Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 15:05   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Your location shows Madurai! you need not just 1 rear ac vent but two on rear doors+roof too in summer
Haha yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
First of all, Congratulations on the Zest! Wishing you happy ownership right away.
Thanks a bunch mate. Ownership review already on the cards.

Quote:
1. Rear AC - have you experienced Vista (Or any other TML car really...)? At any setting cooler than 50% AC, it is a chiller anywhere in the cabin. So the rear AC really would serve the purpose of "status" and not actual utility due to need. Instead it would probably eat into rear foot well space. You don't need a rear AC vent in a Tata hatch. Trust me.
Agreed. But in my city, trust me. It's just scorching.

Quote:
2. I don't think this needs rear parking sensors. Like Vista it will be easy to park.
We owned the QJD Vista until we recently sold it for the Zest. And +1 to you since its so easy to park it. But I have always felt a bit uneasy when parking tight. And precisely my reason for a parking sensor.

Quote:
3. LEDs, Angel rings - leave something for a midlife refresh mate .
Midlife refresh, yeah . Just what a Hyundai car would do.

Quote:
Also, some things must be omitted. Will people (like you) buy the Zest only for a slightly larger boot when everything else is same in the Bolt? No. The segment has to remain lower than Zest.
Maybe comparing the Bolt with the Zest is difficult for me, as it should have been the other way. If Bolt had released first, it would have been the other way around. But I totally agree with the Zest being launched at first.
karzzexped is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 15:31   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to the review, these are my views & though I agree that Tata has come a long way since the early 2000's design of Indica/Indigo & boxy shape of Manza, they haven't yet caught up with the competition in terms of fit, finish and materials.

Honestly there is no question that Elite i20 is the king of the segment in terms of fit & finish, consistent lines and how the interiors are put together. Majority say VW Polo but to me having sat in both cars, Ei20 seems like it is modelled on the lines of cars 2 segments higher. Olefin grade thermoplastic is used in strategic areas in the i20 which has softer yet sophisticated textures, yet resistant to scratches, impact and fading due to use of base resin & filler. Everything from the seat design to how the door shuts have been stamped with sophistication. The i20 surely is on par with Polo structurally & even Europeans are singing praises about it before launch.

Having sat in the Zest for 2 mins, I didn't get that plush feeling I did by sitting in an i20. This is when I wondered why did not Tata, change the entire body panel shape and design for the Zest & Bolt much like Hyundai did jumping from Getz->i20->Ei20. Instead these 2 cars look almost 70% like their old avatars. Design wise the Bolt could've done with a little more simplicity & practicality. The car could've had a bigger boot with 20-30 more litres to come closer to Grand i10. The C pillar blackening with patterns was unnecessary as it seems to ruin the flow of body lines. The rear looks too roundish unlike the more well proportioned Zest. The gear shifter also seems a bit atavistic

Now as I said in the beginning, this company has taken a big stride towards the right side. A well priced turbo petrol, tuned for city driving & practical sitting space is what most would want. There is enough tech for those who want bragging rights with the touchscreen interface and driving mode options. The body seems to have been built great but visibly though it would take more than a couple of facelifts to compete with the foreign market.

Last edited by dark.knight : 10th December 2014 at 15:57.
Old 10th December 2014, 16:43   #33
BHPian

Perfect review as always. Thanks Aditya and Rehaan for the wonderful write up and detailed review.
TATA has finally come up with a good product (Zest and Bolt). I hope that they improve on other aspects and I expect to see more Zests and Bolts on roads soon
Old 10th December 2014, 17:26   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4. Either the photo is not taken at the right angle, or the faux leather lining above the steering is not present in the Bolt. I'm not able to see it.
Sorry my bad on that photo. It doesn't show it well, but it was there

Quote:
7. Does it have rear 12V power socket? Vista had it.
Nope, it doesn't.

Quote:
10. The review mentions 30 mm more wheelbase at one place & says identical to Vista at other...
The review says it's the same wheelbase as the Vista & Zest, and 30 mm more overall length than the Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
With the Harman smartlink app is it possible to mirror any App on the HU or will only Navimaps work?
Only NaviMaps at the moment, and do note that its not really screen mirroring, though it may seem like it. Read on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a question. As per my understanding smartlink is a screen mirroring app. This means, if I am not using navimaps, but something else, even that should be mirrored on the screen? Right.
Did you try smartlink without navimaps
SmartLink is not screen mirroring. It seems to be a service that runs in the background, and if your phone is connected to the Bolt via USB and you open NaviMaps, it fires up the connection (a chime is heard on the infotainment).

Do note that when you zoom on the infotainment, it does affect the display on the phone screen (if the map program is open), but when you zoom and pan around on the phone, the car's display stays fixed on route guidance. This is quite awesome if you want to follow the guideance, but you want your co-passenger to look several kilometers ahead and pick a place to turn / stop etc.

If my memory serves me right, I'm fairly sure you can use other apps on the phone without the navigation on the Bolt's screen being disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Halogen Projectors are also offered on the Maruti Stingray!
Thanks for bringing this up! Will let Aditya/GTO reply to this.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th December 2014 at 17:28.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 17:45   #35
BHPian

Had a chance to witness one live. (Can't disclose where)

STUNNING in Red. Beautiful.

So much youth and energy. Felt nice. Clean. The paint quality and shade of red is really stuck and made my heart skip a beat.

Would have loved DRL's - would make it menacing.
(number plate lights are WHITE - look lovely on the road. Makes the car stand out amongst others. White usually reserved for after-market mods or expensive cars. Nice touch)

Comfort and space - are standard Tata features but extremely welcome over other cramped competitors.

Lot of segment firsts. Significant improvement in quality at many levels. Hats off to Tata for a well thought product.

I missed 4 things:

1. DRL (maybe in future special edition)
2. Handle on the boot to open it
3. More storage spaces (maybe small roof mounted bits like aria or minimal change in door pad design in the future) - It doesn't really need a rear AC vent - but adding that would solve 4 things: 1. Driver armrest + storage space. 2. Cup holders for rear 3. Charging port for rear & 4. Definitely add to equipment list. (Maybe can be added in a special edition)
4. Mirrors - auto closing or electronically folding.

I am sure AMT will make it it's way sooner or later. Would be really foolish if they miss on that.

Tata definitely need to improve on their sales front some more.

I have got very good response from the sales team from Concorde, Prabhadevi, Mumbai for the new Nano & the Zest. Providing test drives etc. follow up calls. Showroom superb too.
But their person in charge of 'evaluation' for my Manza & Nana - never shows up. Repeated calls and missed appointments.

Service - steadily improving in many aspects. Especially Concorde Worli. Some other Tata owners I know reported Wasan improving minimally too.
Follow up calls, service times significantly improved. Cost - as always is one of the best factors with a Tata - especially if you make the wise investment of a Gold AMC.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 18:00   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The running tires are 175/65 R15. The spare is 175/65 R14? Or is it 175/85 R14? I'm not able to clearly read the marking on both places on the spare wheel but seems like 65 in both markings. (May well be due to the quality of my laptop screen).
Old 10th December 2014, 18:18   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The spare is 175/65 R14? Or is it 175/85 R14?
The spare is 175/65 R14.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 18:24   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The spare is 175/65 R14.

cya
R
Thought so!

But then, is 175/65 R15 the same diameter as 175/65 R14? Won't the R15 wheel be larger in total diameter with tyre compared to the spare?
Old 10th December 2014, 19:14   #39
BHPian

Excellent review Adithya and Rehaan! Rated a well deserved 5*.

What a make over for Tata! Hope the Bolt will continue the legacy created by the Zest.
Old 10th December 2014, 19:18   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the exhaustive review.

Surprising why the AMT is being delayed - MSIL apparently does not face the same supply issues of AMT kits given that they are launching more models with the AMT or do they have an arrangement for a larger chunk of the pie.
Old 10th December 2014, 19:20   #41
BHPian

Super duper review like always . I hope the Bolt and Zest toghther bring Tata motors back in game before the new generation vehicles like nexon come .
Great review and great effort from Tata motors.
Old 10th December 2014, 19:58   #42
BHPian

Thanks for the great review. I have mixed feelings about the Bolt. I think TATA did not do enough on the exterior design to really make this car stand out. Maybe it looks better in person but it looks only like a facelift job over the Vista, especially front and sides. I don't like that decade old smiling-face front looks at all and the rear tail lights look a bit like those of Celerio, alto - nothing premium. Come on tata you could have tried something different in designing after all these years.

Interior look fantastic and no complaints here, good roomy car. Revotron looks like a good engine too for most situations. Proud of tata for this in-house engine. However fuel efficiency from this engine will be a thing to watch out for.

I am little disappointed to read that ride quality of this car is not plush. Considering our poor roads, tata should have concentrated on achieving greater ride comfort. How does the ride quality compare to cars like Punto, Polo, Swift?

All in all, I don't think Bolt revotron will set the sales charts on fire. I wish it does though.
Old 10th December 2014, 20:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review, guys. The attention to detail is incredible. Kudos..

It looks like TaMo has got all the bases covered except for one - the silhouette. It remains to be seen if the market will look beyond that. I, for one, will have no qualms in replacing my parents' Vista with the Bolt.
Old 10th December 2014, 20:52   #44
BHPian

Excellent Review.

Car looks awesome in red.

What was the mileage coming up in all modes during the drive. Just thinking is it fine to shift from Vista D to Bolt Revotron.

A source at concorde motors mentioned that the price will 50-60k lower than Zest for starters.

If that is true, then we are seeing a top end pricing within 5.5lacs. Include insurance, registration and you have a good car at a killer price.
Old 10th December 2014, 21:06   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Aditya, Rehaan,
Gentlemen this review is simply outstanding in its level of detail and thoroughness. Had to rate it a '5' as there was no button for a '6'. Congratulations to both of you. I hope Tata succeed with the Bolt & the Zest. Tata's could take on Maruti if they put their minds to it. - V.Narayan

Most Viewed