6) Black door handles vs body coloured
7) Colour co-ordinated ORVMs versus body-coloured on top-variant
8) Full versus half wheel cover
9) Roof beading
10) Roof mounted antenna
11) 12v charger
12) Cup holders in front console
13) Magazine holder in all doors

That is quite a lot of kit for just Rs 20k!
Some additions and corrections, as per Nano site:
1. Additional 2 colors (Damson Purple, Persian Rose) for XTA
2. 'slight difference' in seat fabric and door trims
3. Stereo has bluetooth for calls and streaming
4. Rear parcel shelf with speakers (thus 4 speakers in total)
5. Power windows are available in XTA, but only in front
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 17:45   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

As usual, I do not feel that I know something about a car until I have read its review on TBHP.
Though I do not get any video reviews like other websites and magazines, I'm more happy and satisfied after reading a TBHP review.
Its pretty much like my car, Even though it doesn't have many things that the competition provides, it gives me immense satisfaction.

Back to the New Nano, Looks so much more 'complete' as a car.
The cute looks retained, powersteering, openable hatch, AMT make it so much more desirable.
Fuel filler in the front, The engine note (Which I guess has not changed), inside adjustable ORVMs etc. etc. may still be the same, but then this latest attempt by Tata is definitely worth appreciating

Hopefully for Tata this will translate into numbers on the sales chart.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 17:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. Being a Nano owner, I have few questions :

1) Has the AC been updated or carried over from the older models?
2) Has there been an improvement in NVH levels compared to earlier models?
3) Seat comfort, has it improved at front? Are the front seats fully reclinable? (a big letdown in earlier Nano's)

Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 19th May 2015 at 18:02.
Old 19th May 2015, 18:00   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

OTR price in Bangalore will be 3.62L for the Top-end version.

Incidentally, Ex-showroom price of 2.99L is same as for Bombay.

EDIT: The AMC is 3.5k for 3 years / 30000 km.

Last edited by bblost : 19th May 2015 at 18:39.
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 18:14   #50
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OTR price in Bangalore will be 3.62L for the Top-end version.

Incidentally, Ex-showroom price of 2.99L is same as for Bombay.
Ex-showroom price is 2,99,900 rupees in Chennai for the XTA.

Tata have made sure the Nano's ex-showroom price doesn't touch the psychological 3 lac rupee mark anywhere in the country.

Last edited by RSR : 19th May 2015 at 18:15.
Old 19th May 2015, 18:48   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi OTR price 3.24L. Did not receive a breakup yet.

Was supposed to receive delivery of an XTA in Sangria Red (the only colour presently available with the dealer) this evening for my friend, but the storm and rain played spoilsport - they couldn't (didn't want to) move the car from their Narela stockyard.

Tomorrow afternoon, hopefully...
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 18:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However I see a missed opportunity here.
Tata should create a Xtreme variant of this vehicle.
How to do that?

Well put in a turbo charger, bump up the power to max it can get out of 800cc(I figure around 100bhp should be doable with modern tech), give discs and slightly bigger tires.

It can cost 1.5L more. But its going to be the fastest thing on roads, embarrassing even 20L+ sedans.

Real wheel drive means it can drift too. Tata could also create a Tata nano cup with points for drifting!
100% agree - I'd add some more features like ABS, Airbags, 14' rims and a 5th gear. I know this will bump the cost by almost 2.5L think about what this will do. The Nano may be perceived as a safer car. The key is 'Safe' and Nano has almost tons of sales due to that word missing from its perception armoury. From this point on Tata could re-start the journey and introduce the next gen Nano (not face lift). For all you know, it may actually give a boost to its sibling cars as well.
Old 19th May 2015, 19:05   #53
BANNED

Was casually browsing Tata Nano GenX website and came across these goodies for interested owners and Nano Fans!

Tata Nano @ EBay

Clothing and ACcessories:
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano-1.jpg

Scale Models:
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano-2.jpg

Mobile accessories:
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano-3.jpg

Inspired Living:
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano-4.jpg

PS: None of the items are currently available as Tata Motors has removed the listing.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 19:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Great review Aditya especially for me, since ive been wanting to buy a Nano for the longest time. Then heard it will come with a Power steering and when i was ready to get that i heard the auto box was coming. My car will be only a city-use car for short errands and to drive in otherwise non drivable places like say Crawford market on any busy day. Also finding a parking slot is much easier for a car this size and frankly i was blown over by the sheer space in the car, so maybe ill take a long test drive as suggested and decide in a few days!!. The review has had my attention drawn on checking it certain other things which i will.
V-16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 19:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, I'm happy they priced it decently! Speaks ALOT about how the company is keeping track of buyer sentiment

It's absolutely the most VFM auto-hatch there can be!

OK review. What to do, maybe I'm little biased for this little wonder!

Using it since almost 5 years, IMHO this is now the Ultimate car for Bangalore 'Traffic' City!

Over this ownership period, I'd say the independent suspension (a feature often overlooked by people) has really been a boon for our potholed city roads!

@Aditya, you really found the ride unpleasantly bouncy?

I haven't driven Alto, but my alternate ride is a Fiat Linea & I find my Nano rides decently fine for the segment it is in. Anyway.

With AMT I think people will really start giving Nano the chance it was always denied : a simple test drive, and they'll instantly see how massively better it is, compared to Alto!
Old 19th May 2015, 19:53   #56
BHPian

Thanks for a great review, as always. As echoed by most people here, A little more oomph and better brakes would have been highly appreciated. Having said that, at these prices Tata has done well. I would be interested in finding out the range of stopping distances of the nano and the AltoK10 from 80 kmph during multiple hard braking scenarios. Should be interesting to see how the brake fade affects them, not to mention if the self energizing drums have any advantage in the long run.

One thing to note on the features list is the fact that you only get a heater on the XT/XTA variants. Making the rest of the variants impractical for a lot of the year in places like J&K, HP, UT, SK, AR and Nepal. Not sure if this was available in lower variants of previous models. I feel this is a necessity equal to if not more important than an A/C. I have lived in both kinds of deserts and believe you me the cold is much worse than the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Personally, I still think the PR people at Tata need to improve their control on information. Today, while searching sites to find the pricing of the GenX, I came across a statement saying that "they are working on the 1 litre variant of the Nano, until then, they would like to blah blah" . So now I will be waiting for the 1 litre to come and not think about the just released GenX. This is exactly why I am not the owner of a Twist XT. When they released the Twist , the same year at the Auto Expo, they unveiled the GenX. So I convinced myself, that I'd wait for that to release. Now I'll be inclined to wait for the 1 litre.
My sentiments mirror yours. Alas necessity forced my hand to book a Sangria Red XTA today on the condition that the "chuutku" can make it up the hill to my house with 4 adults and simulated groceries. I am rooting for it, and i hope it makes it with aplomb. There is just something about this car i find charming. If it makes it to my garage i hope it will stay there for a long time for the Sunday Smiles.

There still isn't any test vehicle available in Srinagar not sure about Jammu (They usually get it earlier).

Cheers

B.B
Old 19th May 2015, 20:06   #57
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2015 at 08:17.
damodar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th May 2015, 20:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Where is the battery? In the old model, one I test drove in 2010, the battery was under the driver seat with exposed terminals. I hope it has been moved now, or atleast provided with a cover.
Old 19th May 2015, 20:44   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Where is the battery? In the old model, one I test drove in 2010, the battery was under the driver seat with exposed terminals. I hope it has been moved now, or atleast provided with a cover.
The battery is still under the driver's seat. Here's a picture for reference.

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-dsc01218.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
@Aditya, you really found the ride unpleasantly bouncy?
It's really quite acceptable at slower speeds. Just stay away from the highway. It's on expressway joints that the car bounces. It can get very tiring after a while. My brother had an old 800cc Alto LXi which we sold a year and three months ago. It was pretty bouncy too, but not as bad as the Nano. Stick to the city and you'll be quite happy.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 21:04   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Was casually browsing Tata Nano GenX website and came across these goodies for interested owners and Nano Fans!

Tata Nano @ EBay

PS: None of the items are currently available as Tata Motors has removed the listing.
I was just going to reply when I saw your 'P.S.'

If anyone finds them re-listed please give a shout.

I have already bought the BIG ones in White & Yellow. The details are REALLY superb. At par with most other brands. The bonnet opens and the spare wheel comes out too.
I bought it at 30%. Last they were giving upto 50% discount.

Some of the stuff is really nice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks