Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2016, 13:41   #871
BANNED

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I am able to play songs from my Motorola as well as Karbonn via bluetooth. Did you try with different phones? Once paired with bluetooth you need to hit the call answer button to listen to the music being played on your phone.

thank you so much... i have a motog3... i will try and let you know... thanks again
Old 25th March 2016, 20:05   #872
BHPian

Pair it again and try. Switch on the audio system, press the end call button on the system for 5 seconds. The display will say deleted. Then switch off the system and switch on. Press the call answer button and now use your phone to pair it. Check the volume levels on your phone and try.
Old 27th March 2016, 16:42   #873
BHPian

Hello all. Got my XTA back in Oct'15. Purchased primarily for short runabouts in the city, and the car excels at this. AFE has been low at about 10.5 to 11.5 in the city for me. Completed about 1600 kms so far.

For quite a while there was some random knocking sound from the rear suspension of the car. But couldn't pin point it. Couldn't replicate it consistently either. Generally over speed breakers or potholes car would behave fine, but often on certain rough patches there was a discomforting knocking sound. At the first service in Jan the workshop guys didn't find anything out of place nor could i replicate the sound in a short drive with them. However since a few weeks its been louder and more frequent. Visited a different service center. This time it was identified as a busted shock absorber at the rear left. They needed to keep the car for a couple of days, open the suspension and verify it. Next day got a call that it was indeed a correct diagnosis and they have replaced the faulty shock. Covered under warranty and wasn't charged anything. Quite satisfied with their service as i got the car back the very next day i dropped it of.

My fuel gauge does hit the red dot once the car has run 160 odd kms on a full tank and generally there is a good 10 liters still in the tank. I hoped the reserve notification would be much later at about 20 liters of consumption rather than the 15 it is at now. I don't know if this is a faulty gauge. The service advisor was hopeless in this case as he insisted ALL Nano have a 15 liter tank. His confidence in the assertion and continual repetition indicated he could have easily bet his life on this matter if it came to it. Had to show the Nano XTA specs on the flyer lying on his desk and he was scratching his head for a while.

Overeall very pleased with the car. 90% of the time it is driven alone, but when needed spacious enough for 4. Airy cabin and the fit and finish of most parts is above par considering the price point of the car. However I feel the latching mechanism of the 2 glove compartments on the dashboard may not last too long. Their operation is already a hit or a miss within a few months of ownership with sparse usage.

Ride quality as indicated by many is a weak point. While it is manageable over bumps and potholes, what annoys is the jerkiness on smooth roads. While Tarmac roads are fine, one thing I haven't quite figured is why it is so bad over Concrete roads. On a stretch of newly laid concrete section, it was as bad as a horse-cart.
Old 27th March 2016, 17:05   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_r34 View Post
Ride quality as indicated by many is a weak point. While it is manageable over bumps and potholes, what annoys is the jerkiness on smooth roads. While Tarmac roads are fine, one thing I haven't quite figured is why it is so bad over Concrete roads. On a stretch of newly laid concrete section, it was as bad as a horse-cart.
This is wheel and tires issue. In general, concrete roads are too hard and noise/harshness is manyfold compated with tarred roads. Are you running on too high tyre pressure ? If yes, lower it a bit and see the difference.
Old 30th March 2016, 18:11   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Hi Pratim,

I own a 2012 LX (AMT not available then ). Since the purchase I commute to my native which about 1300 kms (to n fro) and I do this trip twice a year. Till date I have NEVER EVER faced any issues with my nano.

Apart from regular service I have not had to replace any major parts in my nano.

One thing for sure, every time I drive the car it gives me a big grin on my face and that's not changed till today
I am thinking of buying an XTA for my wife and on a recent business trip to Sri Lanka was pleasantly surprised to see the street flooded with Nanos. I travelled in a Nano Taxi there and was shocked to see the odometer at 270,000+

I asked the driver and in broken English he conveyed that he had no issues other than regular service, clutch pad and brake pad replacements sue to heavy traffic in Colombo. He also said that there are many Nanos commonly found that are 250,000 kms plus and merrily chugging away.

Now that's a wonderful confidence maker for me. Fingers crossed. Will post when I get the XTA.
Ferruccio is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 18:17   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I am thinking of buying an XTA for my wife and on a recent business trip to Sri Lanka was pleasantly surprised to see the street flooded with Nanos. I travelled in a Nano Taxi there and was shocked to see the odometer at 270,000+

I asked the driver and in broken English he conveyed that he had no issues other than regular service, clutch pad and brake pad replacements sue to heavy traffic in Colombo. He also said that there are many Nanos commonly found that are 250,000 kms plus and merrily chugging away.

Now that's a wonderful confidence maker for me. Fingers crossed. Will post when I get the XTA.
I am on my 4th Nano, the latest one is the AMT/Power steering. The reason why the Nano engines last so long is the craftfull use of electronics Tata Motors has employed. The engine just never revs to anywhere near its maximum ! The electronics cut in just as the engine is past its useful tourque range ! In this way, there is absolutely no chance of any high revs being used, and saves it from abuse ! Full marks to Tata Motors !! It is a pity people look down at the Nano, to me it is really a great feat in engineering !!!
shramik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 18:19   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there are many Nanos commonly found that are 250,000 kms plus and merrily chugging away.
That is remarkable. I have been told by taxi drivers in Singapore that they prefer Toyota over Merc because the former go about 400,000 kms before any work is needed on the engine, while in stop/go driving typical for cities, Mercs need engine work by the time 125-150K kms are done.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 18:38   #878
BHPian

Quote:

I think the performance depends on the road conditions. If you have good, plain roads without potholes, the Nano (or any car for that matter) would last very long. In India, we don't have that luxury (I think ours is the only country in the world where roads within the city are worse than the highways).
This, and the fact that the fundamentals of the car (engine, electronics and suspension) are quite well designed might have contributed to the longevity.
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 14:41   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
Tata niggles was a term often heard of but with the dawn of Zest era, I always thought that Tata niggles are a thing from the past. But see, how wrong I was. No matter how beautiful they may make a car, how premium interiors they may offer, the inherit qualities do not go easy; they are in fact, here to stay.

And the one I experienced wasn’t a niggle, it was a breakdown.
Jeepster, thanks for a well written summary of your experience. I respect your agony but I would not be so harsh. I have been a Safari owner for 5 years now and not on a single occasion have I been stranded. I recently got a new Storme 6-speed and am now looking to trade-in the old Safari for a Nano XTA.

The reason I bothered to respond is I had the exact same experience that you described - that is, fuel gauge shows FULL, tank is empty and me stranded in the middle of the road with the vehicle I had before my Safari. That was a top-spec VW Passat, Rs. 42 Lakhs on-road.

You will agree that it would be silly of me to curse VW as a brand for that small incident and suspect their quality. Yes, Tata has had more than it's share of niggles. But from what I hear from my friends and neighbours, these days untoward instances are rare.
Ferruccio is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 18:57   #880

Keeping aside the "GenX" thing (that I posted in this thread) aside for now, I went for another TD. 3 adults + 1 child. I wanted to check uphill drive this time...I mean, not a real 'hill', a decent slope! It did good on the slope. Took us up in 3rd on the display. The slope probably was a 30 degree one. Nevertheless, found out a few things:

1) The AMT has a 5th, but when you drive using M (+/-), it has 4 as a max

2) The keyless entry is fine. Is that called Central Lock too? My child was able to get out of the car without the ignition shut down! Of course, the car was idle, but Engine running at N! There was no switch inside for a lock release. When I asked, I was told this is the correct behaviour! Which means, there has to be something 'else' as central lock or some lock! The standard accessories list doesn't have any central lock option for Nano AMT!

3) I was told that one can shift between A and M while driving! What does the user manual say? I believe I read somewhere 'one shouldn't'! But if doable, its a handy feature!

4) There is a 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 year AMC contract option with the max price tag at around 7k. This is besides warranty that comes free for 4yr / 40k (or 60k?).

5) AC was a bit too much for me! It was kinda fast cooling but more than required. Probably the fan regulation is the key here!

Rest of the things like - 'creep' activates after one or two seconds, gear shift recognizable easily etc are same that I got!

I do look forward to go for it as our 2nd car unless there is another option in the same price range before monsoon ...
CheersHonda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:42   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheersHonda View Post
2) The keyless entry is fine. Is that called Central Lock too? My child was able to get out of the car without the ignition shut down! Of course, the car was idle, but Engine running at N! There was no switch inside for a lock release. When I asked, I was told this is the correct behaviour! Which means, there has to be something 'else' as central lock or some lock! The standard accessories list doesn't have any central lock option for Nano AMT!

3) I was told that one can shift between A and M while driving! What does the user manual say? I believe I read somewhere 'one shouldn't'! But if doable, its a handy feature!
#2 - you press the driver side door lock push tab to lock all 4 doors. This is manually done. Annoying but you get used to it.

#3 - This is perfectly fine and can be done and comes in handy to take small inclines etc in 1st gear or for acceleration.
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 22:25   #882
BHPian

Thanks to all who have posted info on the Nano amt. I have a question regarding roof racks or roof rails for the Nano. Is it possible to install them on the Nano ? Not for any heavy suitcases or such but more like a shopping bag or food bag. I remember seeing in a movie the Nano as a taxi that had a roof rack - driver was dropping someone off at an airport.

It would be a really convenient option if it can be done. Also would you have to drill holes for this or is there any other mechanism for this ?
Old 5th April 2016, 05:38   #883
BHPian

Quote:
1) The AMT has a 5th, but when you drive using M (+/-), it has 4 as a max
The 5th gear is quite tall and can be engaged in M mode too but you have to cross 60 - 65kph speed. Else it will just give out a warning beep.

Quote:
Apart from what sjcherian has mentioned, There is no child lock for the rear doors. Having a child unattended in the rear seat is not a good idea in my opinion.

Quote:
M is nothing but a pseudo A mode. In M the gear changes will take place only at the min and max rpm for the engine unless the driver uses the + and - to change gears somewhere in between. In both cases the clutch action is managed by the TCU. So there is no problem in switching between M and A while driving.

Quote:
4) There is a 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 year AMC contract option with the max price tag at around 7k. This is besides warranty that comes free for 4yr / 40k (or 60k?).
Warranty and AMC are two different things. The car comes with 4 year warranty which will replace failed parts during the period free of cost. But AMC covers the cost of consumables and probably some amount of labour too(not sure) and can be used in your routine service for replacing oil, filter, brake shoes etc. These consumable or wearable parts are not covered under warranty and the customer has to pay for these even in warranty period.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 09:37   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
I am on my 4th Nano, the latest one is the AMT/Power steering.
Whenever I come across such statements it makes me so happy and It makes me feel that there are bigger Nano fans than me too! I always have a thought for an upgrade but then something about my current Nano holds me back and I am not able to get a newer one. And I also feel pity at people who look Nano as something like untouchable :-)

Someone said that It always brings smile to ones face after each ride in Nano and I also have similar experience. Though I drive Santro also but its Nano which leaves me with a smile every time I drive it. And sometimes just to get that smile I drive Nano!
zaheer5776 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:16   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
I always have a thought for an upgrade but then something about my current Nano holds me back and I am not able to get a newer one.
Zaheer, I completely agree with your statement and I feel the same way.

If your current Nano is working fine , in good shape and is reliable, there is no real reason to exchange it for a new model Nano.

I dont see any dramatic improvement in the car over the years. The only pressing need for change would be the AMT.

My Nano is nearly 6.5 years old, and runs like a charm
john doe is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks