Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 23:19   #331
BHPian

Re: Renault Lodgy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Does anyone know if all Renault dealerships in Bangalore share the same common stock pool ?
Don't know if they share the same stock, but IIRC all Renault showrooms in Bangalore belong to Trident Auto, so they might.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 14:09   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsank78 View Post
Attachment 1483869

Replaced the head unit with Blaupunkt Cape Town 940 model with headrest monitors. Its an awesome system, but I still need to learn more than have the features.
Hi Ehsankk78! Does it integrate with the steering mounted controls as well?

Last edited by Masda : 5th May 2016 at 14:11.
Old 5th May 2016, 20:06   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Hi Ehsankk78! Does it integrate with the steering mounted controls as well?
Lodgy does not have steering mounted controls. It does have the side stick behind the steering. Yes it works fine in mine. Not sure if there was any additional accessory needed.
Ehsank78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 18:32   #334
BHPian

Folks,

While I'm sure no one can do a crystal ball, but I'm hoping that folks who have deep insights into how resale market and customer demand for used cars work, could you share your views about potential resale value of Lodgy in say 5 years ?

The incredibly lucrative offers are compelling me to consider Lodgy, which otherwise had scored very high in my personal evaluation in terms of drivability, ride-comfort, power i.e. in almost all technical/feature departments. However, the resellability is a big worry, especially in view of uncertain future of diesel vehicles (even though this is well below the 2000 cc current benchmark applied in Delhi by NGT). Unless there is a heavy uptake of this vehicle by cabbies, the resale would probably be pretty bad. Even outside India, Lodgy sales don't seem to be stellar. Also, if Renault doesn't come out with the new 2016 model (that are supposed to be cabbie friendly, and with AMT etc.), with zero inventory, this may be the death-knell. Otherwise, I don't mind keeping a car for it's nearly-full useful life (10+ years), to maximize value. What do you say ?

Thanks in anticipation.

cheers,
BD

Last edited by bdutta : 6th May 2016 at 18:34.
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 19:47   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

While I'm sure no one can do a crystal ball, but I'm hoping that folks who have deep insights into how resale market and customer demand for used cars work, could you share your views about potential resale value of Lodgy in say 5 years ?

The incredibly lucrative offers are compelling me to consider Lodgy, which otherwise had scored very high in my personal evaluation in terms of drivability, ride-comfort, power i.e. in almost all technical/feature departments. However, the resellability is a big worry, especially in view of uncertain future of diesel vehicles (even though this is well below the 2000 cc current benchmark applied in Delhi by NGT). Unless there is a heavy uptake of this vehicle by cabbies, the resale would probably be pretty bad. Even outside India, Lodgy sales don't seem to be stellar. Also, if Renault doesn't come out with the new 2016 model (that are supposed to be cabbie friendly, and with AMT etc.), with zero inventory, this may be the death-knell. Otherwise, I don't mind keeping a car for it's nearly-full useful life (10+ years), to maximize value. What do you say ?

Thanks in anticipation.

cheers,
BD
Hi BD,

I am not an expert in predicting resale value so I may not be able to to help you there. But since I am also looking for a 7 seater, and have considered Lodgy as well, I will share my thought process, and maybe it will help.

If I am buying a car for the long term (10 yrs), I wouldn't worry too much about the resale value. 10 yrs is a long time and almost all cars depreciate to a small percentage of their purchase price by then. Even if the price differential between popular brand and not-so-popular brand (that I bought) in this segment turns out to be Rs 60-80,000 at resale, I will be happy. For me it is more important that I enjoyed a car that I liked for 10 yrs, instead of having a car with higher resale.
What I would be concerned about though, is the longevity of the brand in India. At this point Renault seems to be doing well: Kwid has seen great success, and Duster is holding up with some consistent(although not great) numbers. Renault has also been investing in refreshing the products and introducing new features like AMT. I think they are here to stay.

Of course, my philosophy could be flawed and may not work for everyone.

I am also looking for a 7 seater, as I mentioned earlier, and when I took a test drive of Lodgy, I was impressed by the ride comfort, proven engine and interior space. Although I have been leaning towards petrol, and Lodgy has no petrol option, I have still kept it in my shortlist. The upcoming AMT on Lodgy could be the cherry on cake.

If you don't mind, could you please share the discounts that are being offered on Lodgy? Please PM me if you don't prefer to share on the forum.

Thanks and wish you all the best in your car search
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 20:09   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
If I am buying a car for the long term (10 yrs), I wouldn't worry too much about the resale value. 10 yrs is a long time and almost all cars depreciate to a small percentage of their purchase price by then. Even if the price differential between popular brand and not-so-popular brand (that I bought) in this segment turns out to be Rs 60-80,000 at resale, I will be happy. For me it is more important that I enjoyed a car that I liked for 10 yrs, instead of having a car with higher resale.
Firstly, thanks for sharing your views, they certainly help. The only car that I've owned for more than 10yrs, is a Wagon-R, and I've happy to note that it has held it's resale value better than my other car that is a Logan (but for very obvious reasons). Completely agree that if one is going to own a car for 10yrs, then enjoying it thoroughly for 10yrs is more important. However, is the resale value difference just 60-80k ? Is so that isn't such a high price to pay for 10years of comfort.

Quote:
What I would be concerned about though, is the longevity of the brand in India. At this point Renault seems to be doing well: Kwid has seen great success, and Duster is holding up with some consistent(although not great) numbers. Renault has also been investing in refreshing the products and introducing new features like AMT. I think they are here to stay.
That indeed is the much bigger worry which I failed to note, and agree with your observations. However, Renault seems to be talking about product refresh and AMT for a while now, and launch seems to be getting pushed back, perhaps due to the stellar success of Kwid, which is keeping them very busy. I seriously hope that they are here to stay.

Quote:
If you don't mind, could you please share the discounts that are being offered on Lodgy?
If you scroll back a page or two you'd notice few posts about the discounts. The models & colour options are very limited, and all of it is stock from pre Oct'2015 manufacturing. Apparently, not a single Lodgy has been manufactured since then. The discounts are upto 3Lac on the on-road price... depending on the model.
Old 7th May 2016, 12:02   #337
BHPian

Quote:
However, is the resale value difference just 60-80k ? Is so that isn't such a high price to pay for 10years of comfort.
I should say here that if you compare with Innova, the equations would be different. Innova's resale values are an exception.
You may also use the Team BHP's used car price checker tool, or sites like OLX to compare 10 yr used cars across brands to get an idea of how resale values compare.

Quote:
If you scroll back a page or two you'd notice few posts about the discounts. The models & colour options are very limited, and all of it is stock from pre Oct'2015 manufacturing. Apparently, not a single Lodgy has been manufactured since then. The discounts are upto 3Lac on the on-road price... depending on the model.
Thanks for the info. This is indeed tempting for a very competent car.
mustang_shelby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 13:24   #338
Senior - BHPian

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-renaultclioelectronicfaultwarninglight.jpg

Last week, while on a 200kms highway drive, this light suddenly flashed in my Lodgy. It flashed for a brief second in amber and vanished. If I was looking elsewhere, I would've missed it. I was actually shifting from 4th to 5th and as soon as this light flashed, there was a momentary loss of power. Immediately, I reduced my speed and drove at 40-50 km/h to check if the problem repeats itself. I didn't want to alarm my family just yet and under the pretense of taking a break , I quickly parked the car and asked my family to have something to drink while I poured through the Renault manual to find what this light meant.

The manual's explanation was very vague and it stated that if the light glowed red, I need to stop immediately and if it glowed amber, I can drive, albeit at a slow pace. In my case, it just flashed once and that's it. After the break, resumed our journey with no problem and was back home that same night.

The next day, while I was driving around the city, this light suddenly flashed again and this time the loss of power was immense but it regained quickly. Now, the flashing light was more frequent with loss of power. Thankfully, I was somewhere close to the service centre and decided to drive down there.

As they always say, when the mechanic took a test drive, that instance never happened and everything was perfectly fine. They tried to convince me that there wasn't a problem but I stood my ground. After a lot of hesitation and truck load of excuses they booked my vehicle in. The next day, the service engineer called and said that a rat had chewed off an entire bunch of cables from the alternator and that's why the electronic malfunction light had flashed.

I read in many Renault forums that this particular light was the most difficult to diagnose because the fault could be lying anywhere; it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. To the service centre's credit, the engineers did an amazing job at zeroing down on the problem and they not only rectified it, but also threw in a free wash with it. The best bit is they didn't charge me for it! This is the second time I've experienced this goodwill gesture, the previous one being swapping a burnt headlamp with a new one. What I find here is that the mechanics inside who actually do the job are real experts but the service advisors outside are the lousy ones. Well, that's something for another day but for now, I'm one happy customer.

I took my time to write this as I wanted to ensure that the problem was completely taken care of and indeed they have. It's been more than a week with over 500 kms put in and no issues.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:48   #339
BHPian

BTW, new babe to this mix is the Honda BR-V. Alas, just as I completed booking formalities of Lodgy RXZ.
Old 12th May 2016, 21:40   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks in anticipation.

cheers,
BD
I too own a lodgy and even before I booked it I told my dad clearly that the resale would be pretty bad. If your going to make a long term (8 years +) then blindly go for it. Trust me Lodgy is a decision you will not regret.
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 09:59   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_in View Post
I too own a lodgy and even before I booked it I told my dad clearly that the resale would be pretty bad. If your going to make a long term (8 years +) then blindly go for it. Trust me Lodgy is a decision you will not regret.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. Booked a 85PS RXZ, after some last minute jitters due to launch of Honda BR-V... Eventually put to rest as I don't think any MPV in this range (+/- 20% in price) has the comfort level in 2nd and 3rd row that Lodgy has, while being able to fit in 5 ppl in those seats.

My only remaining concern (hopefully misplaced) is that Renault might discontinue the Lodgy. I hope that they do come out with new trims, AMT etc. Else parts availability becomr a concern.

BTW can anyone tell if aftermarket roof racks/carriers, real bumper bull guards, side claddings etc are available or not? Dealership is giving a measly 5% disc on some highly overpriced accessories.

Last edited by bdutta : 14th May 2016 at 10:05.
Old 14th May 2016, 10:28   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your opinion. Booked a 85PS RXZ, after some last minute jitters due to launch of Honda BR-V... Eventually put to rest as I don't think any MPV in this range (+/- 20% in price) has the comfort level in 2nd and 3rd row that Lodgy has, while being able to fit in 5 ppl in those seats.

My only remaining concern (hopefully misplaced) is that Renault might discontinue the Lodgy. I hope that they do come out with new trims, AMT etc. Else parts availability becomr a concern.

BTW can anyone tell if aftermarket roof racks/carriers, real bumper bull guards, side claddings etc are available or not? Dealership is giving a measly 5% disc on some highly overpriced accessories.
Hey,

Congrats on your booking

And regarding the availability of after market goods, roof carriers and bull guards are available. I'm not sure about the claddings though. If you want to get a god idea about the rear bull bar check out my ownership review.

Waiting to hear about your delivery soon
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 13:20   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your booking and wishing you many happy Lodgycal miles! It's a robust vehicle and takes a certain amount of abuse in its stride.

The Trip
Just sharing a mini trip report I did with my family to Munnar from Chennai. Started from Chennai at 4:30 AM and reached Munnar at 2 PM. The drive was leisurely and this time I extensively used cruise control. To be honest, I don't think I'll buy another MPV without cruise control. It's such a boon to use in the highway and the benefits are:

i) Helps me drive at a sane speed, without rapid acceleration, deceleration. Stuck to 110 kmph during the day and 90-100 kmph during the night

ii) Gives my ankle a good rest and helps the overall ergonomics.

iii) Exponential increase in mileage. In the city, mileage never crosses 11 or 12 kmpl. In the highway with cruise control, I had a good 18 kmpl, which is pretty decent.

iv) It's an aural treat to hear that constant K9K engine thrum; harks back to the days I used to travel in omni buses. Those drivers usually maintain a steady speed and that constant throaty exhaust (Ashok Leyland) is something I enjoyed as a kid.

v) I find myself more relaxed, with little to no stress. Also, at the end of a journey, I'm more brisk and agile.

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-20160511dsc03440.jpg

Shortly after Bodi, the winding roads start and the Lodgy made good progress. Hill roads are in great shape all the way to Munnar but half way through, they become a single lane narrow road making it challenging and dangerous. Every turn on that single lane keeps your heart racing and if a truck or a bus comes by, it's a literal hair line space between us. As is always the case, I hire a taxi or even better an auto to go around places; this way, I get to enjoy the place too without being tied up with driving and find parking spots. Didn't go to the usual suspects but made it a point to visit Kozhugumalai, which is a tea plantation hill nestled within a private tea estate. Only Jeeps ply these routes and no private cars are allowed, due to the terrain and also to keep the blokes driving Jeeps in business.

The drive to Kozhugumalai begins from a small town called Chinnakanal. Reached Chinnakanal by taxi and then boarded a booked Jeep. I was expecting some off-roading but didn't expect what was waiting later. After about 10 kms into the drive, the terrain suddenly changes and now, there are absolutely no roads to speak of. Just rocks and stones jutting out of mini pathways carved in-between those tea plantations. The jittery wobbly uphill ride starts here and continues for the next 20 kms. If you have a bad back or spine conditions, please stay away from this one. I couldn't even click pics as I was unable to hold the camera and was wary of dropping it. I just couldn't imagine the abuse these vehicles go through and it was a literal shaky crawl all the way to the top. Once you reach the top, you realise all that trouble was worth it for the breathtaking views. But, then, the impending ride downhill through the same path will give you the shivers! Well, I would never do this stretch again and it's a once in a lifetime visit. That said, we returned with a sense of accomplishment. Pity the drivers though, who do this stretch 3 times a day!

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-20160511dsc03422.jpg

The next day, had a relaxed morning, hired an auto and went to a spice plantation. One reason I hire an auto is to see other cars struggle/tackle the inclines and also watch how buses struggle in their crawler gear to clear a steep incline. I'm weird, I know! Well, the spice tour was nothing great but got to see numerous cars tackling steep inclines and some burning their clutch in the process of making it to the top.

The same day, at noon time, had our lunch and packed our baggages. Started off from Munnar at around 1:30 PM and started our descent down. The initial 10 kms of the descent is not descent but an uphill climb. Really enjoyed the torque of the K9K tackling these inclines and I found the cold mountain air giving it better boost. Temperature was hovering around 15 deg and it was pretty cool, this time of the year. As soon as we reached Tamilnad border checkpost, it was downhill all the way. While going downhill, I'm at my slowest, to save the brakes and also to let gravity keep the momentum. I let everyone behind me pass by.

Reached Theni at around 4 PM and had tea and snacks. From Theni, being a 2 lane road, maintained a steady 90 kmph. This time I let everyone pass by and to be honest, it was restful, stress free and the whole drive was more enjoyable. I realised, overtaking and speeding doesn't prove anything to anyone but it's only me who's ending up jeopardising my safety and the vehicle's. That said, I did overtake ultra slow moving cars but unlike my previous drives, wasn't involved in any unspoken racing with other cars. Reached Trichy at around 8 PM. Missed a newly built bridge that would have taken us right to the Madurai-Chennai highway. That mistake cost me an hour in peak hour Trichy traffic but we ended up having a tour of the city After the cool climes of Munnar, the heat on the plains was unbearable. Thankfully, the 3 row AC inside the Lodgy kept us in Munnar inside. I should also mention the magnetic shades that I bought are very useful. They keep the heat away to a large extent and also improve privacy.

Had dinner at Sonamina, which is after the toll booth just outside Trichy. Started off at 9 PM and reached Chennai at 1:15 AM. Maintained a constant 100 and never oversped in spite of some tempting moments to do so.

Renault Lodgy : Official Review-dsc_0498.jpg

Another interesting observation with regard to the engine - I always alternate between BP and Indianoil diesel stations to fill. I found that the K9K runs a tad bit smoother with Indianoil diesel than BP diesel. So for the last couple of weeks, I'm sticking to Indianoil and I'm really enjoying that smoothness. During my days with the Ertiga, the 1.3 DDiS seemed to enjoy BP diesel more than Indianoil and I was a patron of BP. Not so, with the K9K. Now, with the K9K liking Indianoil more, I'm always on the lookout for IOC diesel stations and rest rooms.

Due to the election, there were many checking squads with guns down south and it was a real pain to stop and open all the luggage. Lodgy being a big MPV, appeared like a potential political vehicle perhaps! It was a royal pain to do this every 20 kms or so. To be frank, I was a bit irritated with this whole thing. For Pete's sake they should understand we were a family inside and not a bunch of goons transporting cash! Yet, they wanted to check every bag, nook and cranny inside. This was the only dampener in this trip. Note to self: avoid trip during the election season.

A wonderful trip to cherish and the best bit was the cool weather in Munnar. Didn't quite expect it to be cold but was pleasantly surprised. To me, the destination is always home and every other stopover is nothing but a stopover. Really enjoyed the Lodgy for what it is and now looking forward to the next one. Thanks for reading!
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 14:24   #344
BHPian

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Congrats on your booking and wishing you many happy Lodgycal miles! It's a robust vehicle and takes a certain amount of abuse in its stride.

A wonderful trip to cherish and the best bit was the cool weather in Munnar. Didn't quite expect it to be cold but was pleasantly surprised. To me, the destination is always home and every other stopover is nothing but a stopover. Really enjoyed the Lodgy for what it is and now looking forward to the next one. Thanks for reading!
Thanks. The tip about Munnar couldn't have come at a better time as last evening I was checking out stay options in Munnar! Photographs are extremely enticing but I think I'd avoid during this pre election season.

Excellent point about the relaxing benefits of non rushed and non stressful driving. BTW may I ask whether you bought the magnetic shades from the Renault service center or after market? Do they fit the Lodgy windows perfectly?

Last edited by bdutta : 14th May 2016 at 14:29.
Old 14th May 2016, 14:40   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Y
Excellent point about the relaxing benefits of non rushed and non stressful driving. BTW may I ask whether you bought the magnetic shades from the Renault service center or after market? Do they fit the Lodgy windows perfectly?
i bought them from Snapdeal. Yes, they are custom fit for the Lodgy and do a good job. After you asked me about it, I just checked Snapdeal and they have a better set of shades than what I have now - they have a zip as well. I really miss the zip feature as I have to manually remove the shade every time I'm at a toll booth or open the door to do the transaction which is cumbersome. You can go with the magnetic shades with zip for the added convenience. Link below:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed