Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 12:52   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun GO+ : Official Review

Agree, but not many cars got this feedback from Global NCAP! At least these cars, we can give it a pass. These reviews are informative, but these are also one form of publicity for these cars when they are launched.

http://www.globalncap.org/global-nca...-of-datsun-go/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
If Team-BHP only reviewed cars that were genuinely safe, the review section would go really dry .
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 15:32   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been scratching my scalp dry trying to figure out why Nissan would launch a once-venerated brand as a "budget" offering in its developing markets and having read the entire story must confess am still at a loss. Especially when Nissan has *no* flagship cars in India, just clones of the Renaults (and vice versa), why on earth launch a THIRD brand then!

And as expected the Go+ is just another cheap offering that does nothing for the Indian consumer- not even one on a budget. Cars are still a relatively high-involvement purchase in this country and it's hard to imagine anyone being enamored by this one, whether by looks or features.

It's a different matter if Maruti had launched the Go+: based on the name alone a ton of them would have been sold from Day One. This product falls more in the "What were they thinking?" category. Almost certainly a market dud.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 16:05   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Agree, but not many cars got this feedback from Global NCAP! At least these cars, we can give it a pass. These reviews are informative, but these are also one form of publicity for these cars when they are launched.
On the contrary, I think review of these cars stir a follow up discussion which highlight safety (or lack of it). No review would mean no discussion and hence much less awareness.
Plus, the TBHP review does put up the lack of safety aspect on the pointers list at the beginning of each review.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 16:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

If news are to be believed, GoI will come up with specific safety norms for cars in a year from now.

MSIL can sustain because of the profits that the company is making, thereby dropping certain products like Omni, Ecco while making additional investment to make others in compliance with the new regulations.

Airbags in Alto is something that can be seen as starting point in this direction.

Datsun has just 2 offerings on a single platform, essentially not doing well at the present price point, additional safety features means change in price ! what will they do?

Exit from Indian market in 5 years?

Completely doomed strategy it seems !
Old 19th January 2015, 16:48   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
On the contrary, I think review of these cars stir a follow up discussion which highlight safety (or lack of it). No review would mean no discussion and hence much less awareness.
Plus, the TBHP review does put up the lack of safety aspect on the pointers list at the beginning of each review.

Regards.

There is no pointer with regard to the absence of airbags. Absence of airbags been mentioned only in the 'Other Points'.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 19th January 2015 at 16:57.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:00   #111
BHPian

Its amazing to see the weight of this car, its lot lighter than many of the hatch backs.Price point is superb but the long term ownership is unpredictable.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:06   #112
BHPian

Thank for the review. Its a surprisingly decent looking vehicle. In fact, I liked this better than Mobilio. However, that seem to be the only good thing about this car(?).

It is to be seen how consumers will receive the glaring cost cutting measures. No radio (seriously?), no closed glove box, antique hand brake and the list goes on. I do not even want to get started on practicality of the tiny third row seats.

Makes one wonder if this was designed to be launched a decade back and found the time to launch it now.

- Shiva
skotha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 18:10   #113
Senior - BHPian

This is the "nano" of MPVs! I'm guessing Nissan Datsun will sell just over 20 cars a month! Who in the world would approve of such cars in the Nissan board? I'm sure this is one of the biggest blunders of Nissan!
India is a cost sensitive market, but customers see through quality levels of cars!
The datsun go is struggling to sell even a 1000 units a month and the go+ will be a much bigger disaster.
When all manufacturers are making an effort to evolve, Nissan has decided it must go back a decade!
Old 21st January 2015, 08:49   #114
Senior - BHPian

Nissan has positioned this bang in the middle of the Eeco and Omni, both vehicles sell around 8,000 units a month combined on an average. If Nissan cracks this market, then it will laugh all the way to the bank

The Go+ has in its favour
- Looks
- Perception of higher status
- Foreign manufacturer tag
- Large boot for hatch price
- 7 seat configuration, even if that is useful only on paper

A few of the shortcomings can be overcome
- A smartphone can easily take the place of the music system and act as a GPS, music player, video player etc. while at the same time getting itself charged
- The rear non-retractable seat belts can be tucked out of the way or dare I say, removed!

Public memory is short and People have already forgotten that Nissan was 'ordered' to pull the Go out of the Indian market, but still, for those who remember, that point is a deal breaker

The Go+ is an 'evolutionary' car, something that will act as a catalyst and goad other Manufacturers to address this market segment
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 17:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

My friend is seriously considering to buy the Datsun Go+. The main points that he mentioned:

1. He is currently driving an Alto, 100% city usage, less than 60 km/hr.
2. His budget is only 4.5 Lakhs (cannot be extended much), including exchange value for his Alto.
3. He has 4 kids, the eldest is 7 years old, so third row space would be for kids only.
4. The max he would keep this car is for 7 or 8 years.
5. He needs a 7 seater, but his budget is less. He doesn’t want used cars.
6. He is aware of the 'lack of safety’ campaign, but he thinks Alto has the same safety level. And he feels that Reviews are being un-necessarily cruel to Datsun, considering that others cars in the price range are also in the same ‘safety’ league. As per him, people don’t have any problem driving around in ‘tin-box’ Marutis, but suddenly expect 10 Lakh rupees safety features from a 4 lakh rupees Datsun. (No offense to Maruti Owners - I own 2 Marutis, and I feel the same.)
7. He doesn’t want to wait till the Government brings a law for minimum safety standards for cars. Waiting would mean using his existing Alto and bike for 5 years.
8. Other options would be the Omni and the Eeco.

Should he take the plunge?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 21st January 2015 at 17:12.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 17:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
My friend is seriously considering to buy the Datsun Go+. The main points that he mentioned:

2. His budget is only 4.5 Lakhs (cannot be extended much), including exchange value for his Alto.
3. He has 4 kids, the eldest is 7 years old, so third row space would be for kids only.
6. He is aware of the 'lack of safety’ campaign, but he thinks Alto has the same safety level. And he feels that Reviews are being un-necessarily cruel to Datsun, considering that others cars in the price range are also in the same ‘safety’ league. As per him, people don’t have any problem driving around in ‘tin-box’ Marutis, but suddenly expect 10 Lakh rupees safety features from a 4 lakh rupees Datsun.
7. He doesn’t want to wait till the Government brings a law for minimum safety standards for cars. Waiting would mean using his existing Alto and bike for 5 years.

Precisely the set of customers I was talking about. Folks who need the extra seats, the alternative being taking another car or using public transport.

This is typically an issue that arises when you want to go shopping or to a temple or movie with both in-laws and parents or close relatives.

Or as in your friend's case, four kids (must admit is rarer than the other likely use cases).

The real or future, perceived need with limited funds can work in Go+'s favor.

The only thing that will worry future buyers is what kind of After Sales Service can they expect and how much would it cost for a relatively unknown brand like Datsun !
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post

6. He is aware of the 'lack of safety’ campaign, but he thinks Alto has the same safety level. And he feels that Reviews are being un-necessarily cruel to Datsun, considering that others cars in the price range are also in the same ‘safety’ league. As per him, people don’t have any problem driving around in ‘tin-box’ Marutis, but suddenly expect 10 Lakh rupees safety features from a 4 lakh rupees Datsun. (No offense to Maruti Owners - I own 2 Marutis, and I feel the same.)

He'll have to check out the car and take the call for himself at the end of the day. Ignoring the safety aspect, the service back up in his location is something he will have to bear in mind.

The 3rd row seat is extremely cramped and inconvenient to use. It may be suitable for his kids (he should take them along for the test drive), but if he's going to hold on to the car for 7-8 years, what happens when the kids grow up? Kids these days are growing taller a lot faster and that 3rd row may be rendered moot sooner than later.

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2015 at 14:20. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:16   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have been scratching my scalp dry trying to figure out why Nissan would launch a once-venerated brand as a "budget" offering in its developing markets
True. I had no idea of the Datsun brand and its history, but I just loved this one particular car - the 240Z. I mean, just look at it. What clean lines and proportions!

Datsun GO+ : Official Review-3bc61c1e26cd3131d13c8dc65c32d27f.jpg
(Pic source - Petrolicious)

Can't believe they resurrected this brand to make models like the Go and Go+.
Old 25th January 2015, 15:14   #119
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for a superb 5* review, Tushar & S2!!! The attention to detail is fantastic as always, and I loved the photographs. The Go+ parked on the waterfall with the Himalayas in the background is captivating!

All superlatives and kudos are for the painstakingly compiled review only. I tried hard to find something praiseworthy about the car itself. The only positive things I can say are that it is a more car-like alternative to the Omni, Eeco & Venture as a 5+2 seater. Even if one wants to seat 7 adults, it loses out to the above mentioned trio. The Go+ also has some decent (if basic) mechanicals like an engine with good drivability and a competent suspension. Despite all the glaring cost cutting, it does get a few nice features (compared to its direct 7-seater competitors) such as an ECU-controlled engine immobiliser, tachometer, full MID, cabin A/C filter and follow-me-home headlamps.

The less said about safety, the better. Non-ELR outer seatbelts for the second row and two point lap belts for the third row are shocking. The third row itself is a joke. It's better to keep it folded down or completely remove it and use the car as a sub-4m station wagon. Those low quality Strada 155/70R13 tyres need to be swapped with wider rubber from a good brand if one is going to buy this car.

If one is planning to buy the Datsun Go+, then please consider the Nissan Micra Active that's present in the same showroom. The only trim level of the Go+ with power steering is the top T variant, and it costs ~ 4.61 lac (ex-showroom, Chennai). The way better Micra Active costs ~ 4.38, 4.69 & 5.01 lacs (all ex-showroom, Chennai) for the much better loaded XL, XV & XV Safety variants.

Apart from the additional "seats" in the third row, the Micra Active is far better than the Go+ in every aspect that one can think of. The Micra Active's base XL variant (which costs 23k less) itself has more features compared to the Go+'s top T trim level, and is more refined as well with much better interiors. And the XV safety variant, which has 2 airbags, ABS+EBD+BA, height adjustable rear neck restraints, a proper 4-speaker 2-DIN music system, rear power windows, keyless entry, 165/70R14 tyres and plenty more, costs an additional 40k rupees only - it's well worth the extra money, IMHO.

Last edited by RSR : 25th January 2015 at 15:36.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 15:50   #120
BHPian

Excellent review, covering every aspect a buyer needs to look at.

I hope for Datsun/Nissan, the auto industry and consumer's sake, this flops in the market. There is a difference between Cheap and Inexpensive. The latter will always win over cheap.

I am surprised Nissan has not learnt from the failure of the Nano / Etios twins and is essentially continuing on the same path.

Most Viewed