Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2015, 21:16   #61
BHPian

Re: Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Hey Fellow BHPians this is my first post in the forum. I have just joined today.

I am 49 years old male and am wanting to buy a car for myself which will eventually be used by my son. The choices are
Mercedes CLA Petrol
Jaguar XE to be launched in few months

While reviewing the Threads, it seems that the prices of CLA may come down if so how long do you guys think it will take. as then i will postpone my decision but by another 4-6 months.
Alternatively should i pickup a BMW 328i from BPS if its available.
Old 22nd March 2015, 23:52   #62
BHPian

Great review Ajmat!
Quick qs - the sport variety i saw in the showroom today has a reversing camera but no reverse parking sensors per the picture you showed. Infact, those sensors were only available on the E class. Scratching my head.

Over the last few days, I've been struggling between the new C class, 3 series and now this - the CLA.
The new C class was good in most ways, except that strangely enough I felt the drivers (and in fact all the seats) were 'pushing' me out - i.e. the padding even at the mid-back level was too much. The CLA however is much better and you feel 'wanted' in the seat. That, along with the GPS, memory seats and of course lower price, are the main reasons that I've decided to go in for the CLA. The other thing with the C class was the fairly complex infotainment system with the touchpad - which to me was fairly useless and badly positioned as well. I prefer knobs/buttons.
The 3 series blew me away on the acceleration front, but thats about it - the rest (internals) feels quite dated and plasticky.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:05   #63
BHPian

And another add-on question:
I understand the difference in driving experience between the CLA petrol and diesel variants. I also understand the price difference between the 2.
What I wanted to know is the resale value price difference (say in 5-7 years) between these 2 variants. Is the difference still very large? Or should I consider the petrol as a better option overall (incl. resale value)?
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:22   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr.manish View Post
Hey Fellow BHPians this is my first post in the forum. I have just joined today.

I am 49 years old male and am wanting to buy a car for myself which will eventually be used by my son. The choices are
Mercedes CLA Petrol
Jaguar XE to be launched in few months

While reviewing the Threads, it seems that the prices of CLA may come down if so how long do you guys think it will take. as then i will postpone my decision but by another 4-6 months.
Alternatively should i pickup a BMW 328i from BPS if its available.
Pick up the 328i, it give you more thrills than the CLA can in any way. It is larger, and better loaded and of course far better to drive. Its a no brainer in my opinion. Jaguar is one brand I would not touch anytime soon in India, as good as their cars may be.
Old 14th May 2015, 22:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shethsa View Post
That, along with the GPS, memory seats and of course lower price, are the main reasons that I've decided to go in for the CLA.
So did you finally end up getting a CLA? If so please share the details, discounts, offers and the trim ?A review would be great too!

Look forward to hearing how the buying experience went.
Old 14th May 2015, 22:51   #66
BHPian

Nope. Not yet. Probably in a couple of months. Let's see how the pricing on the c class ckd works out as well.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Pick up the 328i, it give you more thrills than the CLA can in any way. It is larger, and better loaded and of course far better to drive. Its a no brainer in my opinion. Jaguar is one brand I would not touch anytime soon in India, as good as their cars may be.
328i has been discontinued in India (and soon in global markets as well). It will be replaced by the new LCI with BMWs new modular engines in the global market and numbers will be 330i and 340i (3L V6). It is expected that the 330i and 340i will have 20+ hp increase over the outgoing 328i and 335i. BMW never brought the 335i to India and is very unlikely to bring in the 340i either. The India 328i was fully optioned (had even some features from the 530d) and so was more expensive than the base 520d and as a result sold in very few numbers. But yes, it was an awesome car.

BMW says they are launching 15 new models this year, so maybe they will bring in both the 320i (with the new modular engine) and 330i. Hopefully the 330i will be available with some customisable options so that the price would be reasonable. It really would be worth it to wait for the 330i - expected 270 bhp.

For sure the 320d LCI will also get the new modular B47 engines which is supposed to be a much more refined and fuel efficient unit with marginally higher power/torque numbers. All LED lights, slight changes to the front and better interiors will be part of the new 3 series mid-model refresh.

It remains to be seen whether BMW brings down their pricing to some realistic levels - should be possible with increased localisation and fall in the euro and can then regain their market share - or not.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 15th May 2015 at 12:44.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:50   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
328i has been discontinued in India (and soon in global markets as well). It will be replaced by the new LCI with BMWs new modular engines in the global market and numbers will be 330i and 340i (3L V6). It is expected that the 330i and 340i will have 20+ hp increase over the outgoing 328i and 335i. BMW never brought the 335i to India and is very unlikely to bring in the 340i either. The India 328i was fully optioned (had even some features from the 530d) and so was more expensive than the base 520d and as a result sold in very few numbers. But yes, it was an awesome car.

BMW says they are launching 15 new models this year, so maybe they will bring in both the 320i (with the new modular engine) and 330i. Hopefully the 330i will be available with some customisable options so that the price would be reasonable. It really would be worth it to wait for the 330i - expected 270 bhp.

For sure the 320d LCI will also get the new modular B47 engines which is supposed to be a much more refined and fuel efficient unit with marginally higher power/torque numbers. All LED lights, slight changes to the front and better interiors will be part of the new 3 series mid-model refresh.

It remains to be seen whether BMW brings down their pricing to some realistic levels - should be possible with increased localisation and fall in the euro and can then regain their market share - or not.
I had suggested the 328i since the person I quoted said he had the option of buying it.

BMW seems to have discontinued most petrol options in India, the 328i being included.

330i will have a new version of the 2.0 litre engine doing duty in the 328i. It will be called the B48, and yes expected power bump is 20hp to about 265. This will only happen next year though, not sure if they will name it the 330i or continue with 328i before that happens.

340i will have an inline 6, again an all new engine the b58 with power up to 320hp.

The b47 engine, which will be in the 20d can already be experienced in the facelifted X3, where it is noticeable more silent and refined than the previous one.
Old 15th May 2015, 13:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I had suggested the 328i since the person I quoted said he had the option of buying it.
Of course if one is able to get a sparingly used 328i or a new one albeit an older model year at a good discount, by all means I think it is a great car. The N20 engine was engine of the year for 2-3 years and the combo of N20 with 245 BHP and the new ZF 8 speed GB is beyond compare, even today.

It is sad that BMW is discontinuing their petrol options because their new B48 series engines are also very good. But I guess with India's preference for diesel, they had limited options.
Old 28th May 2015, 14:56   #70
BHPian

Has Mercedes commenced CKD on the CLA? I read somewhere that CLA is currently a CKD but I have my doubts about the same. Would be of great help if anyone has an idea.
Old 25th June 2015, 07:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Has Mercedes commenced CKD on the CLA? I read somewhere that CLA is currently a CKD but I have my doubts about the same. Would be of great help if anyone has an idea.
I'm informed that the CLA is very much a CBU- Made in Hungary.

Somehow I'd prefer a CBU (Completely Built Unit) over CKD (Completely Knocked Down Unit). Agreed that the CBU has to be imported; is subject to greater taxes and excise duties; compared to a CKD.

But; a CBU offers that ''imported car'' feel.

Loved the CLA- but for some reason; it does not seem Benz enough. Hardly your traditional; pukka Mercedes.

P.S: The GLA is a CKD now. First MFA Platform car to be assembled in India; I guess.
Old 25th June 2015, 23:01   #72
BHPian

Mercedes CLA-Class : A New chapter Begins....

Super review, as always, on point!

I've picked up a Mountain Grey CLA250, albeit in the States and will share my two cents soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review-img_5058.jpg  

Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review-cla-top.jpg  

Old 27th July 2015, 08:40   #73
Team-BHP Support

Crossposting from the A3 Review

I love the pert looks of the A3, I like the hatch version a lot. After my CLA review, i also needed to drive the A3 so I arranged for a drive last saturday. Considering , I drive its older cousin the Jetta, some brief comparo's

Interiors - The CLA has it beaten for "feeling good" However, if one is claustrophobic, the A3 wins. The A3 was very easy to feel at home in and visibility was far superior. It is the better town car. The CLA needs time to adapt to the thick C pillars

Refinement - The A3 is better than the CLA diesel and much better than the Jetta

Transmission - the A3 has a slight lag after slowing down for a turn. I felt the CLA was much more responsive but A3 downshifts much easily

Steering - the A3 steering was pin-sharp, more precise than the Octavia and Merc. What is misses out was on feel. The Merc has more feel. The Jetta feels much more heavier. You felt more connected with these two

Handling - The A3 was extremely chuckable and a great city car. The Merc is also accurate but what you lose in accuracy, you gain in feel. The Jetta felt a bit clunky at low speeds. The Skoda Octavia is left far behind with its inferior rear suspension

Ride- A3 - Firm but supple. CLA - firm - slightly sharp

Performance- The A3 owns this as a diesel. The Merc is better as a petrol IMHO

Value - Merc has a more Zazzy interior, more features in its COMAND, a larger sunroof. The Audi, well made has fewer feature. The MMI screen is a bit of a farce unless you go for the top end Technologys for the rear view camera and navigation. Why? All the functions displayed on the MMI screen in the lesser variants are available in the Jetta or Octavia

Summarising

Who wins - A3 Vs CLA?

Petrol - CLA, Diesel - A3

Would you buy an A3?

Knowing its all MQB underneath, you are left wondering why would one pay a 65% for what is 80% the same car underneath. If it was positioned 20% more than the equivalent Skoda/ Golf as it is abroad, I would have bitten!
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 02:56   #74
BHPian

Good day!

I was earlier looking at a Volvo V40 R-Design but am inching towards the CLA. On road pricing for the CLA Style comes to around 40L while the CLA Sport is around 44L. Any idea when the CKD production kicks in for the CLA Style? The GLA CKD has been slashed by Rs 1.5 Lakhs. Can we expect a better pricing for CLA? Thoughts from the industry personnel would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 26th August 2015, 14:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Can we expect a better pricing for CLA? Thoughts from the industry personnel would be very helpful. Thanks.
Does'nt seem to be on cards till first quarter next year, got this information from a sales representative at T&T motors, delhi.

Most Viewed