Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 13:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well put in a turbo charger, bump up the power to max it can get out of 800cc(I figure around 100bhp should be doable with modern tech), give discs and slightly bigger tires.

It can cost 1.5L more. But its going to be the fastest thing on roads, embarrassing even 20L+ sedans.
I doubt that the current dimensions of the car can sustain a power of a 100 bhp engine (Hieght 1652, shorter wheelbase of 2230 & a GC of 180/194).
It will keep tumbling at turns even on a slightest mistake from the driver on acceleration.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:48   #17
BHPian

The pricing and brochures are now available on the tatanano.com
LonelyPlanet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Tata Nano GenX has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 1.99 - 2.89 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).
Appreciate the review. You have narrated everything in a good flow. The way the driving experience is described, I feel as if I have done the TD already.

The car looks to be of tremendous value for my wife's use in city. In the water logged areas, do you think that the water will enter the car, either from the bottom or from the sides?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 13:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review I say.The nano is a perfect car as a second car. Was planning to buy a car for wifey and the nano amt ticks all boxes.Plus its quite a good car to potter around in congested cities.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

It has been said that it is finally a smart city car, I am still not convinced with drum brakes.

With limited shell / body strength and sudden braking requirements, a disk brake is a must (Tata's should have given it as an option, when they can provide made to order body color, why not made to order brake system); I remember having waited for 30 days to get my ABS Verna with all 4 disk brakes even when the dealer was forcing / convincing me to buy without ABS.

I am not sure when changes / improvements have been made at almost all fronts to make it a more acceptable car, why this important safety feature has been neglected. The NCAP results should have been considered / kept in mind. Should we expect a new version with disk brakes anytime soon?

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 19th May 2015 at 14:11.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Amazing value for the price conscious buyer. Great boon for housewives.

Why is the engine bay so dusty for a car you know is going to be photographed? Tata should pay attention to small details.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:22   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Just a few quick questions:
  1. Price difference between AMT & Manual
  2. 2-3 negatives are related to AMT gearbox. Does that make Manual a better option
  3. Purely in terms of AMT - how does the drive stand up v/s the Alto K10
  4. Head-to-head price difference beween Nano & Alto K10 - version to version
  5. Difference between XMA & XTA Nano?
Thanks for the kind words.

Here's the full GenX Nano price list (ex-showroom, Delhi):
Manual
XE - Rs. 1,99,000
XM - Rs. 2,29,000
XT - Rs. 2,49,000
AMT
XMA - Rs. 2,69,000
XTA - Rs. 2,89,000

The manual is a lot of fun, but the AMT will be a better option in bumper to bumper traffic. That is the whole point of the AMT anyway.

The prices of the Alto are available here:
http://www.marutisuzuki.com/altok10.aspx#price
I haven't driven the Alto AMT, so I can't say much about it.

As soon as we have the necessary information, we will put up a new sheet that will tell us the difference between the variants.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Tata Nano GenX has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 1.99 - 2.89 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:

• AMT, light power steering & small footprint make it effortless to drive in the city

What you won't:

• Nano AMT has sluggish performance. Struggles on inclines too. Unsuitable for highway runs
• AMT lacks the refinement & shift-speed of conventional ATs
• Puny drum brakes feel too weak in the Automatic variant
Aditya. Please explain. I am looking at this as a office car so i am serious

1. From your points i infer, the brakes in the AMT are the same as the manual. You also say that the AMT is more sluggish than the manual. Yet - your saying Puny drum brakes feel too weak in the Automatic variant ??
2. The AMT Is referred as a positive, yet it referred as a negative. The company is declaring that it is a AMT, so why compare it with a DSG or a conventional automatic. Is there anything specifically wrong with this AMT as a standalone product?

Last edited by acidkill : 19th May 2015 at 14:36.
Old 19th May 2015, 14:33   #24
BHPian

Economic Times mentions that the GenX Nano is available in 21 different options Can anyone comment on the 21 options?

Link: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47340766.cms
Old 19th May 2015, 14:38   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
From your points i infer, the brakes in the AMT are the same as the manual. You also say that the AMT is more sluggish than the manual. Yet - your saying Puny drum brakes feel too weak in the Automatic variant?
The Nano AMT might be sluggish, but it can still touch 80 kph (and over). When stopping from those speeds, without the engine braking of a manual, these brakes are simply not up to the task. Tata should've upgraded the brakes for the Automatic.

Quote:
The company is declaring that it is a AMT, so compare this AMT with the AMT of a competitor.
I think most people get the point of what we're trying to say. That is, the AMT is NOT as smooth as conventional automatics.

And yes, with AMTs, I've seen that the bigger / more powerful the engine is, the better it behaves. From Aditya's review, it's clear that the Zest AMT feels a lot better than the Nano AMT, due to its larger engine.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:39   #26
BHPian

The differences between mid (XMA) and top-end (XTA) Automatic variant are:

1) Music system
2) Power windows
3) Remote/central locking
4) Front fog lamps
5) Heater (A/C - cooling is there)
6) Black door handles vs body coloured
7) Colour co-ordinated ORVMs versus body-coloured on top-variant
8) Full versus half wheel cover
9) Roof beading
10) Roof mounted antenna
11) 12v charger
12) Cup holders in front console
13) Magazine holder in all doors

That is quite a lot of kit for just Rs 20k!
jessie007 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:44   #27
BANNED

Thanks for the wonderful and much awaited review Aditya.

Was there any mileage information in the review or in the presentation of Tata motors for the AMT variant. if I had missed out in the review. I seriously regret that I spent money in buying Wego just a week back as work horse for the domestic chores for the family. I could've waited for the Nano AMT.
Amarkarthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 14:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Nano AMT might be sluggish, but it can still touch 80 kph (and over). When stopping from those speeds, without the engine braking of a manual, these brakes are simply not up to the task. Tata should've upgraded the brakes for the Automatic.

And yes, with AMTs, I've seen that the bigger / more powerful the engine is, the better it behaves. From Aditya's review, it's clear that the Zest AMT feels a lot better than the Nano AMT, due to its larger engine.
GTO- Thanks.

There is no engine braking in an AMT? I didn't know this!
But your second point is equally interesting. Ive previously heard that AMTs don't suit large engines cause they are perceived as jerky. (because of the fact that unlike in the manual where driver invokes a gear change, in AMT drivers don't predict the shift movement so the jerk of a gear change is more pronounced)
Old 19th May 2015, 15:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Real wheel drive means it can drift too. Tata could also create a Tata nano cup with points for drifting!

Drift with that short wheel base and tall height ? I think instead it's better to put in a safety cage and hold a competition to see who can roll it over most number of times while taking sharp turns ?
Old 19th May 2015, 15:20   #30
BHPian

Thank you Aditya for a very comprehensive review of the Nano AMT. The nano was already a very pracitcal car and with the addition of AMT, even more so.

This is the best and economical option for ladies who want to use a car in Indian cities but do not because of the lack of confidence in their driving skills. I hope more and more women will start opting for this car which inturn will enable them to be independent and safer on the notorious Indian roads.

Thanks
Anand

Last edited by Anand3553 : 19th May 2015 at 15:22.
Anand3553 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks