Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 11:22   #301
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
will be helpful if all genx owners can perform some accurate FE measurements (not just the reading seen on the display) to understand the behavior.

Can some of you pl try a tankful to tankful method to find out the avg FE of the AMT in city use (with / without sports mode)?
The AFE reading is quite accurate. During a refill on the highway, on tankful to tankful calculation, I got 22.3 kmpl as the FE and the AFE reading was 22.5 kmpl. On the last few occasions, it's been very accurate I should say. I'l post when I do another tankful to tankful.

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:45   #302
Senior - BHPian

It's been 3 days since my Nano xta arrived andnhavebdriven it about 150kms so far.

It's my first car from an Indian manufacturer and a huge leapnof faith, buying a Tata tight after launch .

I'm happy to report that initial impressions are very good and not for a moment does it feel that you are driving the cheapest automatic car in the world.

My only concern is the FE,which has not even touched 12 yet (11.7). I'm hoping it will improve with time, as even a celerio amt manages 15 in town

I'll wait for it to settle in and report on my ownership log which I'll open soon.

But other than this minor niggle, I'm loving the car!

Here's a pic of my lil red hatch enjoying the monsoons in Kerala, while his big brother watches on ..
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20150611_171220.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 13th June 2015 at 15:12.
JayD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 16:39   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Hearty congrats! And your car just looks beautiful and wishing you long years with this car.

I think the throttle of the Genx is way softer, easier and sensitive to handle. If the Nano is moving, i'm getting very good FE provided I use the throttle very delicately
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Congrats for the Nano!
Was wondering if the Rear Wheels are a bit smaller than before, somehow felt so in the pic.
Thanks Guys! The rear wheels are the standard 155/65 R12 size. It must be the light that's playing tricks in the snap. I actually double checked it after you mentioned it.

I have managed to touch 15 km/l after driving about 150 kms in the city today. Traffic was not too much. The trick is to keep moving as much as possible and in above 1st gear. Still I do feel that it was easier to extract more mileage out of the 2014 model. Or it could be the manual transmission. 20.4 km/l is a pretty good figure which I have never managed to sustain in the long run. It would show about 20 to 22 for some time after resetting the counter and later would settle down at around 15 or 16 as kms are clocked up (have tried only in the city).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
It's my first car from an Indian manufacturer and a huge leapnof faith, buying a Tata tight after launch .

My only concern is the FE,which has not even touched 12 yet (11.7). I'm hoping it will improve with time, as even a celerio amt manages 15 in town

But other than this minor niggle, I'm loving the car!
Lets keep the thread updated on the FE front. It should be useful to all. There's another niggle which all users may need to be aware of. It looks like TATA cars do not come with the wheel alignment corrected. I discovered this back in 2010 when I was a Vista QJet user. At 10000 kms I took the car to an alignment centre to get it checked as part of routine maintenance. To my utter dismay the front tyres were almost completely ruined due to incorrect alignment. Who would guess? So I was double careful when I acquired my nano twist in 2014 and took it for alignment the very next day after delivery. The alignment readings for both front wheels were actually out of the display-able range on their screen! Now today I took the XTA to get the alignment checked and guess what happened? No prizes for guessing! It was way off here too. The alignment guy was of the opinion that if I had continued driving in this state the tyres would have worn out in no time at all. So its advisable to get the alignment checked once just to be on the safe side. I do not know if this is a lapse in quality control from the manufacturer or the dealer. The main issue here is that the mistake in alignment cannot be identified by driving as the car tracks absolutely straight even though the alignment is incorrect.

Last edited by alphahere : 13th June 2015 at 16:57.
alphahere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 17:29   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
It looks like TATA cars do not come with the wheel alignment corrected. I discovered this back in 2010 when I was a Vista QJet user. So I was double careful when I acquired my nano twist in 2014 and took it for alignment the very next day after delivery. The alignment readings for both front wheels were actually out of the display-able range on their screen! Now today I took the XTA to get the alignment checked and guess what happened?
Add to that my Manza Qjet - Purchase - June 2011- Alignment was haywire when i bought it on that Sunday.
Was corrected on tuesday later during the 1st general checkup service post 1000kms
Amazing, they still continue to deliver cars with bust alignment even in 2014.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 10:25   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I have a 2012 Nano, which never gives more than 13-14kmpl in city. While I love my Nano, Im disappointed with this aspect.
Here is my 2012 Nano LX
That sad to hear, somehow I never heard a figure less than 16kmpl from old Nano owners whom I know.

Well kept she is. Liked the color theme. After-market alloys?

Quote:
Hi All,
Our Damson Purple GenX AMT has finally come home! Say Hi!!

2. The basic accessories which were given free of cost included floor mats and mud flaps.
3. Mud flaps were still not available due to the new rear bumper shape. So SA promised to get it fixed in another 10 days time.
4. Asked for alloy wheels but was not available in stock. So need to source it from somewhere else.
Congrats on the GenX AMT. Good to know you were able to bag some basic accessories atleast. Here its a different scene altogether and looks like my dealer is saying anything other than NANO can be worked out with offers at this point in time.

Mudflaps are still awaited by those who took delivery of the vehicles. May be it would take time.

TATA original alloys looks value for money. MK Motors was having a Black alloys in stock which is costing to 12K. Looks like Aluminum finish would be 1.5K cheaper than black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
It's been 3 days since my Nano xta arrived andnhavebdriven it about 150kms so far.

I'm happy to report that initial impressions are very good and not for a moment does it feel that you are driving the cheapest automatic car in the world.

Good to hear you are happy with the World's cheapest automatic car though its not so cheap to drive.

Did you manage to get some free goodies or discounts from Concorde?
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 10:39   #306
BHPian

Just an update. The other day, AFE came down from 20.4 to 18.6 by the time I reached home - reasons must be the increased traffic since it was after 6 pm. I again made a trip to Marina with two other friends right in the noon with some stops in between and AC in speed 3. The AFE came down to 17 and today, my trip to office (weekday) in the morning with lots of traffic yielded 17.1. So for the last 50 to 60 kms, the AFE is 17.1 kmpl in the Chennai City and I'm really happy about it ! It's all with nearly 90% A/C too. And I'm hearing some grinding noise (with very feeble vibrations) when the car does somewhere between 30 - 40 kmph in third gear with the A/C on. It does not happen every time though. It's almost due for the First service so will get it checked.

Cheers!
Old 15th June 2015, 12:18   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I'm hearing some grinding noise (with very feeble vibrations) when the car does somewhere between 30 - 40 kmph in third gear with the A/C on. It does not happen every time though. It's almost due for the First service so will get it checked.
The grinding feeling is the a/c compressor working. I get the same in my GenX too. I remember this was there in my older twist also. It can be pinpointed at a specific rpm if you feather the throttle in neutral also when the car is not rolling. My suggestion is to leave it alone as long as the drive belt is not slipping or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
TATA original alloys looks value for money. MK Motors was having a Black alloys in stock which is costing to 12K. Looks like Aluminum finish would be 1.5K cheaper than black.
I was looking for dark colour alloys for myself and had a visit to Concorde today. They have only V spoke silver alloys in stock now. Black is expected sometime this week and they do not know what kind of finish or design it will be. Decided to wait and see if it is some new and better design. If not I'm planning to take the silver V spoke alloys and get it painted gunmetal. Was actually searching for Y spoke black alloys which I had in my earlier car. Image below:

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20140803_183440.jpg
Old 15th June 2015, 13:24   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
That sad to hear, somehow I never heard a figure less than 16kmpl from old Nano owners whom I know.

Well kept she is. Liked the color theme. After-market alloys?
Thanks for your appreciation. After 25k servicing the mileage has slightly improved to 15+ kmpl. I changed all 4 tyres to Bridgestone Tubeless.
These are Plati after market alloys for Nano.
Old 15th June 2015, 13:53   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Black is expected sometime this week and they do not know what kind of finish or design it will be. Decided to wait and see if it is some new and better design. If not I'm planning to take the silver V spoke alloys and get it painted gunmetal. Was actually searching for Y spoke black alloys which I had in my earlier car. Image below:
The Alloys which I have seen in MK matches with the ones in your image. To the best of my memory!

Not really sure if they were older stocks from Twist. Do PM incase you need me to check out with them.
Old 16th June 2015, 10:39   #310
BHPian

I am contemplating on buying a Nano XTA because I think its small dimensions and auto shift will enable my wife to drive easily in Bangalore traffic. My wife is new to driving and Nano seems to fit her requirements well. But, one question that comes up in mind is about the car rolling back on an inclined traffic stop (BTW there are many inclines around the place where I stay).

Can any of the Nano AMT owners here let me know how easy or hard it is to drive in stop and go traffic on an inclined road? Does it require frequent use of hand brake or can it be maneuvered with just the foot brake?

Concorde Motors in Bangalore is quoting INR 3.67 lakhs on road price and a waiting period of 6 to 8 weeks for the red color Nano. Is that a fair deal to accept?
Old 16th June 2015, 11:47   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Bridgestone Tubeless
Have you changed to all tyres of same size or kept with the front, rear different size?

Any difference noted in braking, noise etc?
Old 16th June 2015, 12:07   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Have you changed to all tyres of same size or kept with the front, rear different size?

I have changed all 4 tyres. Stuck to smaller tyres in the front and larger at the rear.
Braking has been very good and tyre noise is very minimal. even in wet conditions Bridgestone tyres grip is better.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 12:25   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
I am contemplating on buying a Nano XTA because I think its small dimensions and auto shift will enable my wife to drive easily in Bangalore traffic. My wife is new to driving and Nano seems to fit her requirements well. But, one question that comes up in mind is about the car rolling back on an inclined traffic stop (BTW there are many inclines around the place where I stay).

Can any of the Nano AMT owners here let me know how easy or hard it is to drive in stop and go traffic on an inclined road? Does it require frequent use of hand brake or can it be maneuvered with just the foot brake?

Concorde Motors in Bangalore is quoting INR 3.67 lakhs on road price and a waiting period of 6 to 8 weeks for the red color Nano. Is that a fair deal to accept?
I have completed close to 500 kms with the XTA and have tried experimenting with the car in different scenarios. I will share an impartial view on the ease of driving. The 'ease' actually depends on the particular situation you are in.

1. The 'creep' function works only if the handbrake is disengaged, the doors are properly closed and FOOT BRAKE released in 'A', 'M' or 'R' mode. If you apply the handbrake and release it in any of these 3 modes the car will not creep. To reengage the creep you have to press and release the foot brake once after releasing the handbrake. Similarly with the door. If any door is open the creep will not work. Shut the door properly then press and release the foot brake once to start the 'creep'.

2. The 'creep' function is altogether a different functionality from the usual movement you get on pressing the throttle. They have programmed it such that the handbrake and door safety override does not interfere with the movement using throttle input. Simply put the vehicle will (try to) move even if the handbrake is engaged or the door is open and you press the throttle but it will not 'creep' if handbrake is engaged or door is open.

3. Another point about the creep function is that it is linked to the foot brake switch. The creep is disengaged the moment you touch your foot on the brake without actually pressing it. So if its on an incline the car will roll back if you touch the brake. So controlling using the brake only is left to your skills. Not feasible IMO.

4. The creep function is good in stop go traffic but not so good in bumper to bumper traffic. Reason being that it is slightly unpredictable and might jerk forward slightly which is not good if there is no space in front of you. Also at this point the brakes are weak because the vacuum assist from the engine is less. You would have to stand on the brakes to make it stop.

5. Coming to inclines. It is a straightforward application. If you have some rolling space behind you then there is no need to use the handbrake. If too tight then apply the handbrake, press the throttle and release the handbrake. So no rolling back. Simple enough. Refer Point No 2.

6. Parking in a tight space on inclines is a chore though! Because there is no clutch control, it will either jump forward or roll back! A newbie can never handle this situation. For example I had a hard time trying to adjust the car on a ramp when I took it to check the alignment. The alignment guys were looking at me strangely as if they thought I did not know driving because it kept jerking forward and rolling back on the incline. I also had to be careful not to drop into the gutter in the centre. The solution that I have found for this is to pull the handbrake up by one notch and then press the accelerator to make the car move in a controlled way. Refer Point No 2.
I don't know if this can be handled with left leg on the brake and right leg on the throttle. Need to check and see even though that is not the right way of doing it. But I feel this may not work because they would have disabled movement using throttle also if the foot brake is pressed. Creep can't be used here because such maneuvers require fine movements. Refer Point No 3.

7. So what happens if a wheel is in a pothole or there is an obstruction in front and you press the throttle to move forward? Nothing.. for the first few seconds at least. You can feel the car straining to come out but cannot. Keep the throttle nailed and then the revs start increasing automatically and with a sudden jerk and a small wheelspin it comes shooting out of the pothole (not good for the clutch IMO). I think it releases the clutch to get the revvs built up and then suddenly engages the clutch to come out. So the best way to drive this is to use a little bit of momentum and break free whether it be a pothole or an incline.

All said it is very easy to get used to the behaviour of the car. Rather than expecting the car to behave as we like, we can modify the driving style to suit the behaviour of the car. If this can be learnt, then it's a very good proposition. Price for me was approx 3.62 OTR from KHT Motors including 2 year AMC. I have not opted for any accessory whatsoever. I have noticed that Concorde has a different marketing strategy where they quote a higher OTR price and include a lot of accessories like seat covers and so on. This will immediately make people run away because other dealers quote lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post

I had used the same size tyres for all tyres on my twist XT 2014. Changed all tyres to B290 155/65 R12 which is the same as the usual rear size. Not recommended because the front wheels will touch the wheel arches very lightly under extreme conditions like full lock turns on an uneven road. I used to hear the scraping sound. But no other issues were felt.

Last edited by alphahere : 16th June 2015 at 12:31.
alphahere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 13:07   #314
BHPian

alphahere, thanks for the detailed reply. It was as good as taking a test drive!

I think it will take a little time to get adjusted to the car’s behavior, but it should be easy after that. Also, thanks for letting me know about the OTR given by KHT. I also thought that Concorde is quoting higher. If the waiting period with KHT is not more than Concorde (6 to 8 weeks), then I will go for a deal with them.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:08   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Add to that my Manza Qjet - Purchase - June 2011- Alignment was haywire when i bought it on that Sunday.
Was corrected on tuesday later during the 1st general checkup service post 1000kms
Amazing, they still continue to deliver cars with bust alignment even in 2014.

After reading these posts about the missing wheel alignment, I am wondering if I also have to get the wheels aligned.

Co-incidentally, our new Nano XTA car's rear wheel had a puncture within 3 days of delivery!!! I was shocked looking at a flat wheel. When I took to puncture shop and got it fixed, I asked that guy to check the air pressure.The other rear wheel had 22psi. Front wheels had 20 & 22psi each. All were extremely low as per the manual. I wonder how in 3 days the air pressure went so low! The puncture shop guy was suspecting a puncture in the other rear wheel as well, but luckily there wasn't one. My mistake was not observing the wheel pressure considering that it was just 3 days.While taking the delivery, I had specifically asked if air pressure was checked.

Request someone to please advise if I have to really check the alignment for the new vehicle.

Most Viewed