Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 19:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun GO+ : Official Review

Nice and informative review as is the norm in the forum. The photograph of the car on the stream makes the Go+ quite gorgeous. Which is this location? A picture aside a Mobilio would be better for comparison purpose.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th January 2015 at 19:08.
Old 15th January 2015, 19:27   #47
BHPian

This car is bound to not sell in India. People who want a budget seven seater will buy the EECO or Omni because of Maruti aftersales. People who want a premium seven seater will buy the Ertiga or the Mobillio. After te Go failing miserably in the crash test and getting to know that even airbags will not help, Datsun shouldn't have launched this as basic safety will be mandatory for all cars.
And they think introducing this car in the Taxi market will kill the brand? They sure are living in a fool's paradise. Indian customers are now much aware of what car they are buying and they have got plenty of choices too. It's not possible to fool them.
With the help of unbiased sources like our very own forum, people now very well know how important is the safety in cars.
Datsun, either bring some good products or go home with these bare bones basic cars.
Great review Tushar and S2!! as usual. The details you covered in this review are just superb. After reading this, one feels like they have just taken a test drive of this car and reading it multiple times people think they have owned the car! Such are these reviews. Kudos Team-BHP!!
petrolhead_neel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 20:10   #48
BHPian

Great review Tushar and S2 . I couldn't digest the meagre 48 litres available as a boot space .What can be kept in this tiny impratical boot ? People might be interested to buy this as a 5 seater rather than as a 7 seater.
Old 15th January 2015, 20:31   #49
BHPian

At 790 kgs, it is 300kgs lighter than my GTX These sub 4 meter cars are really spoiling the market, would be better if the benefit applies only to hatches. Sedans, MUV/SUVs should be allowed 4.3-4.5m with an adjusted benefit.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 20:36   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
• They don't intend to offer ABS or Airbags, citing the lack of demand.

• The management has no plans to promote Datsun in the taxi market; they feel it will kill the brand.
After getting panned for the poor performance of the GO in the NCAP crash test, they still don't offer ABS or Airbags!

As for worries that the taxi market will kill the brand, the brand is already dying on its own. In a way I am glad they are not in the taxi market. I wouldn't sit in one.

What a waste of money launching the GO+. It could have been put to better use improving the GO, making it safer, and promoting sales. Get it accepted and recognized by the masses. Then launch the GO+.
Old 15th January 2015, 20:41   #51
BHPian

I Have one suggestion to Datsun Design Community.

If you only you give an option for Reversing the 2nd Row Seats to a La-Omni style (Facing third row), Both third row and 2nd row are actually usable for Adult passengers.
Old 15th January 2015, 20:46   #52
BHPian

An excellent review, as is the norm here. Good job Tushar and S2!!

Coming to the vehicle itself, Nissan/Datsun does seem to be going a wrong approach trying to establish itself.

It is trying to sell at a price point trying to target entry level or first time customers for whom an important aspect is serviceability and to an extent, brand name among other things. These are things at which NISSAN/DATSUN fails miserably.

Crazy Idea ! but if Nissan/Datsun got Maruti/Suzuki to service this product, there might be some hope for the Go+.

IMHO, the vehicle for its price point is a viable product, notwithstanding basic issues which have been amply pointed out by various members.

Nissan/Datsun first needs to establish itself before it can go the Maruti way where just providing vehicles at a price point is enough to ensure that their vehicle sells.
Old 15th January 2015, 21:57   #53
BHPian

Before I begin ranting, well compiled review. I'd have been bored out of my mind trying to review this car/van/whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
• Missing essentials (rear wash & wipe, glovebox lid, retractable rear seatbelts, ORVM adjustment stalks, day/night IRVM, proper head-unit)
I don't understand; first they try and plonk in things that people can live without, (read: follow me home headlamps, full MID & speed-sensitive wipers) and miss out something so basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Somehow I feel this car too would go the Go way. Datsun seems to have lost the plot when it comes to selling cars in India. While I understand that Go+ is supposed to be an economy car, it just seems to be unfinished especially when compared to rival cars.
+1. What put me off the most was the underside of the hood and the engine-bay. Only one phrase seems to sum up this vehicle for me - 'Half-Hearted'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
There would be families with 1 or 2 small kids and they wouldn't mind buying this as a stop-gap arrangement till the kids grow up. All 7 seats would anyways be rarely used. so most would treat it as a "5-seater hatch with above-average luggage space". And I believe that would be the USP of this car.
To be frank, this car actually reminded me of our Omni; except that the Omni had a glove box lid and could possibly carry the entire village in one go if anyone bothered to try. Thinking out loud; what if the Go+ had seating arrangement like the 8 seater (note to self: learn optimism from Maruti) Omni? Would that be a better seating configuration?

Cheers!
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 22:42   #54
BANNED

The jack being under the driver seat is a massive safety hazard!
It can roll forward and block the brake pedal, just like a bottle can do.
I fail to understand why one would pay 4.7 for this car when they can get a polo (4 star safety) for 5.xx.
Old 15th January 2015, 22:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is really a sub standard car that does not belong on our roads. Definitely not in our metros, perhaps in tier 2 and 3 towns they could sell a handful of cars but there again customers have become quality conscious.

Didn't Datsun learn anything from the Tata Nano's failure?
Tushar - great review, loved the way you have covered the details in a very crisp manner.

The car itself - well, a lot of Bhpians have already posted on this thread and i guess the view is pretty unanimous that Datsun/Nissan is trying to ride on the premise that "anything cheap sells in India"

Sahil - leave alone learning from Tata Nanos failure - Datsun doesnt seem to care two hoots about its very own GO being in the news for all the wrong reasons very recently when it failed the Global NCAP Crash Test big time. The company is saying that there is "no demand" for airbags! The least i would have expected from a responsible company was to acknowledge the failings and provide a product which had some features (at least) to mitigate the crash test findings.

So we have a car with tinny build quality, seating 7 people and having an engine which can haul it at good speeds (70+ kmph) on highways, skinny tyres and no safety features at all (impact beams, airbags, collapsible steering, ABS) None ! Surefire recipe for disaster.

I fervently wish that Datsun/Nissans premise is proved wrong!
Rajeev1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 23:50   #56
BHPian

Seems like this car was designed to kill its occupants. Strada tyres? I tried googling them but couldn't find anything. Weak chassis and despite the euro ncap requesting Nissan to pull it out, they have launched another version of the same. But Nissan is paying the price, it is no brainier that it won't sell. But how the hell do they manage to have a kerb weight of 760 kilos in such a large car?
Lotus can learn from them a thing or two about weight.

Last edited by Doge : 15th January 2015 at 23:51.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 00:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

You should refuse to post a review of an atrocious vehicle like this. It is an insult to the intelligence of the consumer, and should be allowed to die a natural death.
Old 16th January 2015, 00:53   #58
Team-BHP Support

Either Datsun should get the 1.5DCi engine in this Go+ or remove the 3rd row completely and get a CNG version with a tank in the boot.

Why? Because this will make the perfect taxi! Along with Etios or Dzire or Verito this will probably be cheaper and will serve as a better taxi alternative. It is already kitted out like a cab with bare bones equipment. Why not sell it as a taxi alternative?

Frugal 1.2L CNG or the 1.5DCi. Both engines are workhorses. Coupled with the rear seat space and the boot space even with the CNG tank it makes a lot of sense.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 01:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Why? Because this will make the perfect taxi!
Taxi drivers have self respect, value their lives and love their families. I once travelled in an Etios taxi in Bangalore and mistakenly remarked to the driver that the door feels very light.

What followed was a litany of woes from the driver, stating how unsafe he feels in this 'Bournevita Tin', how another driver was seriously injured in what would've been a 'minor accident' in his older cab, et al. He was actually nostalgic about his Indica/Logan.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 01:20   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Taxi drivers have self respect, value their lives and love their families. I once travelled in an Etios taxi in Bangalore and mistakenly remarked to the driver that the door feels very light.

What followed was a litany of woes from the driver, stating how unsafe he feels in this 'Bournevita Tin', how another driver was seriously injured in what would've been a 'minor accident' in his older cab, et al. He was actually nostalgic about his Indica/Logan.
Yes I know but would you prefer travelling in an auto rickshaw or this? What about the auto rickshaw drivers? Don't they have self respect and don't value their lives?

Now we have Tata Nano cabs as well!!

Leaving aside Bangalore, other cities in India have Premier Padmini's, Amby's and Maruti Omni's as cabs! Vs the Omni, the Datsun Go+ will any day be better.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks