Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 21:37   #856
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

@John Doe, 3-4 cars of out of 10 cars that Tata Motors make are not very reliable, in a sense, are plagued by recurring niggles? Isn't that a high figure?

@Uday, I have also gone through this thread quite a bit and these issues do bother me somewhat. Due to these, I am still pondering over it: to go ahead or not. I guess, if at all I go for it, it has to be a blind-folded leap of faith, as someone have mentioned it before in this thread.

The question is: are there ways to ascertain that these issue would not bother during a pre-delivery inspection? Headlight glass cracking issue or the faulty fuel gauge probably can be addressed somewhat, but definitely not the AMT problem if at all.

Or, I am simply becoming paranoid about it? Damm.

I have done another TD yesterday along with my wife. The positive thing that came out is: I got used to the braking behavior of the car so no scares there.

However, I got into a stretch where there were crawling traffic and I could not quite manage a smooth ride: the car was moving with slight jerks time to time.

Damodar/Uday, since you have been driving the XTA since last couple of months, what are your views on this "jerky movement"?

I am quite used to driving my current car, an automatic, in such situations.
Could it be that I could not modulate well my accelerator pedal inputs for this particular car? That, there is a learning curve to module the accelerator pedal of this car also? I am inclined to believe this unless you tell me otherwise.

Note: I must mention about the sales lady from Concorde Motors, Kadubeeshanahalli, ORR, who have been patiently following up with me on this matter. She is a true professional.

Regards
Pratim
Old 4th March 2016, 23:49   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post

The question is: are there ways to ascertain that these issue would not bother during a pre-delivery inspection? Headlight glass cracking issue or the faulty fuel gauge probably can be addressed somewhat, but definitely not the AMT problem if at all.

Damodar/Uday, since you have been driving the XTA since last couple of months, what are your views on this "jerky movement"?
The Magneti Marelli AMT in Nano is the same system which is in Alto/celerio/wagonr. So the probability of getting a car with a faulty unit should be the same across these models. Regarding other niggles most of them are minor except for alignment or wheel bearing failures because they can take only a certain level of abuse.
On the jerky movement i cannot comment on the condition of the car you drove but would say the accelerator input is the key to get a smooth drive in this car. In my case it took a couple of weeks to understand it, nothing too serious but definetly need to spend some time behind the wheel.
But one thing i can say about my experience with the car is its been a load of fun and enjoyed each drive in it post the running in period. I feel a lot people miss the fun part in the test drive due to the condition of the test drive cars at the dealerships or the short time they spend doing that.
If you are seeing too much of a risk in buying the Nano i would suggest you to test drive the Alto Amt and see what you are losing out.

Last edited by damodar : 4th March 2016 at 23:55.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 08:21   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@John Doe, 3-4 cars of out of 10 cars that Tata Motors make are not very reliable, in a sense, are plagued by recurring niggles? Isn't that a high figure?
Your conclusion may be correct, but the logic quoted isn't so. Go to a hospital and you will see only sick people. For a statistical science supported conclusion you need to have a random sample from all cars made/sold, not just the ones written about here.

For what it is worth, I have had a glitch free 30 months from my 2013 Nano. No generally valid conclusion can be drawn from this, it is just another data point.
Old 5th March 2016, 09:17   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, I got into a stretch where there were crawling traffic and I could not quite manage a smooth ride: the car was moving with slight jerks time to time.

Could it be that I could not modulate well my accelerator pedal inputs for this particular car? That, there is a learning curve to module the accelerator pedal of this car also? I am inclined to believe this unless you tell me otherwise.
An AMT will never be as smooth as a regular AT. From your earlier post, understand that you drive a City Automatic. The City AT is a super smooth car and you will not get that smoothness in an AMT especially a small engine car like the Nano. So if you compare, you will always feel the Nano jerky.

As you have mentioned, once you drive a bit you will get tuned to the best way to drive it to ensure it is as smooth as possible.

You can look at the Alto k10 AMT also if you are not able to get convinced by the nano. Can opt for optional airbags too. Or if not in a hurry, wait for the Kwid AMT that should come in the next few months.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th March 2016 at 09:20.
Old 8th March 2016, 16:37   #860
BHPian

Quote:

@Uday, I have also gone through this thread quite a bit and these issues do bother me somewhat. Due to these, I am still pondering over it: to go ahead or not. I guess, if at all I go for it, it has to be a blind-folded leap of faith, as someone have mentioned it before in this thread.

Or, I am simply becoming paranoid about it? Damm.

I have done another TD yesterday along with my wife. The positive thing that came out is: I got used to the braking behavior of the car so no scares there.

Note: I must mention about the sales lady from Concorde Motors, Kadubeeshanahalli, ORR, who have been patiently following up with me on this matter. She is a true professional.

Regards
Pratim
Hi Pratim,

I own a 2012 LX (AMT not available then ). Since the purchase I commute to my native which about 1300 kms (to n fro) and I do this trip twice a year. Till date I have NEVER EVER faced any issues with my nano.

Apart from regular service I have not had to replace any major parts in my nano.

About AMT, I really cant comment but from what I read in the forum, I guess till date we have just ONE of our guys in here replacing the unit. Also like someone pointed out, there are may other cars on road who use the AMT from the same manufacturer so I guess, if it was indeed a problem then many would have been already complaining about the AMT.

One thing for sure, every time I drive the car it gives me a big grin on my face and that's not changed till today
Old 8th March 2016, 17:44   #861
BHPian

Quote:

I felt this the first few times I drove the Nano AMT. The trick is to ease off the brake and let the "creep" mode provide the throttle input at crawling speeds. This is much much smoother than with manual throttle input. Once traffic clears smoothly accelerate away.

In my updates have covered 955 Km with my "Sylvie" . AC has been mostly on except when people complain its getting too cold. I have fuelled up when the DTE shows 70 Km and the gauge is on the last red bar. Also for all the fuel ups I have done so far I have not exceeded 20L of fuel consumption. I do wish the tank was bigger - would make it really convenient to use.
  • The first tankfull I drove with the default "Auto" mode. Got 12.9 within city (covered 254 Km).
  • Second tankfull drove with "Sports" mode enabled partially (only to start at signals and for overtaking.) and got 14.1 (covered 256 Km). Fully with stop and go city traffic.
  • Third tankfull was with "Sports" mode on almost fully got 12.34 (covered 240 Km). However was sitting in the car with engine on talking with a friend for over an hour without moving).
  • Am on my fourth tankfull and this time been using "Sports" mode and trying another test of easing off on the throttle whenever possible and letting the car coast in gear (had noticed the IFE shoots up all the way to 40 ). The Trip Average FE from the Fuelup so far shows 14.4. This also fully within the city.

Overall average FE so far is now 13.1.

I keep updating the consumption data for my vehicles here: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/sjcherian

Am enjoying driving the Nano on the weekends (Weekdays I drive my Thar). Its been able to more than fully take care of its duties ferrying family around the city on errands /shopping.

Only annoyance so far has been the lack of cup holders and also wishing the fuel tank was bigger.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 17:10   #862
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Hi Pratim,

One thing for sure, every time I drive the car it gives me a big grin on my face and that's not changed till today
+1 to that.

@pratim,
I own a Nano 2010 LX model and agree in broad terms with T Bone on ownership issues with the Nano. The 4 year warranty is a boon. I have had a change of starter motor (change of design by TATA) along with loom and battery terminals' design change. This was after the fire events in 2011. Next was a change of A arms of the front suspension, the improved ones along with shocker changes ( as in the 2013 Nano). Also, a change of onw auto window slider (this had failed) under warranty.

Parts' failure include a malfunctioning fuel pump change (after 5 years) and a broken alternator fan belt that also caused a change of battery (wife uses it and did not notice the tell tale battery drain lamp ON) till it gave up ! The front "bonnet" hold up rod mount has sheared off due to rusting, have to fill fuel by holding the lid with one hand now.

Run about 41K kms now, throughout in Delhi, chief user is my wife and me when I visit Delhi. I otherwise use my ARIA in Allahabad. It is an excellent car for city use, unbeatable maneuverability (mine does not have PS), 17-18 kpl consistently in summer with AC, 20+ in winters. For the cost and the paltry maintenance costs, nothing can beat this cute bug.

Our next car (small one) will also be a Nano, for sure.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 11:49   #863
Senior - BHPian

Hema Malini bought a Nano. She's liked it apparently & tweeted about it and hopes to drive it herself around Vrindavan, Mathura !

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-cc20o8muuaavhpq.jpg
Pic Ctsy : Herself.

P.S. : We keep politics out of the forum, but I guess she is a well known personality even otherwise.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 10th March 2016 at 11:51.
Old 10th March 2016, 18:59   #864
BHPian

I was planning on getting one for my wife. Can someone recommend a good dealership in North Bangalore (Hebbal area) for a test drive and possible booking? Also is there a price hike due to the recent budget announcement?
Old 10th March 2016, 22:08   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
I was planning on getting one for my wife. Can someone recommend a good dealership in North Bangalore (Hebbal area) for a test drive and possible booking? Also is there a price hike due to the recent budget announcement?
Have you checked out Aadya motors ? They are on the outer ring road opposite Lumbini gardens, on the right side before the Veerannapalya flyover while going from Hebbal towards KR Puram. Can't rate dealership experiences as it is never consistent, but better to stick to a dealership/workshop to which you have easy access, so that its not a hassle to go there for free services/recalls
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 22:47   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Have you checked out Aadya motors ? They are on the outer ring road opposite Lumbini gardens, on the right side before the Veerannapalya flyover while going from Hebbal towards KR Puram. Can't rate dealership experiences as it is never consistent, but better to stick to a dealership/workshop to which you have easy access, so that its not a hassle to go there for free services/recalls
Thanks. No idea why the dealer locator (on www.tatanano.com) does not show Aadya. Instead a little away it shows "Ebony automobiles pvt ltd" - never heard that name!

BTW I was checking ex-showroom price of Nano XTA and it looks to me the price has been hiked by almost 10-15K? So now OTR in Bangalore is coming to about 3.8L
Old 11th March 2016, 15:51   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
Thanks. No idea why the dealer locator (on www.tatanano.com) does not show Aadya. Instead a little away it shows "Ebony automobiles pvt ltd" - never heard that name!
Aadya and Ebony are same, however, never got a good response from them and hence went to Prerana in Rajajinagar. No regrets with that decision. Not only did Prerana convey a probable time for delivery, but delivered much earlier than that. Same cant be said for Aadya, who didnt give me the confidence that they would be able to deliver even with the 12-14 weeks lead time they were asking for.

Suggest you visit both Aadya and Prerana before deciding.

Since the Nano numbers have been dwindling over the last 3 months, you should try and strike a bargain, last I remember, Insurance worth 12-14K was being waived off.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 17:51   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Aadya and Ebony are same, however, never got a good response from them and hence went to Prerana in Rajajinagar. No regrets with that decision. Not only did Prerana convey a probable time for delivery, but delivered much earlier than that. Same cant be said for Aadya, who didnt give me the confidence that they would be able to deliver even with the 12-14 weeks lead time they were asking for.

Suggest you visit both Aadya and Prerana before deciding.

Since the Nano numbers have been dwindling over the last 3 months, you should try and strike a bargain, last I remember, Insurance worth 12-14K was being waived off.
Thank you. Today I took test drive of the Nano XTA and I feel it feels like a real cheap car (material, build quality) but given the price it's a value for money proposition for an automatic. You are right about the offer. Till this month end the comprehensive insurance is being offered for free (~ 12.5K). When pressed for additional discount the dealer offered free fabric seat covers or a car cover but refused to offer any cash discount. I have left the decision to my wife since it's primarily for her.
Old 25th March 2016, 11:26   #869
BANNED

Hello fellow BHPians... hope all of you are rocking... want t give an one month update on mt nano xta...

do pardon the missing capital letters as the 'shift' key is stuck...

i am in live with the nano xta.

in the 26 days since i have taken delivery of the nano xta, i have not even started my city, alto or maruti 800... that is how good the nano is.... let me exlain

1. city driving is a breeze... no clutch no gear shifts no tension... left leg is so free now.
2. excellent maneuverability with very short turning radius and very responsive power steering makes driving through narrow roads of thiruvananthapuram a pleasure.
3. finding a parking spot is so easy... i am now parking in pockets where an auto fellow would think twice before parking.
4. tall driving position offers excellent road view.
5. ingress and egress is a breeze... no more stooping into and out of the car.
6. phenomenal leg room for rear bench even after front seats are pushed back to the limits makes rear seat passengers very happy.
7. factory fitted audio is good with very good bluetooth connectivity.. you cannot lay songs over bluetooth though.
8. within two days of starting to drive on the amt, me and my swife are able to redict the exact moment the gear shall shift and have learned to ease up on the pedal by reflex thereby ensuring even the minor jerk with shifting ceases to exist.
9. before the xta was added to my stable, i faced an uphill task making my wife drive the city/alto/800... today she snatches the keys to the xta from my hands as we go out on any drive be it for pleasure or to work.
10. excellent mileage... i a am able to get around 19 to 20 km on an average over the last month

to sum up... i believe the decision to buy nano xta is one of the better decisions i have taken in life...

so... fr all of you contemplating whether r not to go for it, my humble advice is... JUST GO FOR IT... it is worth every penny.

Thanks a ton TML for rolling out this gem f a car.
blueinkbottle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:05   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinkbottle View Post
7. factory fitted audio is good with very good bluetooth connectivity.. you cannot lay songs over bluetooth though.
I am able to play songs from my Motorola as well as Karbonn via bluetooth. Did you try with different phones? Once paired with bluetooth you need to hit the call answer button to listen to the music being played on your phone.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks