Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 10:50   #61
BANNED

Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Fantastic review!

And a overall great product from Tata. Though lacking on the finesse in some areas, IMO is a very competitive product. Make me more optimistic on the future of the company.
Old 11th December 2014, 10:57   #62
BHPian

Rated the extremely detailed and exhaustive thread a well deserved 5 stars. With the pricing of Zest being bang on, I expect this one to have killer pricing as well. With the kind of offerings from the competition and the VFM quotient, this can be an easy 5K+ for Tata. Would love to see Tata back in the top slots again. Hope the Service and QC do not mess this up.
Old 11th December 2014, 10:58   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
The fact that one has to really look around to throw up quality issues tells me that Tata is improving by leaps and bounds and you did search didn't you? Example" The hinges that enable the seat-bases of the rear bench to flip forward are covered with poor quality plastic caps."
Actually in one car i literally feather-touched one of the caps and it just fell off. In another car, whilst sitting on the rear bench we spotted the same plastic piece lying under the driver's seat. Didn't have to look too hard for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Would it be able to clearly differentiate between a 9 and 12 with the bars?
Nope - but the fact is that real-time fuel efficiency is so sensitive and always fluctuating, that the best thing is to get a 'feel' of what you're currently doing - and its effect on FE.

A rapidly changing digital numeric read-out is very hard to keep track of when it fluctuates, especially when you're driving.

The numeric readout may be more 'accurate', but i think this is more useable.

Quote:
It is really disappointing to see a hard dependency on android phone, especially when they have a head unit that supports offline navigation and has provision for a memory card to store the maps.
Just to clarify, the offline maps requires the phone too.

The phone is the brains of the operation (handling: GPS, voice guidance processing, route distance calculations, rerouting, etc), with the info screen only being the display and alternate input device.

Quote:
Does the phone get charged via the USB connection while it is connected to the HU?
Good point! Yes, the phone does also get charged. We'll add a mention of this, thanks.

Quote:
Even if I plug in the car charger, it drains faster than it can charge and the battery level actually goes down during charging.
Yes, this can definitely happen in cases where charge rate < discharge rate.

However, charge rate depends on a few things which often get overlooked:
- Output capacity of the charger (is it 500ma like most cheapies, or 2A (2000ma) like the better ones / ones which come with tablets)
- Despite the printed rating, is your charger actually putting out the claimed current? Not true in a lot of cases where poor-quality chargers are used.
- Length & thickness of the USB cable. Even if you use a 2A charger, pairing it with a cable with low gauge wire will not enable the phone to make use of the charger's full current capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sorry to nit pick, but trim assembly happens after paint booth. Touch-up adds one more work stage in the assembly line and colored fasteners are not an option (new part number, paint peel-off while fastening etc).
Point noted. Though, that's not to say there isn't a solution.

If Indian companies want world-class products, they need to get over the "aise hi hota hai" [this is the way it always is] mentality and solve these problems in the many other available ways (additional touch-up, better design planning, alternate fastening methods, cladding, etc).

Quote:
No excuse for not providing this in the top variant.
I think that's expecting a bit too much! Which other cars in the segment (or even 1-2 segments up) have in-built GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Even I am not a fan of that Black C-pillar thingie they have done. I wonder if it can be peeled off completely?
From modding and wrapping cars for blackened pillars to un-modding cars

I'm sure the peel-off would be possible.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th December 2014 at 11:04.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 10:59   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Excellent review Aditya, rated 5 stars.
Thanks.

Quote:
I wish Tata could change the side profile a little. It looks almost the same as the vista.
If there is anything that I feel will work against the Bolt, it is this. Most people will tend to dismiss the car as just another Indica / Vista.

Quote:
What is the use of that RFID tag? I can see that on my Thar as well.
I guess all new cars are to be fitted with one.
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/electro...-31?t=MTAzMw==
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 11:45   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
If there is anything that I feel will work against the Bolt, it is this. Most people will tend to dismiss the car as just another Indica / Vista.
This is very true. Talk about playing a gamble and TML couldn't have played a bigger gamble. The products were already good in features and reliability. What they needed the most was a shift in image. A total revamp. It would have still worked had they not given that space age ICE but made a car that just LOOKED a lot different. The thing that they had to change the most, remains unchanged the most. Only time will tell whether the mass Indian market will accept this car the way it really should. Image is what matters the most to our people and TML has learnt this a lot of times over last decade...
Old 11th December 2014, 11:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

I think by retaining the old shape they have some kind of price flexibility, as new shape would mean new dies. This is how they are able to cram it with goodies, for the price. Just hazarding a guess.
Old 11th December 2014, 12:09   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I think by retaining the old shape they have some kind of price flexibility, as new shape would mean new dies. This is how they are able to cram it with goodies, for the price. Just hazarding a guess.
The guess is 100% correct of course. Its no secret that the shape is tied to money savings. The risk they play here is - Old shape = price flexibility. But if Old shape transpires to old sales figures, they'll be sorry and thinking we should have designed from 0. And in a cramped market space as the hatchback segment in India, the "better late than never" mantra hardly works...

So fingers crossed that the people see value of the product more than the shape and genetic history of the product. With a new design, the fingers would be free...
Old 11th December 2014, 12:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just to clarify, the offline maps requires the phone too.

The phone is the brains of the operation (handling: GPS, voice guidance processing, route distance calculations, rerouting, etc), with the info screen only being the display and alternate input device.

Yes, this can definitely happen in cases where charge rate < discharge rate.
I have 2A charger for the tablet but unless the app is also tuned in the most optimal fashion, it is going to have drain rate>charge rate scenario in case of heavy processing. I've experienced this with the official F1 app on my Lenovo android tablet. If it is less than ~25% charge when the race starts, it wouldn't last the entire race even if it is plugged in throughout.

In case of navigation apps, drain is likely to be heavy considering the numerous smart phone features that the app would be leveraging like GPS, location, screen refresh based on positioning, processing for voice, routing, distance calculation etc.

Do we know if the Harman unit is providing 2A for the USB? We cannot plug in a 2A charger while the phone is connected to navigation unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think that's expecting a bit too much! Which other cars in the segment (or even 1-2 segments up) have in-built GPS?
Agreed that the competition doesn't have it. However, that doesn't mean there wouldn't be customers who think they are getting this feature during the purchase and then realizing later that it is not usable unless they have an Android phone.

Since android is very common, it might not become a huge outcry. However, imagine the same dependency being on a Blackberry instead of Android. Then it would have been a feature that only a very small fraction would be able to leverage. So the restriction to only one platform is not something ideal, especially if they are going to market that as a distinguishing feature for their product from competition.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 12:54   #69
BHPian

@Aditya & Rehaan - Fantastic review. It amazes me whenever I read Team-BHP official review. You guys have set a standard and only you can break it.

I am happy as TATA is finally taking right steps albeit bit slow. After Zest, Bolt is a honest attempt from TATA. I could notice they have deliberately cut some corners to differentiate it from Zest. I wish they bring updated Storme soon to market which will surely bring back them to coveted third position.
Old 11th December 2014, 13:12   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ASG View Post
In ownership reviews of zest, owners are already complaining about the lack of quality control, Tata should address theses basic things first.
Really. Is that a hunch or for real.

Can you provide the link to some of those ownership reviews here.

Haven't come across any QC issues in Zest on any of the forums yet.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 14:45   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
My honest opinion.

On the same lines, the review would be 4 stars for me instead of 5 stars. Even though the attention to detail is superb, lot of expressions used in the review are replicated from the Zest review which could have been avoided or modified.

Otherwise the quality of review is great and we cannot find such attention to detail in any other forums.

Glad to be a member of such a forum.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 11th December 2014 at 15:10. Reason: Adding value and correct any misunderstanding
mrbaddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 15:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

+1 ,completely agree , on the contrary , you can see quite a few QC issues in the new Honda city threads. Come to think of it, There is still some distance for TML to cover ..agreed, but the gap is fast closing in.
Old 11th December 2014, 16:08   #73
BHPian

Really a "BOLT out of the blue"!
I think the TATAs hit the sweetspot this time and will follow up with many more good cars supported with reliability and after sale support.
Old 11th December 2014, 16:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Even though the attention to detail is superb, lot of expressions used in the review are replicated from the Zest review which could have been avoided or modified.
No offense but your suggestion reminded me of my engineering days where we used to modify words or re-phrase the sentences in the take-home assignments to make sure the original and copy doesn't look identical. Those are not really worth the effort in my opinion, especially in this case as there is no copyright violation involved.

When you've got a lot of identical parts in two cars, the experience out of them are also likely to be identical, be it looks, ergonomics, seating position, posture support etc. Frankly, I don't see any reason why some of those feedback shouldn't be replicated, if the experience from the hatchback is identical to that of the sedan. It helps those who are debating between the hatch vs sedan version to figure out the real differences and make a choice easily.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 16:20   #75
BHPian

Nicely Compiled review. Hatsoff to the mods for the in-depth analysis and information. When Tata announced Zest and Bolt, I was looking to upgrade my Vista to Bolt. But later decided to go with zest for the Spacious Boot and seeing lots of good reviews on the car. In fact Zest is our First Sedan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
+1 ,completely agree , on the contrary , you can see quite a few QC issues in the new Honda city threads. Come to think of it, There is still some distance for TML to cover ..agreed, but the gap is fast closing in.
I have been using the car for almost a week now and i have been driving daily. I am yet to spot any major issue. However I did spot an issue in the plastic line holding the sprayer nozzle. The plastic line seems to have come off the hook it was attached to in the bonnet a little and hence gives a small bulge. I am taking my car to the Service Centre tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
My honest opinion.

On the same lines, the review would be 4 stars for me instead of 5 stars. Even though the attention to detail is superb, lot of expressions used in the review are replicated from the Zest review which could have been avoided or modified.

Otherwise the quality of review is great and we cannot find such attention to detail in any other forums.

Glad to be a member of such a forum.
But as Mr. Baddy mentioned lot of information has been carried over from the Zest review. I am not saying the information mentioned is incorrect. They are very detailed and right to the point. But just that both the reviews reads out almost the same.

Most Viewed