Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 06:00   #571
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

It has been a long time since I posted any update about my GenX. It's about 6000km now and she has been giving me a peaceful and trouble free ride all these days.

No rattles or squeaks from any part of the car. Mileage is around 13.5 to 14 km/l in Bangalore city. This is the maximum I had been able to achieve over a long term. Weak brake issue is manageable after I adjusted the switch on the foot pedal.

The jumpy idling issue is still present though it happens only during sunset. Just press the Sport mode button and it immediately settles down. Otherwise its as refined as ever and I'm very pleased with this acquisition.

Another issue that I am facing is the fading of headlamp reflectors on the top and minute horizontal cracks appearing on the headlamp lens. Planning to get both the units replaced under warranty. Looks like the lamp unit quality in the GenX is worse than that in the previous gen twist.

Also planning to get the remote controlled hatch release that they have introduced in the GenX Celebration Edition for more convenience. Was thinking of getting a dummy key made to hand over to the security at malls but the remote controlled hatch seems a better idea. I'm still not sure if the remote release is cable based or wireless. Looking at the price of about 3k it could be wireless?

Added a nappa leather custom stitched steering cover from Karlssons and boy! does it look good and feel good! The grippy leather combined with the light steering is a pleasure to use in the city.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 12:45   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Weak brake issue is manageable after I adjusted the switch on the foot pedal.

Added a nappa leather custom stitched steering cover from Karlssons and boy! does it look good and feel good! The grippy leather combined with the light steering is a pleasure to use in the city.
Hi Alphahere,
what is this switch you are referring to on the brake pedal ?
Also how much did the steering cover cost at Karlsons ?
Old 14th October 2015, 13:03   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Hi Alphahere,
what is this switch you are referring to on the brake pedal ?
Also how much did the steering cover cost at Karlsons ?
There is a switch that controls the brake light. This is also wired to enable the creep function. I adjusted the switch such that creep kicks in even on slightly releasing pressure on the brake rather than releasing the brake pedal fully. Usability wise this feels loads better than the original setting. Car does not roll back on slopes and vacuum does not run out soon in bumper to bumper. This is beacuse brake pedal moves lesser and I get more use for the stored vacuum.

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20150928wa0004.jpg
This cover cost 3.5k at Karlssons.
alphahere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 11:57   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
I am seriously contemplating to purchase a NANO AMT for my Dad. He is 75 years old, shall drive in and around Dwarka, Delhi, once in two months a drive to Pashchim Vihar to meet his brother and maybe once a month to South City Heights at Gurgaon. He shall not be doing any driving at night. Top speed that he is comfortable with is 60 kmph. Once a year I shall use it to go to the same places. The Nano AMT ticks all our requirement boxes perfectly, just want to read a long term ownership reveiw.

Are the brakes actually a concern, everyone seems to be talking about it
Would definitely recommend the automatic nano for him. As for the brakes , yes it could have been better and that's it.Nothing to worry so much about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
There is a switch that controls the brake light. This is also wired to enable the creep function. I adjusted the switch such that creep kicks in even on slightly releasing pressure on the brake rather than releasing the brake pedal fully. Usability wise this feels loads better than the original setting. Car does not roll back on slopes and vacuum does not run out soon in bumper to bumper. This is beacuse brake pedal moves lesser and I get more use for the stored vacuum.
Never knew about this control, I was also playing around with this brake-release-to-creep-kick-in timings ! Thanks for that.
I remember your note about the AR vision rear view camera in the pic. Are you finding it that useful still ?

Meanwhile 1.5K done now in two months and about to give for the first service sometime in the coming week. Hugely convenient and totally trouble free driving so far with the auto doing full justice to its intent.
A few bugs/features I noticed...

1) If I floor the accelerator while in neutral the engine rpm does not increase linearly. After about half way through , it tops out and makes a whirring noise. Should I get it checked ?
2)The driver's seat has a small storage space (or is it ? ) on the right side below. Never noticed it and the passenger does not have it !
3)There's a rear air vent in the boot. Again strangely only on the left. Also the flap has to be pushed from the inside to open. How does it then open up then if the air flows in from the vent outside ?
4) Another stupid question - the fuel tank capacity is 24 but the tube from the filling tip up front, all the way to the rear tank can hold another 3-4 liters aint it ?
5)Talking of fuel - the AFE never goes below 10. I am sure I don't get 10 kmpl at all times considering my tank to tank readings and of course thanks to bangalore traffic. My workplace is exactly 10 kms away and it takes an hour , so easy to calculate mileage figures. However move away into the open stretches and the AFE climbs to 18-19. Drastic differences between city and highway in auto mode.
6)I would have expected the spare wheel to have the rear wheel's specs considering the rear engine placement, however it is the 135. Wonder why they did that..
7) I still have not been able to open/close the dash glove boxes with consistent first-time-right statistics. Not really an issue but annoying nonetheless..Bah !
Old 17th October 2015, 14:19   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
I remember your note about the AR vision rear view camera in the pic. Are you finding it that useful still ?
People have told me having a reverse cam is too much specially for a nano! The car is only as big as an autorikshaw. But personally I need it and I find it useful as I am a short driver and the rear window sill of Tata cars is relatively so high that it can hide chairs, bicycles, kids, even mobikes from view. One fine morning in my previous Vista QJD I backed up and drove completely over the newspaper guy's moped because it was parked immediately behind and hidden. I did not feel any unusual resistance or hear any sound because the ground was soft. But the moped received the brunt of the 1 ton weight and was squished. Even my wife who was jumping up and down in front of the car failed to catch my attention because I was looking back. Don't want to repeat that ever. Also the way I have installed it really helps me to do tight parking with utmost ease because it shows me the distance to the obstacle till the last 5 cm!

Quote:
1) If I floor the accelerator while in neutral the engine rpm does not increase linearly. After about half way through , it tops out and makes a whirring noise. Should I get it checked ?
It's not a problem. This is because the revvs are limited to approx 4000 in neutral. The moment the rpm crosses 4000 the fuel is cut off and it falls below 4000 when the fuel supply starts again. Due to this continuous cycle the engine makes that whirring sound. It works much like the speed limiter which cuts in at 110km/h and keeps cutting on and off.

Quote:
2)The driver's seat has a small storage space (or is it ? ) on the right side below. Never noticed it and the passenger does not have it !
Yes, only the driver's side seat has this.

Quote:
3)There's a rear air vent in the boot. Again strangely only on the left. Also the flap has to be pushed from the inside to open. How does it then open up then if the air flows in from the vent outside ?
Don't know if that's an air vent. It looked only like some access port that can be opened to me.

Quote:
4) Another stupid question - the fuel tank capacity is 24 but the tube from the filling tip up front, all the way to the rear tank can hold another 3-4 liters aint it ?
Topping up the tank till the neck may not be advisable. Once the auto shut off happens the pump attendants keep the nozzle in the neck and keep pumping slowly. This would be a loss for us as customers because much of the fuel will overflow back into their tank and we are paying for this too! If filling to the neck is a must then make sure the tip of the nozzle is outside where you can see the fuel flowing rather than being submerged in the foaming fuel. About your question the auto cut off happens at about 23L and till the brim at about 28L for me! This is after 'refuel' appears on the display. I am sure topping up till the neck will give the GenX a fantastic range on the highway.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 19:58   #576
BHPian

What is the waiting period for AMT now ? I heard its being 10 weeks now. Yesterday my cousin booked one and the dealer was not committing the delivery before 10 to 12 weeks :( although the same dealer have me my AMT in 6 weeks !!
Old 21st October 2015, 12:29   #577

Waiting time in bangalore is now 12 weeks. Lucky if delivered in 10 weeks.
I saw a new board indicating the wait time.

Sales consultant in bangalore tells that it depends on the color which tata manufactures. If booking for a particular color is more then chance that it gets delivered in 10 weeks!
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:33   #578
BHPian

Note From Support: Post deleted. Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd October 2015 at 18:19. Reason: See note.
Old 24th October 2015, 14:57   #579
BHPian

I have booked my nano genx XT in Concorde motors Dairy circle. Apart from the regular PDI, do I need to check anything else?
Old 30th October 2015, 18:26   #580
BHPian

I booked a NanoGenX XTA AMT for my dad yesterday after I test drove my friend's XTA AMT. I felt its a hasslefree car and so decided to book one for my dad. We booked a Pearl White from Aadya motors, Hebbal. They said Shangrila Red has a waiting period of 10 to 14 weeks. Hoping Pearl White gets delivered on or before the promised period (8-10 weeks).
Old 30th October 2015, 20:35   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
I booked a NanoGenX XTA AMT for my dad yesterday after I test drove my friend's XTA AMT. I felt its a hasslefree car and so decided to book one for my dad. We booked a Pearl White from Aadya motors, Hebbal. They said Shangrila Red has a waiting period of 10 to 14 weeks. Hoping Pearl White gets delivered on or before the promised period (8-10 weeks).
Congrats on the booking, were there any offers for the XTA other than the corporate discount of 3k? I was also given the 8-10 weeks waiting time. Purple, Red and White are in demand as against the Persian Rose which is a made to order colour - of which they seem to have sold 2 so far.
Old 30th October 2015, 21:26   #582
BHPian

Finally got my blue tall boy it's XT variant. Will post my dealer and initial experience later. In short the genx nano is far better in interior and ride handling than its competitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-image.jpeg  

sairamboko is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 11:36   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Congrats on the booking, were there any offers for the XTA other than the corporate discount of 3k? I was also given the 8-10 weeks waiting time. Purple, Red and White are in demand as against the Persian Rose which is a made to order colour - of which they seem to have sold 2 so far.
Thank you. Congrats on the booking. There were no other offers other than corporate discount. However I was contemplating whether or not to purchase the Annual Maintenance Care of 3551/- . Hope you get your car before the waiting time.
Old 1st November 2015, 20:16   #584
BHPian

I booked a GenX Nano XTA Dazzle Blue colour at CONCORDE OMR today. The car is for my for my wife. Waiting time given is 8-12 weeks. Absolutely no discount given, even corporate discount for a TCS employee!! Would be happy if the car is delivered before Christmas, but the SA was non-comittal. The TD and booking experience was good, not great, yet not bad either. The SA (Mr. Vijay) was pretty knowledgable about the car and explained every thing very well. The car is very easy to drive and my wife went gung-ho over the golf cart size car. It was the first time she was ever behind the wheels of a car and she absolutely loved it.

Can't wait for the car to be delivered. With Magneti Marelli setting up an additional plant for the AMT boxes in Manesar, is there a possibility that the waiting time on the Nano AMT will come down?

Last edited by y2ksrs : 1st November 2015 at 20:28. Reason: Missed something previously
Old 2nd November 2015, 00:14   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Finally got my blue tall boy it's XT variant. Will post my dealer and initial experience later. In short the genx nano is far better in interior and ride handling than its competitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
The car is for my for my wife. The car is very easy to drive and my wife went gung-ho over the golf cart size car. It was the first time she was ever behind the wheels of a car.

A word of caution to both of you, especially for "y2ksrs" based on your wife's driving experience :

The Nano has a very broad 'A' pillar. Entire cars and bikes are concealed from the driver's vision because of the A pillar.

After nearly 5 years of driving this car, I can confidently say that this 'A' pillar by itself is enough to make this car unsuitable for new drivers.

Please make it a habit to move your body and head forwards and backwards at every Chowk / intersection and check for incoming traffic.
john doe is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed