Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 01:32   #61
BHPian

Re: Datsun GO+ : Official Review

I am surprised if Datsun and other foreign players entering or expanding into Indian market are researching the customer needs in depth. Through GO and GO+, it looks like they target low price in a hope of finding takers very easily. Had it been the case, many vehicles in their segment would have been great challengers to the leaders.

Datsun GO has failed miserably. The major shortcomings of this product third row with an impractical bench, no internal mirror adjustments for a MPV, pull type handbrake which I personally feel would be troublesome to use while driving on flyovers and bumper to bumper traffic, no covered lid to ensure the owner can keep vehicle documents safely and thin awful tires with no ABS option.

It is ironical to find not-so-useful features like Follow-me-home, mobile holder finding its place in the car by Datsun (Nissan) designers and Management.

The poor sales and service network, safety crash fail test reports of GO and market failure of GO and launch of GO+ in petrol avatar only will surely makes it inevitable for its last days to come sooner.

Had they launched a diesel motor, they might have a remote chance of advantage in taxi market where they could have garnered some numbers from low cost UVs like EECO, OMNI, XYLO and others.

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2015 at 13:10. Reason: Typos
utsav1303 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th January 2015, 03:06   #62

Good job Tushar and S2. Detailed review and great camera work in and out of the otherwise mediocre car. I feel that Datsun has compromised on the Safety aspect and they really need to re-look at their Design Strategy if they have to mark their presence in the Indian market which is booming with new launces.
The only silver lining for the car I feel was definitely the scenic location and I can bet Go+ can't ever look any more beautiful than what you guys have captured.
Old 16th January 2015, 07:04   #63
dvv
BHPian

It just struck me that the MID in this car shows a distance to empty counter, average and real-time fuel efficiency. I think this is something Hyundai should learn from Datsun.

Hyundai I hope you are reading this thread too!
dvv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 07:45   #64
BHPian

So whats next? A sub 4m Bus that can seat 20? Oh sorry no sitting, only standing and going like sheep in a truck.. Safety? What safety? Don't talk about safety in India.. Haven't you heard about the proverb: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"..
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 08:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Killer pricing and killer car too, now that you can carry more people also makes it sound a little scary. I am surprised TeamBHP really bothered with a review for this suicide machine on wheels!
Old 16th January 2015, 08:41   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes I know but would you prefer travelling in an auto rickshaw or this? What about the auto rickshaw drivers? Don't they have self respect and don't value their lives?

Now we have Tata Nano cabs as well!!

Leaving aside Bangalore, other cities in India have Premier Padmini's, Amby's and Maruti Omni's as cabs! Vs the Omni, the Datsun Go+ will any day be better.
Well said.
Even i mentioned earlier that these cars (With CNG may be) will be preferable to drivers to an auto any day of the week. And we have "Share Autos" which stuff themselves people like cattle. I think this car would be a better replacement to those.
Old 16th January 2015, 09:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the nice review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiram View Post
And we have "Share Autos" which stuff themselves people like cattle. I think this car would be a better replacement to those.
I don't think it can replace the share auto/taxi as getting in and out will be tiring. But, those with a tight budget and looking for little more space or a small seat for kids will definitely consider this.
Old 16th January 2015, 10:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
We have quite a few sub-4m sedans. This looks better than most sub-4m sedans. That's about the only nice thing I have to say about this car. I like the idea of a sub-4m station wagon (estate). I hope Maruti or Hyundai will take up this idea and execute something better.

The USP is the 3rd row of seats, but judging by the picture, it will be torture chamber with the 2nd row up. If the sale executives market it to prospective customers as "the hatchback with the largest boot in the segment", it may find more takers.
MSIL is planning a WagonR based 7 seater, wait and see, what is going to be the future of sub-4 meter class in India unless the Government wakes up and stop this nonsense of pushing things this tight with least concern about passenger safety.

Cheers
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 11:03   #69
Team-BHP Support

The frugal diesel is a must for it to succeed in the taxi segment. Else its not going much. Initially I thought the diesel option was anyway there. Surprised on this!
How come its a people mover and Nissan thinks, diesel is not needed?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 11:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
He has already driven to Shirdi from Chikmagalur via Pune once and is Happy about the fact that it does hold up to 3 Digit speeds and carries 5 passengers in comfort with adequate boot as well.
Datsun GO at 3 Digit speeds ? Made me cringe just reading it. The way the car disintegrated in the crash test at 64kmph, I shudder thinking what would happen at speeds > 100 kmph.

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2015 at 13:12. Reason: Typos
Old 16th January 2015, 12:13   #71
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Only scope is to be used as a taxi within the city. But now sure how many taxi owners would put their money on this given the low number of service centers.

I cant understand how they come up with these products and also get the top management approval for funding it !! The Datsun brand isn't going anywhere.

If Nissan had this amount to burn, they could have given it away in terms of discounts on Terrano and Sunny. Would have improved the sales.
Old 16th January 2015, 12:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

The Govt only created this sub-4 metre class, but yes they themselves didn't had guessed that things will be taken this far by manufacturers. What started with a good looking Indigo CS has now stretched to 7 Seater. The Govt should amend the law by adding two words after 4 meter i.e. 4 meter and 5-seater.
One more thing I noticed that as the 3rd row passengers are too close to rear glass, isn't this the same with Ertiga, I feel the 3rd row passengers are at same risk in Ertiga too.
Also few people have suggested it as alternative to Autos, I find it very expensive alternative and we already have Tata Ace based people carriers plying successfully and Magic Iris too.
I would be keenly watching the sales figures of GO+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
MSIL is planning a WagonR based 7 seater, wait and see, what is going to be the future of sub-4 meter class in India unless the Government wakes up
Old 16th January 2015, 12:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
MSIL is planning a WagonR based 7 seater, wait and see, what is going to be the future of sub-4 meter class in India unless the Government wakes up and stop this nonsense of pushing things this tight with least concern about passenger safety.
I wasn't thinking of a sub-4m 7-seater, but a station wagon based on the Dzire/Xcent/Zest. I guess it will look better than the sedans and will still provide a 3-box look for those who are keen on that.

I'm not surprised that Maruti is trying to introduce a new 7-seater based on the Wagon-R. About 10% of Maruti's monthly sales come from Eeco and Omni. Both of those may need expensive upgrades when the mandatory crash test norms come into effect (hopefully) in two years' time. It will probably be cheaper for Maruti and better for customers if Maruti creates an Eeco/Omni alternative based on the Wagon-R.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 12:35   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The frugal diesel is a must for it to succeed in the taxi segment. Else its not going much. Initially I thought the diesel option was anyway there. Surprised on this!
How come its a people mover and Nissan thinks, diesel is not needed?
With 3rd row removed and CNG retrofit, this will still have good luggage space which other taxis in this segment (Compact Sedan and hatchback taxies) are struggling. This could be a hit in cheap radio / app based cabs and would be a preference for airport / satellite cities / township runs.

Wait and see...

Only exception if Nissan decides against Taxi segment sales for the car !

Last edited by i74js : 16th January 2015 at 12:46.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:09   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

If there's an award for Most Irresponsible + We Don't Know Why We Exist company, that should go to Datsun. Close runner up would be group company Nissan.

Seriously, after all the bad PR they got for the lack of safety in the Go, is this how they respond? This is like how Tobacco companies responded in the 60s or 70s.

Like many, even I wonder why TBHP even bothered to review this car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks