Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:41   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

They already received 50000 bookings for BOLT as per moneycontrol and business today.

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd January 2015 at 13:44.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:41   #227
BHPian

Looking at the pricing the entry level XE trim looks a bit to close to the Swift with not many extra features. However, in the mid trims with an ABS and a Harman system the Bolt looks like good value for money.
nikhil_d1106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:43   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How the pricing is, relative to its competitors
Is this price list comparison reflect the new prices ( excess duty hike ) for other cars in the attachment ?

If that's the case, I still find Grand i10 Asta (o) for both petrol and diesel to be excellent value for money.
Grand Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:49   #229
BHPian

Swift will often have 20-30 k worth of offers, whereas Bolt will probably not since it is a new launch. So whatever price difference exists might even out and the final OTR could be roughly the same.

Nevertheless, I think the Bolt at the current price is VFM and priced well by Tata. People with herd mentality will go for the Swift even if Tata prices the Bolt at 50k less or sells it at a loss.
chncar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:50   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
But with masses TATAs simply dont have that connection/confidence yet (although they seem to slowly getting there.. )

Economies of scale alright, however given that swift is a grand success,
MSIL has a huge appetite for profit margin whereas TATAs are wanting to reestablish in this segment so the profit appetite cannot be as liberal.
This is exactly what I wanted to say.

Let me consider Grand i10's example here. When someone like Hyundai, who is a consistent runner up in the market with good brand image, reliability, service and best in class quality launch their product by undercutting the competitor from Maruti's stable, it is a bad move by Tata to price considerably more than Grand and close to Swift.

Pricing would have been good if it was close to Grand i10's. Anything lesser could have been considered aggressive. I was expecting that to happen too seeing Zest undercutting Xcent's pricing.

I'm not a Tata basher, but I feel they're letting go of the golden chance they had by focusing on short term profits instead of long term goal of re-establishment. What I feel is that, it is Tata who needs to walk that extra mile to establish themselves back in the game, not the customer.

Last edited by theredliner : 22nd January 2015 at 13:53.
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:54   #231
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to add just one thing with regards to comparing the Bolt and Swift. And that is, the Z_i variants of the Swift (after the facelift) happen to be quite well-loaded in terms of features. They even get a few additional features over the Bolt - rear parking sensors, electrically retractable ORVMs and true keyless entry with push button start-stop are a few that come to mind instantly. In comparison, the Bolt gets a better Harman ICE with more inbuilt features such as navigation, voice controls etc. With a similar pricing for the top variants, it's upto personal preferences - very useful driver convenience features vs. additional ICE features.

It's the lower variants of the Swift that aren't as well-loaded as the Bolt's lower variants. The V_i variants lose out to the XMS in particular.

Last edited by RSR : 22nd January 2015 at 14:00.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:54   #232
BHPian

Fully agree that the Bolt is overpriced for a new entrant from Tata.
Perhaps the success of the Zest was more than they had expected, which led them to believe that they can price the Bolt closer to the Swift and taste similar success.

The Zest ate into the sales of the Amaze over the past few months, but I can't see how the Bolt can manage to do the same to any of it's competitors at this price range.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:01   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
They already received 50000 bookings for BOLT as per moneycontrol and business today.
That's a shock to me & will be a pleasent shock Tata Motors as well, hope this is not a typo.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:02   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I think, that's 50000 enquiries and not bookings; remember reading in one of the Auto journo's tweets.

Pricing is competitive, IMO. As with the Zest, it is the XMS variant that comes across as a very VFM offering. It will all depend on how many people can TM lure into their showrooms for a test drive.

Last edited by safari_lover : 22nd January 2015 at 14:09.
safari_lover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:07   #235
Senior - BHPian

Even I believe TATA Motors have messed it up with the pricing this time. I agree that the mid variants of BOLT are better loaded in comparison to that of SWIFT, but Swift is a reliable brand name altogether while TATA is still struggling to be one. Considering the above point, I don't think a regular customer will pay heed to the features on offer and will rather focus on a stress-free ownership experience.

On the other hand, the Grand i10 comes out as the most VFM product in this price range.

If I was in the market, I would rather wait and save 1 Lac, and go for the VW Polo.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:14   #236
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first to predict this - a lot of potential customers who go to Tata showrooms to check out the Bolt may end up buying the Zest instead, considering the (relatively) very small price difference between the two. The Zest gets additional features as well, not to mention a more powerful version of the Quadrajet engine in the mid and top variants!

So while the sales numbers for the Bolt may prove to be disappointing for Tata, the Zest is going to see a surge in sales after the launch of the Bolt!

Last edited by RSR : 22nd January 2015 at 15:20.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:17   #237
BHPian

The pricing of Bolt has left me little amused. The first thing that struck my mind was not to compare the price with Swift, Grand I10, Figo etc but with it's own elder sibling i.e. the Zest. Below is short comparison of the same.

If not all then at least some variants of Bolt & Zest are priced dangerously close to each other. I have also added price comparison of Swift & Dzire to make my point relevant.
Attached Images

MadAbtCars is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:22   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
The pricing of Bolt has left me little amused. The first thing that struck my mind was not to compare the price with Swift, Grand I10, Figo etc but with it's own elder sibling i.e. the Zest. Below is short comparison of the same.

If not all then at least some variants of Bolt & Zest are priced dangerously close to each other. I have also added price comparison of Swift & Dzire to make my point relevant.
If my understanding is correct, the gap between Swift and Dzire will increase further once the Dzire facelift with the additional features of updated Swift hits the market.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:18   #239
Senior - BHPian

Here is the new BOLT commercial.

Ma...mma...ma...multidrive..

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd January 2015 at 16:30.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:15   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Swift will often have 20-30 k worth of offers, whereas Bolt will probably not since it is a new launch. So whatever price difference exists might even out and the final OTR could be roughly the same.

Nevertheless, I think the Bolt at the current price is VFM and priced well by Tata. People with herd mentality will go for the Swift even if Tata prices the Bolt at 50k less or sells it at a loss.
Swift is probably the only car in the MSIL line up that get almost nil offers except those end of the quarter 10K discount. At least in BLR I have never seen any offers. I have been halfheartedly behind the ZXI for 2-3 months now.

I hope Tata starts off with some discounts and exchange offers right from the word go, else if they decide to give discounts later public perception will be hit, like the Aria story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
This is exactly what I wanted to say.

Let me consider Grand i10's example here. When someone like Hyundai, who is a consistent runner up in the market with good brand image, reliability, service and best in class quality launch their product by undercutting the competitor from Maruti's stable, it is a bad move by Tata to price considerably more than Grand and close to Swift.

Pricing would have been good if it was close to Grand i10's. Anything lesser could have been considered aggressive. I was expecting that to happen too seeing Zest undercutting Xcent's pricing.
What worries me is not the comparo with G-i10 or swift rather, its own bigger sibling. the price difference with the Zest is too less to justify the missing features and spec. Lower spec engine, no LEDs, No DRLs, No boot still only 20K price drop ? I still wouldn't say its overpriced, but pricing it on par with Swift was a lil too much guts. This way a Revotron XT AMT if available later will be costlier than a E-i20 Asta petrol ? Lets wait for the sales numbers.

Most Viewed