Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 18:03   #556
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
So I'd advise to take care of that too.

Even my recent experience with Concorde Motors (Dairy Circle, Bangalore) was no less than horrible with the SA giving me an estimate of 1-1.5k and the final bill amounting to 5.5k with nonsensical additions. The mail to TATA CC was of no consequence.

Thanks GrammarNazi and I took your words with all the seriousness. After Prerana took the car to their workshop for service, they called to tell me that for some xyz service, they will be charging me Rs.300/-. I was pissed off and said when you sold the AMC for about 6K, you said there won't be a single rupee charge for the next service. As usual, they said about how xyz service was not in the AMC maintenance. I told them sternly that I don't need your xyz.

Finally, they delivered xyz without any charges. Must say that Prerana is really better, at least at the moment, or at least for me
PNTLovesNano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 19:28   #557
BHPian

Been so long since I updated anything about my Nano GenX. Been really held up with work here hence the delay.

In chennai, the Average FE over the last 1500 km is around 15 to 15.5 kmpl. This is through peak hour traffic - morning 10 am sorts and evening 6.30 - 7pm sorts along Koyambedu - Nungambakkam - Ethiraj Salai - Adyar - Thiruvanmyur - are the routes I do usually.

Yesterday morning, I drove to Mahabalipuram and then in the evening to Auroville and got back today morning from Auroville to Chennai.

Total trip - 341 kms
AFE - 21 kmpl

Chennai Mahabalipuram took around 1 hour 45 mins. Mahabalipuram to Auroville took over 2 hours. But today morning, the drive back was amazing. Roads from Auroville to Mahabalipuram (ECR) was great, though mostly two lane. The Nano felt most comfortable at speeds of 75kmph to 80 kmph. 90 kmph was also easily possible without much nervousness. 100 kmph was doable but you'l eventually get down to 90 kmph due to the engine noise and wind noise. Cross winds do affect at high speeds. But the new nano is so much better than its first iteration. I never feel comfortable even in my Wagon-r at speeds above 105kmph - 110 kmph, so I can easily accept a Nano doing 90kmph.

I just loved the Nano even more after yesterdays drive. Best part is in the highways, the engine is always in the mid-range. Since I was also driving alone (= less load), I just had to push the throttle to overtake other vehicles since torque lies in the mid-range here - one good thing about 4 gear configuration.

AFE will go upto 24 - 25 kmpl if you stay at 70 - 75 kmph. But if you maintain 80 - 90, the FE will come down to around 21 - 22. I also did some bits of idling and roaming around Pondy city and Mahabalipuram town.

I've been loving the experience every bit. Driving through horrible chennai traffic has resulted in a couple of minor scratches, I think, while the car was parked. Anyways, the things I love about my Nano,

1) Ease of use - effortless, responsive power steering, Light controls, dreamy turning radius
2) Respectable Fuel Efficiency
3) Awesome Air-Con
4) Openable boot
5) Seating comfort and riding height
6) Ground Clearence
7) Decent Highway character

Things that I'm not so happy with -

1) Fit - Though vastly improved, I can hear a very minor rattle from near the left glovebox and while driving through very rough patches, it's not perfectly silent - too much to expect, but still - eon is way better in this
2) FE is slightly lesser in highways due to the 4 gear configuration
3) Boot is not big enough
4) NVH is nowhere close to other cars, especially at higher revs (i don't know how good an alto is in this department)

Improvements over my old Nano -

1) Fit and finish are better by miles!
2) Controls are so light and easy to operate - ABC pedals, control stalks, everything! Old nano relatively might feel like a truck
3) Seats - way more comfortable
4) High speed manners - 90kmph doesn't feel scary at all.
5) Suspension is much better too - its smooth and absorbs undulations better
6) One usable bottle holder finally - old one had two small bottle holders which weren't functional at all. New one fits a 1L or 1.5L even
7) Steering is great to hold

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 13:27   #558
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Turbocharged Tata Nano in the works?

I am seriously contemplating to purchase a NANO AMT for my Dad. He is 75 years old, shall drive in and around Dwarka, Delhi, once in two months a drive to Pashchim Vihar to meet his brother and maybe once a month to South City Heights at Gurgaon. He shall not be doing any driving at night. Top speed that he is comfortable with is 60 kmph. Once a year I shall use it to go to the same places. The Nano AMT ticks all our requirement boxes perfectly, just want to read a long term ownership reveiw.

Are the brakes actually a concern, everyone seems to be talking about it
Old 1st October 2015, 14:35   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
I am seriously contemplating to purchase a NANO AMT for my Dad. He is 75 years old, shall drive in and around Dwarka, Delhi, once in two months a drive to Pashchim Vihar to meet his brother and maybe once a month to South City Heights at Gurgaon. He shall not be doing any driving at night. Top speed that he is comfortable with is 60 kmph. Once a year I shall use it to go to the same places. The Nano AMT ticks all our requirement boxes perfectly, just want to read a long term ownership reveiw.

As long as the speed is kept under limits and you do not follow the vehicle in front too closely, the brakes should be fine.
Nano AMT is a city car, and if driven sedately within the city, there should not be any problem.
It is actually a very good car for elderly people, because of its tallboy structure (easier ingress & egress) and roomy cabin. Due to its small footprint, it is much easy to drive and find parking spaces.
There may not be any long term ownership reviews yet, because it got launched just a few months ago.
Best wishes for your purchase!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 15:04   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am seriously contemplating to purchase a NANO AMT for my Dad. He is 75 years old, shall drive in and around Dwarka, Delhi.
With due respect to your dad but at the same time to be brutally honest to you, I would opine that 75 is not the age to drive around, rather to be driven around. Arrange for a driver for him if you cannot drive him around due to your own commitments.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 18:07   #561
BHPian

Hi Saket, thanks for your advice, I too am of the same opinion, but knowing my Dad, his nature, his physical fitness level, it shall be next to impossible for anyone to convince him not to be independant and manage his own chores himself. I have tried many times, though not yet given up, I know I am fighting a loosing battle against him!
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 20:02   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Saket, thanks for your advice, I too am of the same opinion, but knowing my Dad, his nature, his physical fitness level, it shall be next to impossible for anyone to convince him not to be independant and manage his own chores himself. I have tried many times, though not yet given up, I know I am fighting a loosing battle against him!
Dont worry just let him enjoy his independence for as long as possible. Do request him to TD it first.

I had my 72 year old dad test drive the AMT XTA which he found easy to get in and drive and loved the AC performance and interior space.He even commented that the power steering was light and easier than our Getz & Swift. Took him few minutes to get used to not having the clutch (after 40+ years of driving a manual). He liked it but has a mental block towards Tata cars. So I won't force him to get one. My wife however is sold on it and we will be booking in a short while as she won't be able to use it till early January. Will see if my dad tries it out once we get it after the waiting period of 8-12 weeks as mentioned in Chennai.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 00:18   #563
BHPian

Hi , I have a query to everyone who got the Nano AMT. Did you folks ever consider the Alto AMT as an option and if so why did you rule it out ? And , did you regret the decision or are you really happy that you selected the Nano AMT instead ?

And would you say that the general thinking that the Nano or Tata cars all have some niggles and problems - and you should overlook that - or do you think that this opinion is out of touch with reality ?
Old 5th October 2015, 14:37   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post
Hi , I have a query to everyone who got the Nano AMT. Did you folks ever consider the Alto AMT as an option and if so why did you rule it out ? And , did you regret the decision or are you really happy that you selected the Nano AMT instead ?

And would you say that the general thinking that the Nano or Tata cars all have some niggles and problems - and you should overlook that - or do you think that this opinion is out of touch with reality ?
Dear deltheking, let me explain the rationale behind my decision. Maybe it will help you in making one. The Alto AMT was about 1.2 lakhs more expensive than the Nano AMT in Bangalore on road. Also, given that I have driven celerio which is even more expensive, I can surely say that the gear shift can be perceived heavily in AMT of Alto. Nano uses the advanced AMT of the two and the gear shifts are less noticeable. Also, design and space wise Nano is any day better than the maruti counter parts as per me. All said and done, I think Nano AMT is a better choice in its price segment and comes fully loaded with a decent music system with Bluetooth integration !!
Its too early for me to conclude the niggle free ownership of Nano AMT as its only 3 weeks and 500 Kms old but I own tata products Safari and Manza and believe me I have never gone to the workshop other than for regular servicing !! So hope Nano AMT also remains the same in terms of ownership experience . Also, I know that Maruti vehicles are also not niggle free especially in the Alto price range. Maybe Tata is better
power ranger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 13:59   #565
BHPian

What is the typical booking amount people have paid to book XTA at Aadya, Bangalore? I am looking to book one soon and want to pay the least amount possible, in case I change my mind in the ~2 months of waiting and stand to lose it.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:36   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
What is the typical booking amount people have paid to book XTA at Aadya, Bangalore? I am looking to book one soon and want to pay the least amount possible, in case I change my mind in the ~2 months of waiting and stand to lose it.
The booking amount is just Rs. 5000
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 15:48   #567
BHPian

Quote:

Our XTA purchase was for my wife who will drive in <10 km radius. Primary use is for ferrying my son from school/ sports / tutions - she was on a 2 wheeler till now. For longer trips we have a Corolla in the stable.

We did try the Alto AMT but the delta of 1.2L on road was not making any financial sense for our use case. All we wanted was a nimble automatic without having to shell out too much - Nano fit the slot perfectly.

In 2 months we have driven 1500 kms and there has not been a day when i felt that I made a bad decision. In fact I have preferred it over my corolla to avoid the hassles of battling Bangalore traffic.

Its a perfect 2nd city car - as long as this is your primary use-case you wont regret your decision.
LonelyPlanet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 19:31   #568
BHPian

Quote:

My in laws at Kolkata have a Zen Lxi of year 2000 vintage. I am 6 feet one and a half inch tall and due to my love for food, am well built (read over weight). Fitting myself in that Zen is a huge challenge. I frequently bang my head on the door channel while getting in. One day, I banged my head at the same spot a 2nd time! The Zen has just done 24,xxx kms.

2 months ago, while at Kolkata, I requested the Nano dealer for a test drive - I wanted the AMT but they brought the MT. The sales guy was pretty knowledgeable and answered most of my questions.

I have a 1 year old son. I have given strict instructions to my wife that she should not ingress or egress the car holding our son, rather hand him over to the driver before getting in, once in, the driver is to had over our son to her. While coming out, she is to hand over our son to the driver (who is already out of the car) and then she is to come out.

My wife who does not know anything about cars other than a mode of transport was pleasently surprised how easily she could get in and out of the Nano that too carrying my son - USP

With my height and weight I was very comfortable on the driver's seat (I drive a Nissan Altima in Oman), the drivability made me grin!

I shall definately go in for it.
ALTIMAed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 19:03   #569
BANNED

Quote:

Hi ALTIMAed,

Having owned and driven around in a 2010 LX Nano in Delhi, let me assure you that there is NO better city car than the Nano. Add the present car's features, build quality and the openable boot for the sticker price, it becomes a steal.

My wife uses the car on a daily basis, has covered about 38K kms till date. FE has never been below 17 kpl during summers (with full time A/C). Yes, the manual steering at parking speeds now seems tough once one gets used to power assisted ones, I learnt driving on a Hindustan Trekker and a 118 NE, followed by an Indica DLE, so find the going smooth, anyways.

For the stated purpose of your father, the Nano fits the bill perfectly, especially the sitting posture (up and straight, rather than close to the road) and easy egress / ingress. There are tons of space inside and our usual shopping car is the Nano, not the ARIA !

It is cheap / economical to maintain and an occassional component to be replaced after completing 4 years is my experience. Very reliable, as I said, my wife uses it, who knows nothing in the car except the key hole and how to drive !
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 19:29   #570
BHPian

Thanks a lot, really appreciate.

Is there a reliable TATA dealer in Dwarka / Najafgarh area, dread to think my Dad being pawned off a lemon, since I shall not be at India at the time of purchase.

Most Viewed