Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 22:40   #646
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Checked out the car in person at VST's yard. The car's VIN ends with FKK19839 indicating it was manufactured in October. The car has been in their yard for about 15 days, according to the yard in charge. Car has 11 km in the odo. Yard is not in an area where there was water logging.

So planning to book the car.
What color are you planning on taking ?
VST has a red test drive car that is not marked so do take care. Also check the tires closely for any wear and inside wheel wells just in case it was driven with speedo disconnected.
Old 30th November 2015, 08:37   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
What color are you planning on taking ?
VST has a red test drive car that is not marked so do take care. Also check the tires closely for any wear and inside wheel wells just in case it was driven with speedo disconnected.
I'm looking for the Purple color. They have 3 Purple AMTs and a few Red ones as well. I went all the way to their yard in Kolappancheri to check out the cars. Looked at all 3 Purple cars and selected the one with VIN FKK19839. All AMTs in stock are October manufactured (they had some manual ones manufactured as back as March).

Checked out the tires specifically. They did not have any wear, but did have lot of mud on them due to the slush in their yard. I'm still in two minds as to whether I should go ahead with the booking or not. I spoke to Concorde and they are still non committal on delivering a Purple Nano before January 2016. Just that I don't want to wait that long.
Old 30th November 2015, 10:30   #648
BHPian

Guys Anyone point me to a Nano AMT ownership review!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Back from an awesome drive to Salem from Bangalore on my manual Nano. Nano was awesome in the highways. We were driving with 3 people and luggage on one of the rear seats. The car didnt struggle anywhere and on any incline. I was able to cruise at 100km/h without any issues. There was no cross wind problem anywhere as the car was pretty solid. Mileage was at 20km/l with full a/c on
That's quite a good FE figure with air-conditioning on! what were your average speeds? And how does it behave on bad stretches of road?

Hows the braking above 60kmph on rainy days? Is it stable enough while braking at those speeds ?

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd December 2015 at 16:14. Reason: General Housekeeping. Please do not use the board as a chat client. All one-liners merged.
Old 2nd December 2015, 06:34   #649
BHPian

Back from an awesome drive to Salem from Bangalore on my manual Nano. Nano was awesome in the highways. We were driving with 3 people and luggage on one of the rear seats. The car didnt struggle anywhere and on any incline. I was able to cruise at 100km/h without any issues. There was no cross wind problem anywhere as the car was pretty solid. Mileage was at 20km/l with full a/c on

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
That's quite a good FE figure with air-conditioning on! what were your average speeds? And how does it behave on bad stretches of road?
My average speed was around 90km/h. The vehicle behaves very good on all roads. I completed the 200kms distance in 3 hours which includes a 30 to 45 mins break. I was able to hit 100km/h easily.

Quote:
Hows the braking above 60kmph on rainy days? Is it stable enough while braking at those speeds ?
Brakes are very good. Never had any issue with it at any speeds.

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd December 2015 at 16:15. Reason: General Housekeeping. Please don't use the board as a chat client with all these 1-line posts one after another.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:56   #650
BANNED

HI Guys... its been a while since I had anything to share... so here is my news... BOOKED THE NEW XTA AMT for my wife from Mohandas Motors in Thiruvananthapuram on the 30th of November... and I am expecting delivery on 15th Dec...

It was a choice between the Alto K10 automatic and the Nano automatic ( Celerio and new WagonR automatic were beyond my budget as this is the third active car in my garage in addition to my dad's old 84 model 800 that I am restoring...). FOllowing reasons tilted the scale in favour of Nano

1. Excellent driving position - Upright posture and easy ingress and egress... my wife is just a shade shorter than me at 5 ft 8 inches....

2. This vehicle will be used by her for city commute that shall not exceed 30 to 35 km a day and passengers will be my aged parents and in-laws. They found crawling into and getting out of Alto too difficult whereas Nano was a breeze to enter and exit

3. Excellent head and leg room in rear bench in the Nano compared to almost no leg room and minimal leg room in the Alto.

4. BIG wide windshield and windows offer phenomenal vision of traffic and road on the Nano.

5. The lower power on the Nano actually suits my wife in city traffic and rush hour. She is able to control the vehicle better and the slower response gives her better control while squeezing through narrow roads.

6. Of course... Nano is cheaper by close to a hundred thousand.

I have also opted for the accessories package of 11k which includes seat covers, 2mm thick vinyl flooring, reverse sensor with distance indicator, 3M underbody protection and rain guard.

Eagerly looking forward to delivery.....
blueinkbottle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:41   #651
BHPian

Quote:

Dear KTM_aravind,

I own a 2012 LX model. Below is my thoughts about Highway driving.

My family and I travel to my native (650 km one way) in Nano ever since I got my Nano. The only time I stop is for lunch and refueling.

I regularly touch 110 kmph on the highways. I'm not sure about how it will handle high speeds when we have just the driver and a passenger BUT when fully loaded (passengers +/- luggage), it is quite a stable car.

It's high seating position gives you a clear view of the road ahead and also traffic on the cross roads.

Bad roads are not a problem at all.
This happened during one of my highway runs. The stretch of highway was being asphalted. At one point the asphalt ended and just two feet ahead the road was asphalted. This left a two feet wide and about 2 inch deep gap across the road.
I hit this gap at high speed and for a moment we all thought the wheels would come out rolling from either side but NOTHING happened. Till date not a single nut was replaced.

Since the steering is not assisted, you can clearly feel what front wheels are doing (I love that) which actually makes you confident to some extent. I even negotiate small curves while maintaining my speed.

You need to always bare in mind that this is an all drum brakes car so you will have to plan every move and as far as possible anticipate the next move of the vehicle ahead of you as well. So as long as you are careful, brakes do their job flawlessly.

Few Important Tips (I always follow):
1. Always maintain a healthy distance between vehicle a head of you.
2. Do not indulge in racing (some times co road users want to show off)
3. Do not over take when another vehicle is already over taking.
4. Constantly look out for pedestrians (man and animal)
5. Try engine braking as much as possible and apply brakes in pulses.

Find more tips at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ays-ghats.html

CAUTION: If you are travelling alone or even with just one passenger, the car is still very light so in this case, emergency braking will NOT STOP the car, at least in wet conditions.

I was once dropping my friend to bus stop and had to hard brake as the car in front braked and stopped suddenly. I was just entering the main road from my gulli so the speed was not much but still car didn't stop as it was raining and roads were wet. I could easily feel all wheels have locked up but the car was skidding. Ended up replacing front bumper, bonnet and wind shield (my friend had not strapped on his seat belt and bannged his head on the wind shield).

That was just to caution you while travelling single and in wet condition.

For City run about, nothing can replace Nano.

Recently my brother had to give his safari for service so used my car for his office commute. He was all smiles after a week of usage and is now planning to buy Nano. People from Bangalore (KR Puram - Marathalli) would know the traffic during peak hours

I would still highly recommend you to go for Nano. In fact, if I had the cash reserve I would have gone for an exchange and got myself a GenX.

Last edited by noopster : 7th December 2015 at 23:02. Reason: Typo fixed. Please use "report" function going forward
T-Bone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 19:27   #652

I own a Tata Nano CX 2011 model. Now i'm planning to purchase AMT model. Please let me know the mileage of the car in City limits. I heard it gives only around 11 - 12 kmpl
Old 2nd December 2015, 20:10   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Dear KTM_aravind,

I own a 2012 LX model. Below is my thoughts about Highway driving.

My family and I travel to my native (650 km one way) in Nano ever since I got my Nano. The only time I stop is for lunch and refueling.

I regularly touch 110 kmph on the highways. I'm not sure about how it will handle high speeds when we have just the driver and a passenger BUT when fully loaded (passengers +/- luggage), it is quite a stable car.

It's high seating position gives you a clear view of the road ahead and also traffic on the cross roads.

Bad roads are not a problem at all.
This happened during one of my highway runs. The stretch of highway was being asphalted. At one point the asphalt ended and just two feet ahead the road was asphalted. This left a two feet wide and about 2 inch deep gap across the road.
I hit this gap at high speed and for a moment we all thought the wheels would come out rolling from either side but NOTHING happened. Till date not a single nut was replaced.

Since the steering is not assisted, you can clearly feel what front wheels are doing (I love that) which actually makes you confident to some extent. I even negotiate small curves while maintaining my speed.

You need to always bare in mind that this is an all drum brakes car so you will have to plan every move and as far as possible anticipate the next move of the vehicle ahead of you as well. So as long as you are careful, brakes do their job flawlessly.

Few Important Tips (I always follow):
1. Always maintain a healthy distance between vehicle a head of you.
2. Do not indulge in racing (some times co road users want to show off)
3. Do not over take when another vehicle is already over taking.
4. Constantly look out for pedestrians (man and animal)
5. Try engine braking as much as possible and apply brakes in pulses.

Find more tips at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ays-ghats.html

CAUTION: If you are travelling alone or even with just one passenger, the car is still very light so in this case, emergency braking will NOT STOP the car, at least in wet conditions.

I was once dropping my friend to bus stop and had to hard brake as the car in front braked and stopped suddenly. I was just entering the main road from my gulli so the speed was not much but still car didn't stop as it was raining and roads were wet. I could easily feel all wheels have locked up but the car was skidding. Ended up replacing front bumper, bonnet and wind shield (my friend had not strapped on his seat belt and bannged his head on the wind shield).

That was just to caution you while travelling single and in wet condition.

For City run about, nothing can replace Nano.

Recently my brother had to give his safari for service so used my car for his office commute. He was all smiles after a week of usage and is not planning to buy Nano. People from Bangalore (KR Puram - Marathalli) would know the traffic during peak hours

I would still highly recommend you to go for Nano. In fact, if I had the cash reserve I would have gone for an exchange and got myself a GenX.
Thanks a lot for all your opinions! I booked a Red AMT! I really needed the current owner reviews badly as I was always worried about the durability of the small nano engine.

I tried the kwid, when leaving the showroom, I tried to close the door and it didn't close properly. Then I pushed my bum into the door to push it in, Guess what ? The door went in and left a dent on the door! I quietly left the showroom . Horrible quality !
KTM_aravind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:08   #654
BHPian

Quote:
I really needed the current owner reviews badly as I was always worried about the durability of the small nano engine.
If I understand correct, the engine on the GenX is the same as the previous one. We had a 2011 Nano before we upgraded to the 2015 Genx. When we were in the market for a car in 2011, we found a used Nano that had driven 117000km and the engine didnt seem to stutter/stall when we took it for a TD. I cant give a first hand opinion of the engine on the 2011 model Nano as we drove it only for 21000km before upgrading a few months ago. For the duration that we used the 2011 Nano, the engine was good, but there were other niggles (fuel pump failure once, grinding noise from steering, rattle from seats etc)

Quote:
I tried the kwid, when leaving the showroom, I tried to close the door and it didn't close properly. Then I pushed my bum into the door to push it in, Guess what ? The door went in and left a dent on the door! I quietly left the showroom . Horrible quality !
This is where the GenX Nano positively surprised me.The doors do really feel solid (compared to the older Nano or even the Alto). I do not want to find out how big a hit it can sustain before deforming, but certainly feels much sturdier than others in the same price range or even a little above.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2015 at 19:16.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 20:09   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Checked out the car in person at VST's yard. The car's VIN ends with FKK19839 indicating it was manufactured in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
the 12th character which denotes month.
E- May
F- Jun and so on till
L for Nov.
Apologies y2ksrs, it looks like the VIN decoder given in the VIN thread is not updated. Tata seems to use a new nomenclature and their Months are denoted as follows now :
J - Jul
K - Aug
L - Sep
M - Oct
N - Nov

this is clarified in a post from Dec 2014, but not modified in the original list.
Source : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3613322

I have sent a request to the friendly mods to update the VIN decoder thread.

Thanks to @Grand Drive for pointing out the error. He helped me decode the VIN which seemed to throw an error when I used the method posted in the original thread, to check month of manufacture for my Nano AMT

Last edited by uday.ere : 6th December 2015 at 20:12.
Old 6th December 2015, 20:46   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Apologies y2ksrs, it looks like the VIN decoder given in the VIN thread is not updated. Tata seems to use a new nomenclature and their Months are denoted as follows now :
J - Jul
K - Aug
L - Sep
M - Oct
N - Nov

this is clarified in a post from Dec 2014, but not modified in the original list.
Source : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3613322

I have sent a request to the friendly mods to update the VIN decoder thread.

Thanks to @Grand Drive for pointing out the error. He helped me decode the VIN which seemed to throw an error when I used the method posted in the original thread, to check month of manufacture for my Nano AMT
Uday, are you sure about this? A recent post on the VIN decoder page also seems to suggest that Tata is still using the old format.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3848866
Old 6th December 2015, 21:18   #657
BHPian

My nano Genx Manual is inching close to 7000 km in less than six months. Drove back from Chennai to Trivandrum via Rajapalayam two weeks back. I'm in love with this car for sure. The car was definitely not nervous as I expected at speeds of 90 - 100 kmph and could comfortably maintain such speeds.

Air Con is excellent, front seats offered good support, controls were light, steering was amazing, got a FE of 23 kmpl with almost 80% A/C and with all the hill driving around Rajapalayam, Courtalam, Thenmala, Punalur, etc with Two on board and full luggage with rear seat folded.

I'm extremely happy with my ride and will recommend it to anyone who's in need of a budget friendly car and is less bothered about the image.

Over my old Nano, the new one excels in -

1) Better interior quality
2) Way more features
3) Amazing EPS (better than my other cars - Wagon-R and Eon)
4) Much lighter controls to use - including the ABC pedals
5) Seats are more comfy
6) Bigger fuel tank
7) Better suspension
8) Better NVH and overall smoothness of engine
9) Much improved stability at speeds above 70. I was scared above 80 in my old Nano.
10) Much better feel inside the cabin with auto-dimming light, better color-combo (though a dirt magnet).

Issues faced -

1) Thermocol from within the A/C blower is seen to be lying lose in one of the blowers
2) The front speakers fit on the dash-board send out a few squeaks off-late. Need to check them at the earliest.

Hoping to post my Ownership thread soon.

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 10:37   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Over my old Nano, the new one excels in -
That's great news. But Still I would say that "my Old Sunshine Yellow Nano is better than your Gen X Nano". I had almost finalized my decision to upgrade to newer one but I had to cancel it since I am in so much love with my Old Nano. My Old Nano is doing excellent job. I am taking it to highways quite regularly and it has never disappointed me. With no maintenance and good fuel efficiency I find it hard to let it go.

Issue Faced:
*Hard Clutch
*Sometimes or Rarely it doesn't Crank (Its not exactly an issue)

Worth Sharing:
Sometimes I take my Nano for a drive just to listen to music as it has got good music system installed and the experience is great!
zaheer5776 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 14:09   #659
BHPian

Hi all,
we have booked a nano AMT some time in August, and the dealer says that its available for delivery now (after 12 weeks!).
I was of the opinion that there is no December discount or offers available and why would anybody take it in the month of December, unless they are in extremely critical situation to own a car.

So, I m thinking to purchase and get it registered in Jan instead of December. Is that a right decision or anybody thinks that, its better to take the delivery right away. Yes, I m yet to work out how to get the delivery in Jan, but is it worth pursuing given the depreciation effect that it would have when you buy in December.
Old 7th December 2015, 14:50   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbshankar View Post
Hi all,
we have booked a nano AMT some time in August, and the dealer says that its available for delivery now (after 12 weeks!).
I was of the opinion that there is no December discount or offers available and why would anybody take it in the month of December, unless they are in extremely critical situation to own a car.
Congrats on the booking! You can have a temporary registration for a month or two and then register it in Jan. So the date will change and will be a different year. Also don't take it for service till after registration .

One question, I had already 50+ people telling me not to book a nano as they all think its a very cheap car both in terms of price and quality(though none of them have driven or sat in one) and some made ridiculous comments such as "its an auto! why would buy that".

How did you feel when people made such comments ? I am sure you would heard a few comments like above.( Not that such comments matter )

Most Viewed