Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2016, 07:46   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
After having a good long conversation with my dad regarding considering the CLA petrol as an upgrade from the jetta, And he completely said,"First of all its not an upgrade", Sure it might be in some ways, But the jetta offers a lot at half of the price of the CLA, Sure 180PS of petrol power is good, To which my dad clearly said remap the jetta and get proper shoes, If not more you would get performance close to what the CLA petrol offers, Even the length of the car, The space inside, It just can't be justified and in the end, He is right in every way! So the struggle to find the,"Proper" upgrade from the jetta continues, If nothing comes up in the next few months, Ill have to settle with a pre worshipped 530D, Lets see how things goes, For now let me shatter the dreams of owning the Red CLA Petrol..
I can relate to your sentiment Tanveer. I was completely sold on the CLA 200 thanks to its looks, but the lack of overall practicality seems to be a deal breaker. Also I didn't find the performance that great (maybe it was the slow gearbox).

I am looking at the good old 320d as an alternative. Will decide in a week or so.

But the interior quality and overall drama of the CLA is miles ahead of the 3 😞
Carmageddon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 08:10   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post
I can relate to your sentiment Tanveer. I was completely sold on the CLA 200 thanks to its looks, but the lack of overall practicality seems to be a deal breaker. Also I didn't find the performance that great (maybe it was the slow gearbox).
I drove the CLA extensively during December. I was willing to accept the cramped interior and the slow gearbox. However the deal breaker for me were the bucket seats. Simply put, I could not find a perfect driving position in them and they were plain uncomfortable.

When you buy a car like this, it is a given that it will be a weekend/getaway car and you will do a lot of miles in them on outstation trips. You more or less will have a beater for the city. When you are not comfortable for long durations in the car, it simply is a no sale for me.

Ended up buying a Volvo which had a much faster gearbox, 20 bhp more power, ultra comfy seats, a more practical boot with the spare where it is supposed to be and was a whole 11 lacs less. What it lacks compared to the CLA is bling.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th July 2016 at 08:11.
reignofchaos is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 10:10   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Ended up buying a Volvo which had a much faster gearbox, 20 bhp more power, ultra comfy seats, a more practical boot with the spare where it is supposed to be and was a whole 11 lacs less. What it lacks compared to the CLA is bling.
OT for this thread, but sir - I tried looking up a Volvo thread from you, but didn't fine any. Can you please guide me to the same if you have penned one down?
Old 19th July 2016, 16:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the struggle to find the,"Proper" upgrade from the jetta continues, If nothing comes up in the next few months, Ill have to settle with a pre worshipped 530D.
You poor lamb. Please accept my condolences, no one should have to settle for that mighty 3 liter engine after considering the 2 liter petrol CLA.

Your dad's absolutely right though, all jokes aside. I get where he's coming from when he says the CLA isn't an upgrade. In my opinion, a 530d with a warranty and BSI is the far better alternative and the proper upgrade to a Jetta. Time to think beyond 2 liter engines!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 01:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post

I am looking at the good old 320d as an alternative. Will decide in a week or so.

But the interior quality and overall drama of the CLA is miles ahead of the 3 😞
Since i have used 320d as well, I have another car out of the buying lot now! Yes CLA has amazing looks, But the diesel version is just SHOW no GO, And petrol crossing isn't really worth it, Dad filled in some sense in me and made me look at the reality over the looks of the car, Dad's are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
OT for this thread, but sir - I tried looking up a Volvo thread from you, but didn't fine any. Can you please guide me to the same if you have penned one down?
I am actually considering the Volvo as well, Quite a few out there, Powerful, Rare, Red and blue colours are drool worthy, Only thing scares me is the after sales and something my dad doesn't like is the brand image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
You poor lamb. Please accept my condolences, no one should have to settle for that mighty 3 liter engine after considering the 2 liter petrol CLA.

Your dad's absolutely right though, all jokes aside. I get where he's coming from when he says the CLA isn't an upgrade. In my opinion, a 530d with a warranty and BSI is the far better alternative and the proper upgrade to a Jetta. Time to think beyond 2 liter engines!
Haha, Yes is he absolutely right, Specially after a remap this 2 Litre will pack a punch and to actually upgrade from that totally means to get more displacement under the hood, 530D with BSI is the strongest contender, Can't seem to find any other good option.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 06:20   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am actually considering the Volvo as well, Quite a few out there, Powerful, Rare, Red and blue colours are drool worthy, Only thing scares me is the after sales and something my dad doesn't like is the brand image.

Within 3 years, Volvo's image will change judging by the new models rolling out. Their service network is reported to be good but sparse that will change once a new dealership is deemed viable with higher volumes.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 12:33   #127
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes CLA-Class : Official Review

Tanveer,

As a proud Jetta owner, I can understand your predicament. It is a very difficult car to upgrade from - in a way, it has everything that you'll need or desire in an executive premium sedan - a good punchy diesel engine, ride-handling package, classy understated looks (unless you belong to the 'fluidic' clan☺️), good space, and decent reliability.

What is it that the Jetta really lacks? Apart from a premium badge and (to a lesser extent) interior quality (and design), I can't think of anything else. Mind you, the badge pull is a very strong reason in itself. All the entry luxury cars from the luxury car manufacturers - the c class, 3 series, XE, or the upcoming A4 are all similarly sized too, so no size advantage either.

If I were looking to upgrade from Jetta today, I'd like look at pre owned Audi A6 3.0 - pretty much everything you love about Jetta in a bigger package, with great snob value, and a superlative 3 litre engine. One thing I do look for when considering pre owned is the next gen cycle. With the 5, you'll get a completely new model in the market soon and then you'll have this feeling that you are stuck with a older gen car. See to it that you are okay with the impending new 5er. Else, wait for the new A4, c class to get a couple of years old and then pick up a used one...I get this impression that while you feel the urge to upgrade, you actually don't need one😏

PS: I'll be direct buddy, the CLA doesn't seem like an upgrade.It is a bit of boy racer car - so, while it can be your 3rd, 4th car in the garage, it makes little sense as a daily drive..unless you drive alone all the time. For e.g you can't really tour in it - it has horrible back seats, and no boot space. Having said that, it is one of the best looking sedan money can buy today. Period.

Cheers
Abhi

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 20th July 2016 at 12:40.
Old 20th July 2016, 13:27   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Within 3 years, Volvo's image will change judging by the new models rolling out. Their service network is reported to be good but sparse that will change once a new dealership is deemed viable with higher volumes.
Yes but by 3 years from today i would have bought and sold the car again, I don't plan to keep one of my car for more than 2 years, Jetta has already completed 2 years and i really can't narrow down to an upgrade, Dad isn't a fan of the brand image that Volvo carries here, Frankly all people know about volvo is that they have buses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Tanveer,

As a proud Jetta owner, I can understand your predicament. It is a very difficult car to upgrade from - in a way, it has everything that you'll need or desire in an executive premium sedan - a good punchy diesel engine, ride-handling package, classy understated looks (unless you belong to the 'fluidic' clan☺️), good space, and decent reliability.
Seriously, Looks is something very important for me, I would never buy a car if i don't find it nice for my own eyes, Honestly i prefer the understate looks, Clean simple lines, It makes a car look more mature and elegant, "Fluidic" definitely not my taste.

Quote:
What is it that the Jetta really lacks? Apart from a premium badge and (to a lesser extent) interior quality (and design), I can't think of anything else. Mind you, the badge pull is a very strong reason in itself. All the entry luxury cars from the luxury car manufacturers - the c class, 3 series, XE, or the upcoming A4 are all similarly sized too, so no size advantage either.
I know, Its the over all package the Jetta provides, Plus after installing the self parking i love it even more.

Quote:
If I were looking to upgrade from Jetta today, I'd like look at pre owned Audi A6 3.0 - pretty much everything you love about Jetta in a bigger package, with great snob value, and a superlative 3 litre engine. One thing I do look for when considering pre owned is the next gen cycle. With the 5, you'll get a completely new model in the market soon and then you'll have this feeling that you are stuck with a older gen car. See to it that you are okay with the impending new 5er. Else, wait for the new A4, c class to get a couple of years old and then pick up a used one...I get this impression that while you feel the urge to upgrade, you actually don't need one😏
Hardly used 3 TDI for A6 is hard to come by, And getting a german which is used for more than 30,000 kms can be a risk i am not willing to take, Even the New A4 is out of the question, I need a car little more longer now with a little more backseat comfort from the jetta.

Quote:
PS: I'll be direct buddy, the CLA doesn't seem like an upgrade.It is a bit of boy racer car - so, while it can be your 3rd, 4th car in the garage, it makes little sense as a daily drive..unless you drive alone all the time. For e.g you can't really tour in it - it has horrible back seats, and no boot space. Having said that, it is one of the best looking sedan money can buy today. Period.
Yes indeed, Even for that occasional trips within the city my parents would have, They would curse me for making them sit at the back seat, But yes it sure does, "Look" good.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:21   #129

Getting the CLA is purely an all heart decision. Atleast it was for me and now living with it for 6 months I dnt regret it even one bit! I can live happily with all its flaws just to ogle at it from my window parked in the driveway. It turns heads no matter where i go
Well i asked myself only one question before I got it what am I looking for, if its value and practicality then there are clearly a lot of better options. But, if it's a badge you want to flaunt in one of the most gorgeous car u can buy in India and feel good about it then, yes, the CLA is just the ticket! I think i am in love
sakets is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 15:35   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's small, it's overpriced...yet this is a car that just makes you w-a-n-t it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of how a CLA would fit in my garage. The car has an air of desirability around it.

I didn't expect the CLA petrol to be so competent, but was pleasantly surprised after driving it. The styling is just wow (especially in person), and the sheer quality blew me away. This, and all that equipment, adds to the 'feel good' factor. In the area of engineering too, the turbo-petrol feels sorted and the all-round experience was nice.

Also, there is no way this can be the only car of the house. The rear seat is way too cramped for the multi-purpose usage our rides go through (family, school, airport, holiday drives) and the boot is useless with that spare tyre strapped in. As the only car, I'd pick a Jetta or Octavia over this. On the other hand, the CLA is a sweet 2nd / 3rd / 4th car in a rich man's house.
While I certainly don't consider myself a rich man but I do consider myself fortunate man to have the CLA join my garage as the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th car. This one will be replacing our worst purchase ever - The Skoda Superb 1.8TSi. Although the CLA isn't an obvious or logical replacement to the Superb, our Superb was bought for my younger sister who likes to self drive hence the back seat wasn't used as much.
I was very keen to get the LCI 320d prestige which is well priced, well discount and well loaded with features. We did some rigorous test drives by getting all cars together on a sunday new X1, GLA, CLA, Volvo XC60 as she was first inclined to a small SUV as her preference. Once the CLA came she was smitten to go for a "coupe sedan" instead. Then we test drove the 3 luxury line, then the prestige and decided on the latter. MB guy insisted I test the petrol as I wasn't impressed with the CLA200 diesel so we decided to get the 320d prestige back for a side by side comparison with the CLA 200 petrol sport. My weeks of brainwashing her for the 320d prestige went out the window, she just had to have the CLA, was way too smitten beyond my control.
Finally managed to pull some strings and got the CLA for approx the same ex-showroom as the 320d prestige after discounts.
Booked the mountain grey with beige interior MY2016 CLA200 Sport which has a few minor changes such as additional driving modes and under thigh support for front seats which is a boon. Awaiting delivery next weekend on her birthday.

Fortunately we also have the Altis as our 5th car to compensate some practicality in the garage along with the Fortuner that helps add utility amongst the other 3 germans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakets View Post
Getting the CLA is purely an all heart decision. Atleast it was for me and now living with it for 6 months I dnt regret it even one bit! I can live happily with all its flaws just to ogle at it from my window parked in the driveway. It turns heads no matter where i go
Well i asked myself only one question before I got it what am I looking for, if its value and practicality then there are clearly a lot of better options. But, if it's a badge you want to flaunt in one of the most gorgeous car u can buy in India and feel good about it then, yes, the CLA is just the ticket! I think i am in love
I completely agree with your sentiment (or shall I say my sister agrees with it), the CLA is purely a heart decision. There are far more component and practical and faster options at the same price that bring in far more value but none will make you feel as special as the CLA.

I believe with CLA also comes with MB run flats MOE, I am curious to know if they are good on comfort? I have always swapped my runflats for regular tubeless tyres on delivery as my tyre shop does the exchange for free. Do let me know your frank opinion on this ?

Last edited by Sahil : 6th August 2016 at 15:43.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 15:47   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
While I certainly don't consider myself a rich man but I do consider myself fortunate man to have the CLA join my garage as the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th car. This one will be replacing our worst purchase ever - The Skoda Superb 1.8TSi. Although the CLA isn't an obvious or logical replacement to the Superb, our Superb was bought for my younger sister who likes to self drive hence the back seat wasn't used as much.
Congratulations!!! After long debates, as expected, your sister signs with CLA. It is a beautiful car, easy to drive for daily commute.
Fstlndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 19:12   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Booked the mountain grey with beige interior MY2016 CLA200 Sport which has a few minor changes such as additional driving modes and under thigh support for front seats which is a boon.
Congrats on the new Car. Does this come with LED headlamps as standard now ?
Quote:
I am curious to know if they are good on comfort?
Well, by my limited drives on this in AMG guise and other reviews elsewhere, these are anything far from comfortable. The ride is mostly harsh but given her age it should be fine. I think she made correct decision, 3 series more common and CLA has a lot fewer customers due to practical issues as discussed here. choosing CLA as primarily or the only car is going to be a tough decision.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th August 2016 at 19:14.
Old 6th August 2016, 20:48   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats on the new Car. Does this come with LED headlamps as standard now ?
Thanks Turbanator.

No it doesn't come with full LED headlamps. It has LED for DRLs and Turn signals but the main headlight is xenon.
The facelift might come with full LED headlamps and have those a more fluidic LED DRL's like the C and facelifted A class. The facelift doesn't seem to bring much change from international pics and frankly I prefer the current LED DRL's which are similar to the new S style. Moreover, I couldn't wait for the facelift given that her birthday is next weekend nor would I have got the 10% discount on ex-showroom price for this.
Old 6th August 2016, 22:43   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
nor would I have got the 10% discount on ex-showroom price for this
Of course not, rather the way other manufacturers are increasing prices, Mercedes might actually increase the prices as well by the time they launch new one.
By the way, did you guys had a look at Mini ? with the recent price cut and discounts it can also be an alternative worth considering. I can also recommend you a BMW pre-owned with less than 700 Km, with all possible gizmos at around 32- Lac or so

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th August 2016 at 22:47.
Old 7th August 2016, 16:39   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Of course not, rather the way other manufacturers are increasing prices, Mercedes might actually increase the prices as well by the time they launch new one.
By the way, did you guys had a look at Mini ? with the recent price cut and discounts it can also be an alternative worth considering. I can also recommend you a BMW pre-owned with less than 700 Km, with all possible gizmos at around 32- Lac or so
We bought one of the last few CKD Mini Countryman for around the same price as the CLA about a year and a half ago and is used by another family member but my sister didn't like it much. Finds the mini too retro and very go-kart like, don't see how that's a bad thing but you can't argue with girls and their choices

The CLA fits her criteria because it gives loads of style, great luxury and contemporary feel. The rimless doors, Merc steering mounted gear lever and panaromic sunroof were the other smaller yet significant deal makers for her.

Last edited by Sahil : 7th August 2016 at 16:44.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks