Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 17:51   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

The Nano AMT Cooling hoses would qualify for Guiness record for LONGEST COOLANT HOSES for a Passenger Car in the world!!

God! Thats some technology to digest. I am sure this has something to do with the magnet marelli box failing above a particular temperature. I mean, if the manual box is doing good with that placement for the last 6+ years, why change all of a sudden?!
Old 25th May 2015, 17:58   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The Nano AMT Cooling hoses would qualify for Guiness record for LONGEST COOLANT HOSES for a Passenger Car in the world!!
Seriously, that could be. Any implications on the cooling ability due to this prolonged route of the coolant flow? In my opinion, such a long rubber hose increases the probability of leakages. But then, probably there was no other option:

Quote:
God! Thats some technology to digest. I am sure this has something to do with the magnet marelli box failing above a particular temperature. I mean, if the manual box is doing good with that placement for the last 6+ years, why change all of a sudden?!
I think it is related more to the limited room in the rear. The AMT box needs its own space which probably has been carved out by moving the radiator at the front.

Thanks!
Old 25th May 2015, 19:55   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yet, even with a vacuum booster, our test drive report includes a mention of poor brakes (though personally I thought the brakes were adequate, but not excellent). A switchover to discs with the same hydraulic set-up may not be an advantage at all - I'd suspect it'll make braking worse. OTOH, modifying the hydraulics / booster system should make braking better than what it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Brakes were adequate for the power delivery of the vehicle. Not tried wrooming at very high speeds but around 60KMPH. As rightly mentioned by sun_king, what you drive currently matters here. ABS drivers might find it little difficult initially but one will get used to it easily. Manual mode adds some friction helping the braking unlike the Auto.
Me personally being a nano twist user for the past 8 months and 10000 kms, can share my experience with the brakes. Under normal circumstances, the car has an unbelievably short braking distance and feels really confident and dare I say sporty! However there are certain scenarios one needs to be aware of while driving one to avoid landing in soup:
1. The vacuum assist drops off if the engine is loaded and the rpm falls below the idle threshold. This shows up when navigating through bumper to bumper traffic. The car has a good ability to creep forward without using the accelerator. If a sudden stop is required this time, the brakes feel like wood.
2. Same thing happens in panic braking. When the throttle is open and engine is loaded, there is no vacuum assist for the brakes. It takes a second or so to build up assist after lifting off the throttle. In panic braking we do not have this one second to spare. The brakes feel wooden here also.
3. Wading through water. The brakes become almost nil compared to cars with discs.
Felt the first 2 on the GenX too. So pretty sure the brakes remain unmodified. For the speeds this car is capable of and given its light weight ABS may not be useful here. The car will come to a stop even before the ABS begins to guess whats happening!
alphahere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 20:37   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
A) On first glance, there seems to be enough space in the rear engine bay for the radiator. Logical question this but no answer other than maybe shifting 20 - 25 kgs of weight to the front as the AMT unit has added enough extra weight to an already rear heavy car. This would normalize the axle load. Could also be a reason why I felt the AMT has a better ride quality up front. Also brings another question on the raised engine cover for the AMT. There is nothing beneath it! They could have used a flat cover had they installed the coolant expansion tank a bit lower on the right side. The only reason that I see for the hump on the engine cover could be to increase airflow over the components.
Or maybe the Nano Europa (3 pot engine) is on its way!

Also let me share my thoughts on the power steering and the brake booster:
What are these doing in a small lightweight car whose major design objective was to be low cost. With proper design, these should not have been necessary.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th May 2015, 09:09   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Wading through water. The brakes become almost nil compared to cars with discs.
Good inputs alphahere.

Third observation is very valid for me as I live in Kerala where it pours almost for half the year. Same used to happen with my Maruti 800 but then we drive like snail during heavy rains and mud pools. Drums are helpless!

Anyways its a word of caution
Old 26th May 2015, 12:00   #156
BHPian

Is the AMT Nano equipped with a hydraulic clutch? The non-AMT Nano (previous versions) had cable actuated clutches and required frequent play setting.
I think (hopefully) that Tata moved to new 5 speed forward gearbox with hydraulic & self-adjusting clutch coupled with AMT to eliminate this problem.
This setup may take more space in the rear and lead to the radiator movement?

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2015 at 12:10. Reason: Formatted post.
Old 26th May 2015, 12:13   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Or maybe the Nano Europa (3 pot engine) is on its way!
From what I heard that a turbo version of 2 cylinder engine is in pipeline.
Old 26th May 2015, 13:10   #158
BHPian

From what I heard that a turbo version of 2 cylinder engine is in pipeline.

Saw this being tested on the Coimbatore race track in Sep 2014 when I was working on a project there. Tata tests its products at the track.
ssingri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 14:13   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Under rear engine - note only fan
Is the function of this fan an exhaust or an intake?

Quote:
The Nano AMT Cooling hoses would qualify for Guiness record for LONGEST COOLANT HOSES for a Passenger Car in the world
Based on this thread, my guess is its the Bugatti Veyron. Imagine the plumbing required to link up 10 radiators to the engine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3708046

Quote:
I am sure this has something to do with the magnet marelli box failing above a particular temperature.
Maybe, may not be. The Suzuki's and the Tata Zest don't have any arrangement to isolate heat from the AMT unit.
Old 26th May 2015, 20:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
In my opinion, such a long rubber hose increases the probability of leakages. But then, probably there was no other option:
Think most of it will be metal.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 21:09   #161
BHPian

Quote:
1. The vacuum assist drops off if the engine is loaded and the rpm falls below the idle threshold. This shows up when navigating through bumper to bumper traffic. The car has a good ability to creep forward without using the accelerator. If a sudden stop is required this time, the brakes feel like wood.
The first two has given (is giving)me more than a fair share of scares in my daily commute. It exactly feels like you are pressing on wood. Never knew the reason and I thought it was a problem with my specific nano. If you felt it in the Genx also, then it is a serious concern considering that it has an intended creep mode and is likely to be operated in peak traffic

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2015 at 21:12. Reason: Removed the bulk of the quoted post
mail2sekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 06:37   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is the function of this fan an exhaust or an intake?
The fan pulls air from the front of the car and pushes it out through the rear bumper grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Is the AMT Nano equipped with a hydraulic clutch? The non-AMT Nano (previous versions) had cable actuated clutches and required frequent play setting.
I think (hopefully) that Tata moved to new 5 speed forward gearbox with hydraulic & self-adjusting clutch coupled with AMT to eliminate this problem.
This setup may take more space in the rear and lead to the radiator movement?
Not sure if there is a difference because IMO all clutch circuits whether hydraulic or cable start from the clutch pedal and ends at the gearbox. Here the AMT unit is fixed on the gearbox. Now maybe the AMT unit itself functions with hydraulics. Not sure but I did not see any extra reservoir for the fluids. I remember seeing something like this on the Celerio AMT.

Quote:
I am sure this has something to do with the magnet marelli box failing above a particular temperature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I think it is related more to the limited room in the rear. The AMT box needs its own space which probably has been carved out by moving the radiator at the front.
There is quite a bit of space to install the radiator at the back if one so wishes. So in all probability the radiator must have been the only movable component that weighs about equal to the AMT unit and they shifted it to the front to equalize the weight distribution.
alphahere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 11:43   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Think most of it will be metal.
You seem to have hit the nail on the head there. See the attached image of the undercarriage. There are two metal pipes traversing the length of the car. They are obviously not twin exhaust pipes!

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20150524_100903.jpg
Old 27th May 2015, 13:38   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fan pulls air from the front of the car and pushes it out through the rear bumper grille.
Hmmm...Not quite sure how it can manage to pull air all the way from up front of the car, based on its current location. Looks more like a system to exhaust hot air out from within the engine bay.
Old 27th May 2015, 14:33   #165
BHPian

I have been seeing a lot of women drivers in the Nano. Perhaps the release of the automatic will prove a much needed shot in the arm for TATA. Maybe more women drivers will be attracted to the car now that is easier to drive and better looking.
Moreover, lifting of styling/component from the Bolt/Zest lineup suggests TATA is still serious about the Nano and striving to make it better. Hope their perseverance pays off this time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks