

The FE shown on the MID of the TD car was 8 kmpl, but the TD car had only run 170 kms, so it would be too early to draw any conclusions.

The showroom promised to get back with a valuation quote for my old car in 2 days, but havent heard anything from them yet (its been 5 days as of today), so will probably move on to another vendor
Check with Concorde at Diary Circle. I got slightly lower than market price for my M800 which I exchanged with them when I bought Manza. Initially they will quote a unrealistic low figure, then they will give you some exchange bonus, further you can haggle a bit, which all put together should look reasonable to you.

Which is the car that you are exchanging?

In terms of looks which was discussed a lot in the previous page, I would say that looks of a car are highly subjective. Some may like the vista and some may not. They is no point in arguing on that.

We know that Tata has put in lots of hard work on the design cues for the Bolt. But if a family member says that it resembles vista, he may or may not be right. But he has all rights to express what he felt so. We can't stop him/her , isn't it?

In terms of looks alone, I liked the Zest more than Bolt. I felt the bolt looked good in the front than in the rear and side profile. I would appreciate Tata for having learnt from its mistake. They never used the word vista along with bolt like they did for the Manza as Indigo Manza which took away so many customers from buying a Manza thinking that it just an upgrade of Indigo. But that is actually not correct and not a deal breaker, if you ask me

Last edited by rki2007 : 14th January 2015 at 16:59.
rki2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:23   #198
Taffy

I was amazed by the Zest , paisa for paisa a better car than Amaze in the same price range. My Indica has worked hard over the years for the family, lots of memories, though never completely happy with it perhaps because of the lack of real smooth features like what is coming in the cars of today. Must test drive the Bolt. Sometimes I wish I was a sheikh and could keep a stable of 300 cars including the ones I don't like :-)

Old 14th January 2015, 17:33   #199
BHPian

Thanks for the tip on the exchange process !
The SA at Concorde KR Road mentioned that there was no bonus being offered, just the exchange value.
I'm planning to talk to multiple dealers before I decide the vendor from whom I will be purchasing the Bolt. My current ride is a 7 year old Palio Stile
Old 15th January 2015, 10:48   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The entire side profile may have the same silhouette
That was my only point to begin with!

Now that we have an agreement -
Quote:
The entire side profile may have the same silhouette, but everything else is different.
Quote:
We know our cars. That is not true for the mass market.
Exactly. Everything else is different. And we know that because we know our cars. The mass market doesn't know their cars. Correct. They only see the silhouette, which as you yourself mention above - is same as the Vista.

The comment I mentioned above was from my father, who can be considered a member of the ignorant mass market above. Basically he said its an Indica not by referring anywhere, but from the resemblance in the looks.
Quote:
They are not advertising the Bolt as another version of Indica Vista and mass market would not know that either.
Would you like to argue further that the mass market will only be able to see the silhouette shared with the Vista, only if TATA advertises it as an 'Indica Bolt'?
Quote:
Vista is not considered a failure either. The taxi image and relatively minor updates to car which wasn't a looker to start with, has been its falling.
Quote:
Considering the volumes they are doing now and the market sentiment, even if they manage to arrest the slide, it will be considered a reasonable success.
May be you don't consider it a failure, but you contradict yourself above again. Anyways, most of the mass-market does. And as you say - the taxi image really hurt it and one of the reasons was the resemblance to the Indica. Carrying over the silhouette is in effect - dragging some of that past along.

Quote:
And they know their mistake. Bolt is the best in-house design effort from Tata in a long long time.
Accepted. I never argued that the Bolt looks bad. It is the best design from TATA, after the days of the good old Safari and Sierra IMO.

As mentioned above - the only argument here is that it resembles the Indica Vista. That that IMO will become a major bane for TATA. The reason for that is the shared platform - but that is TATA's problem - if they couldn't come up with a proper refresh even after so many years. Even with the shared platform - they could have changed the visual feel of the door panels or the windowline a bit more, rather than just sticking a vinyl on the C pillar.

Anyways, we are going in circles, so I'll just stop here.
Quote:
And while Audi is doing decent volumes, the Jetta still isn't a success.
Think beyond the Indian market buddy. Audi -> Jetta -> Superb is an international design change, and not just for the Indian market. Check how the rear end designs have been evolving for these brands lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
I was amazed by the Zest , paisa for paisa a better car than Amaze in the same price range.
After the recent prices hikes - Zest 90ps diesel is 8k cheaper than Amaze VX petrol! That's unbeatable VFM with a lot more quality, equipment etc and a diesel motor under the hood.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 19:59   #201
BHPian

Saw a Red bolt XT in Quadron, Hinjewadi yesterday, It was there for promotion.

Some observations:
-Looked nice in RED color.
-8 spoke alloy were also nice, it was good year R-15 ( not sure about brand)
-HARMAN touch screen Entertainment system was doing justice to its brand.
-Piano black finished gear nob was also adding to class of BOLT's interiors.
-Boot space looked less, the guy from tata did not know the measurement, -but boot certainly was bigger than my SWIFT.
-From back it did not look like indica at all, but to me, front looked some what similar.
-On asking for prize he said top-end will cost you 6 lacs and 20k on-road , if they prize it as he said, bolt will be a killer.

And yeah there was a contest for those who fill the inquiry form, in the form you were asked to select either of the 2.

1) chance to WIN a BOLT
2) feature in next BOLT TV commercial

I selected the first one and now I am praying
Old 15th January 2015, 23:14   #202
BHPian

What a review, terrific!
Not even spared the QC defects, so very relevant. While it is assuring to see Tata upping their quality levels in many departments, issues like these leave much scope for improvement.
Old 16th January 2015, 09:42   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly my TD car also showed 8 kmpl on the MID with 350+ odd kms on the ODO.
During my test drive of around 6 kms, it did improve to 8.3
Maybe it is because everyone drives around in 'Sports' mode and tries the push the car harder.
In my case, I was in the right gear for the most part of the drive, expect when I tried using the 2nd gear to get the car going from almost standstill.

Real-world averages should be in soon.
Old 16th January 2015, 12:27   #204
BHPian

Really good review and a very detailed one (something I really love about team-bhp, you folks rock!!).

I got the Vista D90 ZX+ in Nov 2013 so can see so many resemblance's to it. Guess the D90 was like a test bed before they went ballistic with design changes. The boot lamp is something I miss in my D90 - luckily I see it on the bolt, so sometime I should be able to get the part numbers and order them to get it fitted on my D90 (wishful thinking).

As for folks who are debating on the mass-market and stuff, end of day it boils down to you - what you pleasure in driving and how deep your pockets are
Old 16th January 2015, 13:57   #205
Senior - BHPian

I saw the bolt at Borivali near Wasan Motors showroom a couple of days ago. The car was already registered & probably would be Wasan Motor's TD vehicle. It was red in colour and looked good. Paint quality & build quality looked way better than the Swift. I could not observe the interiors properly. Exteriors are impressive, except that vinyl cladding on C pillar which does not gel with the design.

From the rear it doesn't resemble an Indica. I feel they could have done a better job at filling the space of erstwhile Christmas tree lights besides the rear windscreen. Apart from that, the rear design is acceptable.

I wish all the best to Tata with this product! It seems capable to take on the competition. But as someone has said earlier on this thread/Zest review thread, Tata will need to consistently launch a few more good quality products backed up by acceptable levels of service to regain their lost reputation!

Tried to upload photos but somehow unable to do so from iOS app. Will retry later.
Old 16th January 2015, 14:44   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a Bolt just now on road with a TC plate. However, not sure if it's permitted or legal to have a Bihar (BR) TC plate in Ranchi, Jharkhand (JH).

Coming to the car, the paint quality and exteriors did look upmarket than previous Tata hatchbacks. However, I would not blame most casual onlookers if they confuse it with the Vista.
Old 16th January 2015, 15:10   #207
Team-BHP Support

By the way, Team Bhp members also don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for the Bolt, as they did for Zest. I'm one from this list.

Zest thread was 49 pages strong just within a month of going online. However - the Bolt thread is just 12 pages! A part of this surely would be due to the pricing not being announced yet. However, do note that the Bolt thread came online during the peak of the 'car of the year' sentiments that the Zest managed to gather. And hence should have attracted some eyeballs.

I feel the bolt will only be in the shadow of the Zest and never in the limelight.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 15:32   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
By the way, Team Bhp members also don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for the Bolt, as they did for Zest. I'm one from this list.

I feel the bolt will only be in the shadow of the Zest and never in the limelight.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the two cars are basically identical i.e. sharing the same platform etc. The bolt hopefully shares all the strong points of the zest and if priced well, which most tata cars are, should do great. Hence people might be looking at it as an extension of the zest platform and we have already expressed our thoughts on the zest thread. Why repeat them.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 17:33   #209
BHPian

7-seater, 3.80 - 4.61L ex-Delhi, 20.62 kmpl mileage.
Admittedly, there are enough negative points to prevent an informed buyer from going anywhere near it, but Nissan seems to be starting a cut throat pricing war with their Datsun GO+.

I dont think this will eat away any considerable market share from the Bolt, but surely would be something that TML would sit up and take notice of.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:20   #210
BHPian

Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Quote:
7-seater, 3.80 - 4.61L ex-Delhi, 20.62 kmpl mileage.

Admittedly, there are enough negative points to prevent an informed buyer from going anywhere near it, but Nissan seems to be starting a cut throat pricing war with their Datsun GO+.

I dont think this will eat away any considerable market share from the Bolt, but surely would be something that TML would sit up and take notice of.

I seriously hope no manufacturer sits up and note the details about a contraption as flimsy as the GO and GO+. If they do, that would be bad news for customers. I don't want to be driving or driven around in that piece of feather light metal box. Datsun may be on a price war, but with who ? The war is just on us customers. They are saying "we will put you in a tin box and kill you at the smallest of crashes. Can you accept our challenge ?" Don't bring GO into Bolt discussion or any other car discussion for that matter. It would be an insult to better cars and it is then that manufacturers will actually sit up and take a note of it.

I haven't seen the Bolt in flesh, but looking at the pics, i am sure at least 80% of the car buying population will point out that it is another version of Vista. Whether it is good or bad remains to be seen. Cannot comment anything until the prices have been announced. As of now, the Zest looks more attractive to the buyers mainly because it is a CS which our country is crazy about and because it hides the Indica shape to an extent. And the execution has also resulted in a bench mark interior and exterior.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 16th January 2015 at 18:25.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed