Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2017, 20:00   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Lodgy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Never had any problem driving in hills and Himalayas are mighty! The only trick is to know when to be in which gear, rest all is good.
That's incredible. I agree, a driver who makes the right choice of the gears would seldom face any issue while driving in the ghats. However in tricky situations like coming to a dead stop on a steep upward slope, when the car is fully loaded would pose a problem. Because the moment you release the clutch the car may roll back. If you release the clutch abruptly, the car may stall. If you race the engine with half clutch, you may ruin your clutch. Did you come across such a situation during your trip? If yes how did the Lodgy perform?
Old 17th May 2017, 20:33   #407
BHPian

Well..you would employ the handbrake slot in the right gear, release the clutch and release the handbrake. Have been in similar situations in my Ertiga - no sweat.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:07   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If yes how did the Lodgy perform?
Maybe once there was a slight slip but not severe, however, it was on a steep incline. It has a decent amount of torque to pull you through tricky situations. Although would have loved to have even a basic all-wheel drive like XUV.

And as always, handbrake is always there to the rescue
Old 18th May 2017, 17:45   #409
BHPian

I couldn't have expected a better reply than this, thanks a lot!

Being half as costly as Innova, the addition of VFM factor would simply bring the Lodgy as the best people mover for sure. Now, even Ertiga costs that much, so what factors are deterring the success of Lodgy?? In my opinion the following can do some wonder and can be game changer for Renault in Lodgy and improve overall ranking in sales terms:

1. Bring some WoW factors to the after sales experience in addition to adding confidence building measures for the same.
2. Market the product by using word-of-the-mouth in print and TV media to improve trust factor amongst prospective buyers, targeting the right segment.
3. Project it as a complete family car by highlighting (and if required, by introducing some new exciting) features for every member: the person who drives, the better half, the grand parents, and the kids!

Best wishes to Lodgy!
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:12   #410
BHPian

Hello all BHPians!!

I totally forgot to put a query here:

In recent time - say around 6-8 months I am observing an issue specifically while slotting from 1st to 2nd gear. Gear lever simply refuses to get in to 2nd gear like someone is applying reverse pressure.

In such case i have to release clutch, again press it & slot in 2nd. It too happens with some effort. & after some time at next round gear will slot as if you are cutting butter with knife.

I tried to replicate scenario several times - 1) By changing gear around 1000-1200 RPM (Usually shifts at around 2000), 2) Changing at higher RPM (2500-3500).

But this issue occurs very randomly. So couldn't replicate it in front of SA, when visited last time.

Did any Lodgian faced such issue? If yes what precaution i have to take in such case.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:28   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_b View Post
Hello all BHPians!!

In recent time - say around 6-8 months I am observing an issue specifically while slotting from 1st to 2nd gear. Gear lever simply refuses to get in to 2nd gear like someone is applying reverse pressure.

In such case i have to release clutch, again press it & slot in 2nd. It too happens with some effort. & after some time at next round gear will slot as if you are cutting butter with knife.

Sounds like an issue with the gear synchronizer rings. Here's what service centers normally do in such cases:
1. Bleed the transmission and clutch fluids and give the car back to you for further testing
2. If the above does't solve the issue, problem could be with the gear synchronizer's which may need replacement.
3. If 1 and 2 doesn't help, gearbox needs further inspection

Synchronizer rings costs around Rs 2500 for one; add another 2500 for gear box disassembly and assembly. No issues if you can't replicate the issue, make it clear that the gears are getting stuck at times.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:27   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Sounds like an issue with the gear synchronizer rings.
No issues if you can't replicate the issue, make it clear that the gears are getting stuck at times.
I had discussion with SAs at 2 different dealerships - Both times couldn't replicate it - they said for this gearbox its having Synchro mesh - so gears will not engaged until synced. So some times it may happen. Every time it happened, clutch was surely pressed fully.

BTW will these part be covered under warranty or not if needs to be changed ?
Old 4th July 2017, 16:37   #413
BHPian

Quote:
I had discussion with SAs at 2 different dealerships - Both times couldn't replicate it - they said for this gearbox its having Synchro mesh - so gears will not engaged until synced. So some times it may happen. Every time it happened, clutch was surely pressed fully.

BTW will these part be covered under warranty or not if needs to be changed ?
They may have reasons however things have to work the way it is supposed to: trouble-free. My friend got his Duster's synchronizer changed at Renault Kochi, Kerala. We also couldn't replicate the problem, and this problem showed up like only 5-6 times in 10,000 km. Bleeding procedure was done as a first step, and later when the issue persisted they changed one synchronizer.

Yes it gets covered under regular and extended warranty. Let's hope things get solved without opening up the gearbox.
Old 9th October 2017, 07:58   #414

Can you share or forward the lodgy engine issues you faced.
Old 11th January 2018, 10:10   #415
Senior - BHPian

Test Drove the Lodgy 2 days back. The criteria is a Diesel MPV within 15L. Here are some observations:

1. This is the most spacious of all the monocoque MPVs I've driven (read: Ertiga and BRV). I'm 6'2" and fairly healthy (read:fat). It has excellent height, supportive seats and all round visibility. In both the BRV and Ertiga I felt a dearth of shoulder room, especially when seated next to a similarly endowed individual. No such problems in the Lodgy. The middle row seat has adequate legroom. Even the third row seat seemed a comfortable fit for my height. In the other 2 cars the offer of space seems to dwindle the moment one looks beyond the first row. Not so in the Lodgy.

2. While the overall looks can only be classified as ugly, certain design elements like the unique shaped tail lamps, the sausage shaped rear and the chrome bits in the front grillle look very unique to me. In any case, the Lodgy resides in a segment of ugly ducklings. Ertiga plays the design safe, BRV is gargoyle ish.

3. I know the dashboard and switchgear is mostly borrowed from the Duster. But maybe due to the all around airy feel, or the color, it appears a more premium interior for the uninitiated.

4. The TD vehicle was the 85bhp version. Brisk acceleration from start, and adequate power all throughout. It feels much more refined than the Maruti diesel and especially the Honda diesel. Much more driveable due to the easy spread of torque and good gearing. I've driven the 108bhp Duster before, so I know what to expect from the higher spec engine.

5. The driving experience is what really impresses. It drives completely like a car. Did a lot of moderately high speed turns, and the car didnt step out of line once. I reside close to the Noida expressway, so there's enough expressway and (empty) service roads at my disposal. Took the car to 110 on a service road and slammed on the brakes. The ABS kicked in, the car stopped smartly without a hint of getting unsettled. Then went on to a completely broken road, and the suspension handled the same in a matured manner without throwing me all over the cabin. All I could feel were distant thuds. Tried parallel parking, in the same slot where my Verna gets parked. Very good all round visibility meant I was able to do it without a hitch. Everything impressive, given the wheelbase and the shape of the vehicle.

6. The build quality feels superior to the Ertiga and the BRV. In cabin insulation is also very good. A calming experience, especially when you're in the habit of doing 10 hour+ highway drives.

Overall, I felt this was an MPV that offers Innova like space and comfort, yet is as driveable and easy to live with as a sedan. Surprised that the car sells in such low numbers.
predatorwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 12:19   #416
BHPian

One of the main factor for poor selling is due to the fact that pricey maintenance costs due to greediness of Renault.
Old 24th January 2018, 19:34   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Overall, I felt this was an MPV that offers Innova like space and comfort, yet is as driveable and easy to live with as a sedan. Surprised that the car sells in such low numbers.
Hi predatorwheelz, a very well spot on observation by you. As a proud owner of Lodgy for 2 years - I can say that though it is underrated , but it's an all rounder package. You will get driving pleasure, journey comfort , space & what not . Before proceeding you may check about servicing quality in your area. Else Mahindra's upcoming MPV would be another choice for you.

BTW I would like to ask fellow Lodgy owners if anybody is using/ has used Synthetic oil? If yes then what would be the difference which we can see in overall behavior of car? I am asking this as my car will be going for 20K service.
tushar_b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 08:27   #418
BHPian

The Stepway edition now comes with 2nd row seats on rails. This was a feature which was sorely missed and not able to fathom why Renault did not come up with this from day ONE! In fact, we had taken a TD of Lodgy when we were looking for a replacement of our first Innova. Fixed 2nd row seats was a deal breaker for us.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 12:42   #419
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
The Stepway edition now comes with 2nd row seats on rails.
Why aren't they advertising that?
Old 1st April 2018, 15:41   #420
BANNED

Quote:
Hi predatorwheelz, a very well spot on observation by you. As a proud owner of Lodgy for 2 years - I can say that though it is underrated , but it's an all rounder package. You will get driving pleasure, journey comfort , space & what not . Before proceeding you may check about servicing quality in your area. Else Mahindra's upcoming MPV would be another choice for you.
BTW I would like to ask fellow Lodgy owners if anybody is using/ has used Synthetic oil? If yes then what would be the difference which we can see in overall behavior of car? I am asking this as my car will be going for 20K service.
Thanks predatorwheelz for your encouraging feedback. I too have felt that the Lodgy has been an under-rated & neglected offering in its segment.

Perhaps the reason for the Lodgy's poor sales (apart from the ASS involved, as you mentioned) is that it has stuck to FWD despite the longish WB (281cm vs 275cm for Innova!). This is a decided disadvantage in a fully loaded car going up a steep incline. We travel to Naukuchiatal, Uttaranchal frequently by road and have seen FWD sedans in traction difficulties while going up steep inclines in heavily loaded conditions, particularly on unpaved & loose surfaces.

But in most other circumstances I feel that the Lodgy is a valid & worthy alternative.

About synthetic oil use in diesels, I can only speak as someone who has used synthetic oil frequently - but only in high-speed marine diesels. We observed that there was no adverse effect of any kind. On the contrary (during scheduled, periodic de-carbonizing of the engine), the occurrence of sludge deposits on internal surfaces (crank-case internals, con-rod & crank-shaft surfaces etc,) was definitely less.

Regarding reduced wear-down of bearing surfaces - as claimed by the suppliers - this requires long-term monitoring & this data unfortunately we could not analyze. But having read in related journals about the improvement in wear-down of bearing surfaces, one is tempted to conclude that it is not all sales talk.

Last edited by shashanka : 1st April 2018 at 16:11.
shashanka is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed