Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:03   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
I
So here I am back in a kind of connundrum. I cant show them the issue at the service centre because after an overnight rest the AC is again as good as new and they cannot drive a 100kms to recreate the issue. Also within city drives there is no problem whatsoever. Ideas ?
Change the compressor relay and check. I had exactly same problem in a different car and it was the relay which was acting up.
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 19:29   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
It's the thermostat. Ask them to change it. I had this same issue when my nano (now sold) was just 4 months old. Please ask them to test it by taking a 100kms long trip.
As I mentioned in my message they changed the thermostat under warranty. But it was of no use.
mail2sekh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 10:09   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned in my message they changed the thermostat under warranty. But it was of no use.
Escalate it to the service center or any higher ups. The same issue happened to my previously owned genx nano. Thermostat was changed twice and didnt fix. Later they replaced the thermostat again and it was fixed. The senior Service Manager told me there was a new thermostat designed for Genx nano and the technicians were not aware of it. Please escalate it and sit on their top of heads literally to get this fixed.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 08:45   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
I guess I spoke a bit too soon ! Last week I did a Bangalore-Kerala-Bangalore - about 1000kms. Strangely about 100 kms after starting from BLR, the air conditioning stopped cooling I could hear the whir of the fan inside and if I touch the vents it is cold - but no air. Increased the speed to 2 and 3 and I can hear the fan speed up but again no output in any of the vents. If I turn the knob over to hot mode I can feel the vents heat up, but then again no air. Tried switching the direction knob to windshield, leg-only etc to no avail. Had to travel the rest of the way with windows down.
The morning after I reached, I wanted to show it to the service centre. Interestingly it's all fine then, the chiller AC, the fan - all perfect. I had to go for a 40 - 50 km drive.Still no issues. I went to the tata service centre anyway and explained the problem. They kept the car there that day and said normally the thermostat is the problem and changed it under warranty. They could not identify any other issue.
I had a sense of foreboding while starting back and sure enough at about 94 kms it started and before I hit the 100km mark it is just the whirring and no cool air. Again back all the way to BLR with windows down. :-(
So here I am back in a kind of connundrum. I cant show them the issue at the service centre because after an overnight rest the AC is again as good as new and they cannot drive a 100kms to recreate the issue. Also within city drives there is no problem whatsoever. Ideas ?
I had a similar issue in my Indigo. Ask them to check if the vent hose for draining water from the cooling coil is blocked in some way. This can cause icing in the coil which will build up over time and block airflow.

When this issue occurs, turn off the AC switch and turn on the blower to full. If normal airflow resumes after a short while, and the air coming out is still cool, it's probably ice building on the coil. If unchecked this can lead to coil warping or breaking. Happened to me. Costly affair.

Last edited by vivekgk : 12th September 2017 at 08:46.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 16:24   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
... about 100 kms after starting from BLR, the air conditioning stopped cooling I could hear the whir of the fan inside and if I touch the vents it is cold - but no air. Increased the speed to 2 and 3 and I can hear the fan speed up but again no output in any of the vents. If I turn the knob over to hot mode I can feel the vents heat up, but then again no air. Tried switching the direction knob to windshield, leg-only etc to no avail. ..
This surely seems to be ICE formation, which blocks the blower air flow.
While driving for 100kms when you see this less air flow, just switch off the AC button and keep the blower on. If you see air flow increasing after 20mins, then its surely ice formation. Had the same issue in my old Palio and recently sold Figo. Both resulted in coil change :-(
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 18:23   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I had a similar issue in my Indigo. Ask them to check if the vent hose for draining water from the cooling coil is blocked in some way. This can cause icing in the coil which will build up over time and block airflow.

When this issue occurs, turn off the AC switch and turn on the blower to full. If normal airflow resumes after a short while, and the air coming out is still cool, it's probably ice building on the coil. If unchecked this can lead to coil warping or breaking. Happened to me. Costly affair.
This looks highly probable. I will get the coils checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
This surely seems to be ICE formation, which blocks the blower air flow.
While driving for 100kms when you see this less air flow, just switch off the AC button and keep the blower on. If you see air flow increasing after 20mins, then its surely ice formation. Had the same issue in my old Palio and recently sold Figo. Both resulted in coil change :-(
Thanks again. So it is not a Nano specific issue then ! I will surely check this in the next 100+ drive.
Old 13th September 2017, 18:28   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again. So it is not a Nano specific issue then ! I will surely check this in the next 100+ drive.
No its not a nano specific issue. Also its not a 100+kms drive. If you have a chance to run car for more than an hour or say 2hrs. Run with full AC and see. Usually this happens when you drive with AC moren than 1 or 2hrs.

When I had this issue, during my long drive, every 1.5hrs I'll switch off the AC for 10mins with blower on. Then again when air flow is normal, switch on AC for next couple of hrs till issue occurs again. :-)

Last edited by swami.n : 13th September 2017 at 18:29.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 15:14   #1313
BANNED

Tata Motors stated that it will continue the production of its Tata Nano for some more time. A Tata Motors spokesperson said that the Tata Nano has an emotional connection with the Tata Group.
https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/ta...044730726.html
Old 27th September 2017, 16:15   #1314
Senior - BHPian

The Aria platform has had a spectacular turnaround with the Hexa. Tata must do the same with the Nano platform. Retain the 3.1 metre length, but upgrade the other features, even the body design, and relaunch with a new trendy name. The size is a boon for driving and parking in chaotic Bangalore traffic, as I have experienced in my friends Nano !
mooza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 20:03   #1315
BHPian

I think that is scheduled to happen. For sure. The last we saw, they have ported the Tiago dashboard into the Nano. With the right placement of the CO sole too! Additionally, I think that was also done to be able to introduce Airbags in the Nano (Government mandated guidelines are set to make airbags compulsory). That new avatar might be christened Pixel. Akin to Hexa/Aria a major refresh in the design can be expected too. If I am judging correctly, the new Nano would be electric. Which makes a LOT of sense. 1. The Nano is primarily a city car and electric vehicles make sense as city cars. 2. The biggest irritant of the Nano was the engine noise. That itself gets sorted with the electric motor.
It's a fabulous piece of engineering which definitely deserves another chance. If TML manage to turn around their image (which they are trying very hard, with Tiago, Tigor, Hexa and Nexon) then maybe late 2019 Pixel shall come in and, for a change might do well.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:04   #1316
BHPian

I have been using my XTA for 5000 kms now, and I like the car except for the brakes. What irks me is not the braking action, but the odd behavior at times. When it rains, the brakes for the first few kilometers or so have this tendency of locking the wheels suddenly. It just stops abruptly when I want to stop gradually. I have missed being rear ended at times because of this sudden stopping. Moreover, the front brakes have started to make this squeaking noise for the first few times when the brakes are applied. Has anyone else faced these issues?

Then, the other issue is in Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic, the brakes become ineffective or the brake pedal feels stuck, which is very scary.

Such a good value for money and practical car to drive in cities, but I am finding it hard to use with this type of braking. I am even starting to think if I should sell it off in another year or so.
Old 6th November 2017, 17:00   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
This looks highly probable. I will get the coils checked.

Hi, another solution albeit stop gap would be to adjust the dial and introduce warmer air. That will prevent the coil icing up. You may as well put the blower in second position. The higher volume of air will prevent coil icing up.

For a permanent solution you will have to get the thermostat checked. The flow control pin regulating the flow of refrigerant may be getting stuck.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 19:49   #1318
BHPian

Picked up a April 2016 model Nano XTA. A well maintained car for 60% of its current OTR price and with 30 more months of Warranty. For in-city use only - our current diesel sedan serves all other purposes. Breeze to drive once you get used to the brakes.

Have two question for owners / experts:
1. Is there any reason not to use the Sport mode as the primary mode other than the fuel efficiency? Is it in any way detrimental to engine or gearbox?
2. Does a tyre upgrade improve the braking. If yes, which tyres?

Thanks and cheers!
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 20:48   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Picked up a April 2016 model Nano XTA. A well maintained car for 60% of its current OTR price and with 30 more months of Warranty. For in-city use only - our current diesel sedan serves all other purposes. Breeze to drive once you get used to the brakes.

1. Is there any reason not to use the Sport mode as the primary mode other than the fuel efficiency? Is it in any way detrimental to engine or gearbox?

Thanks and cheers!
Answers to your questions below.

1. IMO there is absolutely no issue with using "S" mode always while driving except that the fuel efficiency goes down a bit. I have been using the "S" mode while driving for almost 80% time without any issues in last 1 year of my ownership. Although I do drive without "S" mode in bumper to bumper traffic and very slow traffic situations as it does not demand one.

2. Upgrading to Bridgestone tyres (Bridgestone B290) would improve the overall handling and ride quality of the car but as far as braking is considered, I do not think that it makes a significant difference. Nano's braking is something which one has to get used to IMO.

Cheers!
iabhishekkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 22:38   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post

Thanks and cheers!
Congratulations on your new purchase!
Absolutely no need to worry on sport mode use. If you use manual mode, you can hold much higher rpms in each gear than the rpms at which sport mode shifts, so its all under designed load and no need to worry.
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks