Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 21:09   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
mercedised : Nice review. Being a Nano owner, I have few questions :

1) Has the AC been updated or carried over from the older models?
2) Has there been an improvement in NVH levels compared to earlier models?
NVH looks good. I drove with A/c on, and was comfortable inside. I really do not remember the engine note.

Was there any problem with the A/c ? The blower did sound a tad noisy, but cooling was good.

Quote:
a4anurag : Was casually browsing Tata Nano GenX website and came across these goodies for interested owners and Nano Fans!

Tata Nano @ EBay
Been there awhile now. But prices are crazy ,, this should have been a branding exercise ,, but looks more like a profit making venture.

Quote:
V-16 : My car will be only a city-use car for short errands and to drive in otherwise non drivable places like say Crawford market on any busy day.
That is something that other cars will find it hard to beat. You can take it into spaces that you would not have ventured into with a sedan or often even a hatch.

Quote:
GrammarNazi : @Aditya, you really found the ride unpleasantly bouncy?
I didnt find it bouncy - unless there was a sharp undulation. Normal rough roads was not uncomfortable.

Quote:
wildsdi5530 : Where is the battery?
I think still below the passenger seat.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 21:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think still below the passenger seat.
Battery is below driver's seat. Jack is fit below passenger seat.
Old 20th May 2015, 00:02   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Been there awhile now. But prices are crazy ,, this should have been a branding exercise ,, but looks more like a profit making venture.
I agree. A publicity stunt I guess and to draw attention of the online shoppers to know that a Gen X Nano is coming.

Prices indeed are crazy and seems to be many were bought before the listing was closed.
Old 20th May 2015, 00:16   #64
BHPian

I was really waiting for this review with the hope that I'll find this a nice car to buy while selling off my Figo because I need an automatic due to a problematic left knee. Zest XTA is out of budget and I'm not really fond of the Marutis having been an owner of one in the past. Quite disappointing, the first impressions here.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 00:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
100% agree - I'd add some more features like ABS, Airbags, 14' rims and a 5th gear. I know this will bump the cost by almost 2.5L think about what this will do. The Nano may be perceived as a safer car. The key is 'Safe' and Nano has almost tons of sales due to that word missing from its perception armoury. From this point on Tata could re-start the journey and introduce the next gen Nano (not face lift). For all you know, it may actually give a boost to its sibling cars as well.
Not sure about the 5th gear but ABS and airbags can be added for less than 30k for both.
Old 20th May 2015, 08:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Was waiting for this review and thank you for putting it up on the launch day itself

Two things that disappointed me are
1. No remote opening fuel filler
2. Still have to open the bonnet to fill the car up

Having said that, the consolation is that the fuel tank is now 30 litres and gives the Nano a range of approximately 600 kilometres which means you now have to fill it only once a fortnight under normal driving conditions
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 09:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

The Nano has suddenly become a much more credible product with the improvements. The addition of a openable hatch, the upgraded interiors and the tasteful design elements go a long way in making this a valid option for those looking out for a budget ride and those looking out for a cheap city runabout.

With the underpowered engine I don't think that the Nano is going to mount a serious challenge to the Marutis. However one crucial element is that the Nano cabin feels much more roomier than the Altos which should drive some customers to pick this as an option.

I started reading the review with a mind to evaluate it as a replacement for my i10 auto which has BMW equalling mileage figures. However the underpowered engine and weak brakes was not too encouraging.

Kudos to Tatas. Since 1999 I haven't seen an automaker in India bring out improvements at the pace that they do (Basic engineering flaws not withstanding). Over the last year the gulf between their product and the current state of the market has really come down and in the case of products like the Bolt a match. However the crappy dealership experience which I unfortunately faced recently is still largely unchanged.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 20th May 2015 at 09:23.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 10:53   #68
BHPian

Nano is a very good city car. It ends there. Dont take it on the highway. I would say for the new Alto, never ever take it on the highway unless you crave for power and not safety, and leave your life to GOD's mercy. Car is twice as powerful, larger in size, yet the 755 Kg weight is the same as the Nano. It is a good overrated tin box. Maruti wont use Boron steel or Carbon steel to keep the weight in check. Nano wont run above 100 and many will not maintain that speed for long, hence its relatively safer than Alto. I am sure many will disagree.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2015 at 13:26. Reason: Language
vijaycool is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2015, 11:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

Funny comments about taking Nano to highway or not. The fact is that this is NOT a highway car and there is no point discussing this topic.

However, one observation, the brake pedal is the size of a normal manual car brake pedal. Which means left foot braking will not be easy. Had it been otherwise the right ankle had got much needed respite, at the cost of working the left leg a little bit.
Old 20th May 2015, 11:07   #70
BHPian

A Good review for a Good Car!

AMT in a Nano will be a boon for specially women.

However, personally feel that the interiors on the XM/XMA with black and red/silver inserts make it look more classy, whereas on the XTA, it's the ebony colored dash.

On the pricing front, it hits the right spot, no doubt. Kudos to Tata
Old 20th May 2015, 11:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

The launch report in today's Mint says that the XMA variant is made to order. This is a very good move, IMO. They will focus on selling XTA but if someone wants a cheaper version they can always order one.

They could be following the same strategy for the XE variant.
Old 20th May 2015, 12:42   #72
ARG
BHPian

TATA Motors, I would buy this car!

By the next Quarter, I'd be in the market for a car that my wife and I can use for short commutes and runabouts, in a very crowded Tier-2 town in Kerala - and for now, it's a consideration set of One!

And to put that into context, let me share my posts on this forum, from 2010 and 2013!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3204706

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2160463
Old 20th May 2015, 12:55   #73
BANNED

The review of the Nano AMT is as comprehensive any other and that is the reason that Team-bhp is our favourite way of interacting with the Auto world.
Well done.

The new Nano with /without AMT is a marked improvement over the earlier versions.
The budget look has been transformed into an aspirational one.

Given the effort that Tata has put into this venture in recent times we must appreciate the positives a lot more. The long list of negatives by the reviewer could have been much smaller.
We must remember that we never make the same demands from a Maruti or a Hyundai. Apart from a murmur or two about the poor leg space or rubbery gear shift of an Alto, or the attitude of Hyundai ASS, we never expect more from them in the way we do from a manufacturer of a less successful car.

This Nano has a huge set of of pluses and we could do well to recognise and admire them.

The talk about the Nano (specifically) not being a highway car is unfair...by the same yardstick neither is an Alto or an Eon. Why is there so little focus on their negatives anywhere ?
One must not flog a poorer selling car always assuming that the poor sales figure is because of poor quality or performance. It is amusing to see the expectations of people...powered mirrors, remote opening boot, petrol tank lid, leather interiors, 3 point rear seat belts, alloys, all discs, etc etc.
And to think that most of these features arent offered by other companies as well. While in that vein, why not look for traction control, EBD, sun roof and active suspension !
Anyway, I have soundly criticised the Nano detractors to the point of being accused of being a Tata stooge.
I admire honest effort; that is all. And the Nano effort is commendable.

Last edited by fiestarry : 20th May 2015 at 12:57.
fiestarry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:36   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The GenX Nano retains its familiar shape. The MT variant weighs 25 kilos more, while the AMT brings yet another 30 kilos. AMT tips the scales between 755 - 765 kg (that's in the ballpark of the Alto AMT which has twice the power!):
So, what contributes the weight? How can the Nano with such a small engine and form weighs so much? Does any of that weight result in anything useful to the user?
Old 20th May 2015, 13:50   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
So, what contributes the weight? How can the Nano with such a small engine and form weighs so much? Does any of that weight result in anything useful to the user?
Quoting from the review regarding the reasons for increase of weight:

Quote:
  • Rear section (C-Pillar area) had to be significantly beefed up for the opening tail-gate.
  • Tata engineers claim to have improved the torsional stiffness by using stronger materials and strengthened members.
  • The additional length has helped the Nano gain some more crumple zone, enhancing frontal protection.
  • In addition, the doors get side impact beams, and there is an anti-roll bar as well
Check the link below:
Structural changes

Weight means some kind of stability and lesser prone to sways during cross winds. It is bad for performance and FE though, hence the sluggish nature of the car @ 50 PS!

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th May 2015 at 13:52.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed