Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 15:23   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
118pramod : Request someone to please advise if I have to really check the alignment for the new vehicle.
Get it checked once. Out side if you have a regular place, else go to TASS. Nothing to lose by getting it checked.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:03   #317
BHPian

A few things that caught my attention during the past few days drive -

1) I had forgot this but luckily got it back in my mind now - during the drive from Trivandrum to Chennai, while we were almost close to Kattankulathur, the Air-con speed dropped completely. I clearly remembered what a blast the A/C was even on it's first speed as throughout the journey the A/C was put in speed 1. So I got really worried. To my surprise, after a few kilometers, the speed was back to normal!

2) Grinding noise - occurs in a particular rpm range (30kmph to 40kmph in 3rd gear and 40 - 50 kmph in 4th gear). I still doubt if it's the A/C compressor as it just happens once in a while and the grinding noise is a tad too loud to be a compressor noise.

3) Yesterday, in Kodambakkam signal, I had switched off the vehicle since I expected a long wait. But I didn't notice the signals coming on and all the cars behind me started honking. So I just turned on the ignition and tried starting even before the speedo did the complete sweep - at this moment the car did not start. It gave a "tick tick" sound like when the battery goes dead. I think I was too urgent to get the car started then. I switched it off, switched on the ignition, waited for the sweep and all the warning lights, started, and things were fine. But from then, I noticed that the auto-return feature of the EPS wasn't working. Drove the rest of the 2kms back home, parked the car and today morning, it was all back to normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old 16th June 2015, 16:50   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
A few things that caught my attention during the past few days drive -

1) I had forgot this but luckily got it back in my mind now - during the drive from Trivandrum to Chennai, while we were almost close to Kattankulathur, the Air-con speed dropped completely. I clearly remembered what a blast the A/C was even on it's first speed as throughout the journey the A/C was put in speed 1. So I got really worried. To my surprise, after a few kilometers, the speed was back to normal!

2) Grinding noise - occurs in a particular rpm range (30kmph to 40kmph in 3rd gear and 40 - 50 kmph in 4th gear). I still doubt if it's the A/C compressor as it just happens once in a while and the grinding noise is a tad too loud to be a compressor noise.

3) Yesterday, in Kodambakkam signal, I had switched off the vehicle since I expected a long wait. But I didn't notice the signals coming on and all the cars behind me started honking. So I just turned on the ignition and tried starting even before the speedo did the complete sweep - at this moment the car did not start. It gave a "tick tick" sound like when the battery goes dead. I think I was too urgent to get the car started then. I switched it off, switched on the ignition, waited for the sweep and all the warning lights, started, and things were fine. But from then, I noticed that the auto-return feature of the EPS wasn't working. Drove the rest of the 2kms back home, parked the car and today morning, it was all back to normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
A few inputs that may possibly help you:

1. This seems to be a problem but I'm sure you will find it difficult to replicate to them. Hope it was some freak problem which will not recur. Such issue usually occurs in the case of a faulty cut off thermostat due to which after a long time of working the evaporator coil freezes and gets blocked with ice. This obstructs the airflow and gives the effect of low air flow. Switching off the ac for sometime will melt the ice and the problem fixes itself. But ideally this should not happen.

2. If sure its not ac compressor then needs checking out. Since it is at a specific engine rpm it could be your alternator bearing or something along that drive belt like the tensioner pulley that is causing it.

3. Did you stall the engine in your hurry to start off? When the engine stalls with a beep from the meter console it does not start immediately. This is the double crank prevention system. If the starter does not crank immediately on turning the key, just keep the key turned to the start position till it starts cranking. There is no need to switch off and back on again. But again it could be a problem also in your case. Most likely it will be the double crank prevention acting up.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 18:48   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... But from then, I noticed that the auto-return feature of the EPS wasn't working. Drove the rest of the 2kms back home, parked the car and today morning, it was all back to normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
IIRC one of the members here earlier said that there is a sensor that activates the auto-return feature. And that in cars from a higher segment, it is activated from the crank, although this is not the case for Nano.

Apparently in the Nano, to activate the auto-return feature, after cranking, you have to turn the steering to both the extremes before this feature activates itself.

Do try the same & let us know too.
Old 16th June 2015, 23:11   #320
Senior - BHPian

Day 6 with the nano and have a mixed report.

The car is great in town and the ac is brilliant, but I have a couple of grouses.

My first tankful finished before the car hit 300kms, and the mileage calculated was about 12.3, with the mid showing 12. But that was with over an hour of idling with the ac on.

After that did a full tank, but still the date was showing only about 260. Things seem to be improving with the mid now showing 13.9. Hope it gets better with time.

More worrying is my right side power window which failed today evening . I can hear the click when I press the switch but nothing happens.
My right side fog light is well, all fogged up.

Also, has any nano owner noticed a loopy idle at times. It like a cold start on a carb car, in the winter. This doesn't happen on cold start, but randomly.

I was prepared for niggles on a Tata car, but not so early on in the ownership. Let's see what the service center has to say,
Old 17th June 2015, 06:38   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
IIRC one of the members here earlier said that there is a sensor that activates the auto-return feature. And that in cars from a higher segment, it is activated from the crank, although this is not the case for Nano.

Apparently in the Nano, to activate the auto-return feature, after cranking, you have to turn the steering to both the extremes before this feature activates itself.

Do try the same & let us know too.
Tried the lock to lock after cranking yesterday but could not perceive any difference while driving. But I never really thought too much about the active return feature. Was just taking it for granted that it is working behind the scenes. Could someone help on what this really feels like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
My first tankful finished before the car hit 300kms, and the mileage calculated was about 12.3, with the mid showing 12. But that was with over an hour of idling with the ac on.

After that did a full tank, but still the date was showing only about 260. Things seem to be improving with the mid now showing 13.9. Hope it gets better with time.

More worrying is my right side power window which failed today evening . I can hear the click when I press the switch but nothing happens.
My right side fog light is well, all fogged up.

Also, has any nano owner noticed a loopy idle at times. It like a cold start on a carb car, in the winter. This doesn't happen on cold start, but randomly.
Hi JayD
The 'loopy' idle is very much present in my car too. I've noticed it just twice. Once on the very day that I took the delivery at a signal and once yesterday in my porch. The engine rpm fluctuates between 800 to 900 for about 10 seconds. I'm still trying to narrow down the situations in which it occurs. As of now it looks really random. But I get a feeling it happens when the creep kicks in and you suddenly apply the brakes (When creep is engaged the rpm raises to 950 - 1000, possibly to avoid stalling). Since it is so random I have not been able to produce it intentionally. Another thing that I noticed is when the idle becomes erratic, you can see the headlight intensity fluctuating. I wonder if this erratic idle could be caused by a fluctuating electrical load from the AMT unit. It seems to be a harmless phenomenon if you can live with it. Hopefully we will get an update to fix it.

Upset to hear about the PW failure so soon. First of all rule out the possibility that the auto reset has kicked in. If you hold the window switch on for sometime even after it has opened or closed fully, then there is some safety override which activates and the particular window goes dead for some time. But it will start working again after 5 mins or so. Check it out today morning and if it still does not work you do have a problem. It could be a blown fuse. You could try replacing it yourself. The fuse layout is pasted on your sunvisor. The 'fogged' fog lamp, well, that is covered by warranty as long as you have not driven in bumper deep water. But even the new ones will have the same problem unless you get really lucky. I remember replacing the round fog lamps on my Vista QJet for free every monsoon for this reason in Chennai. The trapezoidal fog lamps of the outgoing nano were much better in this aspect. No fogging at all even if wading through water. Have not driven in the rain with the GenX. Will update the thread if it fogs up on mine also.

Mileage is definitely lesser in this model. I am at 14.5 steady now after about 500 km of 100% a/c city driving. Need to check the air pressure and 'up' it a little bit to see if things improve.
Old 17th June 2015, 10:05   #322
BHPian

Mine was delivered on Friday. Overall impression is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
it happens when the creep kicks in and you suddenly apply the brakes (When creep is engaged the rpm raises to 950 - 1000, possibly to avoid stalling).
Exactly! I park my Nano in a very tight spot - right under the stair case. Constant creep - brake, creep - brake disturbs the engine note and the engine struggles to not to stall. It is evident by raised and uneven NVH. I overcome it by putting the car in Neutral and pressing the accelerator pedal a little.

The other issue that I faced the second day was strange and hasn't yet resurfaced. I was able to set ODO After delivery, next morning I was fiddling with car controls, resetting trip meters, adjusting the clock. It was then when I accidentally pressed Set for ODO and to my surprise it was reset to zero. I tried repeating it but was not able to repeat the hack.

This I am not sure if is an issue. Since yesterday, the fifth day, every time I engage reverse I hear sound like 'clink'. This sound has always been present in my other drive Bolero though. Should I visit service station? or is it OK?

Day before yesterday when I was taking my car out the 'E' light (empty) was blinking and DTE was 52. But when I put the gear in A and started moving the E light stopped blinking and petrol level increased (2 points on the meter) with distance to empty raising to 110 which further increased to 250 or so on driving further. Been a couple of days when this happened but now it is decreasing gradually the way it should. But I am not sure if it is OK.

Rest, it is an amazing car to drive. I have been able to overcome the brake issue, in fact, the brakes feel weak only when you are at near idle rpm. You can squeeze into the tightest of parking spots with ease and precision. I am not sure if every one feels so or it is only me, the music system is really good. The sound is crisp, loud and clear with good bass.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-sam_2587min.jpg  

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-sam_2588min.jpg  

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-sam_2589min.jpg  

jeepster_chd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 10:25   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
The other issue that I faced the second day was strange and hasn't yet resurfaced. I was able to set ODO After delivery, next morning I was fiddling with car controls, resetting trip meters, adjusting the clock. It was then when I accidentally pressed Set for ODO and to my surprise it was reset to zero. I tried repeating it but was not able to repeat the hack.
As far as I know, most cars now-a-days have this option to reset the odo - ONCE. This is primarily for the dealer to offset the distance traveled during transit. This can be done once and only once. Guess your dealer missed doing this.
sachinayak is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 10:26   #324
Senior - BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Tried the lock to lock after cranking yesterday but could not perceive any difference while driving. But I never really thought too much about the active return feature. Was just taking it for granted that it is working behind the scenes. Could someone help on what this really feels like please
:

The active return is a neat feature. As soon as you take a turn, pose the grip on the steering a bit, and it automatically comes to the 'straight ahead' position, very quickly. I've gotten so used to it in a few days that i miss it in my other cars.

Quote:
Hi JayD
The 'loopy' idle is very much present in my car too. I've noticed it just twice. Once on the very day that I took the delivery at a signal and once yesterday in my porch. The engine rpm fluctuates between 800 to 900 for about 10 seconds. I'm still trying to narrow down the situations in which it occurs. As of now it looks really random. But I get a feeling it happens when the creep kicks in and you suddenly apply the brakes (When creep is engaged the rpm raises to 950 - 1000, possibly to avoid stalling). Since it is so random I have not been able to produce it intentionally. Another thing that I noticed is when the idle becomes erratic, you can see the headlight intensity fluctuating. I wonder if this erratic idle could be caused by a fluctuating electrical load from the AMT unit. It seems to be a harmless phenomenon if you can live with it. Hopefully we will get an update to fix it.

Upset to hear about the PW failure so soon. First of all rule out the possibility that the auto reset has kicked in. If you hold the window switch on for sometime even after it has opened or closed fully, then there is some safety override which activates and the particular window goes dead for some time. But it will start working again after 5 mins or so. Check it out today morning and if it still does not work you do have a problem. It could be a blown fuse. You could try replacing it yourself. The fuse layout is pasted on your sunvisor. The 'fogged' fog lamp, well, that is covered by warranty as long as you have not driven in bumper deep water. But even the new ones will have the same problem unless you get really lucky. I remember replacing the round fog lamps on my Vista QJet for free every monsoon for this reason in Chennai. The trapezoidal fog lamps of the outgoing nano were much better in this aspect. No fogging at all even if wading through water. Have not driven in the rain with the GenX. Will update the thread if it fogs up on mine also.

Mileage is definitely lesser in this model. I am at 14.5 steady now after about 500 km of 100% a/c city driving. Need to check the air pressure and 'up' it a little bit to see if things improve.
The erratic idle has come up a couple of times for me, I think it's in the same scenarios that you have mentioned. It's harmless but annoying. It is pretty evident and the passengers will also notice the same.

Checked in the morning and the window is still dead. ng I don't think it's a fuse issue as the left side window works fine. And the clicking of the relay is heard when you press the right window controls.

Will be heading to Tata today to get it checked. Will also get the wheel alignment checked. My car came with pressures varying from 20-31 on the tires, and I guess they might not have done the alignment too properly.

The first tank I was driving extra carefully, with the car in full auto mode(very slow) and the mileage was pathetic. This time, it's all in sport and manual, and it actually seems better!
What numbers for you get on your XTA date after you fill a full tank?

Attaching a pic of the 'fogged lamp'
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20150616_203629.jpg  

JayD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:38   #325
BHPian

[quote=JayD;3732687]
Quote:
:

The erratic idle has come up a couple of times for me, I think it's in the same scenarios that you have mentioned. It's harmless but annoying. It is pretty evident and the passengers will also notice the same.
Quote:
Oh, so it happens across Tata's range of petrol vehicles. I have the same random 'loopy' (Thanks Alphaphere, for the term) idling in my Revotron Zest, which I have mentioned in the Zest review thread recently. This however, leads to my engine stalling during a clutch press. I could notice this behavior, when engine is hot with AC on. Service has no clue. Maybe I can find a thread that discusses this loopy idle and continue there.

Quote:
Yesterday, in Kodambakkam signal, I had switched off the vehicle since I expected a long wait. But I didn't notice the signals coming on and all the cars behind me started honking. So I just turned on the ignition and tried starting even before the speedo did the complete sweep - at this moment the car did not start. It gave a "tick tick" sound like when the battery goes dead. I think I was too urgent to get the car started then. I switched it off, switched on the ignition, waited for the sweep and all the warning lights, started, and things were fine.
I had this problem in my 2012 nano, even after waiting for a long time with ignition off. I have taken it multiple times to service, but they were not able to find out the issue. For me it happened thrice, always on a hot day and/or with a extremely long bumper to bumper city drive with AC. I attributed it to a buggy starter relay, which misbehaves when hot. But this experience makes me not switch off the vehicle at lights. Maybe I should start living dangerously and see what happens!
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 12:25   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Mine was delivered on Friday. Overall impression is good.

This I am not sure if is an issue. Since yesterday, the fifth day, every time I engage reverse I hear sound like 'clink'. This sound has always been present in my other drive Bolero though. Should I visit service station? or is it OK?

Day before yesterday when I was taking my car out the 'E' light (empty) was blinking and DTE was 52. But when I put the gear in A and started moving the E light stopped blinking and petrol level increased (2 points on the meter) with distance to empty raising to 110 which further increased to 250 or so on driving further. Been a couple of days when this happened but now it is decreasing gradually the way it should. But I am not sure if it is OK.
Congrats on the car and welcome to the family!

The clink on engaging the 'R' mode is there in all cars. I had specifically noted it in the TD vehicle too.

You had almost a full tank of fuel and the empty indicator was blinking? For me this issue usually happens when you park on a slope with only about a quarter tank of fuel, the reading goes haywire for sometime after you start. But never happened if the tank had a considerable amount of fuel in it. A faulty float I suppose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
As far as I know, most cars now-a-days have this option to reset the odo - ONCE. This is primarily for the dealer to offset the distance traveled during transit. This can be done once and only once. Guess your dealer missed doing this.
I have not touched the 'SET' button on mine till now. Thinking of trying it out when I approach 1000 kms on the odo so that I can delay the first service. They don't do anything worthwhile in the first service anyway I got to know of this feature from the 2014 twist. Hold the 'SET' button down for sometime and the odo resets to '0'. But I do not know if the reset function will get disabled after a certain number of kms are crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
My car came with pressures varying from 20-31 on the tires, and I guess they might not have done the alignment too properly.

What numbers for you get on your XTA date after you fill a full tank?
Do update after the alignment checkup. It should be interesting to know! I had only one full tank till now and that time it showed 266 if my memory is correct. Next fill was not a full tank. I will get another full tank in a day or two and update you on the displayed DTE.
Old 17th June 2015, 12:51   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the car and welcome to the family!

The clink on engaging the 'R' mode is there in all cars. I had specifically noted it in the TD vehicle too.

You had almost a full tank of fuel and the empty indicator was blinking? For me this issue usually happens when you park on a slope with only about a quarter tank of fuel, the reading goes haywire for sometime after you start. But never happened if the tank had a considerable amount of fuel in it. A faulty float I suppose?.
Thank You Alpha! Happy to be a part of Nano family

No, the tank wasn't full, but it was more than quarter. The readings now appear fine. Fingers crossed. Haven't refueled the car yet.

One more thing. While driving I have more than often noticed IFE reading momentarily touching the top 40 mark and quickly falling down to around 20. Got some clue?
Old 17th June 2015, 12:56   #328
BHPian

@Freakmuzik/ @alphahere/ @jeepster - lots of niggles reported by you guys.
Would you still recommend the Nano to fellow Bhpians ?
Old 17th June 2015, 12:59   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You Alpha! Happy to be a part of Nano family

No, the tank wasn't full, but it was more than quarter. The readings now appear fine. Fingers crossed. Haven't refueled the car yet.

One more thing. While driving I have more than often noticed IFE reading momentarily touching the top 40 mark and quickly falling down to around 20. Got some clue?
250 kms on the DTE as you have mentioned can only happen if the tank is almost full IMO. At least for the mileage that I am getting.

The IFE will touch 40 if you lift off the throttle and coast. Press the pedal again and it will come down to around 15 to 20. I think the fuel supply is completely cut off if throttle is lifted. So IFE approaches infinity and shows the max level possible on the display. It behaves the same way in all manufacturers' vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
My opinion is definitely recommended - for a city car. But the owner would need to turn a blind eye or a deaf ear at times to niggles. Thats all. Do not expect Hyundai like perfection here. Thankfully I have not come across any niggles on the GenX till now except the random erratic idling. It was a different story with my 2014 twist that had niggles galore but was reliable at the same time.

Last edited by alphahere : 17th June 2015 at 13:05.
Old 17th June 2015, 14:19   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
The car is not perfect; the things I have pointed out are in fact not niggles but car's lack of perfectness. But for the price, quality, features, technology (AMT), ride quality, interior space, fit & finish (way better than my Bolero and at par or even better than many other cars), easy maneuverability, great music system, there is no reason to not to recommend Nano.

I highly recommend Nano Genx.

Moreover, it is our tendency to find faults when we get more for less. Nano is a perfect package for a small family for daily commute and occasional highway runs.

To conclude - itne mein itna eech milega
jeepster_chd is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed