Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 18:14   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Thank you all for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats Sahil, it's a nice car but you should now make space for the new E Class

If you decode your VIN there are chances that 2016 MY have inbuilt Car play as standard and there might be some way to activate this.
There is no space left in my wallet for the E-class! Also, I do not wish to add another Mercedes in my garage for sometime now as I prefer keeping different brands. Hence I am more keen on the 3 series instead of the CLA as I prefer each of my cars to have a different look, feel and drive. In this case the S is the top end of the Merc stable and CLA is at the bottom end so they don't feel very similar at all. However, the new E will feel too similar to the S for me to even consider it.

How can I decode my VIN and activate the car play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Your choice of colour? I think your sister would've loved red.
Yes, red was her first choice but the grey was at par since the red only had black interior while the grey has biege. We haven't ever owned a grey car and IMO, the CLA is a rare care that actually looks best in grey. Moreover, the gunmetal-ish alloys match perfectly with the grey color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
A small question, Any particular reason you did not opt for the Red colour ?
For me red has to be a Ferrari. I find it wannabe-ish on any other car especially on with less than 200bhp like the CLA. Hopefully the first red car I have is a Ferrari sooner than later !
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:27   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How can I decode my VIN and activate the car play?
first decode from some website like this

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check

if it does come as an option, you will need to take help of someone at the dealership. I remember the CLA-AMG that I ordered and then went back had this option and local dealer had checked with someone at MB to get this activated post delivery. Even though your car is CKD, I don't think they will get rid of small features like this on car kits. It's just matter of time when this becomes standard everywhere. Most of BMW- 2017 MY now have this option that too without wirelessly as part of extended Bluetooth package.
Quote:
In this case the S is the top end of the Merc stable and CLA is at the bottom end so they don't feel very similar at all. However, the new E will feel too similar to the S for me to even consider it.
Perhaps, let's see what they launch. If it's with a 6 cylinder engine be assured you will have much more fun than S class. You might feel S class dated in comparison, all those lovely gadgets and infinite colour adjustments of internal lighting and the knobs that sound with a distinctive click, can't wait. BMW is surely going to get a beating.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th August 2016 at 18:29.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:30   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
For me red has to be a Ferrari. I find it wannabe-ish on any other car especially on with less than 200bhp like the CLA. Hopefully the first red car I have is a Ferrari sooner than later !
I feel the ditto same, I have never owned a car with red colour nor i like it, CLA has to be the first car which i actually liked, Probably because of the way it looks, Alloys and the tail lamps.

Regardless of the colour, I saw a grey one too couple of days back, Looks very very elegant.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:38   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
first decode from some website like this

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check
Thanks. That website is great, gives a very detailed summary.

Unfortunately the car does not have Apple Car Play mentioned in the list. Nor does it have the Harmon Kardon system, so that clears my doubt. Its the more basic Audio 20 Mercedes sound system. Cost cutting everywhere possible by MB
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 13:30   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It’s a looker, but not really small by Indian standards. That said, it’s so easy and relaxing to drive; much more than some of the small sedans and hatchbacks out there. Why not the petrol? I test drove the petrol variant, and the civilized power delivery is just brilliant.
Good point (re: the petrol). From the reviews, it's certainly got the legs on it's diesel sibling. I haven't considered a petrol car in the last 7 years, but this could easily bring me back.
Old 8th September 2016, 16:13   #156
BHPian

Congrats on the beauty, Sahil.

My experience with the RED of about 3,500kms have been extremely positive and I love how it turns heads every single time!

BUT, the lack of ACC, vanity lights, rear A/C vents and rains sensors, still poke my soul. How cheap of Mercedes, man!
Monaro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 09:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post

BUT, the lack of ACC, vanity lights, rear A/C vents and rains sensors, still poke my soul. How cheap of Mercedes, man!
That's real cheap of Mercedes - ACC, rain sensors, parking sensors - this is kit that even a 10 lac polo possesses.

When I drove the CLA in 2015 last quarter, all these bits existed. Wonder what changed now.
Old 25th September 2016, 11:02   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
i am on the foray to get a CLA200. i see there are no forward or reverse park sensors on it! Can someone help me here?

You are right, the current CLA doesn't have parking sensors. However it does have a good reverse camera.

Merc has an OEM parking sensor kit (audio only) that the dealer can install. It costs around 20-25K but I'm sure you can get this done free of cost by haggling.

Please check on whether the facelift has parking sensors. May have other feature upgrades to remain competitive.

The current CLA is a bit strange in terms of kit - love the extended thigh support, panoramic sunroof etc. However I cannot understand important omissions such as parking sensors and ACC.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:02   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Got the CLA 200 Petrol Sport in grey colour delivered 10 days ago.
Congrats! The highest gorgeousness per rupee in the history of automobile I can't even think of a distant second to be honest.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 16:09   #160
BHPian

Should I buy the CLA (Already have a C200)

Hi all,

I am considering getting the CLA Petrol but have a small confusion. We have the 2008 C200K so I am worried that it will not feel all that different since both are 2.0L Petrols. What do you guys think? Also does the FWD configuration really matter on the road?

We currently have the merc, a vento (chauffeur) and an ecosport. Do you think this is a good buy or are there any other suggestions?

Pretty confused so need your help in deciding.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th October 2016, 17:01   #161
BHPian

Re: Should I buy the CLA (Already have a C200)

This is going to be shifted over to another thread soon brother. Should've put it up under the CLA thread or the CLA vs A3 thread.

But coming to your situation at hand, i think physically they are almost identical. I think the C200 2008 model was around 4580mm in length and width was around 1770. Whereas the CLA of today is just a little longer. Only marginally. Atleast this is what a google search showed up. The engine specs are in favour of the CLA, it makes 50 more Nm of torque in comparison to your C200k. However i think thats almost identical. The CLA 200 is not breathtaking fast by any means. It is a good looking car. I think you should Test drive it and find out yourself. As for the FWD, i don't think it matters all that much. Its easier to manoeuvre around town, it feels precise and direct. Just a hint of understeer but it is not a deal breaker. Not for me atleast. I have the A and used to drive the CLA 45, although the CLA 45 is a 4 matic. The A and CLA have a lot of similarities, they are almost identical besides the boot. It'll only be a problem if you plan to drift or take it off road. Or else its all smooth sailing.

The interiors and features may be better and more in the CLA but why don't you look at the A3 instead? I guess you are looking at CLA because it comes within your budget and/or you are just a fan of the way it looks like just about everyone else. But if its only cause of the budget, the A3 could be good. Or else the Superb, Camry, new and due Accord are all, in my opinion, better than the CLA. It no doubt looks good, but it aint value for money. But in the end the Merc is a Merc. No toyota or honda comes close.

So to sum it up, unless your C200 has to go, id say don't buy the CLA. They are too identical in my eyes. Variety is good. But your TD will clear more things up for you. When you TD it, take a few family members with you and consider what they say. The ground clearance could be an issue so more people in the car will help you know its status on our roads in terms of belly scraping.
From the TD itself you'll know whether it is worth it or not. Hope this helps. Also, the CLA update is around the corner. You can expect great discounts on current gen or wait for the new model.

Happy hunting

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 12th October 2016 at 17:04.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 20:48   #162
BHPian

Re: Should I buy the CLA (Already have a C200)

Why not consider the 3 series? I think it'll pleasantly surprise you.

Also, you can check out the Endevour. Will give you a feel of a bigger, better car though without the snob value.

You can wait for the new fortuner as well which is just around the block.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 20:20   #163
BHPian

Re: Should I buy the CLA (Already have a C200)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
This is going to be shifted over to another thread soon brother. Should've put it up under the CLA thread or the CLA vs A3 thread.

But coming to your situation at hand, i think physically they are almost identical. I think the C200 2008 model was around 4580mm in length and width was around 1770. Whereas the CLA of today is just a little longer. Only marginally. Atleast this is what a google search showed up. The engine specs are in favour of the CLA, it makes 50 more Nm of torque in comparison to your C200k. However i think thats almost identical. The CLA 200 is not breathtaking fast by any means. It is a good looking car. I think you should Test drive it and find out yourself. As for the FWD, i don't think it matters all that much. Its easier to manoeuvre around town, it feels precise and direct. Just a hint of understeer but it is not a deal breaker. Not for me atleast. I have the A and used to drive the CLA 45, although the CLA 45 is a 4 matic. The A and CLA have a lot of similarities, they are almost identical besides the boot. It'll only be a problem if you plan to drift or take it off road. Or else its all smooth sailing.

The interiors and features may be better and more in the CLA but why don't you look at the A3 instead? I guess you are looking at CLA because it comes within your budget and/or you are just a fan of the way it looks like just about everyone else. But if its only cause of the budget, the A3 could be good. Or else the Superb, Camry, new and due Accord are all, in my opinion, better than the CLA. It no doubt looks good, but it aint value for money. But in the end the Merc is a Merc. No toyota or honda comes close.

So to sum it up, unless your C200 has to go, id say don't buy the CLA. They are too identical in my eyes. Variety is good. But your TD will clear more things up for you. When you TD it, take a few family members with you and consider what they say. The ground clearance could be an issue so more people in the car will help you know its status on our roads in terms of belly scraping.
From the TD itself you'll know whether it is worth it or not. Hope this helps. Also, the CLA update is around the corner. You can expect great discounts on current gen or wait for the new model.

Happy hunting
The A3 is a good car but its not the one for me. The C will stay at home and we are just planning to get an additional car at home. That is why we are considering the CLA so strongly. I did take a TD and it did feel familiar which is why I am confused but honestly the CLA's looks are hard to resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Why not consider the 3 series? I think it'll pleasantly surprise you.

Also, you can check out the Endevour. Will give you a feel of a bigger, better car though without the snob value.

You can wait for the new fortuner as well which is just around the block.
Was actually considering the 3 but its more expensive so not sure if we want to spend more on the car. Plus the Mercedes finance option is also making a lot of sense where we have to pay EMI on only around 60% of the value now. This is also one of the reasons that we are planning to go for another merc.
The big SUV's are not for me. Don't really like them.
Old 14th October 2016, 04:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
The A3 is a good car but its not the one for me. The C will stay at home and we are just planning to get an additional car at home. That is why we are considering the CLA so strongly. I did take a TD and it did feel familiar which is why I am confused but honestly the CLA's looks are hard to resist

Was actually considering the 3 but its more expensive so not sure if we want to spend more on the car. Plus the Mercedes finance option is also making a lot of sense where we have to pay EMI on only around 60% of the value now. This is also one of the reasons that we are planning to go for another merc.

The big SUV's are not for me. Don't really like them.

Have you factored in your down payment ? Once you do that it will not be 60%. It will be almost close to the value of the car. May be as close as 5-6 lakhs. You will have to give the car back in 3 years or pay the remaining 40% to keep it. Do let us know the full calculation as I am guesstimating here.
Why don't you swap your 2008 C for the new C. Will cost you a little more than the CLA but it will be money well spent.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th October 2016 at 04:46.
Old 14th October 2016, 20:33   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Have you factored in your down payment ? Once you do that it will not be 60%. It will be almost close to the value of the car. May be as close as 5-6 lakhs. You will have to give the car back in 3 years or pay the remaining 40% to keep it. Do let us know the full calculation as I am guesstimating here.
Why don't you swap your 2008 C for the new C. Will cost you a little more than the CLA but it will be money well spent.
So the downpayment to be paid is basically the road tax. The 40% & 60% are calculated on the ex-showroom price of the car so you're better of keeping the car after 3 years than returning it. If you return it, you will loose the road tax paid. I will share the exact break-up once I get it from them. Haven't received the final calculations yet.

Don't want to swap the C. It has run <30,000 Km and still feels new. Re-sale value is pathetic. So buying the new C will make it feel a bit TOO familiar

Most Viewed