Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2015, 09:04   #361
BHPian

Re: First Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I have changed the spark plugs, but the problem persists. Now will try changing the spark cable. But, this issue has not given me any problem, post first start the car works flawless. The odo has reached now 32K kms. Got the new tyres for rear, the earlier ones got bent. This ones have started showing signs of bend, checked the rear alignment today it was okay, suspension was also okay.
I think the "starting" problems are linked to mixture control, I beleive this can only be checked & adjusted electronically through adjustments to the EMU. There is a possibility that the inlet air sensor may be misreading, but again, this can be investigated electronically.

As regards "....signs of (tyre) bend.." what exactly do you mean ? Is the rear tyre inner tread wearing off ? From my experience of the Nano, 32,000 Kms is a respectable mileage for a 12" tyre. If the inner tread is wearing off, chances are that the rear suspension needs a camber check. I beleive static reading should be 1 d + or thereabouts.
Old 28th June 2015, 10:03   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post

As regards "....signs of (tyre) bend.." what exactly do you mean ? Is the rear tyre inner tread wearing off ? From my experience of the Nano, 32,000 Kms is a respectable mileage for a 12" tyre. If the inner tread is wearing off, chances are that the rear suspension needs a camber check. I beleive static reading should be 1 d + or thereabouts.
Yes, tyre wearing from inside is what I meant. Got the camber checked yesterday, it was okay. The front two tyre are good to go for another 10,000 kms. I think that Nano tyres can easily do 40K plus. My old tyres started showing abnormal wear from 10K kms. I did'nt paid much attention and situation got worse. Will visit TASC in a few days to get everything checked again in front of me.
Old 28th June 2015, 10:34   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Yes, tyre wearing from inside is what I meant. Got the camber checked yesterday, it was okay. The front two tyre are good to go for another 10,000 kms. I think that Nano tyres can easily do 40K plus. My old tyres started showing abnormal wear from 10K kms. I did'nt paid much attention and situation got worse. Will visit TASC in a few days to get everything checked again in front of me.
As I understand, the only reason for wear on the inner tread is due to negative camber. The Nano's rear suspension is a kind of "swing arm", so if the camber is not +1d positive static unladen, then under load, it may go down to 0d or -1d. Anything beyond this will cause inner tread wear. You mention 32,000 Km tyre life hitherto, so I suggest before alignment, you get the rear suspension checked for any play in the mountings or bushes. If any components are worn, it can give a wrong camber reading. After replacing any worn components, a re-alignment should resolve tyre wear problems, obviously more noticeable on new tyres.

Quote:
I think the "starting" problems are linked to mixture control, I beleive this can only be checked & adjusted electronically through adjustments to the EMU. There is a possibility that the inlet air sensor may be misreading, but again, this can be investigated electronically.

I think I found the cause of starting trouble.
When you switch on the ignition, you get a whirring sound. This, I beleive, is the sound of the fuel pump, pressurising the fuel injection system. When the sound stops, is when you try starting the engine. I experienced no problems when I tried this way today.

After a few minutes (30 minutes), waiting for pressure to normalise, I re-started the engine right away without waiting for the pump to pressurise, and the same problem re-appeared. Any takers for this theory ?

Last edited by ampere : 30th June 2015 at 07:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 13:20   #364
BHPian

Quote:
When you switch on the ignition, you get a whirring sound. This, I beleive, is the sound of the fuel pump, pressurising the fuel injection system. When the sound stops, is when you try starting the engine. I experienced no problems when I tried this way today.

After a few minutes (30 minutes), waiting for pressure to normalise, I re-started the engine right away without waiting for the pump to pressurise, and the same problem re-appeared. Any takers for this theory ?
Fuel pumps run continuously in all cars. The initial operation of the pump is only to prime the system so that the ECU can check everything. The pump normally runs as soon as you turn the key to start the engine.

My 2011 Nano has the same problem. So far I've not observed any pattern to this "bug" except that it almost always happens when the engine is warm. I've complained to ASC and they claimed to have checked the starter and the fuel pump and told me that both are alright. The randomness of the problem makes it impossible to reproduce when you want to show the SA.
Old 28th June 2015, 13:26   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Fuel pumps run continuously in all cars. The initial operation of the pump is only to prime the system so that the ECU can check everything. The pump normally runs as soon as you turn the key to start the engine.

My 2011 Nano has the same problem. So far I've not observed any pattern to this "bug" except that it almost always happens when the engine is warm. I've complained to ASC and they claimed to have checked the starter and the fuel pump and told me that both are alright. The randomness of the problem makes it impossible to reproduce when you want to show the SA.
While granting that fuel pumps run continously, in the case of my Nano, I think that the initial lack of adequate fuel pressure was the cause of the intermittemt running. It would show up the same symptoms as a "weak" mixture considering that there was not enough "petrol" pressure in the system. Once the system was pressurised, the starting & running was fine.

But if you have this problem with a hot engine, you need to check the possibility of vapourisation in the fuel lines.
Old 28th June 2015, 14:30   #366
BHPian

Quote:

The whirring sound starts in my car as soon as the door is unlocked using the remote. It comes again when the driver door is opened also. Next it comes when the ignition is turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
+1 to this. Just once it happened to me on a morning first start. Otherwise it always used to happen when I switch off at signals. So I do not believe it is releated to temperature. But makes me curious since so many users have experienced this defect. Could it be a design flaw? I'm sure this can't be fixed at TASC. Needs deeper investigation IMO. But I noticed that an error code for powertrain used to get logged when this happens. Found this by clearing the codes and later when the misfiring happened immediately pulled over and scanned for errors and there it was.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:36   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Enjoy your ride! The twist gives a more 'powerful' drive than the GenX. Noticed that you have wider tyres up front. What's the size and how do they fare? Do they touch the antiroll bar on the right side and inner wheel arch on the left side on a full lock left turn? Try this move on a slope(like backing the car out of a porch ramp). My twist used to scrape which is why I have retained the original smaller tyres on the GenX now.

Note of WARNING to all nano owners:ensure he jacks the car and supports it from below the floor and not on the long ridge where the running board meets the floor panel. The running board ridge is not strong enough to support the weight especially at the rear and will buckle inwards.
Thanks Man.

All four tyres are now 155/65R12. Spare wheel is 135/70R12 which came with the car. In my few days of usage, luckily the larger wheels are not scrapping the arches when I tried full lock to left and right. And found Nano secure enough to drive and stop which was a question in back of my mind after reading so many reviews here. May be because of the upsized front tyres as the previous owner updated me of his frustration with 135/70R12 which forced him to upgrade immediately after the car purchase.

And thanks for the tip on jacking the car.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 17:42   #368
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

AutocarIndia has published their comparison test of Nano AMT and Alto AMT. Not surprisingly, their winner is the Nano.

Quote:
The Nano has never been better than it is today, the automatic gearbox only highlighting what an incredible city car it is – it’s just so easy to drive in urban conditions and the incredibly tight turning circle gives it big advantage. The facelift is surprisingly effective at dusting off some of the car’s ‘cheap’ image, the openable hatch is a big help, and these days it’s loaded with just about all the creature comforts that you need. It does lose some points for refinement, its tiny boot can’t hold much and of course there’s the obvious power deficit which is accentuated by the AMT which tends to fumble. But these are things of little consequence in intra-city driving, which is where this car really shines. And at this budget-conscious end of the market, a price advantage of Rs 1.1 lakh is just too big to ignore, and is what seals the deal for the Nano.
source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-395648.aspx/0
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 18:14   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
jacs : In my few days of usage, luckily the larger wheels are not scrapping the arches when I tried full lock to left and right.
The different sizes was deliberate, to prevent under-steer. This question has been asked earlier - but not sure which thread.

Looks like you have driven the car with same size tyres now. Can you do a drive in a car with stock spec tyre and share the comparison ?
Old 30th June 2015, 18:15   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
AutocarIndia has published their comparison test of Nano AMT and Alto AMT. Not surprisingly, their winner is the Nano.

source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-395648.aspx/0
Surprisingly, that review does not even talk about the Brakes at all, let alone testing them.

Useless review. I am sorry but AC seem to have a soft corner for TATA budget cars. However i don't mean to say Nano is a bad car.

Last edited by DCEite : 30th June 2015 at 18:16.
Old 1st July 2015, 09:24   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The different sizes was deliberate, to prevent under-steer. This question has been asked earlier - but not sure which thread.

Looks like you have driven the car with same size tyres now. Can you do a drive in a car with stock spec tyre and share the comparison ?
I have read this on another thread and somewhere on TML website too but cannot comment on its validity. I had used my car with stock tyres for 4000km and then later changed all four tyres to Bridgestone B290 155/65 R12 and used it for another 6000km. I did not find any difference in handling. It was more or less same even in fast cornering if not better in fact. But the stopping power had increased a lot with same size tyres all round and the front end looked a bit higher. The smaller tyres in front used to lock very easily under hard braking. The only issue I had faced in this upgrade was that both the front tyres used to touch very lightly (left wheel on the inner plastic wheel arch and right wheel on the stabilizer bar) on a full lock left turn only on a sloping surface. It cannot even be termed as 'fouling' with the wheel arch. The rubbing sound was audible more so with dirt on the wheel. There was no problem at all on a full lock right turn. Guess this could have been fixed at an alignment shop by adjusting the max angle of left turn at the cost of turning radius or it should have fixed itself after the tyres wear off a little. Using alloys with a different offset may also have solved the problem but it is hard to source these. From the triviality of this issue it looks like another make of tyre or maybe another car may not have the problem. Could have been specific to mine. But anyway realized that the clearance is way too small to do this upgrade satisfactorily as it may or may not turn out to be good. So I have refrained from doing this on the GenX.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 09:59   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I did not find any difference in handling. It was more or less same even in fast cornering if not better in fact. But the stopping power had increased a lot with same size tyres all round and the front end looked a bit higher.
My driving experience on Nano is too less to comment on the difference. I never found a challenge with my Test Drive cars with stock tyres. But yes the previous owner claimed that the upgrade helped him to improve the confidence in cornering and stopping the car.

JK Tyres for Nano doesn't look very promising as Hillram mentioned few pages back. Even in few days of usage, I found front wheels not gripping enough in gravel surface near the gate of my house. Not sure if this is due to underweight on front side which I should get used to. Or may be switching to a better tyre set in next change makes more sense.

Last edited by jacs : 1st July 2015 at 10:01.
Old 3rd July 2015, 07:17   #373
BHPian

Test drove the AMT Tata Nano yesterday. Its pretty good. The auto transmission is fairly good. Slight lag upon pressing the accelerator, but not much different than the conventional automatics (that have torque converter) in terms of driving experience.

Power steering and AC is absolutely fantastic.

One downside was that it was quite noisy.

On road price in Bangalore is 3.6L. For an AMT, that's a good deal, isn't it?
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:05   #374
Senior - BHPian

I would not change over from the OE tyre size spec. Tata hasn't put in different sizes to save costs, but for engineering and driving safety reasons after extensive testing of the car, even when it results in an issue with not offering a full service stepney, an inconvenience even if it is a minor one. This change may not matter much in the city, but may have undesirable outcomes on the highway.
They may themselves change over to one size in future, but that will come with a change in the set up/geometry.
Some things in cars are best left alone,or at the very least, in expert hands.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 11:32   #375
BHPian

My GenX has covered 1600 km now. I got my worst FE in the last week. Due to some changes in my work location, I had my last weeks commute changed - Koyambedu to Ethiraj Salai and at times from Ethiraj Salai to Adyar via Mount Road and other diverted roads. Travel from Koyambedu to Ethiraj Salai (approx 8kms) that takes around 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour 30 mins returned me 12.5 kmpl. This was with 100 % A/C and not much mercy to the A pedal whenever I could move.

And got some interesting thing to share too. I had been to my home (Trivandrum) this weekend and drove our Wagon-R and Eon. Earlier when I had my old Nano, driving the W-R and Eon was a breeze with their Power Steering and nimble controls. But after one month of the GenX experience, I literally felt had a shocking experience with W-R and Eon which felt like a truck immediately. Yes, even the Eon!! I just realized how easy is the Power Steering of the GenX. It's way too light to handle in the city. But yeah, both the W-R and Eon felt better built and solid though. I found these three cars almost fairly comparable (except for the Engine Refinement & power) where as the old Nano was no where near to the other cars in terms of build, ride quality or the driving experience (yes, I do miss the fun of the Non-PS though).

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks