Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th October 2019, 09:24   #1396
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

As much as I love the nano and having owned the original and currently owning the damson purple xta ( 38k done),I would suggest you up your budget and go for espresso ( same tall seating position).

In this age 2019 that is, Nano has its limitations. Underpowered, weak& squeaky brakes, rickety ride, no abs or airbags, the list goes on. Don't get me wrong the steering,A/C is brilliant as is the high seating position, but I would advice nano ONLY as a used car.

In fact my Nano is currently only used for my Dad's morning walk and rides within < 3kms in the city ( I live in the dead center of Trivandrum). Buying brand new please invest your hard earned money in something modern with proper back up.

Whenever I drive the nano in fast moving traffic, I am constantly aware of its limitations with weak brakes and power and have to drive with this in my head always. Especially after a drive in my solid tiago automatic or tigor.

Buying a brand new one for close to 3 lakhs OTR is poor sense mate, in my opinion. Up a lakh and maybe go for tiago auto or if you want high seating - espresso or something from the Maruti stable. I am only advising from a pragmatic stand point.
Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 10:59   #1397
BHPian

I too echo the above. My wife drives a Nano AMT and I drive an Elite i20 crdi.. Somehow I feel I can't adjust and feel uncomfortable using Nano in full traffic. My wife has got used to it and her boundary is max 5 kms. In 3.5 Yrs the ODO stands at 5.5k kms on the Nano.
Rajesh K R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 11:33   #1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
As per media reports, Nano will be on sale for few more months and then will be sadly discontinued.
====
So this will be the cheapest automatic ever. Kindly suggest.
How much are you getting the xta for? I will suggest to buy a nano only if its a second car in your house.
I have Jan 2018 , which has done 11K so far. I dont own a two wheeler and use the nano daily for everything in the city. Am I happy with it? - Yes, but I make sure I use it with its known limitations .
abhijeetp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 12:28   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Buying a brand new one for close to 3 lakhs OTR is poor sense mate, in my opinion. Up a lakh and maybe go for tiago auto or if you want high seating - espresso or something from the Maruti stable. I am only advising from a pragmatic stand point.

Agree with your point. Nano does not make sense because of its safety quotient. Even with all the talk about it having a great build quality, airbags and abs are a serious miss.

But think about it, You get a new automatic car for 3 lakhs OTR with 4 years warranty. Going higher by 1 lakh will not give him that. A Tiago automatic will cost 7 lakhs. In fact, even if he doubles the budget, there is no other new automatic in the vicinity. So the only option is to go used. A grand i10 auto with TC may be available for 4 lakhs. That is the cheapest automatic car which I will trust enough to buy as used. All others are plagued by AMT or DSG issues.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:49   #1400
BHPian

A quick wrap up of expenses and weakness of Nano in the 4 years till now

- first 2 years under AMC plan ( 3600 Rs)
- 3rd year 30k service - 4000 Rs
- 4th year 38 K service - 4500 Rs
- Some additional in between services ( a/c , others) - 4000 Rs

So in total service center costs - 18,000 Rs

Over and above this , preventive / regular maintanence

- Battery - 4000 Rs
- All 4 tyres - 9000 Rs
- Paint & Polishing over 4 years ( inc alloys) - 28,000 ( i have an OCD for keeping car in showroom condition)

Total preventive / regular maintanence costs - 40,000 Rs

So overall total cost is approx 60,000 Rs in 4 years.

Nano Achilles heels ( from Gen 1 itself)
- Front tyres wear out in < 20k - more so with the power steering one
- AC gives up around 30 k ( culprit - the flexible aluminium pipe that runs under the body connecting the compressor and condensor) . This has been replaced under warranty.
- Brake squeal due to drum brakes ( my brake shoes need to be replaced in next service as per advisor - fair enough given the 40K running)

Point to note

- Beware of the damson purple specia paint. It looks great and women love it, BUT it costs a fortune as it is a special colour.
Nanolover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 08:50   #1401
Senior - BHPian

I had always wanted to know the rpm readings on my Nano AMT, finally setup an OBDII scanner yesterday. I am using this app.

This is what I observed:
  • At 80 kph, in 5th gear, rpm is around 2750.
  • At 90 kph, in 5th gear, rpm is around 3150.
  • During moderate driving, the AMT changes gears between 2600-2800 rpm.
  • Although, I didn't try to test the maximum rpm, during normal course of driving, it went as high as 3700 rpm.

I got the paid version of the app, it has a recording feature, so will record more data and try share my findings here again.
ashutoshb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:54   #1402
BHPian

Persian rose nano xta at 5years and 40,000 Kms. On the original clutch and company regular service.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-screenshot_20200607115212247_com.miui.gallery.jpg  

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-screenshot_20200607115218524_com.miui.gallery.jpg  

Nanolover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 10:58   #1403
BHPian

So i now plan to give my Nano XTA away. 2015 Nov run 14179kms till date and based in Bangalore. Like most, this has its bit of dents and thanks to the Bangalore traffic. What would be the realistic value i must quote for this ?
Old 9th June 2020, 11:33   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshays View Post
So i now plan to give my Nano XTA away. 2015 Nov run 14179kms till date and based in Bangalore.
Haha, for a second I thought you are planning to donate the car to someone who will take good care of it

You have not used it a lot it seems. 14K Kms in 4.5 years is not a lot.

Quote:
Like most, this has its bit of dents and thanks to the Bangalore traffic. What would be the realistic value i must quote for this ?
Nanos are not in great demand I believe and hence resale value might no be great. If you are planning to replace it with another car, exchange option will be the best I suppose. Tata to Tata exchange will give you a good value for the Nano.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 12:03   #1405
BHPian

Hi Sunil, nope no more cars for now so the question of exchange doesn’t arise. And no, there is no way of giving away the car as charity, that would mean the car has no value when in reality the car is worth way more than my City. That aside, what is the fair value
Old 11th June 2020, 18:15   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sunil, nope no more cars for now so the question of exchange doesn’t arise. And no, there is no way of giving away the car as charity, that would mean the car has no value when in reality the car is worth way more than my City. That aside, what is the fair value
Hard to say about Bangalore but given that it is going to be 5 years old, I guess if you get anything close to 40% of the on-road price of the new one - it will be a good value.

So in a realistic situation (current market) you can expect between 30-40% of the on-road price that you had paid. That will depend upon your urgency to sell and the seriousness of the buyer.
Old 12th June 2020, 13:28   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
I have a City and a Nano AMT for wife. The Nano is nearing 40k kms and completed 4yrs since purchase. I bought it from a friend in Nov 2016 with ODO at just 2700kms. The Nano is the car that we use primarily inside the city due to its compact size and ease of parking, added advantage is AT and wife being able to share the driving duties. I can't think of selling the Nano and using the City inside city

Probably in couple few years, selling the City and getting an MPV for the family trips is what I am thinking of. So I would suggest you to consider if you really do not need the Nano anymore. As it isn't going to fetch you much in the market considering its poor image and being an obsolete model. As mentioned by Sunilch above, it could fetch somewhere close to 30% of its original price. Roughly around a lac or even less. It actually gives more value with its use than what it might fetch when sold.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by swami.n : 12th June 2020 at 13:29.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:42   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
So i now plan to give my Nano XTA away. 2015 Nov run 14179kms till date and based in Bangalore. Like most, this has its bit of dents and thanks to the Bangalore traffic. What would be the realistic value i must quote for this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Nanos are not in great demand I believe and hence resale value might no be great. If you are planning to replace it with another car, exchange option will be the best I suppose. Tata to Tata exchange will give you a good value for the Nano.
Nanos aren't of any demands. But the Automatic versions of them are quite in. Actually, we were looking for a used nano AMT a while back for my dad. He used to take his motorcycle for his office commute which is 18km bothway. Due to ageing, safety and left knee issues we were very keen on an AMT. We never bothered about the exteriors and stuff. The only thing we wanted is a working AC and it should move! Unfortunately, we couldn't find one in Chennai when we were in the process. So, it may get you some good money, being an automatic. There are really some potential customers!

While I may not have a clear picture of the price, you might fetch some 40% or something close to 70K! Not sure! While searching, we were able to find manual ones for 50-80K.
Old 13th June 2020, 19:51   #1409
BHPian

Try contacting the local used car dealers. An acquaintance sold a 2012 LX for 65k last October (2012 model). You should easily get 1.5 to 2 lakhs if the car is maintained well.

Regarding the people who say that the Nano is not in demand- you are right for the first gen models. The ones with power steering sell out quite often. Automatics go out faster.

There's no automatic/AMT car in India below 2 lakhs that offers a manufacturer support (Zen/Esteem AX models are too old) and provides the fuel efficiency of the Nano. If you find a buyer, it is likely that the person will know about this and not low-ball you.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 13th June 2020 at 19:54.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:15   #1410
BHPian

Battery Query
My XTA battery has gone kaput after 5 years. Its stock has an Exide Conservo 35aH.
On searching the usual sites, most of them list only 25aH batteries for Nano and 35aH.
1) I shouldnt be sticking to 35aH - is that a fair statement.
2) Tata Green is available in 35aH - how is the life of this brand.

Most Viewed