Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 18:12   #331
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
The car is not perfect; the things I have pointed out are in fact not niggles but car's lack of perfectness. But for the price, quality, features, technology (AMT), ride quality, interior space, fit & finish (way better than my Bolero and at par or even better than many other cars), easy maneuverability, great music system, there is no reason to not to recommend Nano.

I highly recommend Nano Genx.

Moreover, it is our tendency to find faults when we get more for less. Nano is a perfect package for a small family for daily commute and occasional highway runs.

To conclude - itne mein itna eech milega
Completely agree….I just paid for my 5th Nano (2 of these 5 were actually bought for my office).
I had one of the first ones bought in December 2009, followed by another in July 2012, and now the Red AMT with power steering & "auto" transmission. Delivery will be effected tomorrow, so expect more posts….
But just to complement Tata Motors, the Nano is a fantastic product. When I compare how the first 2009 Nano was (sold now) with the recent test drive of the AMT and the 2013 Nano I have now, I cannot but complement the team at Tata Motors for their technical & engineering prowess. In very which way, this car is an engineering marvel, frugal, reliable, sturdy, maintenance free, and now with the added comfort of power steering & "auto" transmission. I look forward to good days ahead….!
shramik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 07:37   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
A few inputs that may possibly help you:
Most likely it will be the double crank prevention acting up.
Will get it checked soon and update here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
IIRC one of the members here earlier said that there is a sensor that activates the auto-return feature. And that in cars from a higher segment, it is activated from the crank, although this is not the case for Nano.

Apparently in the Nano, to activate the auto-return feature, after cranking, you have to turn the steering to both the extremes before this feature activates itself.

Do try the same & let us know too.
I did not know about turning the steering completely but I just noticed something yesterday. The auto return activates only after some time driving (or maybe the full turn as you said, when ever it happens). It's just that I noticed this only at that moment and believed it to be an issue. So glad to know that it's no issue but just how it works.

Quote:
Mine was delivered on Friday. Overall impression is good.
Day before yesterday when I was taking my car out the 'E' light (empty) was blinking and DTE was 52. But when I put the gear in A and started moving the E light stopped blinking and petrol level increased (2 points on the meter) with distance to empty raising to 110 which further increased to 250 or so on driving further. Been a couple of days when this happened but now it is decreasing gradually the way it should. But I am not sure if it is OK.
Congrats jeepster! Wishing you a great time with the car. The DTE is not so accurate and it may take some time to stabilize. Plus if you had put the car in idle for a long time, the DTE will look dismal. This happened to me - before starting from trivandrum, right after delivery, the DTE even after a full tank of petrol was 220 or something. But soon after I hit the highway, it just increased to a reasonable value. From then on, it's been fairly consistent. And the IFE will always give you scarily varying values, be it any car, since it's instantaneous. Therefore, when you coast it might show you a damn high value and when it rip it off, it may go to single digits too. So don't worry on that. It's just an aid to know how to extract more from a liter of petrol.

[quote=nijelj;3732763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

I had this problem in my 2012 nano, even after waiting for a long time with ignition off. I have taken it multiple times to service, but they were not able to find out the issue. For me it happened thrice, always on a hot day and/or with a extremely long bumper to bumper city drive with AC. I attributed it to a buggy starter relay, which misbehaves when hot. But this experience makes me not switch off the vehicle at lights. Maybe I should start living dangerously and see what happens!
I had the starting issue in my old nano and TASS said it's a starter issue. But i don't think this was the case with the GenX though. Will get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
@Freakmuzik/ @alphahere/ @jeepster - lots of niggles reported by you guys.
Would you still recommend the Nano to fellow Bhpians ?
I can say that we're just being too (read with lots of "o") keen on issues popping up. I don't think there's anything to worry at all. I would still recommend this car and such things are noticeable in many cases too. The doors are so easy to close now (unlike the truck like slamming required in my
one), the throttle is very easy to handle, ride is very smooth and there are a ton of positives that keeps getting clearer as we drive too. Once I go for the service, I'l get to know if there were any issues or not.

BTW, my car crossed the 1,000 KM mark yesterday, in exactly 9 days of ownership.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20150616_100431364.jpg
freakmuzik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:24   #333
Senior - BHPian

Took my car to Concorde motors Cochin, yesterday, to get the power window checked.

What has taken me by surprise till now is how courteous and cooperative the staff has been, right from the booking time till now.

I took the car at 11:30AM yesterday, and was instantly taken it, and a whole team set out on it. They were wearing gloves, and they put a sheet on the floor an seat to prevent it from getting dirty.

They tried changing the switch, but that was not the issue. After some trial and error it was noted that there was no power coming to the motor, indicating there was a loose connection/ break in the circuit somewhere. It was found and fixed, and the car was scanned for any errors. I got the vehicle back by 7:30. They kept updating me at regular intervals, and worked overtime to ensue I got the car back on the same day.

The car has now crossed 350kms, and its getting smoother by the day. I've run 120km on my second tankfull, and my DTE now shows 348km.

The Nano may have rough edges, but i'm loving it, and was really happy to get it back last night. Hope this is the end of the niggles.

And good work by the Concorde team. Till date the sales and service experience has been better than my experience with maruti and Honda. Hope you guys keep it up!!

Last edited by JayD : 18th June 2015 at 11:26.
JayD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 09:41   #334
BHPian

It's been exactly a week since our GenX XTA came home. The rate of clocking up of kms has drastically come down from the first 2 days. Work responsibilities are keeping me away from enjoying the car. Got my second full tank yesterday and the DTE read 277 km. This is frankly not a very big jump from the older nano which used to show 220 km with its 15L fuel tank under the same conditions. So the GenX will last me 9 days with a full tank whereas the old one used to run dry in 7 days. I guess this is a small price to pay for a more well rounded and more comfortable car. Hope this improves with time. Where the older nano used to feel very zippy and frisky like an excited puppy, this one feels kind of more refined and composed more like the puppy's mum. Performance wise the twist or for that matter even the older nanos will smoke the GenX (Can't comment on the non AMT one though). It feels lesser agile than the twist too somehow. Users who upgrade from the twist should immediately notice the difference in handling. That was truly a point and shoot vehicle. It could be that I am missing the control offered by the clutch pedal and I keep getting the nagging feeling that it has a mind of its own that is not fully under my control. Maybe I should have opted for the manual but the AMT was the only reason for my upgrade. So I have decided to cut off on the aggressive driving in city and go along with the traffic flow now instead of trying to fill in unthinkable gaps. I am unable to gather confidence or courage to do those moves in this car. Maybe these differences are a good thing after all. Also I had planned for the following accessories:

1. Alloy Wheels
I was out in the market searching for black finish alloy wheels with the TATA Y-spoke design. All the dealers had the aluminium coloured V-spoke design (The one that was present from Tata Nano Special Edition onwards). Managed to find a set of black wheels yesterday for a good deal after a bit of haggling. Just for the information, the silver wheels are priced cheaper than the corresponding black ones for reasons known only to them. A few months back both were priced same and cheaper than now. Anyway looks have sort of changed and I am happy with it. Tyres remain the crappy JK Ultima LXT and did not do balancing due to the small rim diameter and the lower speeds this car can do.

2. Bosch Clear Advantage Flat Blade Wiper
Installed this myself and wiping has been excellent and smooth. Looks upmarket too and does not stick so much 'in your face' compared to the thick stock blade. The stock wiper blade used to chatter loudly and leave marks on the windscreen while wiping. Got the 26 inch Bosch ones for Rs 400 from JC Road.

3. 3M Underbody Coating
This is not really needed but I have done it for an extra layer of protection in case the stock sealant has gaps. TATA car after all. It costs only 1500 for the nano at 3M for the 2 year solution.

4. Day/Night IRVM
Installed this myself. It is a simple affair as in just slide out the old mirror from its holder and slide in the new one. Driving at night has become so much easier now with the anti glare setting.

5. Double Horn
The stock horn is meek and does not make even a stray dog stroll out of the way let alone our cyclists. I have a pair of Denso Compact Fullpower Tone which will be going in this weekend. This horn does not require a relay but is sufficiently loud at the same time. Now the chore is to find an ideal place in the front to install them. The bumper might need to be removed so am not trying a DIY install. It was easier on the older nano.

6. Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited Bulbs
This was on the list but was pleasantly surprised by the headlamps on my first night drive back from work yesterday. These were good to say the least! The beam was full and thick with a clear focus into the distance. Tried looking at the bulbs after reaching home but there was no make written on them. It was kind of comparable to the Philips Xtremevisions that I have installed on my other car. So decided to give this upgrade a miss for the time being at least till these bulbs start fading.

Left Side - Bosch wiper visible too
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20150619_084943.jpg

Right Side - The lack of mudflaps is glaring
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20150619_085350.jpg

The Day/Night IRVM
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20150619_091054.jpg

Look at what's mentioned on the radiator. Found this while hunting for a place for the horn!
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20150616_090043.jpg
alphahere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 17:58   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Managed to find a set of black wheels yesterday for a good deal after a bit of haggling.
Your ride looks hot in those black alloy wheels. How much did you pay for them. The dealer in my town after a lot of bargaining has agreed to fix these for 8500 and I believe it is a good price or isn't it.

Quote:
Tyres remain the crappy JK Ultima LXT
I was able to get MRF tyres after I insisted for them
Old 19th June 2015, 22:32   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Your ride looks hot in those black alloy wheels. How much did you pay for them. The dealer in my town after a lot of bargaining has agreed to fix these for 8500 and I believe it is a good price or isn't it.
Thanks for the compliment! I have had my eyes on this design ever since I started using a nano. In a dimly lit basement or porch, these wheels look out of this world. This is due to the slant built into the smaller Y spokes that makes the car look as if it is floating on a big 3 pointed star! That is a fantastic price you got for a set of 4. Check if it includes the centre caps and the valves as well because they are packed as separate pieces and hence have their own rate stickers on them. These do not come with the alloys in the carton. And does this include the fixing charges? If everything is included then its a mouthwatering price. Go for it if its real! What about buyback for your existing rims? It is not available anywhere near that price point down south I suppose. The silver ones are at 10.5k and black ones at almost 13k everywhere. A few months back every alloy wheel design for the nano was priced at 9k here with fixing charges extra. Now the dealers are capitalizing on the GenX demand and increasing the accessories price also. Those who want can buy else go take a hike. I managed to get mine for 11k all included and chose not to give back my rims for a small discount. Else it would have come to about 10k I guess.

Last edited by alphahere : 19th June 2015 at 22:50.
Old 20th June 2015, 07:11   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's been exactly a week since our GenX XTA came home.
Superb mods. You car looks great.

Is this the shade which comes with black interiors?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 12:28   #338
BHPian

An update on the erratic idle issue. I have managed to narrow down some of the situations. The idle will not become erratic whatever you do if the a/c is on and the compressor is working. Switch off the a/c and try the creep-stop move. It becomes erratic sometimes. It stays erratic even if you let off all pedals and move the selector to 'N' also. Waiting for sometime it may or may not settle by itself. Prod the throttle once or switch on the a/c. Becomes smooth again. This definitely seems to be a software bug. Hope they keep releasing updates like they are doing for the Zest Revotron.

Installed the double horn from a FNG today and I feel more safe on the road already. Now jaywalkers have to turn about and take notice. No mods were needed and they just used an existing bolt next to the spare tyre to mount the second horn. Got my first puncture today on the JK LXT. Never had a puncture in the last one year of usage with Bridgestone. Was surprised to see a nail embedded in the right front tire. It must have come from the FNG. So drove to the nearest repair guy and fixed it with the usual plug. Hope it stays put. This puncture is probably just bad luck and not the fault of the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Superb mods. You car looks great.

Is this the shade which comes with black interiors?
All XT variants come with 'latte' interiors which looks like a lighter beige colour except 'Persian Rose' which is built on order and has black interiors. The lower versions XE and XM also come with black interiors is what they say. But in all the variants the bezel and trim colour varies according to body colour in some strange combination as mentioned in the brochure.

Last edited by alphahere : 20th June 2015 at 12:29.
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:38   #339
BHPian

As per Business standard 3000 Genx nano's have been sold. out of which 1000 have been delivered and 2000 are in the process of being delivered.

Source

Quote:
Interestingly, bulk of the buyers are queuing up for the AMT version that is priced in a range of Rs 2.69 to Rs 2.89 lakh and not for the Rs 1.99 lakh entry level MT model, indicating that the ‘cheap’ car tag associated with the previous Nano could be heading to an end. Dealers said there is a waiting period of six weeks for the AMT version and two weeks for the MT car. The AMT waiting is primarily due to delay in supply of AMT kits that gets imported. An official with a Pune based Tata Motors dealership said buyers prefer to buy the top end AMT version since there is a difference of only Rs 20,000 between the top end and the next available AMT model.
ADVERTISING

“Based on our total bookings, 70 per cent of the GenX Nanos booked are the AMT version
Seems this little gem is bringing more foot traffic into the showrooms, which IMO is equally important as sales. Hopefully they can keep this momentum building. There still seem to be some Tata dealers that lack in providing detailed info to walk in customers unless you are ready to book/buy on the spot. Even if their ASS is acceptable, the sales staff of such Tata dealers probably inspire customers to walk over to the local Maruti/Hyundai showroom.
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:44   #340
Senior - BHPian

The wait is just irritating ! We booked the Nano AMT even before the launch and both dealers in Pune have failed to deliver the Nano to us. It seems that all those who paid in cash, got deliveries a little earlier than those who opted for loan. But i dont that makes any difference, as banks approve the loan in 3-4 days now a days. Some stupid excuse I say.

We are now promised a delivery in 1st week of July. Being in Pune where TML has its HQ, I thought the delivery will be fastest. But since Nano is manufactured in Gujarat, that point is moot.
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:26   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgam.boonyi View Post
As per Business standard 3000 Genx nano's have been sold. out of which 1000 have been delivered and 2000 are in the process of being delivered.
Source
Isn't this less than lukewarm compared to the 1000+ bookings per day for a few weeks when the Celerio was launched?
From the article
Quote:
An executive with a Delhi-based dealer said the firm had sold about 30 GenX Nanos in the first month of the launch against an average of 10 cars for the previous model. He added the dealership had about a hundred visitors every week who wanted to explore the AMT version.
Rough calculations, around 400+ visits in the month and less than 10% converted to sales. I feel that Tata is still trying to sell the Bolt or the Zest (tried that with me last year) to those who walk in for the GenX. Once the fad of the new economy AMT fades away, the footfalls will dwindle and they may be back at 10 cars per month.
Quote:
There still seem to be some Tata dealers that lack in providing detailed info to walk in customers unless you are ready to book/buy on the spot. Even if their ASS is acceptable, the sales staff of such Tata dealers probably inspire customers to walk over to the local Maruti/Hyundai showroom.
+1. They usually do it backwards, they want you to book it and then they will elaborate, which means they are not confident that if they elaborate you will book it.
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:07   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The wait is just irritating ! We booked the Nano AMT even before the launch and both dealers in Pune have failed to deliver the Nano to us. It seems that all those who paid in cash, got deliveries a little earlier than those who opted for loan. But i dont that makes any difference, as banks approve the loan in 3-4 days now a days. Some stupid excuse I say.
I have a booking form Apr 24th and still dont have visibility on my delivery date. I agreed to pay cash - but am still awaiting a confirmation call from the dealer.
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:12   #343
BHPian

Quote:
I have a booking form Apr 24th and still dont have visibility on my delivery date. I agreed to pay cash - but am still awaiting a confirmation call from the dealer.
I booked on 22th May and got the car on 12th June though the colour I got was my second preference. Booked the Royal Gold but since only Damson Purple was available, settled for that because that was not too bad too. The dealer was keeping mum all these days, he informed about this colour availability only when I contacted him to know the current status. Maybe you could try the same.
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:24   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I booked on 22th May and got the car on 12th June though the colour I got was my second preference. Booked the Royal Gold but since only Damson Purple was available, settled for that because that was not too bad too.
Considering your waiting period, I believe I was lucky. I got the delivery of my car right away. In fact, I paid just 1000 rupees as booking amount and the day my loan was finalized, I was able to take the delivery of my car.

Reason being, dealers in my part of the world are selling more manuals than AMTs. That is also the reason why I was able to PDI and even test drive the car even before I actually bought it (courtesy Team-BHP PDI checklist)
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:28   #345
BHPian

Does anybody have the pics of the interior of:

XTA
  • Black+Cappuccino accents

and

XMA
  • Black+Red accents
  • Black +Silver accents

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com