Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2016, 20:51   #961
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Hey BHPians,

One of my gurus has decided to book a Nano GenX XTA for his mother to drive around the city. She is well in her 70s and loved the car. They have decided on the Persian Rose colour.

Concorde has quoted 3.7x OTR.

Any tips, pointers? (Apart from PDI ofcourse). What are the average discounts available? What's the cost of the AMC for 3 or 4 years ?
Old 15th May 2016, 20:55   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
What about the discounts/cashback/bonus offers (upto 65K in discounts, as per newspaper ad), which you typically get from your dealer, when you book online?

Also, with some persuasion, the dealer typically adds some freebies too. Will all this hold for an online booking?
You pay just 5k for booking. Rest of the payment amount will be decided after negotiations and discounts. I bought an XT Genx Nano. I got discounts of around 30k and this was an year back. All discounts you will get based on eligibility and their T&C
Old 16th May 2016, 14:09   #963
BHPian

I have found something interesting in my Nano XTA's behavior this summer. As the temperatures are above 40s I started driving in sport mode most of the time to get quicker AC cooling. Inadvertently I felt the need for less throttle input to maintain my regular commuting speeds in traffic and this has a positive effect on FE which has gone up to 14 KMPL. This is when my car stays in 2nd or 3rd gear most of the time. I can even get perfect gear shifts just by lifting of the throttle at certain speeds. Another benefit is with the increased engine braking there is much lesser braking effort.
TATA should have given sport mode as the default mode and the normal mode as the ECO mode like in TIAGO.

Last edited by damodar : 16th May 2016 at 14:11.
Old 16th May 2016, 20:48   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
You pay just 5k for booking. Rest of the payment amount will be decided after negotiations and discounts. All discounts you will get based on eligibility and their T&C
Thanks for the info. So, does the 5k amount just get you in line for the delivery ? Once you pay the 5k - will you automatically be in line or do you have to confirm again with the dealer.

Also I don't think there is a huge discount on the nano amt version. I may be wrong - but that seems to be the way especially on our forum. The non amt versions appear to be having discouts.

Also- if you specify a specific version & color for the amt - would the dealer have to get you that or would they try to sell you whatever they have ? And which hyderabad dealer did you do the online booking with - Malik / Concord / Tejaswi ? Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 21:01   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post
Thanks for the info. So, does the 5k amount just get you in line for the delivery ? Once you pay the 5k - will you automatically be in line or do you have to confirm again with the dealer.
Sorry if you misunderstood wrong. I booked for Bangalore Concorde from Hyderabad. I was transferred from Hyderabad to Bangalore. I initially booked XTA Red and changed to XT Blue because of the waiting period for the XTA. If you place an online booking it means you have expressed interest and if you confirm with the dealer, then there will be a priority for your booking. Unless and until the full payment is made via loan or any other modes, your booking is not confirmed.

Hope this clears your doubts.
Old 17th May 2016, 01:53   #966
BHPian

Hey guys, just read about a bunch of kids planning to do the Mogul Rally from UK to China (~17,000km) in a Nano.

IIRC the cars need to be less than 1000cc as per some rule of the rally. So, great choice I thought! At first.

Of course the first reaction would be of wonder, but, the secondary reactions would be of redicule & doubt, yet let's understand that Nano is a RWD hatch having 180mm GC with brilliant approach(front) & departure(rear) angles & an independent suspension.

On the downside, it's very much susceptible to instability in even mildly strong crosswinds that we come across in the highway (even with 3 people & heavy luggage).

Would consider that the all round drum brakes could pose a challenge (especially in rains). Hope they consider adding an additional vacuum servo to largely negate any brake fade.

We do know that this is a car that didn't fare well in the crash test even at 64kmph, so I hope precautions have been taken. Not taunting at the Nano fire incidents, but hope they've kept a fire extinguisher.

I don't know them, how much driving endurance they've been through, but 3 people driving through 17,000km in a not so powerful car for more than a month, does seem a stretch by ANY standards.

I want to be encouraging, but Yes, I must admit that a voice in me says that this isn't the best idea. Although this is a very capable car.

Link

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th May 2016 at 16:56. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 17th May 2016, 06:15   #967
Senior - BHPian

If the rules say below 1000 cc, I think it is an excellent car for this purpose, there are no speed records to be set, completing the drive is the objective.

The light weight + high GC will allow it to conquer poor roads easily. If it gets bogged down, muscle power will work a lot better too. And it has probably more interior space than any other car that comes to mind.

Quite a few people, including foreigners, have done long drives in India in the car, so I see this to be a good call.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 15:56   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
She is well in her 70s and loved the car. They have decided on the Persian Rose colour.
What are the average discounts available? What's the cost of the AMC for 3 or 4 years ?
Congrats to your friend Dr.Suraj on her decision. I too have a Persian Rose XTA for the last five months (1800KMs up) and it has been a gem of a vehicle. The light steering / tight turning radius, good ground clearance and AMT is a perfect recipe for City use.

The Bangalore dealers are giving insurance free and perhaps if one pushes further a few accessories (other than mudflaps & Mats) would get thrown in as freebies. Please note that though Persian Rose is a made to order colour, the waiting period doesnt extend because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If the rules say below 1000 cc, I think it is an excellent car for this purpose, there are no speed records to be set, completing the drive is the objective.

The light weight + high GC will allow it to conquer poor roads easily. If it gets bogged down, muscle power will work a lot better too. And it has probably more interior space than any other car that comes to mind.

Quite a few people, including foreigners, have done long drives in India in the car, so I see this to be a good call.
Rightly said Sawyer, no better vehicle than the Nano for such a trip.
X_T_A Rose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 19:10   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if you misunderstood wrong. I booked for Bangalore Concorde from Hyderabad. I was transferred from Hyderabad to Bangalore. I initially booked XTA Red and changed to XT Blue because of the waiting period for the XTA. .
Sorry- my bad. Thanks for clearing it up. You said there was a waiting period for the xta - what was the time frame for xta delivery ? How was your experience with concord bangalore - I believe concorde dealershiips are actually tata affiliates. And by any chance do you have any experience or info regarding tata dealers in hyderabad ?
deltheking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 19:13   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post
Sorry- my bad. Thanks for clearing it up. You said there was a waiting period for the xta - what was the time frame for xta delivery ? How was your experience with concord bangalore - I believe concorde dealershiips are actually tata affiliates. And by any chance do you have any experience or info regarding tata dealers in hyderabad ?
Concorde is really good! I bought my car in October last year and at that point XTA was having a 3 months waiting period. I believe its improved now. I didnt have much chance to interact with Concorde Hyderabad but they arranged a test drive for me in Hyderabad for my Bangalore purchase Concorde should be fine.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 20:12   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Concorde is really good! XTA was having a 3 months waiting period. I believe its improved now. I didnt have much chance to interact with Concorde Hyderabad but they arranged a test drive for me in Hyderabad for my Bangalore purchase Concorde should be fine.
Yeah - I think the waiting period for xta is because of the amt units. Probably it should be much better now compared to October last year - as amt hype was at it's highest back then. And also the Renault Kwid came later on - which will surely dent the Nano sales & demand.

It was a pretty good gesture by concorde hyderabad to arrange for the test drive. Will give them a call & see what they say. My issue is I am not in India now and when I visit for the holidays - I want the car to be delivered around that time when I arrive. That's why I wanted to do the online booking and get in line and get the process started. Don't want to get the car at the end of my visit period !!
deltheking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 09:26   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
... just read about a bunch of kids planning to do the Mogul Rally from UK to China (~17,000km) in a Nano....
^Mongol Rally :

Yes there's risk, the calculations don't add up & it's a brave & adventurous decision, but IMO the Nano can do it & so can the participants, without much worry even with the older version that they had before.

I'm NOT blindly boasting, one of the participants is a childhood friend of mine & when I he announced this plan, I went through a the Tata Nano threads that I'd bookmarked over the years for possible issues.

Eventually, seeing how Tata Motors has massively improved the car since my 2010 Nano iteration, I concluded that this is quite safe.

I knew about the vacuum servo modification, but then it'd not be a stock car, so didn't bother suggesting any such thing. Also I didn't want to simply cast unnecessary doubts.

Infact, earlier Tata Motors had refused to sponsor a car. Yet, I did put in a word & got them to reconsider. After which they got the sponsored car (the latest non-AMT version).

(Btw, they got a sun roof added, but since that was a regular feature provided by company & the car was designed to include the same.)

The Nano has an upright driver seating position, which I think is apt for long drives!

Anyway critical examination aside, travelling 17,000km over ~35-45days is quite an adventure. I really hope they have a great drive & look forward to them opening a thread here soon!

Rgds,
Bhavin

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th May 2016 at 09:35. Reason: Removed "They aren't exactly a 'bunch of kids' per sé..."
Old 18th May 2016, 09:58   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
^Mongol Rally :

Yes there's risk, the calculations don't add up & it's a brave & adventurous decision, but IMO the Nano can do it & so can the participants,.....

The Nano has an upright driver seating position, which I think is apt for long drives!

Anyway critical examination aside, travelling 17,000km over ~35-45days is quite an adventure. I really hope they have a great drive & look forward to them opening a thread here soon!

Rgds,
Bhavin
My best wishes to the team and hope they have a grand time.

You mention the upright seating position which is a boon in urban conditions but can be a deal breaker in extremely bad terrain. I found the Nano to be quite bouncy and not that great in absorbing the bumps on the road. Considering the fact that the roads for the Mongol rally will be in near non existent terrain in large parts of Asia, are you sure that it will be capable of handling the terrain? Especially with the small size wheels?

Another thing which worries me is on the other side, in Europe. The speeds on these road are quite fast. Will the Nano be able to cope up with regular traffic? A slow vehicle on the fast lane is in as much risk as a fast vehicle in a slow lane.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not trying to discourage the trip. I am just trying to understand the thought process. I sincerely hope that the car and team are able to finish this tremendous journey.
Old 18th May 2016, 22:16   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
...You mention the upright seating position which is a boon in urban conditions but can be a deal breaker in extremely bad terrain.
Nano has an independent suspension and the wheels are located at the extreme corners, although this doesn't completely isolate the pitch to that corner of the car, it does greatly helps in reducing the shock to the other passengers.

Quote:
...are you sure that it will be capable of handling the terrain? Especially with the small size wheels?
The small size would infact reduce the harshness of the ride quality. If the wheels were wider, the suspension would have to deal with more tarmac / inexistent roads.

Narrow wheels could mainly be an issue when it comes to traction over slippery roads.

Rest said, is a RWD, so the ascents too wouldn't be very much of an issue (as long as they can manage the gearing & momentum).

Nobody can be sure. That's the fun part!

Quote:
Another thing which worries me is on the other side, in Europe. The speeds on these road are quite fast. Will the Nano be able to cope up with regular traffic?
Ofcourse the Nano would be among the slower vehicles. But it's not like all European cars are quick. They'll have their fair share of slow cars for company.

Quote:
A slow vehicle on the fast lane is in as much risk as a fast vehicle in a slow lane.
No such thumb rule. And it's not like the Nano crawls at 60kmph. Given the tarmac & driving conditions, it can quite easily manage to hold speeds 80-90kmph all day.

Anyway, rest said I hope they're strategising their route & driving responsibilities based on time, tarmac & driver endurance.

Let's see.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th May 2016 at 22:19.
Old 19th May 2016, 06:21   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
(Btw, they got a sun roof added, but since that was a regular feature provided by company & the car was designed to include the same.)
News to me, what do I have to do to get one??!
PS: never mind, I found the information on it earlier in this thread. Looks good, but I am not sure I want to do after market surgery that could encourage rain water entry if not done perfectly.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th May 2016 at 06:48. Reason: PS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks