Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2015, 15:12   #211
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

I think neither Tata nor Datsun (nor most customers) would see the Bolt and Go+ as direct competitors, even if there is a small price overlap.

The closest direct competitor of the Go+ has to be the Eeco (passenger version). As for the Bolt, it depends on the pricing.

Tata can price it to take on either the bunch of cars competing in the lower to mid range price spectrum of the B2 segment, or the premium B2 hatches. Going by the Zest's pricing, I guess it will be the former.

Tata had always pitted the Vista against the Swift. They would be inclined to do the same this time as well (in terms of positioning), but likely undercut the Swift in terms of pricing by a similar percentage as the Zest-Dzire difference.
Old 21st January 2015, 21:02   #212
BHPian

Tata Bolt spotted with sporty body kit, probably official body kit.

Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-tataboltbodykitfrontthreequarter.jpg

Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-tataboltbodykitrearthreequarter.jpg

I wish Tata had provided an enthusiastic petrol engine as an option too, since they're trying to project it as a 'Sporty' car. Fiat should let at least Tata use their TJet engine since they aren't in any mood to launch it in Punto. Yes, the Bolt isn't a sporty handler like Punto, but the good straight line stability and the neutral handling should be good enough to enjoy the engine.

IMG source: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/01/t...erships-165336

Last edited by theredliner : 21st January 2015 at 21:07.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 00:48   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

Attachment 1331217

Attachment 1331218

I wish Tata had provided an enthusiastic petrol engine as an option too, since they're trying to project it as a 'Sporty' car. Fiat should let at least Tata use their TJet engine since they aren't in any mood to launch it in Punto. Yes, the Bolt isn't a sporty handler like Punto, but the good straight line stability and the neutral handling should be good enough to enjoy the engine.
I like the way you think buddy. But in our budget sensitive market, Bolt's Revotron is the most powerful at 90ps and 140Nm torque.
Old 22nd January 2015, 03:37   #214
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1331217

Attachment 1331218

IMG source: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/01/t...erships-165336
Looks killer and very upmarket. Much better than the ones that were offered on the VistaD90. Infact its even better fit than on the Zest. I am just waiting to get rid of my Liva for this, but not before waiting for a few Bolt/Zest long term ownership reviews.
Old 22nd January 2015, 06:18   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
theredliner : Tata Bolt spotted with sporty body kit, probably official body kit...
Would be really good if TML just made the kit as the standard fitment.

Quote:
theredliner : .. the good straight line stability and the neutral handling should be good enough to enjoy the engine.
If sportiness means a hard suspension to take care of rough driving, then stability & neutral handling are more desirable for normal users.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:34   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I like the way you think buddy. But in our budget sensitive market, Bolt's Revotron is the most powerful at 90ps and 140Nm torque.
Yes. Tata have studied the mass market very well and tuned the engine to offer low end drive-ability and fuel efficiency, the things that an average buyer appreciates and it reflects well in the Petrol : Diesel shares of Zest. However, it'd have been great(wishing as an enthusiast) if Tata had developed a performance variant of the engine as well, which was tuned to make all that torque offer a mid range punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Looks killer and very upmarket. Much better than the ones that were offered on the VistaD90. Infact its even better fit than on the Zest. I am just waiting to get rid of my Liva for this, but not before waiting for a few Bolt/Zest long term ownership reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Would be really good if TML just made the kit as the standard fitment.

If sportiness means a hard suspension to take care of rough driving, then stability & neutral handling are more desirable for normal users.
Agree with the suspension part. If you go through my post carefully, you can see that I'm not complaining about the suspension at all(in fact, not complaining about anything). I'm only wishing for a performance oriented petrol engine.

Last edited by theredliner : 22nd January 2015 at 11:35.
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:20   #217
BHPian

No buzz on this thread on the launch day?

Just in: introductory prices: 4.4 lacs to 6.05 lacs for petrol and 5.49 to 6.99 for diesel ex-showroom Delhi

Last edited by avingodb : 22nd January 2015 at 12:29. Reason: added price for diesel models
avingodb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:26   #218
Senior - BHPian

Tata has launched the Bolt in India starting at Rs 4.4 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) for the petrol variant, while the diesel variant starts at Rs 5.49 lakh.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-392906.aspx

Nice price i guess. Awaiting further details.

Edit :

Prices:

Petrol
XE - Rs 4.44 lakh
XM - Rs 5.15 lakh
XMS - Rs 5.40 lakh
XT - Rs 6.05 lakh

Diesel
XE - Rs 5.49 lakh
XM - Rs 6.11 lakh
XMS - Rs 6.34 lakh
XT - Rs 6.99 lakh

(all prices, ex-showroom, Delhi)

Last edited by aniketi : 22nd January 2015 at 12:35.
aniketi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:30   #219
BHPian

Price details of Bolt, with Delhi ESP of Swift as a comparo

BOLT
Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-bolt.jpg

SWIFT
Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-swift.png

Horrendous pricing. Only 6k difference between ZXI and XT Revotron. Talking of shooting themselves in the foot

PS OTR of Bolt XT Diesel in BLR comes to 8.7L. They conveniently swallowed the money saved using inferior 75PS FGT engine.

Last edited by theredliner : 22nd January 2015 at 12:32.
theredliner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:51   #220
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How the pricing is, relative to its competitors. Thanks to Aditya for compiling this sheet:

Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-tata-bolt-prices.png
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:52   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Price details of Bolt, with Delhi ESP of Swift as a comparo

BOLT
Attachment 1331375

SWIFT
Attachment 1331374

Horrendous pricing. Only 6k difference between ZXI and XT Revotron. Talking of shooting themselves in the foot

PS OTR of Bolt XT Diesel in BLR comes to 8.7L. They conveniently swallowed the money saved using inferior 75PS FGT engine.
Following are the features listed on the brochure of Bolt. I think in terms of features and space it beats Swift hands down. This kind of justifies the 6k price difference. Also, look at it with a difference lens. Maruti sells over 20k Swift every month while by all possibilities Tata will sell about 5k Bolt every month. Yet Tata is able to offer a feature packed Bolt at 6k less than Maruti. Should'nt Swift cost less given the economies of scale it enjoys?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-bolt-brochure-1.png  

Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-bolt-brochure-2.png  

damager21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:57   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How the pricing is, relative to its competitors. Thanks to Aditya for compiling this sheet:
Thanks Aditya for the comparison.

Would it be possible to add 1.) Ritz and 2.)Figo in this camparo?
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:05   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Following are the features listed on the brochure of Bolt. I think in terms of features and space it beats Swift hands down. This kind of justifies the 6k price difference. Also, look at it with a difference lens. Maruti sells over 20k Swift every month while by all possibilities Tata will sell about 5k Bolt every month. Yet Tata is able to offer a feature packed Bolt at 6k less than Maruti. Should'nt Swift cost less given the economies of scale it enjoys?
I wholeheartedly agree that Swift should cost less. I have told in the past that Swift is overpriced, esp in Z trims.

Now, coming to Bolt, yes, it is a feature rich car, but we also have to take into account the reliabilities of Bolt and Swift with Swift having established the reputation of being an extremely reliable car. Tata's image and reliability factor is pretty bad. Tata expecting top seller's prices without proving itself first is suicidal IMO.
Now consider the Grand i10. It is a feature rich car with excellent quality and a nice petrol engine. Hyundai has good brand and reliability image. Yet, it is considerably cheaper than Bolt.

Tata Bolt quadrajet being more expensive than Punto 75 Multijet Emotion is also something that's hard to digest.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:11   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Following are the features listed on the brochure of Bolt. I think in terms of features and space it beats Swift hands down. This kind of justifies the 6k price difference.
all though i personally agree with you.
Most of the buyers looking at the swift, MAY get swayed to only test drive the bolt , will appreciate it for what it has to offer, but ultimately play it safe and buy the swift/i10 grand/ Ei20 etc.
Having said that & having test driven the bolt for good 20-25 minute & having driven a swift for 3+ years, i would any day go for the Bolt over the swift, had i been in the market looking for a hatch.
But with masses TATAs simply dont have that connection/confidence yet (although they seem to slowly getting there.. )
Quote:
Also, look at it with a difference lens. Maruti sells over 20k Swift every month while by all possibilities Tata will sell about 5k Bolt every month. Yet Tata is able to offer a feature packed Bolt at 6k less than Maruti. Shouldn't Swift cost less given the economies of scale it enjoys?
Economies of scale alright, however given that swift is a grand success,
MSIL has a huge appetite for profit margin whereas TATAs are wanting to reestablish in this segment so the profit appetite cannot be as liberal.

Quote:
Tata will sell about 5k Bolt every month
Highly optimistic figure that, IMO.
I assume it will average out to 2-3000 a month in the near short term.
I wish your prediction is true. It will be interesting to watch this in the coming months.
madhu33 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:19   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting a feeling of the Bolt being overpriced. Tata is unfortunately not a player having too much of a goodwill for its passenger cars. They should have gone for killer pricing rather than competitive pricing; just like they did with Zest. However, Tata finds itself in a double edged sword situation. If they price it high, then there will not be many takers given the competitive and established cars in the segment, where as if they price it low, they may again be perceived as a cheap brand which is something they will not like given that they want to position the Bolt in the premium hatchback segment.

And just my 2 cents on the discussion over Swift's pricing: Mostly, cars are never priced based on the manufacturing cost. They are priced based on the positioning of the model. Hence, I don't think that Swift should be cheaper just because Bolt is high on the features. But yes, some buyers may find Bolt more value for money compared to the Swift.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd January 2015 at 13:49. Reason: typo
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed