Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2016, 12:20   #901
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
Air in the braking system means that the pedal does down, but after pumping the pedal, you regain pedal pressure & regain braking efficeincy. This is clearly lack of vacuum.
I agree with you, in your description of the symptoms of air in the braking system.

But in the 5 years and 55,ooo KMS of driving a Nano, I've never sensed or even heard about such a problem as you describe.

I hope that you get to the root of this.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 12:25   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
I agree with you, in your description of the symptoms of air in the braking system.

But in the 5 years and 55,ooo KMS of driving a Nano, I've never sensed or even heard about such a problem as you describe.

I hope that you get to the root of this.
Just to clarify, I have never faced this problem in the manual Nano's I have owned. It has only surfaced in the AMT. I suspect in the AMT version, we are "robbed" of the engine's braking action whereas in the AMT, the engine braking is almost completely absent, thereby putting more strain on the brakes. Moreover, with engine braking, vaccuum generation in the inlet manifold is anyway available in plenty !!!
shramik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 16:52   #903
Senior - BHPian

If you don't know a tech that you can trust for run of the mill stuff, who are you planning to entrust this safety critical and complicated modification to?
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 20:17   #904
BHPian

Hi..
Glad that I found this post.
I own Nano LX CNG and I face same issue.
I was looking for someone like me to discuss and get to root of this.
I face this issue while crowling and while AC is ON.
As I drive and press clutch then car moves forward while in momentum and then brake suddenly becomes hard.
It is difficult situation to deal especially during bumper to bumper traffic.
Leave the clutch and brakes come alive again.
Old 24th April 2016, 20:52   #905
Senior - BHPian

In Pune, I suggest you visit Concorde Motors on the bypass after Baner and have their service manager take a look at this. I have found good capability there, once you reach the right people.
Old 24th April 2016, 21:37   #906
BHPian

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160421_152159775-1.jpg

Hello guys,

It feels great to share with you all that my GenX Nano (manual) has completed 12,100 kms in the last 10 months it's been with me! I just completed a long highway trip (2100 kms) - Trivandrum - Ernakulam - Thrissur - Coimbatore - Thrissur - Chennai - Rajapalayam - Thenmala - Trivandrum - and have also done to & fro trips to Chennai earlier too!

The journey with the car has so far been wonderful. I serviced the car post 10,000 kms in Coimbatore and there were no niggles to be reported (except for one minor rattle which they didn't fix either). One of my foglamp was cracked and they replaced it under warranty too. Since i've got a decent experience with the new nano and the Old Nano, i'l just update my thoughts about them -

1) The New Nano is better in almost every means in comparison to the old Nano
2) Controls are so light now - even lighter than my Wagon-R & Eon - the best car for the city!
3) FE - the average FE and it's consistency has improved over the old one even though the ARAI figures are lower. I steadily get around 20 kmpl versus the 18 kmpl of the old Nano, in the same route that i follow within the city
4) Engine is way smoother and less intruding into the cabin, though I must also say that it's definitely noisier than almost every other car available here (sans - Ambassador, pickup vans maybe )
5) Plastics are way better too - Especially the steering and control stalks. The glovebox and speaker housing is prone to very mild rattles.
6) Seats support you much better and I wasn't uncomfortable by any means after 14 hours of continuous driving!
7) Larger Fuel tank is a boon and easily gives you 400 kms before it starts blinking!
8) Air-con is a chiller and blower speeds have increased - I remember using speed 2 in my previous Nano where as I rarely use speed 2 in the new one.
9) One negative to highlight - removal of Day & Night IRVM - was so useful!

Regarding Fuel Efficiency, there are some interesting facts I noticed during these long drives -

1) Lazy city drives - early upshifts - max speed of 60kmph in 4th - easily gives you 23 kmpl with AC and more than 24 kmpl without AC

2) Spirited city drives - late upshifts - say you rev it upto 60 in 3rd and move a lot in 2nd - FE hovers around 17 to 18 kmpl with AC

3) Heavy traffic - long traffic jams and lots of waiting at signals - Goes as low as 12 kmpl while you keep waiting at signals and increases rapidly as soon as you get moving. Switch off the A/c and the FE increases to around 14 kmpl even while idling on signals.

4) Relaxed Highway drive - max 70kmph - gives you around 23kmpl to 24 kmpl with AC

5) A faster highway drive - mainting speeds of-
80 kmph - FE goes down to 22kmpl
90 kmph - FE goes down further to between 20kmpl to 21 kmpl
100 kmph - FE goes down even further to around 19 to 20 kmpl

A fifth gear might have improved highway driveability. It would be great if AMT users could share the behaviour of the car in the 5th gear! One good thing about this car as i mentioned earlier is the very consistent FE that you can extract in almost any kind of situations!

Highway Road Manners

I was really tensed about how Nano would fare on the Highways especially since I wasn't comfortable in the Kerala highways with my previous Nano. But this one is just way better! Body roll is much lesser (addition of anti-roll bar ?), steering is more precise but light and it doesn't feel scary to hold speeds around 90 kmph provided you do not have cross-winds. Not saying this to boast by any means, but even 100 wasn't as scary as I expected. But once the winds come into play, you will be forced to reduce the speeds to around 70kmph to 80kmph. There's one very interesting thing that I observed while overtaking very large vehicles - as soon as you are done overtaking, the car makes you slightly feel like you got out of vacuum, maybe because the car is tall & light. So make sure you always have both your hands on the steering wheel.

I clearly underestimated the pulling abilities of the Nano. Overtaking was not that difficult as i imagined. At some instances, I made use of the Nitro - button near the AC controls though ( a.k.a switching of the A/c compressor ).

Therefore, I conclude by saying i'm one extremely happy Nano customer by all means and really appreciate Tata Motors to have improved this vehicle drastically in the last 5 years! I do want to say that the customer service attitude needs a lot of improvement, especially in comparison to other major players in the market.

Do feel free to ask any questions!

Cheers!
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160421_183113547.jpg
freakmuzik is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 22:40   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Attachment 1500314

Hello guys,

It feels great to share with you all that my GenX Nano (manual) has completed 12,100 kms in the last 10 months it's been with me!
Attachment 1500315
Hey I was waiting for your update from a long time. Your's was the first gen X nano on the forum and it led me into buying the GenX AMT. And since I could just complete 2500km since July 2015 because its primarily being used as a city runabout, my ownership experience is nothing much to write about. But after reading ownership reports like your's I am pained to see such dismal monthly sales figures for such a wonderful product.
My query to you is how did your wheel alignment hold up till now and did you face any issues with the front wheel bearings?
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 01:22   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, I conclude by saying i'm one extremely happy Nano customer by all means and really appreciate Tata Motors to have improved this vehicle drastically in the last 5 years! I do want to say that the customer service attitude needs a lot of improvement, especially in comparison to other major players in the market.

Do feel free to ask any questions!

Cheers!
This is what a review of car should be. When a car's dynamics and capabilities are understood by the driver, then every car is a wonderful one. Often most of the folks forget this and expect differently and felt frustrated.

Congrats and keep enjoying and have safe trips. Everytime i see a nano i feel the car looks premium than most bestsellers out there.
msk_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 07:25   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Hey I was waiting for your update from a long time. Your's was the first gen X nano on the forum and it led me into buying the GenX AMT. And since I could just complete 2500km since July 2015 because its primarily being used as a city runabout, my ownership experience is nothing much to write about. But after reading ownership reports like your's I am pained to see such dismal monthly sales figures for such a wonderful product.
My query to you is how did your wheel alignment hold up till now and did you face any issues with the front wheel bearings?
I'm surprised with the sales figure too. This car deserves more for sure but I don't think the general public perception has changed that drastically than before. I should also mention here that many of my friends/ relatives who used to hate the Nano have made a complete U-turn in their perception once they sat inside or had a ride in my Nano. My uncle is almost in the verge of buying one too! So it's still the issue where people just keep talking blah-blah about the car without even experiencing it once.

Wheel alignment was fine. There was a slight pulling towards the right on the highways though. I need to get it corrected now. There's one interesting thing to mention here though. Even the slightest of tilts of the roads could affect you perception of alignment. I never realised this in my other cars & I don't know why; maybe because of the 135 section tyres. When the road is slightly banked to the left, you feel the car is pulling to the left. The same way, when two people sit back to back, the car will pull towards that side. I finally inferred that alignment needs to be checked with two persons of almost equal weight - the front passenger & the driver. I'm not sure if my inference is right & request experts to kindly comment on the same. I noticed this when I sat with the SA complaining about the alignment where as soon as the passenger seat was occupied, the car was dead straight. The light & quick steering sort of helps to notice it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
This is what a review of car should be. When a car's dynamics and capabilities are understood by the driver, then every car is a wonderful one. Often most of the folks forget this and expect differently and felt frustrated.

Congrats and keep enjoying and have safe trips. Everytime i see a nano i feel the car looks premium than most bestsellers out there.

Thank you! That's so true. And yeah, the car does really premium. When shod with some alloys, this car looks so well put together and the paint finish, especially, is great.
freakmuzik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 07:51   #910
Senior - BHPian

The low sales figure reflect the reality in the automobile world that it isn't enough to just have a good product for mass market success. Any product that has so much of an interaction with the real world of driving and road conditions also needs quality and consistent after sales service, an area where Tata struggles.

The other problem it has is being caught between stools, in no mans land. It did not offer enough fuel economy to compete with two wheelers even when it wasn't too far from being a one lakh car. And now that it isn't, it doesn't have enough power and fit/finish for the people that get these from other slightly more expensive cars.

I just hope Tata sells enough of them every year to give us continued easy availability of parts and after sales, and not so many that we lose the membership of a somewhat exclusive club!
Old 25th April 2016, 19:17   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If you don't know a tech that you can trust for run of the mill stuff, who are you planning to entrust this safety critical and complicated modification to?
I intend to do this modification myself.
Its quite simple, really, just a cylinder about 4" diameter & 10" long, checked for leakages by applying high vaccuum for 24 hours, and 2 nipples, one to receive the vaccuum pipe from the engine, and the other to connect up with the existing pipe at the servo end.
Old 25th April 2016, 19:31   #912
Senior - BHPian

I am sure you know what you are doing. It isn't an area I would venture into, or even allow anyone I know to do so on any of my cars.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 19:35   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I am sure you know what you are doing. It isn't an area I would venture into, or even allow anyone I know to do so on any of my cars.
I have had some experience in this area.....I used to race & rally my own prepared cars in the '70's, engines, gearbox, suspension et al !!
shramik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 23:50   #914
BHPian

Quote:
One negative to highlight - removal of Day & Night IRVM - was so useful!
HI,

I seem to have read on this very forum, that the Indica IRVM can be fitted to the Nano. Check it out
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 00:53   #915
BHPian

Quote:

I face this problem as well. I used to face it on my old manual twist too as a matter of fact. It is not restricted to the AMT models. The exact scenario in which it occurs seem to be when the engine rpm falls really low along with simultaneous frequent brake usage leading to vacuum depletion. I am attributing this to the distance between the booster that is located in front and the engine at the back unlike other cars where both are up front. Due to the longer connecting hose it probably takes a few seconds to build up vacuum once it gets depleted in the nano while it is not noticeable in other cars.

Quote:

9) One negative to highlight - removal of Day & Night IRVM - was so useful!

Quote:
HI,

I seem to have read on this very forum, that the Indica IRVM can be fitted to the Nano. Check it out
The Indica day/night IRVM is big for the nano. It can be fixed all right but for me it looked huge and odd in the car. So I bought the nano day/night IRVM which suits the car better. It is available as an off the counter spare part.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed