Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 18:09   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Hello, Slightly off-topic, but can anyone guide me to the in-gear acceleration times for the Nano 38ps? Also the Braking distance from 80kmph to 0. For the life of me, I cannot find it on the internet.
Old 21st May 2015, 20:11   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
AMC is 3.5k for 3 years / 30000 km
The Tata website says the AMC is for 2-4 years. 4 years of AMC would be a good choice for the buyers - gives them some piece of mind.

http://www.tatanano.com/faqs-nano-twist-sales-after%C2%ADsales.html
[3rd FAQ]
Old 21st May 2015, 20:21   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Shot with flash. Yep, that's the radiator at the front. What this means is, engine coolant flows between the front & rear of the car (where the engine is)!!

A correction:
The picture shows the AC condenser, installed up front, which is one of the secrets for the Nano's terrific AC performance (no interference of heat exchange due to condenser being overlapped with the radiator, as in front-engined cars). The condenser fan is a powerful one, but I thought the intense resonating hum one gets to hear from that fan in the cabin when the AC is on, is a little overbearing at times.

The radiator is in its usual place in the rear engine bay, and coolant is not flowing from the rear to the front of the car. The air intake openings behind the rear doors feed that radiator.
SS-Traveller is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 21:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The radiator is in its usual place in the rear engine bay, and coolant is not flowing from the rear to the front of the car. The air intake openings behind the rear doors feed that radiator.
Considering that the reviewers mentioned (and more than once) that the radiator has been moved to the front, was wondering whether there are two versions of vehicle. Otherwise an epic fail on somebodies part!

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 21st May 2015 at 21:14.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 21:41   #110
BHPian

Did anyone notice that the roof is not ribbed anymore... that has enabled them to fit the sunroof nicely. I think a lot of engineering effort has gone in to make the car safer.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 23:45   #111
BHPian

Quote:
A correction:
The picture shows the AC condenser, installed up front, which is one of the secrets for the Nano's terrific AC performance (no interference of heat exchange due to condenser being overlapped with the radiator, as in front-engined cars). The condenser fan is a powerful one, but I thought the intense resonating hum one gets to hear from that fan in the cabin when the AC is on, is a little overbearing at times.

Good find there SS-Traveller. Yes, that hum kicking in is quite noticeable and the subsequent down-shift-feel in acceleration is also evident. (Nano LX ) Infact I have used that as an added breaking mechanism in many of my long drives
Now with that moved to the front probably the noise should have reduced. And yes, the AC is so powerful that plastic flaps actually..well flap up and down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
@mail2sekh:
1) Same horn , will get no respect on the road.
2) Yes alloys are available in Black, I saw one on display in the showroom.
3) Not sure about the up-shifts, but the downshift happen without your intervention if you lift.
4) Tire sizes are still different, narrow ones in the front, wider one in the rear for safety reasons.

Pretty decent package altogether from Tata.
Just found out about the upshifts. Quote from http://www.tatanano.com/faqs-nano-genx.html

The gear shifts can happen automatically in Manual Mode under the following circumstances:
During braking, vehicle will automatically downshift the gear based on speed of vehicle
If not upshifted & driver keeps pressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle will upshift to next gear but at max threshold value

There's a lot of useful info in that link especially on the behavior of the amt during overtaking , sports mode , creep etc.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2015 at 00:05. Reason: back to back posts
mail2sekh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 01:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
That's a very good review Aditya . All features very nicely explained.

I have a Nano 2012 LX since 3 years which we purchased by reading Team-BHP review. However, this time I don't think I will go for Genx Nano. There are quite a few reasons for this:

- A bigger engine was expected. Nano really struggles to climb ghat sections. I drive the nano on highway most of the time and it feels very under powered. At least 800 cc engine was expected.
- Fuel filler is very inconvenient. 24 litre tank is also low capacity.
- Luggage space is poor for AMT. At least 150 ltr is required.
- Overall height could have been reduced. Lot of air drag and body roll. Nano literally shakes when a volvo bus passes by.
- Dealer & service. Balaji cars no longer selling Tata cars. I am quite concerned about support in future.
- Niggles. Driver door lock and backside left door lock already changed for present nano. Wiper doesn't stay away from front glass and even a small amount of wind puts it down. First version nano wiper was better.
- No under seat storage or 1 litre bottle holders in door pockets
There is a model with most of the mods you have suggested. It's called the Alto.
JayD is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 03:11   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
There is a model with most of the mods you have suggested. It's called the Alto.
But comparing it to the Alto , the Nano AMT has ::
1. More rear leg space
2. More ground clearance
3. Almost 1.5 lac cheaper
4. Damson Purple & Persian Rose pink colors !!

So, I think the choice between the Nano AMT and the Alto AMT is not as clear cut as it seems . Hope the Nano makes a dent in the Alto sales. I always like competition !
deltheking is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

It is interesting to see this debate, the wishlist and the general nitpicking going on this thread. This thread should be a market researcher's dream, to analyze the mind space and needs and wants of an Indian car buying consumer.
There are a group of members who see the Nano as a perfect city car, along with the AMT, it makes sense to use it to move around conjested city spaces, doing daily errands.
There are a set of people who would want to drive this on highways, and definitely the low power, acceleration and susceptibility to crosswinds make the Nano's lack of highway legs seem glaringly obvious. And there are a bunch of fence sitters or non consumers, who would nitpick on every defect or perceived defect, to compare against other brands/models to highlight how the Nano is not a good car at all.

The second car debate too is not as straightforward as it seems. The Nano can be the perfect second/third car for those people who would drive it to work or may be for small errands or into the inner city roads. For those people who have chauffeurs/drivers employed, it makes sense to have a bigger hatchback as a second car, to avail of better back seat comforts. Like wise different cities will treat the Nano differently. For cities with wide roads, better traffic management and more parking space (Hyderabad for example), the Nano doesn't make much sense when compared to the Alto or the I10/I20 etc. For cities which are teeming with millions of people encompassed in a small space (Mumbai), where parking is costlier than the car, it makes perfect sense to own a Nano, compared to sweating it out on a commuter bike.

IMO, will the Nano dent the Alto's sales? I think not. The Nano may become successful in creating or enhancing the segment who wants a second car, purely for domestic chores, and who have a bigger/better car for highway duties and for fun driving. It has the first mover advantage and with the next gen version, the sins of associating the brand with an upgrade from a scooter may wash away.
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:30   #115

Excellent review and fantastic pictures Aditya. Good to see efforts from Tata on nano especially with all the features for this competitive pricing. While the GenX is definitely a welcome move from Tata with AMT priced equal or less than Alto Vxi model, not sure how much this will change the old perception of nano. IMO, i strongly feel that Tata should come up with a complete new aesthetics(may be on same platform) to change the old nano perception and may be with a new brand name also may help (no offense Tata fans)
whitebeauty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:55   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The radiator is in its usual place in the rear engine bay
Yes but the location seems to have changed. I noticed this on comparing the engine bay area to the Twist. On the Twist, the radiator is visible. The coolant reservoir takes a different design too. While there is a exhaust sort of system (To take out heat) by means of a fan, I wonder if the radiator is also supplemented with one.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:07   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Yes but the location seems to have changed. I noticed this on comparing the engine bay area to the Twist.
Yes, the radiator has been shifted a little ahead within the rear engine bay itself, as compared to the older model, and not to the front of the car.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:46   #118
Senior - BHPian

Here's the quote we received today from Concorde Motors.

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano.jpg
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Here's the quote we received today from Concorde Motors.

Attachment 1373468
Have dealers in Pune started charging handling charges too now??? If you can negotiate to drop that and get insurance from outside, you might save another 3-5K.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:52   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Have dealers in Pune started charging handling charges too now???
I am on a fight with Maruti too as they are charging me 6000 as handling.

Any pointers?

Most Viewed