Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2014, 13:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if I missed but is there any major changes to the suspension set up ? I can see Tata have not worked on the turning radius which was high In the Vista by hatch back standards. The Goodyear tyres in the Vista were also not of great quality, they seemed to have continued with the same brand. I think Tata motors will now aggressively market the Vista to the taxi segment pitted against the Liva although I feel they should just discontinue it.
Old 14th December 2014, 13:43   #107
BHPian

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
A lesser premium hatchback, if you will.

But definately, a premium hatch. No doubts about that. Where do the run of the mill WagonRs sit, then?

And sir, did you ever know that a Hyundai Grand i20 existed? In your post, apparently it does.
Sorry that's a typo I meant "Grand i10" surely.

What I meant was that its unfair comparing the Bolt to an Elite i20 (premium) rather than an Grand i10 (lesser Premium if you will )

TATAs entry level hatch is the Nano. Between the Nano and Bolt lies the Indica which is believed to be replaced by the Kite Hatch.
Which will compete against the "run of the mill Wagon R's"

And we will fall short of categories to classify the hatches on sale by MS (Alto 800, Alto K10, Wagon R, Stingray, Celerio, Ritz, Swift, YRA Hatch)
not counting the discontinued Estilo and Astar.

There are reports of an all new Premium hatch from Tata , for eg;

http://www.drivespark.com/four-wheel...uv-007616.html

In short, Bolt is a fine effort when compared to the right competition. It offers quite a lot for the segment it belongs to and has a lot going its way. ("Definately" )
Old 15th December 2014, 11:31   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I think Tata motors will now aggressively market the Vista to the taxi segment pitted against the Liva although I feel they should just discontinue it.
I have a feeling Tata will eventually discontinue Vista and Manza and come out of its manufacturing arrangement with Fiat India. Tata will continue to source Engines from Fiat and AMT kits from Fiat Subsidiary Magneti Marelli, but manufacturing will be done in its plants in Pune and Sanand. Tata is loosing money in Fiat India, the earlier they come out of this JV, better for the bottom line of TML, i suspect that is the reason TML don't have any plans to introduce a face-lifted Manza in the future.

Last edited by teamveevee : 15th December 2014 at 11:33.
Old 15th December 2014, 11:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Why? Vista a ready made and proven success for the cab role.

The Vista didn't lack any bells and whistles. It was overloaded with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Why? The Vista is an excellent package for cabbies. It's much better than Micra!
My recent Ola ride was in a brand new Vista and the driver was so excited. It costed him 5.8 lacs on road in Bangalore.
@Reinhard and Balajisv - totally agree that for cabbies, Vista do make sense and may be Tata can do a 'dzire tour' with Vista. When I said I hope Vista will be discontinued, I was thinking about Vista for private purchase. If the pricing of Zest is anything to go by, I think Tata will price Bolt competitively, so I do not see many private owners favoring Vista over Bolt (if the price gap is less). One other possibility is to discontinue Tata Indica and do a price revision for Vista to price it in par with the Indica range, aimed at Taxi market.

@Reinhard: Take a look at the spec sheet of Top end Vista and Top end Bolt and can you really say that Vista do not miss any bells and whistles? What about the HK touchscreen audio system, projector lights, superb instrument console (not sure of Vista have the same MID as the Bolt, so no comments on that) and what about the quality of the interiors?
I will give Vista full points for what it really is (that is why I am a proud owner of a Vista for last 5 years) but personally I feel Bolt is a HUGE step up from vista.

--Anoop
Old 15th December 2014, 12:10   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@Reinhard: Take a look at the spec sheet of Top end Vista and Top end Bolt and can you really say that Vista do not miss any bells and whistles? What about the HK touchscreen audio system, projector lights, superb instrument console (not sure of Vista have the same MID as the Bolt, so no comments on that) and what about the quality of the interiors?
I will give Vista full points for what it really is (that is why I am a proud owner of a Vista for last 5 years) but personally I feel Bolt is a HUGE step up from vista.

--Anoop
I'm comparing the Vista with the available hatchbacks in the market, not the BOLT. Since 2010/11, Vista has -

1. Steering mounted audio and phone controls. This is from LX trim onwards.
2. Sufficiently good Blaupunkt ICE with 4 speakers + 2 tweeters with bluetooth that supports phone (upto 5) and audio streaming. This is from LX trim as well.
3. Electrically operated AND HEATED mirrors
4. ABS with EBD - VX onwards.
5. Airbags - available in ZX, which was discontinued recently - because our people don't want to buy it.
6. Double barrel headlamps, fog lamps
7. illuminated key ring
8. 7 speed wiper
9. Remote central locking - WITH speed sensing auto door locks
10. Rear wiper and washer
11. Rear de-mister
12. 60-40 split full flat folding rear seat
13. Fabric + cushioned door trim inserts
14. Illuminated power window controls
15. Height adjustable driver's seat
16. Tilt steering
17. Rear 12V socket (Bolt lacks this now )

I got all this for Less than 5.5 Lakhs on road without a single rupee of discount.
If you still say the Vista has no bells and whistles - I'd like to see which cars gave all this at the asking price within the segment.

Quality - I faced absolutely no quality issues. It is certainly on par with competition, excluding the i20.

I've owned it for more than 4 years now and driven on bad-worst-non existent roads for ~43k kms -
ZERO rattles till date.
Paint job is top notch.
ZERO rust anywhere
Superb quality rubber beading and rubber dampers
No electric gizmos have failed till now. Well nothing has failed.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th December 2014 at 12:13.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:45   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm comparing the Vista with the available hatchbacks in the market, not the BOLT. Since 2010/11, Vista has -
This is the root cause of the confusion - in all my posts, I am comparing Vista with Bolt, not with other hatches available in the market. Peace.

Quote:
Quality - I faced absolutely no quality issues. It is certainly on par with competition, excluding the i20.

I've owned it for more than 4 years now and driven on bad-worst-non existent roads for ~43k kms -
ZERO rattles till date.
Paint job is top notch.
ZERO rust anywhere
I can understand this totally - my car have 60K plus on ODO and have been doing duty on worse and non existent interior roads for most of the time and the ONLY thing rattle in my car is the toy car I have kept on the dash board

Haven't faced any issues till date (touch-wood) and the car does the duty with out any drama.

I will give you that no plastics have fallen off, nothing have conked off and the interiors still feel solid, but it certainly lacks the FEEL of the interiors of i20\Polo\Swift mainly because the materials used in other cars feels more premium. So, I would say the durability of the interior is up to the mark but feels less premium.

I have three hatchbacks (Vista, Punto and Santro) and I drive another hatch (i10) regularly but personally, I feel the interiors of the i10 (the old generation, before the face lift) and that of my Punto feels richer\more upmarket than the same of my Vista. This is not about the quality, but about the FEEL you get when you slide in to your driver seat and I understand that this feel is a personal measure and will be different for different individuals.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:50   #112
BHPian

Quote:

I too vouch for the overall quality of the car and the amount of abuse it can take. I have owned the first-gen Vista for 4 years and 75k kms. Have taken it to multiple highway rides with all sorts of roads with maximum possible load (8 people once).

I have owned Amaze for 1+ years and I dare not abuse this car half of what I did with Vista. I would anyday buy a Tata car for its reliability as a product.
AmazeGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 13:33   #113
BHPian

The Zest is a big improvement over the Manza (its predecessor). How well does the Bolt score over the Vista?

Moreover, I think I read (and please do correct me if I am wrong) that the original design for this Dolphin project started with the sedan version which was then reworked for a hatchback version, instead of being the usual other way round. Why then does the Bolt rear have panel gaps for the Christmas tree light which has to be filled up by black panels? How much of the old Visa/Manza platform is retained in this new product line?

Last edited by amitayu : 15th December 2014 at 13:35.
Old 15th December 2014, 13:39   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
The Zest is a big improvement over the Manza (its predecessor). How well does the Bolt score over the Vista?

Moreover, I think I read (and please do correct me if I am wrong) that the original design for this Dolphin project started with the sedan version which was then reworked for a hatchback version, instead of being the usual other way round. Why then does the Bolt rear have panel gaps for the Christmas tree light which has to be filled up by black panels? How much of the old Visa/Manza platform is retained in this new product line?
Been discussed a lot already. You can surf through some previous pages of this thread as well as the other one in Indian Car Scene section about the Bolt.
Old 15th December 2014, 14:47   #115
BHPian

Quote:

ZERO rattles till date.
Paint job is top notch.
ZERO rust anywhere
My friend, I have always said that Tata provides a Honest Car at a Honest price! I have never ever understood why people crib about Tata. Eventually I, feel it is the snob factor which makes us Indian's look down on our own!

I have had 7 years and 160K drive experience and never any complaints.

Secondly the much complained about service, never understood this either. When I sold the Tata Indica the total cost of service after 125K of running was ridiculously low and this after changing a battery, changing tyres and the mandatory fuel pump service. Today after doing 35K of running my Club Class Manza is a delight and no complaints.

Compare that to my MD who brought a Vento. He today says it's the biggest mistake of his life and he has spent over 100K after 2 years. Tells you who gets ripped off.

People who complain about Tata, most of them have had no drive experience or for that matter have never owned a Tata car and yet love to add to the noise being created about Tata.

The Manza and Vista are car's which have been very reliable. People who complain about the problems they have faced should look at the cost that they have had to incur over the 3 - 5 years that they have owned a Tata car and then compare on the long run cost with any other car of it's class.

Thankfully, I, do have a mind of my own and don't go by Mob philosophy which can create havoc.

Check the review out and you see quality issue being highlighted.. and pray for what ?A PLASTIC ITEM which makes no impact on the car running!

That my friend summons up the situation!

Good for you to stand up for Tata!

Cheers!

Drive Safe, Be Safe!
shashi63 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 14:52   #116
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
My friend, I have always said that Tata provides a Honest Car at a Honest price! I have never ever understood why people crib about Tata. Eventually I, feel it is the snob factor which makes us Indian's look down on our own!

I have had 7 years and 160K drive experience and never any complaints.
==========
That my friend summons up the situation!

Good for you to stand up for Tata!

I had used my Indica Vista Qjet Aura model October 2008, first batch for 5.5 years. Milage when sold was 92K. it has taken across several states, never broke down on the highway or in city. sold for 2.7 lakhs and bought ARIA Pure LX. Because it meets my requirements and i too dont go by mob mentality.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th December 2014 at 09:41. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
rkg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 22:29   #117
BHPian

Thanks for the superb review, for which I was eagerly waiting.

Tata claimed (as in review) that all panels are new compared to Vista. This may be technically correct, but not practically true. Otherwise there is no need to have black inserts for the rear lights (chrismas lights) that have been removed.

One of the comments on the review says BOLT has few things less than ZEST. Would be eager to look at a comparison list.

Couldn't believe Tata didn't put a proper bottle holding place in door pocket. This is definitely not for cost cutting as the savings are negligible. Perhaps they were omitted as there are alternate places (drawer below front seat, bottle holder near the stick shift, sizy glove box and parcel tray).

Also noted with concern that the noise is higher than ZEST and turning radius is 5.1m.

I heard from earlier Indica owners that the Tata engine develops strange noises after 10k km. As Revotron is based on Indica engine I am a bit apprehensive but I hope issues like these are sorted out.
Old 16th December 2014, 06:55   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
I heard from earlier Indica owners that the Tata engine develops strange noises after 10k km. As Revotron is based on Indica engine I am a bit apprehensive but I hope issues like these are sorted out.
The engines of the Indica and the Zest and Bolt are completely different!

I owned an Indica and drove it for 125000 kms. No sound or strange sound emitted from it and after 5 years I got 1.65 lakhs when I sold it.

So, my point as I indicated in a post earlier, don't go by rumours and add to gossip. Buy a Tata car and you will get more than every penny spent!
shashi63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 09:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

I sincerely hope Vista will be discontinued once Bold hits the shelf. Vista had the framework to become a good family hatch but lacked the bells and whistles - Bolt have the framework and the bells and whistles, which makes it a complete package.

--Anoop
Can you please look at the Vista top trim and Bolt and confirm what Vista is missing as against Bolt?

There are no lack of features barring the touch screen in the diesel trim, while for petrol on can say that the new petrol engine is with turbo. That's the only broad difference.

Cheers !
Old 16th December 2014, 11:08   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Can you please look at the Vista top trim and Bolt and confirm what Vista is missing as against Bolt?

There are no lack of features barring the touch screen in the diesel trim, while for petrol on can say that the new petrol engine is with turbo. That's the only broad difference.

Cheers !
Vista TECH (VX Quadrajet) has a touch screen infotainment with nav.

In fact the specifications say it has "GPS Navigation". If it has built-in GPS without the need to use phone GPS, thats wonderful.

VISTA is no longer available in petrol. The 1.2 SAFIRE Vista has been discontinued.

Most Viewed