Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2015, 23:19   #451
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Actually, if only headlight beam adjustment is needed, then there is no need to remove the headlights.

Please see the attached photos. Behind the headlights, see the nut for adjusting the level of the beam. You only need a No.10 open or ring spanner and some 5 mins of adjustment will do the trick Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-imag0232.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-imag0231.jpg  

Last edited by john doe : 20th August 2015 at 23:25.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 00:08   #452
BHPian

Dazzle blue, purple, sangaria red, IMO Nano offers some of the best color options. Each color adds value to the character of the car. Kudos to Tata They are making earnest efforts and doing every bit to deliver quality at a low cost.
jeepster_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 16:11   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Its raining GenXs with black alloys on the thread! Looks good in red n black!

Totally agree with john doe. The car looks ravishing in its present state! Stickers would only spoil the elegance. Maybe you could invest the price of the stickers on a customized leather steering cover and gear knob.
Thanks for the appreciation JD and Alpha and yes it is raining blackys !Somehow I always had this sticker craze. Rethinking now after your comments.Hmm.

One week of the automatic now and yet to see the 5th gear - thanks to Bangalore traffic. So much so that I wondered if I was misinformed about the 5th. Tried it out in manual and was glad to see that it exists.he he.I suppose it is bad for the running in period. Should go to some empty stretch and run up till 80 - which is when I suppose the auto will shift to 5th. 4th falls in at 40+ and then there is a large gap.
Manual gives a feel of my old nano - so good that way. Else I cringe at times especially during take-off from stand still in traffic.Also good to know that the sports mode is not a gimmick though I have not used it much.

Phone connectivity is seamless and the mute button is a boon and rightly placed.As everyone has said, the interior quality has vastly improved and nothing to complain about.

Nice touches:
The dimming cabin lamp after the door closes.
Manual locking not possible with the front door lock knob after you open the door. (I had left the key inside and got locked out earlier - twice!)
Individual trip's average fuel consumption.
Reverse creep.
That curve in the steering wheel which gives a good-to-hold feel below the thumb. ( Alphahere , I dont think I need a steering or a gear knob cover.It is quite premium the way it is)
Wider driver's seat? Or maybe I was imagining it.

Not nice:
Brakes - specifically in stop-go traffic. Sends chills down my spine at times when the creep and brakes fight with each other.
The racket on the outside - should definitely do something about this.
Mileage ?! Shows 10 now. Will check after 1st service. If not 21, as claimed , hope it climbs to 15.
Still searching for some space to fix a mobile holder...
mail2sekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 21:01   #454
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at this for stickers - this is 3M matte film applied to front and rear panels, and applied 2 years ago it still looks close to new.

The Blue was too dazzling, I prefer this look. And it matches the black and silver trim interior that I preferred to beige, which is why I chose blue for the only colour that offered this trim in 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-dsc_5335.jpg  

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd August 2015 at 21:05.
Sawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 13:42   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
Suggestion from my side:

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20150824_085730843_hdr.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20150824_085746664_hdr.jpg

That's a Nexus 5 in the pic. Holds the weight well.
Suction cup has not come out once in last 3 months.

Got it off Amazon / Flipkart during their sale. For 130 Rs. Available in white & black.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:36   #456
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am in the verge of finalizing NANO XTA for my mother and wife. They have not driven any car till now, they have the experience of driving 2 wheelers only.

My question is how tough for them to drive a AMT Nano?
They will be taking the driving classes before driving Nano AMT.

Yes, They are confident in driving this car, thats the reason for dropping the idea of buying another 2 wheeler and going for Nano AMT.

Also how is NANO AMT, any niggles?

Cheers,
Old 26th August 2015, 17:20   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Hi Folks,

I am in the verge of finalizing NANO XTA for my mother and wife. They have not driven any car till now, they have the experience of driving 2 wheelers only.

Yes, They are confident in driving this car, thats the reason for dropping the idea of buying another 2 wheeler and going for Nano AMT.

Cheers,
Even I have planned to get one for the family. My Dad and my wife will use it. I have driven the AMT, and I guess it wont be difficult for a 2 wheeler rider to get hold of the controls. A day of driving will be enough...Eagerness to learn will make things better and easy. Moreover, your family will take up driving classes, so I guess driving Nano will be a cake walk. I am sure they sure they are going to enjoy it a lot. All the best.

About niggles. I can't comment on the same. You can read the thread, there isn't much to worry. GenX Nano owner, do help him out.
Old 26th August 2015, 18:54   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Quick question: Is there any other car in the house in which they can practise ?

Why I ask is: The Nano looks small and handy in traffic ( which it is), but honestly, this car is not for absolute newbies.

This car has the worst " A" pillar ever, and you can miss full cars, let alone pedestrians and scooters. I always perform a small to-and-fro- head movement while driving past intersections and small lanes.

But the scope for a new driver to get into heaps of trouble remains high with the Nano.

Last edited by john doe : 26th August 2015 at 18:56.
Old 26th August 2015, 20:54   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Cheers,
Driving any car requires practice. Especially in Bangalore with its chaotic traffic.

The main advantage of the Nano is its small foot print. So that may make it a little easier to feel comfortable, but it will not be a significantly lesser effort as compared to say a Micra CVT. One other point is that the AMT of the Nano is not the smoothest shifting gear box around and it is not a powerful car. So there will be some additional learning to get familiar with how the car behaves specific to the AMT.

The good points in your favor are the fact that the ladies are comfortable with 2 wheeler and also have the confidence to shift to a car.

The first step would be to take driving classes. Challenge would be to find a driving school that teaches on AT cars. Once that is done, you will have a better idea on the confidence level and preferences.
Old 27th August 2015, 10:53   #460

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Cheers,
I have had the XTA (viz. Nano AMT) for about a week now. Driving comfort and ease is quite good. My daughter (who has just earned her DL) is able to drive it with reasonable comfort. (She drove for the first time to her college today..with me sitting beside of course! ).

You will need to get used to how the AMT functions; so don't skip reading the manual and getting some hands on experience in various situations (upward slope, U-turn with slope, stop-go traffic, speed breakers, etc.)

Of course all the normal caution, familiarity with steering and road sense is still required; hence would still advise adequate practice in driving classes and with your existing car.
Old 27th August 2015, 11:32   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrao View Post
I had the same issue with my new Nano GenX XTA also. Long press of the Set button reset the odomoter to Zero!!
Please refer my post in a different thread on an issue with the odometer getting reset to zero.
This was apparently an issue reported in the older Nano Twist...the same problem appears to have carried forward to the XTA also
Old 27th August 2015, 12:10   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Suggestion from my side:

Attachment 1406817

Attachment 1406818

That's a Nexus 5 in the pic. Holds the weight well.
Suction cup has not come out once in last 3 months.

Got it off Amazon / Flipkart during their sale. For 130 Rs. Available in white & black.
Thanks Dr.Suraj. Buying that now. My phone is a bit too big. Anyway, the A pillar side is a blind spot for the nano. Hence it cant block the view further !

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Even I have planned to get one for the family. My Dad and my wife will use it. I have driven the AMT, and I guess it wont be difficult for a 2 wheeler rider to get hold of the controls. A day of driving will be enough...Eagerness to learn will make things better and easy. Moreover, your family will take up driving classes, so I guess driving Nano will be a cake walk. I am sure they sure they are going to enjoy it a lot. All the best.

About niggles. I can't comment on the same. You can read the thread, there isn't much to worry. GenX Nano owner, do help him out.
Having an automatic definitely helps however I would err on the side of caution when switching from a two wheeler to a car (auto shift or not). This requires a different skill set. The only advantage being you would have got a road sense having ridden a two wheeler. Otherwise you got to learn from scratch.So a day of driving is certainly not enough , nano or otherwise.

As for the AMT , I am a 5 year old-nano owner and now the XTA owner. That is a huge leap for the car and me too . I was a happy customer then and a delighted customer now. The car does what it is supposed to do extremely well and especially so for the wives who have better things to do than worry about rear engine or vacuum brakes or understeer bla blah Read the posts in this thread for details.I find niggles for the sake of finding niggles - that's all. There are definitely better automatics out there. However one thing I can guarantee is , at this price - nothing comes close.
mail2sekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 12:44   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Cheers,
I have been using the XTA for almost 3 months now and covered 3500 kms in the city. My impression would be that this really is not a car for newbie drivers. You need to understand the response and feel of the car and give your inputs accordingly. If one tries to drive it like driving a normal slush box automatic can land in trouble. But I am not implying newbie drivers cannot drive it. For the most part they can drive it very easily but if faced with an adverse situation they should know how to tackle it with the car. Examples of adverse situations are sudden braking, bumper to bumper traffic, steep slopes. The clutch can bite suddenly and jump in B2B traffic scaring the life out of you. Or the brake can suddenly lose bite in B2B traffic. On steep slopes the car may or may not move forward or it may roll backward or it may jump like a horse depending on your input. But there is nothing that a month of practice cannot solve. I have learnt to predict how the car will behave and now driving it is a piece of cake!
alphahere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 10:06   #464
BHPian

guys, anyone have a known friend somewhere in Gurgaon...I am thinking of buying XTA, and the waiting period being told to me is October Mid. Earliest is first week of October.

Anyone here who can push things up with known contacts ? My wife's b'day is around the corner - 14th Sep - so was thinking of this as a surprise...
Old 28th August 2015, 11:30   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
Thanks for the appreciation JD and Alpha and yes it is raining blackys !Somehow I always had this sticker craze. Rethinking now after your comments.Hmm.

One week of the automatic now and yet to see the 5th gear - thanks to Bangalore traffic. So much so that I wondered if I was misinformed about the 5th. Tried it out in manual and was glad to see that it exists.he he.I suppose it is bad for the running in period. Should go to some empty stretch and run up till 80 - which is when I suppose the auto will shift to 5th. 4th falls in at 40+ and then there is a large gap.
Manual gives a feel of my old nano - so good that way. Else I cringe at times especially during take-off from stand still in traffic.Also good to know that the sports mode is not a gimmick though I have not used it much.

Phone connectivity is seamless and the mute button is a boon and rightly placed.As everyone has said, the interior quality has vastly improved and nothing to complain about.

Nice touches:
The dimming cabin lamp after the door closes.
Manual locking not possible with the front door lock knob after you open the door. (I had left the key inside and got locked out earlier - twice!)
Individual trip's average fuel consumption.
Reverse creep.
That curve in the steering wheel which gives a good-to-hold feel below the thumb. ( Alphahere , I dont think I need a steering or a gear knob cover.It is quite premium the way it is)
Wider driver's seat? Or maybe I was imagining it.

Not nice:
Brakes - specifically in stop-go traffic. Sends chills down my spine at times when the creep and brakes fight with each other.
The racket on the outside - should definitely do something about this.
Mileage ?! Shows 10 now. Will check after 1st service. If not 21, as claimed , hope it climbs to 15.

You may have to reset your trip meters which will automatically reset your AFE reading. Once you reset, you may see a better number. You don't have to wait until 1st service. I also had this issue and I got to know about this information on T-bhp only. I guess freakmusik had helped me in understanding this logic.

For all XTA owners: I just wanted to check on whats the mileage you folks are getting? My wife drives in Bangalore and I drive occasionally and until recently we were getting about 12 on an average, which is too low. I just want to understand if we are missing on something. We have just got the 1st service done about 2 weeks ago and things does not seem to improve.
118pramod is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks