Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 13:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Thanks for the detailed review. Bolt looks impressive in the red color. This is definitely a big next step for Tata in terms of build quality. I own a Manza and I can clearly see the change by leaps and bounds for good. ICE setup also seems to be the best in the class. Cant wait to test it out!
Old 10th December 2014, 13:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Diligently drafted review Aditya, Crisp and Classy.

Though the entire review was spot on for any potential buyer, I just loved this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Despite the upcoming holiday season, most people will be happy to see that the outdated Christmas-tree tail lights have been eradicated:
The second I read that at my office, I was like !!

I think Tata have really taken the game onto a different level and you don't need to have a Masters in Marketing to know what this will do to hatchbacks in India soon.

I am only dreaming of the day when VW SCIROCCO can be bought in INR !!
Old 10th December 2014, 13:49   #18
BHPian

A thoroughly exhaustive and great review. Enjoyed reading it. TML is slow to catch up and should try and improve on the new product introduction cycle time to compete with likes to MSIL and Hyundai. Let us hope BOLT does not become the mainstay hatchback taxi car like Indica.
Old 10th December 2014, 13:54   #19
BHPian

And that was a comprehensive review.

Things that could've been retained:-

1. Parking Sensors
2. LED Tail-lights
3. Angel Rings (Really!!)

Things that could've been added:-

1. 90 HP Diesel engine
2. Height Adjustable Seatbelts
3. Rear AC-Vents (Must for a city based car)
4. Auto Folding Mirrors (For those tight parking gaps)
5. A Competent Boot-Space(Seems they have tried too hard to compete it with the Swift)

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2014 at 16:54. Reason: Please don't type with excessive BOLD text. It's an eyesore
Old 10th December 2014, 14:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

A wonderful review of a wonderful evolutionary car. Just love it in the red colour. Rated full 5 stars. Hope the car does well.

Points that I noticed (obvious comparisons to the Vista. Apologies for that) -
1. Quality is of course good. No surprise after the Zest anyway.

2. The doors certainly have shed a lot of weight compared to the Vista. At least the fron't door's Maruti type hinge seems thin pressed steal design. I'd like to see the hinge that holds the rear door. Vista's was super strong cast iron type.
Vista rear door hinge

3. They could have done better with the covers that hide the rear seat forward roll hinges. They are identical to the Vista (Along with hundreds of other interior panels) and are bound to go missing one by one with every visit to the A.S.S.

4. Either the photo is not taken at the right angle, or the faux leather lining above the steering is not present in the Bolt. I'm not able to see it.

5. Learning the wrong things from the Germans....14" spare when other wheels are 15".

6. Its odd that the Bolt gets navigation when Zest doesn't. The Harman ICE is an absolute stunner for the segment. Even more of a stunner since TML's million rupee SUV doesn't have it! Time to sync up things.

7. Does it have rear 12V power socket? Vista had it.

8. Inner door panels are mostly identical to Vista.

9. Boot dimensions seem mostly similar to the Vista. Wonder where it loses the 20 liters.

10. The review mentions 30 mm more wheelbase at one place & says identical to Vista at other...

11. I certainly will prefer a perceived "outdated" xmas tree tail lamp assembly compared to the Scorpio like plastic filler that the Bolt now has in place of the Xmas tree. The Xmas tree gave 2 fog lamps, 2 separate pairs of brake and tail lamps.

12. Thankfully, TML has retained a pair of reverse lamp & not gone to Polo - Punto way of plonking a fog lamp in one cluster and reverse lamp in the other. Absolutely unacceptable safety compromise IMO by the Europeans. So Thanks TML for not taking the opportunity.

13. I'm with Aditya about the kink in the C pillar vinyl wrap. Straight line would be better.

14. Vista had a softer rubbery air deflector. Didn't look as smart as the one on the Bolt, but was more abuse friendly. It would fold when bumped against something & come back to original shape. This new unit will break if hit. But the GC is so good that it will probably never meet harm at all.

Again. A superb product & really hope it does well & achieves what the very good Vista couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Zest or Bolt?
It is lower in Bolt. Zest's tray at the back is a bit taller than the seat top line and eats a few millimeters of the rear view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzzexped View Post

Things that could've been added:-

1. 90 HP Diesel engine
2. Height Adjustable Seatbelts
3. Rear AC-Vents (Must for a city based car)
4. Auto Folding Mirrors (For those tight parking gaps)
Man you are asking for too much for too little a price. The Zest already gives a lot compared to others for the money. Why is it that we always want a lot at very low price when it is a Tata? Quite unfair.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th December 2014 at 14:14.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Review. Thank you. While most things are impressive, absolutely love the Navimaps integration to the HU that they are providing. With the Harman smartlink app is it possible to mirror any App on the HU or will only Navimaps work?

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 10th December 2014 at 14:22.
Old 10th December 2014, 14:19   #22
BHPian

Superb review, and amazing pictures, looking at the AMT supply issue's we can safely assume that the bolt may get this tech by the end of 2015. hope they will launch AMT in petrol version as well.
Old 10th December 2014, 14:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review.
The step up in quality shows. For the first time, Tata has a hatchback which beats rivals in not just space.

I have a question. As per my understanding smartlink is a screen mirroring app. This means, if I am not using navimaps, but something else, even that should be mirrored on the screen? Right.
Did you try smartlink without navimaps
Old 10th December 2014, 14:32   #24
BHPian

Amazing review and rated well deserved 5 stars.

Tata has come a long way since Indica/Indigo days. While Zest was a revolutionary car for Tata, having owned a Vista for 4 years, I can clearly see this car more of an evolutionary car. Lot of things have 'evolved' from the outgoing car, with obvious resemblance to Zest.

What I have seen with Tata cars (having driven Vista for 75k+ kms), is that as a product, they can take any abuse, yet wont give up! I have taken Vista to places with no road and with 8 people on board and it has performed just fine.

If Tata can take care of niggling issues and the after sales service, they have winner combo in the form of Zest and Bolt. In my view, Bolt is not going to bring home good numbers because it has formidable competition, unlike Zest, which had relatively easy competition.

Exciting times ahead!!
Old 10th December 2014, 14:38   #25
BHPian

Great review and Bolt looks smashing in red.

Tata have done an impressive job in bringing out the Bolt. Attention to detail in a hatchback is highly commendable. Only thing what hinders me is the fact that no matter Tata may market it as totally new car, some bits here and there points me to Indica Vista. It would have been a lot better if Tata had designed it from sratch and I am sure this would have given them lot more credit for such effort. Overall I really appreciate the way Tata is making a comeback. I just hope they take care supply constraints which is seen with Zest.
Old 10th December 2014, 14:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Man you are asking for too much for too little a price. The Zest already gives a lot compared to others for the money. Why is it that we always want a lot at very low price when it is a Tata? Quite unfair.
, it may be quite unfair to ask too much too early from them. But TATA has already provided one of its best in a long long time and it has got people like me hungry and greedy.

But of these, let me take out these
Height Adjustable Seatbelts
Auto-Folding mirrors.
These are more of a list of personal expectations that I have.

One can argue the need of Rear AC Vents when an Auto-Climate Control is present. But I still feel its a need due to our weather conditions.

But why take off
Rear Parking Sensors, particularly when there is comparably less visibility in the back.
Angle Rings:- Though a cosmetic enhancement for the car, it was an USP which it had. And the same thing goes with the LED Tail-lights

And please don't think that i'm nitpicking, for I am, this evening doing the PDI of the TATA Zest that my family recently booked
karzzexped is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:43   #27
BHPian

Excellent review Aditya. Took care of everything that a potential owner would like to know.
Hope you get a chance soon to test the diesel as well.
Eagerly waiting for the launch date and price list.
If the pricing is right, will most probably book a Quadrajet XT(even though I don't need a diesel for my running at all). No other car in this segment comes close to ticking the boxes like this one does.
Old 10th December 2014, 14:45   #28
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review. A very good effort by Tata Motors. What fuel efficiency figures did you guys manage during the drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
halogen projectors are a first-in-class feature:
Halogen Projectors are also offered on the Maruti Stingray!
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One can argue the need of Rear AC Vents when an Auto-Climate Control is present. But I still feel its a need due to our weather conditions.
Your location shows Madurai! you need not just 1 rear ac vent but two on rear doors+roof too in summer
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

But why take off
Rear Parking Sensors, particularly when there is comparably less visibility in the back.
Angle Rings:- Though a cosmetic enhancement for the car, it was an USP which it had. And the same thing goes with the LED Tail-lights

And please don't think that i'm nitpicking, for I am, this evening doing the PDI of the TATA Zest that my family recently booked
First of all, Congratulations on the Zest! Wishing you happy ownership right away.

1. Rear AC - have you experienced Vista (Or any other TML car really...)? At any setting cooler than 50% AC, it is a chiller anywhere in the cabin. So the rear AC really would serve the purpose of "status" and not actual utility due to need. Instead it would probably eat into rear foot well space. You don't need a rear AC vent in a Tata hatch. Trust me.

2. I don't think this needs rear parking sensors. Like Vista it will be easy to park.

3. LEDs, Angel rings - leave something for a midlife refresh mate .

Also, some things must be omitted. Will people (like you) buy the Zest only for a slightly larger boot when everything else is same in the Bolt? No. The segment has to remain lower than Zest.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th December 2014 at 14:46.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed